Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,236 members, 7,780,449 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:40 PM

$67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate (15196 Views)

Apapa Blasts: Lagos Issues First-line Order To Public Schools / OBJ's Letter: Al-Mustapha Challenges Obasanjo To Public Debate Over Allegations / Oil Marketers Paid Labaru Maku To Protest Fuel Subsidy Removal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

$67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by fkaz(m): 10:14am On Jan 28, 2013
N10.6trn controversy: Ezekwesili challenges Maku to public debate

Former Minister of Education, Dr. Obiageli Ezekwesili has challenged officials of the Federal Government to a public debate following the government’s rebuttal to her comments alleging that the governments of Presidents Umaru Musa Yar’Adua and Goodluck Jonathan, squandered $67 billion (about N10.6trn) in foreign reserves.

Minister of Information, Mr Labaran Maku who addressed a press conference in Abuja on Sunday described Ezekwesili’s allegation as “outlandish and clearly fictitious.”

Maku also said the damning verdict passed on the education sector by Mrs Ezekwesili was a self-indictment, as she presided over the sector for 10 months without making any positive impact on it.

Countering Maku, the former minister, Mrs Ezekwesili said, “I Challenge them to a public debate of facts regarding 2007 Excess Crude Account (ECA) and foreign reserve and last five and half years oil revenue”.

Also writing on twitter on Sunday in messages prefaced with the declaration, “Nothing but Accountability”, Ezekwesili said: “In 2007, the incoming Administration was handed $45Billion in Foreign Reserve plus $22Billion. Nothing but accountability: Let Mr. Maku go further. As a citizen all I want to know is the Mathematics of the ECA and the Foreign Reserve. Nothing but accountability: I demanded accountability and that’s all a citizen asks of government. I will not stop asking for accountability.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/01/67-billion-controversy-ezekwesili-challenges-maku-to-public-debate/

Ezekwesili Reiterates Challenge of Federal Government To Debate Transparency and Accountability

Oby Ezekwesili, who at the weekend accused Nigeria’s governments since 2007 of “squandering of the significant sum of $45 Billion in foreign reserve account and another $22Billion in the Excess Crude Account,” today said she remains resolute “in demanding full disclosure and accountability by the Federal Government on the issues of poor management of oil revenues.”

The former World Bank Vice President for Africa made her original remarks during last week’s convocation lecture at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, following which the Minister of Information, Labaran Maku, accused Mrs. Ezekwesili of “misinformation” and “a surprisingly limited understanding of government finances.”

Although Maku made these sweeping statements, he did not provide any substance to his attempted rebuttal of Mrs. Ezekwesili, who was briefly the Minister of Education before her departure for the World Bank.
But Minister Maku did say of Mrs. Ezekwesili that she “collected” N352.3 billion as Minister of Education, suggesting that Ministerial budgets are normally “collected” by Ministers.

[b]“I wish to reassure Nigerians that my integrity and transparent record in public office can never be tarnished by baseless allegations regarding my ten months as Minister of Education,” Mrs. Ezekwesili responded today.

She added: “Citizens who follow Education sector closely will know that the Education Sector budget which the Government spokesperson carelessly referred to represents the consolidated direct budgetary allocation by the National Assembly to the 22 parastatals plus all the Federal Universities, Polytechnics and Colleges of Education in the country. At no time does a sitting Minister of Education have access to the Budgets of statutory bodies under her Ministry.”

