Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,573 members, 7,809,091 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:48 PM

Am I Over Reacting? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Am I Over Reacting? (3856 Views)

I'm Worried Am I Over Reacting ? / AM I Over Reacting / Am I Over Reacting? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I Over Reacting? by thorpido(m): 12:50pm On Jan 28, 2013
kambo: i read your post and sense discomfort from the artificiality expected of you. The insinuation you arent smart/sensitive enuff to adapt wtout rules. Its insulting. If he's giving you rules now, u bet more rules will follow and since you will hate being reigned in , friction will b inevitable in the long run. Think divorce no. 3!. Tell him to instead make his relations adjust to you. Your not marrying his mum or grand mum but him. You're not startg a family wt his relations. The bible says man and woman will leave parents (father n mother) to cleave together to become 1 (pardon this if u aint christian). I dont even know any verse that talks abt parental seal of approval 4 marraige. Compatibility shd b btween you and him,cuz that affects the survivability of your marraige. Every other party should conform to ur union not dictate it! Many wives are continually in a triad try to b all things to all groups of people apart from hussy:: mother-in-law, relations etc. If u have a loud mouth let him tell his relations this and let them prepare for this not the othrway round.
U don marry?
Re: Am I Over Reacting? by vizion: 1:21pm On Jan 28, 2013
mondi_cheeks: you are over reacting, tell him how u feel about the do's and dont's...you are a grown woman and im sure u know how to behave in front of ur future husband's family

how is she going to know how to behave if she does not know the do's and don't for her in-laws.

are you going to greet the 'Ooni of Ife', the same way you greet the 'Oba of Benin' or the same way you greet the 'Sultan of Sokoto', her mother in law did not give her do's and dont's in her American home, now she is coming to Nigeria, do you want her to shame her husband among his peers.

Princess1982: Its not just my mouth apparently there is a list of things and if its that serious he should go find a more appropriate girlfriend who fits in that box.

don't be annoyed if you have not yet seen the content of the list, do you know if the list contains the tradition of his people?

OP should first make known the content of the list, for us to know if what they asked of her is demeaning or not.
Re: Am I Over Reacting? by Princess1982(f): 2:51pm On Jan 28, 2013
I guess my problem is how he brung it up to me. He basically said I have a list of things you will follow on your next visit. I guess I reacted the way I did because, of the tone don't tell me I will follow anything when you can easily talk to me and suggest a few things.I am not a puppy that needs to be trained. So anyway I finally returned his call after 17 voice mail and he's going to send text the list anyway he says what I don't like then don't change so if I see something to over the top I will definitely post them here. I love this man and I definitely don't want him to look bad in front of his family so I will compromise on somethings.

1 Like

Re: Am I Over Reacting? by thorpido(m): 2:59pm On Jan 28, 2013
Princess1982: I guess my problem is how he brung it up to me. He basically said I have a list of things you will follow on your next visit. I guess I reacted the way I did because, of the tone don't tell me I will follow anything when you can easily talk to me and suggest a few things.I am not a puppy that needs to be trained. So anyway I finally returned his call after 17 voice mail and he's going to send text the list anyway he says what I don't like then don't change so if I see something to over the top I will definitely post them here. I love this man and I definitely don't want him to look bad in front of his family so I will compromise on somethings.
okay, see the list and let us know what u have issues with so we advise.It's good u are talking about compromise.
Re: Am I Over Reacting? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jan 28, 2013
Princess1982: I guess my problem is how he brung it up to me. He basically said I have a list of things you will follow on your next visit. I guess I reacted the way I did because, of the tone don't tell me I will follow anything when you can easily talk to me and suggest a few things.I am not a puppy that needs to be trained. So anyway I finally returned his call after 17 voice mail and he's going to send text the list anyway he says what I don't like then don't change so if I see something to over the top I will definitely post them here. I love this man and I definitely don't want him to look bad in front of his family so I will compromise on somethings.
Now you are talking. . . smiley
Re: Am I Over Reacting? by nobniger: 3:28pm On Jan 28, 2013
I don't think you're ready for marriage, you just think you're. The real you is still hidden,not by U and so in my humble openion, not ready for marriage. still confused?, well I'll come back, have to go

