Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,889 members, 7,798,973 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 01:14 PM

If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? (9378 Views)

What Igbos Would Do Differently In Republic Of Biafra / Bukola Saraki Is The Senate President Of The 8th NASS / 6 Types Of Voters In Nigeria. What Type Are You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by Nobody: 9:02am On Jan 31, 2013
Someone said "the fuel subsidy removal as an instance" everything nigeria have subsidy before, were is the money. No school, water , housing, security, power , food. You still want subsidy eh. After subsidy they will steal #23billion and only 1 year jail term or #1 million fine. Am sorry 4 nigeria. May you live long in poverty with GEJ in power.
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by Birikiti: 9:55am On Jan 31, 2013
This is a simple one really. Corruption is the biggest problem in Nigeria and to fight it you have to have overwhelming support from the citizenry. You need to have high intelligence coupled with GUILE as an individual to change things. Being too straightforward will be a disadvantage. So how do you achieve this... If I were Nigerian President

1) I'd live by example cut all frivolous expenses first from my office and that of federal officers! I'd ensure so much noise is made about this act in the press such that my govt would win the trust of the man on the street!

2) I'd reach out to the Press and have moles/stooges there to counter what detractors might want to whip up. Remember if you fight corruption, it will fight back big time. So you'd better be ready.

3) I'd strengthen the EFCC such that it would compare with the best Anti-corruption agencies in the world. Now at first, I'd ensure they go after my opponents first, us those to buy more goodwill with the common man whilst giving the god-fathers and my party members who campainged for me a false sense of security. However, later in my administration when my hold on power would have been strengthened, I'll go after them. No sacred cows!

4) In the meanwhile, I'll revamp and re-organize those industries/ministries that promote National unity. Sports will be top on my agenda; I'll ensure the start of a well organized Nigerian football league mostly run by the Private sector. Same for Athletics, Basketball, Table Tennis, Boxing, School sports and others. This just needs me getting competent hands to handle these sports and using EFCC to hound any rabble rouser who threatens Fifa, IOC, IAAF ban!
Also, I will develop Tinapa and other such facilities into the best Film villages in the world! Nollywood film-makers will get help in using the facilities to make the best films. Same goes for the music industry and Entertainment in general. With this done National orientation Agency would use these acts to further instill in the citizenry a patriotic zeal.

5) The security forces, Armed Forces, Military Police, Police, SSS, Civil Defence Corps etc will enjoy the best of times in my regime. Their barracks will be returned to world class facilities and top notch training & re-training programs organized. I will make them truly professional and focused organizations again, no time for civilian affairs if you are in the forces! Their pay, insurance, pension and entitlements will be enhanced! I will make them happy because they will be my guard against potential coup makers. However, no indiscipline will be tolerated!

5) For Party politics, after I must have gained wide acceptance, I'd decamp and form a new National Movement Party inviting incorruptible like-minded fellows to join. This will break the backbone of the corrupt party that brought me into power and many folks on the street will flock into our party. Remember, we have overwhelming support of the common man, so forming this party will start a new movement.

6) For Agriculture my plan will be simple. Revamp the several Research institutes and get hybrid seeds direct to the farmers through an efficient Police force and Security and defence force. We would also set up strategic storage centers in various parts of the country to prepare for a bumper harvest and mop up excess produce.....

I still have so much more to say but some other time. I just believe that people in the position of power are not sincere and lack will power, this is not Rocket Science!
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by sgsltd(m): 10:17am On Jan 31, 2013
if i become president of Nigeria , i will give 1 month half-day holiday so we can count ourself with biometric method we must be counted 1 ,2 , 3 ,4 -----160,000,000 everybody must have number whether you are a boko haram or thief or arm robber
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by Nobody: 10:31am On Jan 31, 2013
Na for mouth una de talk am. You haven't meet oppositions before that's why you are asking. Democracy is not going to work in Nigeria period. They will always bring you down even when you are doing the right thing.
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by deltaprince: 12:47pm On Jan 31, 2013
Top priority on my "To Do" List would be to systematically wipe out all the so called "UNTOUCHABLES" that has held the Nation to ransom, with the help of Israeli/American/British/German/French and local INTELLIGENCE. Having achieved that, I will "democratically" overhaul the Judicial System in order to bring all corruptly enriched persons or groups to justice. God Help me, if I am able to achieve these, the rest are nothing to worry about, because i will have square pegs in square holes as my TEAM to revamp the ailing Economy.
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by BecaciaBarbie(f): 1:45pm On Jan 31, 2013
* Will extremely Reduce the salaries/allowances of Government officials.