During her lecture, Mrs. Ezekwesili said, among others, “Six years after the administration I served handed over such humongous national wealth to another one; most Nigerians but especially the poor continue to suffer the effects of failing public health and education systems as well as decrepit infrastructure and battered institutions. One cannot but ask, what exactly does Nigeria convey with this level of brazen misappropriation of public resources? Where did all that money go? Where is the accountability for the use of both these resources plus the additional several hundred billions of dollars realized from oil sale by the two administrations that have governed our nation in the last six years? How were these resources applied or more appropriately, misapplied? Tragic choices! Yes. Our national dignity continues to be degraded by cycles of stagnation because of the terrible choices my generation and those before repeatedly make as a result of free oil money. The wealth and poverty of a nation never found a better Symbol!"[/b]

An apparently startled government, finding itself under such withering assault from a credible international figure, responded through Mr. Maku, who seemed determined only to inflict a personal attack on the speaker. Not once did he focus on the challenge offered by Mrs. Ezekwesili, which is on good governance on the grounds of transparency and accountability.

The former Minister, who was also widely-known for her leadership of the Due Process department in the presidency before she became a Minister, pounced: “I have already asked the Federal Government to a PUBLIC DEBATE of the FACTS raised in my speech,” she said in her response today.

“Such an open debate of facts and figures of oil revenue since 2007 would help situate public accountability as the centerpoint of our democracy. In accepting to publicly debate the questions raised in my speech, the Federal Government would model the democratic culture of responding to citizens' demands for accountability especially at a time when the general public is eager for improvements in the good governance records of the Administration.”

Shying away from the central issue, Mr. Maku merely urged Nigerians to acknowledge the achievements of the government. He did not say what those achievements are.

Nor did he say whether the government will accept the challenge to publicly debate the facts concerning government expenditure of Nigeria’s oil revenues.

In December 2011, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo similarly blasted the Goodluck Jonathan government, saying it had squandered over $35 billion of Nigeria’s foreign reserves since May 2007. The former President said the money may have been “shared.”
Mr. Jonathan has since declared that the only entity that is fighting corruption more than his administration is the United States.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/ezekwesili-reiterates-challenge-federal-government-debate-transparency-and-accountability

2 Likes

Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by frodobee: 10:21am On Jan 28, 2013
Is it too much to ask for?

4 Likes

Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jan 28, 2013
This is the kind of Answer I love to hear, If you think you have facts, lets debate, Maku this is not SUG debate, u r dealing with an Intellectual, she gonna wallop u and Jona's a$$ grin

31 Likes

Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by garrix8: 3:33pm On Jan 28, 2013
Maku's gonna be pulverised should he accept the challenge..

All he knows how to do is lie...

2 Likes

Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by Geomac: 3:38pm On Jan 28, 2013
garri (x8):
Maku's gonna be pulverised should he accept the challenge..

All he knows how to do is lie...

Maku will not honour such intellectual debate. He is known for telling lies and Madam Oby will disgrace him.
Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by Afam4eva(m): 3:41pm On Jan 28, 2013
Soludo and Oby Ezekwesili are wicked human beings. They always challenge people that don't measure up to debates so that they will embarrass them. Maku should better apologize, so that he'll be left alone.

31 Likes

Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jan 28, 2013
Afam4eva: Soludo and Oby Ezekwesili are wicked human beings. They always challenge people that don't measure up to debates so that they will embarrass them. Maku should better apologize, so that he'll be left alone.
So because they are intelligent makes them wicked? na their fault say dem sabi book?

5 Likes

Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by fkaz(m): 5:54pm On Jan 28, 2013
Let channel TV call this woman for interview on this issue, even if maku chickenout

4 Likes

Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by OmoTier1(m): 7:29pm On Jan 28, 2013
Good that this woman has shown that Nigerians of great intellects can not all be bought with money! Let Maku come out and debt with Oby so the people would know who is lying! This is where NTA and FRCN. Ought to be playing the middle man of the common good! Invite these two folks for Straight talk and let the people know the truth. Like the bible. Says, and they shall know the truth and the truth shall make them free!