Re: Am I Over Reacting? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jan 28, 2013
vizion:

how is she going to know how to behave if she does not know the do's and don't for her in-laws.

are you going to greet the 'Ooni of Ife', the same way you greet the 'Oba of Benin' or the same way you greet the 'Sultan of Sokoto', her mother in law did not give her do's and dont's in her American home, now she is coming to Nigeria, do you want her to shame her husband among his peers.
why go half way across the world to get a wife when u know u will want to treat her like a child and not as a spouse undecided
Re: Am I Over Reacting? by UjSizzle(f): 4:27pm On Jan 28, 2013
that's my girl smiley
Re: Am I Over Reacting? by Princess1982(f): 6:30am On Jan 29, 2013
I guess the two most unreasonable things on the list is he don't want me to talk to much about my pass which is kind of understandable. I'm not ashamed of it however I'm not exactly proud of it but I'm willing to compromise and not say to much. Then the other he wants me to cook at least one meal from his culture on his house helps day off now that might be a problem because, I can't cook American dishes but he promised something simple and said his mother would be there to help. The other things on the list .are just a few tips so I don't feel out of place.
Re: Am I Over Reacting? by Princess1982(f): 6:37am On Jan 29, 2013
So I apologized for over reacting and explained to him that I have never been submissive and I don't like being told what to do, his response was you can be guided. WTF is that supposed to mean? Lol but that's another story!
Re: Am I Over Reacting? by Nobody: 7:10am On Jan 29, 2013
Princess1982: So I apologized for over reacting and explained to him that I have never been submissive and I don't like being told what to do, his response was you can be guided. WTF is that supposed to mean? Lol but that's another story!
Lol.

Your problems are over. He really loves you. No spoil am. 2 weeks is not 2 months. Engage his mother in other activities. Ask her questions about the language. Mothers are funny beings. Once they like you as a potential daughter inlaw, even their son will have her to answer to if anything goes wrong.

3 Likes

Re: Am I Over Reacting? by Afamdman(m): 7:19am On Jan 29, 2013
Princess1982: So I apologized for over reacting and explained to him that I have never been submissive and I don't like being told what to do, his response was you can be guided. WTF is that supposed to mean? Lol but that's another story!
wow you have never been submissive, hmmm that explains the 2 divorces. Well my dear I hope you learn submission its your power over the man hopefully you learn and it don't lead to divorce number 3. Shaking my head for you. But I pity this your new husband him don jam rock. Either he is a sissy that likes women like you, or he will try to break you either way not good for him. Him no open him eyes look well and ask you why the other 2 divorces, might I be bold to ask why r u a 2 time divorcee what was wrong with the other men?

1 Like

Re: Am I Over Reacting? by Nobody: 7:24am On Jan 29, 2013
Afamdman: wow you have never been submissive, hmmm that explains the 2 divorces. Well my dear I hope you learn submission its your power over the man hopefully you learn and it don't lead to divorce number 3. Shaking my head for you. But I pity this your new husband him don jam rock. Either he is a sissy that likes women like you, or he will try to break you either way not good for him. Him no open him eyes look well and ask you why the other 2 divorces, might I be bold to ask why r u a 2 time divorcee what was wrong with the other men?

None of your damned business.

3 Likes

Re: Am I Over Reacting? by chronique(m): 9:08am On Jan 29, 2013
Princess1982: If he likes me the way I am then why wouldn't his family and I won't talk to him because, I always speak whats on my mind and that might not be good right now. As a matter of fact my last husband said the only mistake God made with me was giving me vocal cords to speak but since then I been working on it.

Your last husband was right. If you're a christian,read the book of proverbs very well. In one of the books, it says: "a fool speaketh all that is in his heart". You're a lady;use your head more often than you use your mouth. Learn to briddle your tongue. 99.9% of the problems in marriages start with what comes out of the mouth by both partners. No one is asking you to pretend or be what you're not. Just a lil tact here & there would save the day. The truth about life is that,it's not compulsory you share your views & opinions all the time. Most especially,when with an extended family.