*No government officials would be allowed to recieve more than 250k monthly...no matter his/her rank or level in the Government including my self.

*And would make sure all money are/is allocated in the right places or for the purpose for which it was generated for.

*I dont understand why we cant have power supply 24/7, they make it seem like its impossible, but with me in power....darkness would b history in Nig. wink

would create or design a layout of how every houses should be built in every states, and would build more Beautiful estates that would really be affordable for every 9igerian.

More Universities, am definitely gonna erase the Writing of UME.

More Montessori primary schools.

Would also bridge the gap between the Rich and the poor by increasing the Tax rates/levy paid by the Rich.

Security, infrastructures, facilities for schools, hospitals, etc

Corruption would be completely erased, cause am sure we are all aware of every type of corruption in Nigeria bt overlooking it due to fear, weakness, desperation, frustration, poverty, human feelings etc me i no go look face o!
#yimu at my sef. But i wished.

Chai! So many 2hings on my mind....lol
God knows am gonna turn this country around with enough significant changes if i had the opportunity.

With that(reducing the allowances of govt officials), we gonna generate enough money, to turn Nigeria into one of the best country in the world!

1 Like

Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by FXKing2012(m): 2:53pm On Jan 31, 2013
Becacia_Barbie: * Will extremely Reduce the salaries/allowances of Government officials.

*No government officials would be allowed to recieve more than 250k monthly...no matter his/her rank or level in the Government including my self.

*And would make sure all money are/is allocated in the right places or for the purpose for which it was generated for.

*I dont understand why we cant have power supply 24/7, they make it seem like its impossible, but with me in power....darkness would b history in Nig. wink

would create or design a layout of how every houses should be built in every states, and would build more Beautiful estates that would really be affordable for every 9igerian.

Would also bridge the gap between the Rich and the poor by increasing the Tax rates/levy paid by the Rich.

Corruption would be completely erased, cause am sure we are all aware of every type of corruption in Nigeria bt overlooking it due to fear, weakness, desperation, frustration, poverty, human feelings etc me i no go look face o!

God knows am gonna turn this country around with enough significant changes if i had the opportunity.

With that(reducing the allowances of govt officials), we gonna generate enough money, to turn Nigeria into one of the best country in the world!

GBAM!
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by mikolo80: 4:45pm On Jan 31, 2013
[quote author=Birikiti]This is a simple one really. Corruption is the biggest problem in Nigeria and to fight it you have to have overwhelming support from the citizenry. You need to have high intelligence coupled with GUILE as an individual to change things. Being too straightforward will be a disadvantage. So how do you achieve this... If I were Nigerian President

1) I'd live by example cut all frivolous expenses first from my office and that of federal officers! I'd ensure so much noise is made about this act in the press such that my govt would win the trust of the man on the street!

2) I'd reach out to the Press and have moles/stooges there to counter what detractors might want to whip up. Remember if you fight corruption, it will fight back big time. So you'd better be ready.

3) I'd strengthen the EFCC such that it would compare with the best Anti-corruption agencies in the world. Now at first, I'd ensure they go after my opponents first, us those to buy more goodwill with the common man whilst giving the god-fathers and my party members who campainged for me a false sense of security. However, later in my administration when my hold on power would have been strengthened, I'll go after them. No sacred cows!

4) In the meanwhile, I'll revamp and re-organize those industries/ministries that promote National unity. Sports will be top on my agenda; I'll ensure the start of a well organized Nigerian football league mostly run by the Private sector. Same for Athletics, Basketball, Table Tennis, Boxing, School sports and others. This just needs me getting competent hands to handle these sports and using EFCC to hound any rabble rouser who threatens Fifa, IOC, IAAF ban!
Also, I will develop Tinapa and other such facilities into the best Film villages in the world! Nollywood film-makers will get help in using the facilities to make the best films. Same goes for the music industry and Entertainment in general. With this done National orientation Agency would use these acts to further instill in the citizenry a patriotic zeal.

