Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,686 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:21 PM

How To Start Your Own E-commerce Business In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Start Your Own E-commerce Business In Nigeria (3223 Views)

Nairaland Mentorship Group: Own E-currency Printing Millionaire Maker Biz Wit 5k / E-commerce Business Opportunities. / E-commerce Business For Sale! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Start Your Own E-commerce Business In Nigeria by ceomike(m): 12:03pm On Jan 28, 2013
Its another brand new week that has a whole lot of potential to be a great one. I would like to discuss on how you can start your own e-commerce business in Nigeria. This is an area a good number of businesses is doing well today. Since E-bay started online sales, a lot of them have been set-up in different countries and doing well already. We have a good number of successful e-commerce start-ups in Nigeria like Deal Dey, Jumia and many more. In this article, I would be exposing you to what and what is needed to set-up your own business in Nigeria.

Requirements:

1. Goods to sell
2. A very good website
3. Advertising Funds
4. Delivery men.

What To Sell

Before going into your online business, you have to consider what type of goods to sell. There are products that are sure to sell online in Nigeria and there are products that just would not no matter how hard you try to sell them. The best selling products today in Nigeria are mobile phones and accessories, clothing and home gadgets.

It is also preferable you do a thorough research on products people search for online to buy. If you also have a very nice idea on a product you feel would sell, then you can take online. There are many products you can sell. You can start your own online fast food store where people would order food online and have it delivered to them. Before you decide to start your business, you must think thoroughly on the products you want to sell.

Online Website

Your website would turn out to be your office. Its your only tool to pass information to prospective clients and also get them to buy from you. An e-commerce website, can cost you between N70k-N500k depending on the level of website needed. There are some good website designers in Nigeria willing to meet your needs. For a start especially with low capital, you do not need a very big website. Pick one or two products, get your website up and start selling.

The website would come with an e-payment system so people can pay with their ATM cards or credit cards.

Advertising

Its one thing to own a website and its another thing to get it exposed. One vital method to making money doing this business is good advertising. When i talk of advertising, I am talking of online marketing. Because your prospective clients are online and would search online, you would need to promote your products via the internet.

There are a lot of online advertising companies, you can start with in Nigeria today. They include:

Facebook Advertising
Google Advertising
Addynamo
Sharetori
Bloovue

I would be writing a detailed article on the best advertising methods later this week.

Delivery Men

This is optional but if you have big budget, you can do with one or two delivery men to help deliver your goods.

One of the basic rule in online marketing is that you have to stay strong and sell the right goods. Delivering on time is key and your product must be of top quality.

Source: http://www.michaelokeje.com/2013/01/tips-to-starting-ecommerce-business-in.html
Re: How To Start Your Own E-commerce Business In Nigeria by neksummi(m): 12:45pm On Jan 28, 2013
Good stuff. Will be following.
Re: How To Start Your Own E-commerce Business In Nigeria by ceomike(m): 2:05pm On Jan 28, 2013
Thanks. Expect more
Re: How To Start Your Own E-commerce Business In Nigeria by Bowlexzy(m): 3:06pm On May 31, 2017
Hello, I am Samuel Bolu; Freelance computer technician, product manager, web content strategist and social media manager. I have worked with eCommerce companies and also small medium enterprise to help manage and monitor their sites. So do you want to start selling your products on Konga, Jumia, Bargainmaster, SME Markethub etc or you need your products on your site? Or are you new to e-commerce? And you need help registering and uploading your products? With marketing that increases sales? I am Looking for brilliant and exciting idea to help product manage. If you are running an e-commerce company, contact me if you need a product manager and management help. 07035943189 or 08154326177
Re: How To Start Your Own E-commerce Business In Nigeria by dayssolalee(m): 10:50am On Jul 14, 2021
There was a time when digital commerce meant static storefronts and shopping carts. Today, digital commerce spans an integrated set of personalized digital experiences, from customer acquisition through retention, which are often owned and managed by marketing.

Nowadays, digital commerce is so much more than a sales channel. For example, according to the same study, 65% of customers research a product online before they go to the physical store.Read this next: The State of Commerce Experience 2021 [Insights from an annual analyst study]

To get the full report, read it here

https://www.shoplifecommerce.com/2021/07/14/digital-commerce-top-challenges-trends-and-steps-to-take-in-africa/
Re: How To Start Your Own E-commerce Business In Nigeria by sammyvalachii: 6:14pm On Sep 16, 2021
Frankly speaking this article is quite impressive. However online shopping in Nigeria is growing bigger and bigger and also comes with safe and secure ecommerce experience. eCommerce sites in Nigeria have been doing pretty well, and they will continue to do better in the coming years. However, you can also check out http://www.embouz.com to Buy, Sell & Auction for FREE.
Re: How To Start Your Own E-commerce Business In Nigeria by dayssolalee(m): 7:17am On Nov 21, 2022
Good day, how are you doing today?

I want to introduce you to Cloud Hosting Nigeria, its a platform that can help you set up your e-commerce and business websites in minutes.

We are partnering with Cloud Hosting Nigeria to help SMEs and Online Entrepreneurs build their E-commerce website at an affordable price.

DM if you are interested

https:///message/LIG2Y3OJZWCMF1

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Register The Name Of My Company (CAC) / 12 Logistics Companies In Nigeria For Startup Ecommerce Business / Why Is The Entertainment Industry So Different?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.