1 Like

Re: Am I Over Reacting? by SAFO(m): 11:33am On Jan 29, 2013
Princess1982: I guess the two most unreasonable things on the list is he don't want me to talk to much about my pass which is kind of understandable. I'm not ashamed of it however I'm not exactly proud of it but I'm willing to compromise and not say to much. Then the other he wants me to cook at least one meal from his culture on his house helps day off now that might be a problem because, I can't cook American dishes but he promised something simple and said his mother would be there to help. The other things on the list .are just a few tips so I don't feel out of place.

For clarification purpose, does this mean you don't know how to cook or that you're just not allowed to cook an American meal for his family on that particular day.

....... Please say it's the latter :::prays::::
Re: Am I Over Reacting? by P4VS20: 11:38am On Jan 29, 2013
Princess1982: So I'm planning my second trip to Nigeria May 9th we will be saying in my boyfriends home state now I have already met his mother and she seems to be ok with me however on this trip I am suppose to meet his extended family being he is the oldest boy and his father is now deceased he took on the role as somewhat the provider of his family. So for some reason I am being told that everybody is going to be looking to point out every flaw in me and compare me to his first wife who everybody loved so much who is now deceased. Now I have delt with in laws before and always made a good impression but this is different he told me last night that him and his mother is going to put a list of do's and don'ts together for me to (FOLLOW) I am not a child. Teach me culture teach me customs and tradition but I am not a actress and I will not pretend I am something I am not. So I hung up haven't accepted or returned any of his calls am I wrong?

you hung up? and re not returning any of his calls and u said u always made good impressions. yeah u do make good impressions. lol.

whats hard in american dishes? you have a whole wealth of free resources. c'mon will u enter the kitchen n start learning. they dont wanna know if u perfect at it or not, but re you willing to take that extra effort which it seems to me u think u re a princess n every will just fall on ur lap. okay oh.
Re: Am I Over Reacting? by P4VS20: 11:38am On Jan 29, 2013
hmmmm.
Re: Am I Over Reacting? by P4VS20: 11:47am On Jan 29, 2013
Princess1982: The mom could careless who he marry she just wants him to be happy. However I think his mom is worried about how her mother his Grandmother,aunts, ect. Will accept me and Im not proud that my words hurt I just always speak my mind and sometimes the truth hurts. I want his family to accept me but then again I don't really care if they don't. The man put a 17000 dollar trillion cut engagement ring on my finger and thats U.S. dollars so you would think he would let me be myself.

well you accepted the ring naa, better accept the laws for now too or give him his ring back n tell him u wanna be yourself.
Re: Am I Over Reacting? by Princess1982(f): 2:20pm On Jan 29, 2013
SAFO: .

For clarification purpose, does this mean you don't know how to cook or that you're just not allowed to cook an American meal for his family on that particular day.

....... Please say it's the latter :::prays::::
It means I don't cook and really can't cook not unless its simple.
Re: Am I Over Reacting? by SAFO(m): 2:39pm On Jan 29, 2013
Princess1982: It means I don't cook and really can't cook not unless its simple.

Wow that man must really love you. grin
Re: Am I Over Reacting? by Princess1982(f): 2:57pm On Jan 29, 2013
SAFO:

Lol I told him in the past I couldn't cook all he said was no wahala! Then he said he can cook if we get hungry grin
Re: Am I Over Reacting? by P4VS20: 9:48pm On Jan 29, 2013
this is beginning to sound like fiction. undecided i berra bounce to another thread
Re: Am I Over Reacting? by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jan 29, 2013
@op, inasmuch as I'm all for independent women, there is a time for everything.

There is a time to talk and there is a time to be quiet.
There is a time to display wisdom, and there is a time to display foolishness.
There is a time to be guided, and there is a time to follow your own path.
There is a time to be submissive, and there is a time to lead.

Your fiance knows the terrain better than you in this case, why don't you let him guide you for now.
Re: Am I Over Reacting? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Jan 29, 2013
SAFO:

Nor be small love oh my brother....
*Imagining* my future wife can't cook, and she is not ready to learn...... shocked shocked shocked

The loff will die instantly..... grin grin grin
Re: Am I Over Reacting? by Princess1982(f): 1:03am On Jan 30, 2013
P4VS20: this is beginning to sound like fiction. undecided i berra bounce to another thread
Bye bye!
Re: Am I Over Reacting? by kedukc(m): 6:42am On Jan 30, 2013
@OP, your heart is telling you that something is wrong, hence the cessation in communication. It's almost like how the body reacts to foreign pathogens.