3 Likes

Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by ballabriggs: 12:23am On Jan 29, 2013
I read Labaran Maku's response to Obiageli Ezekwesili's lecture at the University of Nigeria Nsukka and I find it quite foolish and unintelligent. I majored in International Capital flows and Finance and I must confess I have never in my life read such a lame defence by anyone on a nations depleting reserves. Fact is Sanusi Lamido Sanusi and Ngozi Okonjo Iweala could never have come out to give such a foolish response. If they try it, they lose their reputation as every knowledgeable Economist would have questioned their knowledge.

So it was a case of who shall we send and it had to be no other than the low life called Labaran Maku. RIP Labaran Maku, you have no life.

Which explains the very point: corruption fights back. Corruption not only defends itself; in Nigeria, it advertises in Eagle Square. Corruption blackmails; on the offensive, it paints everything in its own colours.
In Private Jets For Jesus By Sonala Olumhense

5 Likes

Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by Eziachi: 12:34am On Jan 29, 2013
Over to you Maku. This is not a play ground bullying tactic of calling name to deflect the real issues front the front burner.
Since you believe that Mrs Ezekwesili should be judged by her ten months stay in the education ministry,but everyday you kept reminding us that 3 years of your boss at the helm is too little to measure anything.

13 Likes

Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by Nobody: 2:03am On Jan 29, 2013
Haha, I dey laugh oh. grin

Maku better accepts the challenge in order to further make the case for GEJ's handling of the economy. I think Maku should be able to hold his own in the debate beacuse he is a gifted public speaker.

1 Like

Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by 2bosun: 2:04am On Jan 29, 2013
This is getting childish. Please can anyone name one significant achievement our Madam completed while in office?? undecided

It's always easy to criticise successors while you're out of office.. same goes to you OBJ!

6 Likes

Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by manny4life(m): 2:05am On Jan 29, 2013
ballabriggs: I read Labaran Maku's response to Obiageli Ezekwesili's lecture at the University of Nigeria Nsukka and I find it quite foolish and unintelligent. I majored in International Capital flows and Finance and I must confess I have never in my life read such a lame defence by anyone on a nations depleting reserves. Fact is Sanusi Lamido Sanusi and Ngozi Okonjo Iweala could never have come out to give such a foolish response. If they try it, they lose their reputation as every knowledgeable Economist would have questioned their knowledge.

So it was a case of who shall we send and it had to be no other than the low life called Labaran Maku. RIP Labaran Maku, you have no life.

Dude, which one did you study - Finance or Economics? Abi, is it both?

I remember one thread they talked about stating what you studied, you claimed to have about 6 certifications in economics, now it's finance kwa? You know me I did not go to school, so please kowashiate? undecided undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by Nobody: 2:05am On Jan 29, 2013
I laughed really hard. Jonathan can only debate himself.
Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by ziccoit: 2:06am On Jan 29, 2013
Government should go back to the people as aptly described by the term "democracy". Enough of using fake PhD to decieve people. grin
Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by manny4life(m): 2:07am On Jan 29, 2013
Apparently, he will not honor the challenge, he doesn't look like someone who has the agility to argue nor influence. When I saw him on his tour on the Geometric Power Plant, I thought instantly, he wasn't fit for the position he holds. To me o, he doesn't have the WOW effect.
Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by Nobody: 2:07am On Jan 29, 2013
manny4life:

I remember one thread they talked about stating what you studied, you claimed to have about 6 certifications in economics, now it's finance kwa? You know me I did not go to school, so please kowashiate? undecided undecided undecided

LWKMD! grin grin. Dude, u are too funny. cheesy
Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by ballabriggs: 2:08am On Jan 29, 2013
manny4life:

Mr man quit stalking me. I studied Development Economics and Finance and I qualified as a Chartered Accountant in 2007 majoring in Finance and Taxation.

19 Likes

Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by Nobody: 2:09am On Jan 29, 2013
manny4life: Apparently, he will not honor the challenge, he doesn't look like someone who has the agility to argue nor influence. When I saw him on his tour on the Geometric Power Plant, I thought instantly, he wasn't fit for the position he holds. To me o, he doesn't have the WOW effect.