NOW THIS IS A REALISTIC AND WORKABLE PLAN, JUST LEAD WITH EFCC. PERSONALLY I'D SCRAP EFCC AND MOVE THEM TO CODE OF CONDUCT BUREAU AND TRIBUNAL.AND P.S. LOTS OF TRACTORS TO THE AGRIC DEPARTMENTS FACULTIES UNIVERSITIES AND INSTITUTES PLUS SIX BIG ASS INDUSTRIAL PARKS PER GEOPOLITICAL ZONE.SERIOUSLY WE NEED TO FORM A NAIRALAND PARTY
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by anulaxad(m): 6:11pm On Jan 31, 2013
Wallie:

Why you wan insult me? Be rest assured that I will respond in kind if you do. If you disagree just state your points!

You asked for what GDP per capita means sarcastically but I'll go ahead and tell you anyway.

It means all the value of final services and goods produced in a nation in a given year divided by the number of people in the nation. The calculation doesn't take corruption into account and neither does it include how much money Nigerians actually have.

For example, if Nigeria made $300,000,000 and we have a population of 150,000,000 then the GDP per capita is $2.

As you see, your definition is COMPLETELY wrong!

IT'S OBVIOUS YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOUR SAYING.

AND TO MAKE THINGS WORSE YOU TYPE WITHOUT NOT THINKING ABOUT THE CONSEQUENCES OF YOUR STUPIDITY.

I MEAN DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW MUCH NIGERIA MAKES ANNUALLY, YET YOU SAY NIGERIA IS NOT RICH.I EVEN PRESENTED TO YOU THE RICHEST ECONOMIES OF THE WORLD WHICH SHOWED NIGERIA BEING THE 39 RICHEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD.

I CAN FIND A BILLION REASONS WHY YOU ARE WRONG IN EVERYTHING YOU SAY,BUT FROM THE WAY I SEE THINGS YOU ARE ON THOSE ARROGANT TYPES I CANNOT DEAL WITH.

IF I BECOME PRESIDENT I WILL ERADICATE ILLITERACY grin grin wink
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by anulaxad(m): 6:26pm On Jan 31, 2013
Becacia_Barbie: * Will extremely Reduce the salaries/allowances of Government officials.

YOU HAVE VERY STRONG VIEWS WHICH I LIKE cheesy cheesy cheesy,BUT IF YOU ARE SAYING NO ONE IN GOVERNMENT CAN RECEIVE MORE THAN 250K ,NAIRA I ASPECT,THEN THAT'S JUST FOR ME IS MADNESS,MY FAMILY ARE NIGERIAN BUT BORN AND BREED IN THE UK EXAMPLE MY FATHER MYSELF AND MY CHILD,AND MY FATHER HAS BEEN AND ACCOUNTANT HIS WHO LIFE AND WHEN HE WAS WORKING HE COULD SIMPLE EARN 2500 POUNDS A WEEK,WHICH IS 625K IN NAIRA A WEEK.NOW HE IS NOW RETIRED AND HE EARNS BY PENSION 1750 POUNDS A WEEK,SO YOU WORK OUT THEN MATHS AND TRY AND GUESS HOW MUCH IT IS IN NAIRA. AND IT WAS A GOVERNMENT JOB.MY JOB MAKES ME EARN WAY MORE. BUT THAT ONLY HAPPENED WHEN I STUDIED FOR A GOOD 12 YEARS AND COUNTING LIKE NOW WHEN I GET OFF NAIRALAND I STILL HAVE TO READ AND READ AND READ.

1 Like

Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by Wallie(m): 8:00pm On Jan 31, 2013
anulaxad:
IT'S OBVIOUS YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOUR SAYING.

AND TO MAKE THINGS WORSE YOU TYPE WITHOUT NOT THINKING ABOUT THE CONSEQUENCES OF YOUR STUPIDITY.

I MEAN DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW MUCH NIGERIA MAKES ANNUALLY, YET YOU SAY NIGERIA IS NOT RICH.I EVEN PRESENTED TO YOU THE RICHEST ECONOMIES OF THE WORLD WHICH SHOWED NIGERIA BEING THE 39 RICHEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD.