I just want to remind you that you're living in a free world, and your nobody's slave.

Cheers.
Re: Am I Over Reacting? by Boss13: 7:17am On Jan 30, 2013
The poster is not ready for marriage. She needs to be tolerant and self controlling. What's the bullshit about expressing your mind all the time. There are certain times you keep quiet, you don't have to open your mouth to tell the whole world about your opinion. I just think you are fighting a self esteem issue. FYI, marrying a Nigerian is hard work, it is even harder than your present job. I would advise you to reconsider your decision.

What's with Nigerian guys sef? Is it self esteem issues that makes you consider marrying a foreigner and you begin to beg her to accept your culture? Later in life you begin to complain. People should get their priority right from beginning. When someone is not like you, he/she is not like you. Don't change them.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Over Reacting? by Princess1982(f): 2:18pm On Jan 30, 2013
When I say I always speak my mind its not like all day I just go around speaking my mind. What I mean is if I am engaged in a conversation or if somebody is doing or saying something I don't like or agree with then I will state my opinion and sometimes I am very verbal about it. Then as far as me not being ready for marriage well its not like Im getting married tomorrow. Then as far as Nigerian men marrying foreigns they all have there reason but I highly doubt his is a self esteem issue I think he just like who he like.
Re: Am I Over Reacting? by Onegai(f): 3:34pm On Jan 30, 2013
A smart matured nigerian man told me that nigerian women are artificial because nigerian men are insecure. He's very right: what this nigerian man will never accept in his nigerian gf, is what he's willing to tolerate in his foreign gf. OP, I was on your side from your first post, then you began to post some more and now, I'm on his side. More stuff like this is going to happen and it's best you decide to accept his culture without losing yourself or know that you wanna stay proudly american (you sound black american) and leave this guy.
Re: Am I Over Reacting? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jan 30, 2013
But na wa sha oo!
In this day and age a full grown man would sit with his mother and give a full grown lady a list of do's and don'ts ?
Abeg op if I may ask, how old are you? Are u a teenager? Hmm..... Odikwa serious matter oo!
But wait oo! Is this guy in question an only son or an only child? Is he a teenager?

Well sha....
Try to discuss this issue over with him and let there be a compromise between both of you.If a compromise is reached, Also be ready for more interventions from this guys momma in the future.
But remember marriage is for better for worse....... If you know you really can't fit into the plan of him and his mum, its better he knows now. Please do not pretend.
Re: Am I Over Reacting? by chikeorji123(m): 12:35am On Jan 31, 2013
I' not comfortable with this Op
she sound so arrogants that's america for u.hey this is nigeria.
she can't cook..l pity this young man or is he under a spell?.
Even sexkill have to argue b/f she bend to understand to flow..
Divocee no 2? which means no 3 is inevitable? offcourse l bet my last card on it..
Just imagine her name Princess1982 from america? what happen our nigerian 1982princess down to 1990?..Honestly our guy need to visit synagogue immediately l smell foul play here.. *no offence*.
Re: Am I Over Reacting? by Princess1982(f): 1:39am On Jan 31, 2013
AmBeautiful: But na wa sha oo!
In this day and age a full grown man would sit with his mother and give a full grown lady a list of do's and don'ts ?
Abeg op if I may ask, how old are you? Are u a teenager? Hmm..... Odikwa serious matter oo!
But wait oo! Is this guy in question an only son or an only child? Is he a teenager?

Well sha....
Try to discuss this issue over with him and let there be a compromise between both of you.If a compromise is reached, Also be ready for more interventions from this guys momma in the future.
But remember marriage is for better for worse....... If you know you really can't fit into the plan of him and his mum, its better he knows now. Please do not pretend.
He is the oldest boy there is actually 4 Children in his family a younger brother and 2 sisters and he is actually 42 years old.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Guys: What Would You Do If You Were A GIRL For One Day? / 37 Interesting Things About Women That Guys Don't Know / N*ggas Talk More Than B*tches These Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.