Haha. Labaran Maku don enter one chance for this thread. grin
It'll be better if he debates T.A. orji, the guy that is comparable to Mandela. grin grin

11 Likes

Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by manny4life(m): 2:10am On Jan 29, 2013
CFCfan:

LWKMD! grin grin. Dude, u are too funny. cheesy

Look bros, I just need clarity... that's why I asked.
Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by Nobody: 2:10am On Jan 29, 2013
ballabriggs:

Mr man quit stalking me. I studied Development Economics and Finance and I qualified as a Chartered Accountant in 2007 majoring in Finance and Taxation.

Wow! You really know your stuff. That is impressive.

Your profile personal text made me ROTFL grin grin

1 Like

Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by manny4life(m): 2:12am On Jan 29, 2013
ballabriggs:

Stalking you? See me see trouble o, you're not worth stalking man, don't get it twisted. I just asked a question, nothing else... I noticed the anomaly in your claims that's why I asked.
Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by solomon111(m): 2:12am On Jan 29, 2013
Make this woman go sit down jor.
Where have you seen any FG in the world debating so-called intellectuals?.
Take them to court if you must,but not some senseless debate.
Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by dayokanu(m): 2:13am On Jan 29, 2013
Jesus Christ!!!!! Madam due process Challenge the govt to a debate? Ezekwezili funny oohh..

Does she think any of these govt official would ever debate any of their lies?

Unless na DBanj go be the moderator as usual

DBanj and Kokolette Goodluck

6 Likes

Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by manny4life(m): 2:14am On Jan 29, 2013
CFCfan:

It'll be better if he debates T.A. orji, the guy that is comparable to Mandela. grin grin

You know when you build on lies for so long, it becomes the truth. The man will not come out at this point, perhaps, he will give excuses...
Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by Nobody: 2:15am On Jan 29, 2013
Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by Nobody: 2:17am On Jan 29, 2013
CFCfan:

grin grin grin
Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by iamswizz(m): 2:18am On Jan 29, 2013
Good night pals... #About to sleep
Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by manny4life(m): 2:19am On Jan 29, 2013
iamswizz: Good night pals... #About to sleep

Good night, don't worry when you wake tomorrow, you'll hear that Maku was intelligently massacred...

1 Like

Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by jawjaw1: 2:29am On Jan 29, 2013
This scenario reminds me of Femi Fani-Kayode and Prof Wole Soyinka some years back. Fani-Kayode was like a mouth piece to Obasanjo's govt then as Maku is now, and was running his mouth as just the same way Maku is now. By the time Soyinka finished with him he was reduced to a featherless chicken brought to the market to be sold. The story was that he begged for forgiveness in private.

The lesson is simple, dont fight very smart people in an area where intelligence counts let alone in their area of competence. I pity Maku because by the time Madam (Due Process) Oby finishes with him, he will be the govt's laughing stock for the rest of this administration and a serious point of mockery for all of the govts critics. It has become a case of allowing oneself to look stupid and foolish to a whole country just to hold on to dat juicy govt job.

Nevertheless, I believe Maku is also a smart guy, because i bet you, he will never show up for the challenged debate.

3 Likes

Re: $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate by OAM4J: 2:31am On Jan 29, 2013
2bosun: This is getting childish. Please can anyone name one significant achievement our Madam completed while in office?? undecided

It's always easy to criticise successors while you're out of office.. same goes to you OBJ!

I will give you a pointer: She was nicknamed Madam Due-Process while in office. Found out why and you will have answers to your questions.

If Jonathan had been blessed with another person like her in budget department, the billions of Naira lost to subsidy fraud most likely wouldn't have happened.

16 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigeria Immigration Seizes 452 PVCs, ID Cards From Niger Republic Nationals / Federal Government Have Started Paying February Salary And First 28days. / Dry Season: Enugu Buys Rapid Response Vehicles For Fire Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.