I CAN FIND A BILLION REASONS WHY YOU ARE WRONG IN EVERYTHING YOU SAY,BUT FROM THE WAY I SEE THINGS YOU ARE ON THOSE ARROGANT TYPES I CANNOT DEAL WITH.

IF I BECOME PRESIDENT I WILL ERADICATE ILLITERACY grin grin wink

A couple of things you should do if you ever become the President:

1. fire all your teachers for allowing you to pass out of their class; and
2. ask for a refund from all the schools you went through, even if you did not pay, for your ignorant half-educated asss neither can string a coherent thought together nor read past Primary 3 level!

I have nothing else to say to you because my responses have been the pinnacle of your miserable life thus far and you don’t seem to appreciate it because you’re too dumb to comprehend what I wrote.

Now go play somewhere else, I’m busy!
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by AjanleKoko: 9:55pm On Jan 31, 2013
anulaxad:

YOU HAVE VERY STRONG VIEWS WHICH I LIKE cheesy cheesy cheesy,BUT IF YOU ARE SAYING NO ONE IN GOVERNMENT CAN RECEIVE MORE THAN 250K ,NAIRA I ASPECT,THEN THAT'S JUST FOR ME IS MADNESS,MY FAMILY ARE NIGERIAN BUT BORN AND BREED IN THE UK EXAMPLE MY FATHER MYSELF AND MY CHILD,AND MY FATHER HAS BEEN AND ACCOUNTANT HIS WHO LIFE AND WHEN HE WAS WORKING HE COULD SIMPLE EARN 2500 POUNDS A WEEK,WHICH IS 625K IN NAIRA A WEEK.NOW HE IS NOW RETIRED AND HE EARNS BY PENSION 1750 POUNDS A WEEK,SO YOU WORK OUT THEN MATHS AND TRY AND GUESS HOW MUCH IT IS IN NAIRA. AND IT WAS A GOVERNMENT JOB.MY JOB MAKES ME EARN WAY MORE. BUT THAT ONLY HAPPENED WHEN I STUDIED FOR A GOOD 12 YEARS AND COUNTING LIKE NOW WHEN I GET OFF NAIRALAND I STILL HAVE TO READ AND READ AND READ.

Man embarassed
Go easy on we shocked
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? by Genius100: 10:18pm On Jan 31, 2013
Wallie: It is very easy to find fault in what someone else did or his doing; however, we find it difficult to profess a workable solution facing the same constraints. For one reason or another, some people feel jaded and/or disillusioned because GEJ has not lived up to their expectations, regardless of whether their expectations were reasonable or not.

In the interest of full disclosure, I’m one of those people but I constantly ask myself if I can do any better facing the same constraints – some of the constraints which probably fostered me into power. I won’t answer the question so as not to set the tone of this post by seeming to be anti or pro GEJ.

However, the question for you is:

If you wake up tomorrow and find yourself to be the President of Nigeria, what would you do about the following and how would you do it? The “how” is the most important part of this exercise.

1. Boko Haram, MEND, OPC etc (any armed group)
2. Police and their inadequacies
3. Manufacturing including import/export
4. Youth unemployment
5. Taxes
6. Crude Oil revenue
7. Mineral resources (mines)
8. Healthcare
9. Education
10. Federal infrastructure (power supply, roads, railways, airports, ports, waterways etc)
11. Food supply (agriculture)
12. Corruption including fraud/embezzlement
13. Allegation of corruption against former politicians
14. Judiciary
15. How will you select your cabinet

Keep in mind that you are a democratically elected President which means that you must act within the constitution. For example, you can’t just say you will throw former politicians alleged to be corrupt in jail without due process. You will have to charge them to court and seek a conviction against them from judges that may or may not be corrupt.

EDIT....

I'm going to phrase the question differently to allow for more answers.

Are you currently happy with Nigeria the way it is? If not, what are you not happy about and how will you change it?

The single most important thing I will do is find the best people Nigeria has, to head the agencies responsible for all the listed issues. I will find educated people with a solid track record of success that have been exposed to international best standards and support them ferociously.

That's it..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Video: Ooni Links Aje Festival To Industrious Igbo People / Ifedayo Abegunde Mobilises APC Members For Akeredolu's Reelection / N10bn Libel Suit: Ortom Seeks Definite Hearing Against Oshiomhole

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.