Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,403 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:31 AM

40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body (239641 Views)

40 Amazing Benefits Of Coconut Water For Skin, Hair And Health / 10 Amazing Facts About Human Body / . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by Nobody: 2:22am On Jan 29, 2013
The human body is an incredibly complex and intricate system and it still baffles researchers regularly despite thousands of years of medical knowledge. As a result, it shouldn't be a surprise that even body parts we deal with everyday have unexpected facts and explanations behind them.
Here are 100 wacky facts about the human body:
1. The brain is more active at night than during the day. Scientists don't know yet why this is.

2. The higher your IQ, the more you dream.

3. Facial hair grows faster than any other hair on the body.

4. The nail on the middle finger grows faster than the other fingernails.

5. Fingernails grow nearly four times faster than toe nails.

6. The lifespan of a human hair is 3 to 7 years on average.

7. The acid in your stomach is strong enough to dissolve zinc. It doesn't destroy the stomach because because the stomach walls constantly renews itself.

8. Women's hearts beat faster than men's.

9. Women blink twice as many times as men do.

10. Women are born better smellers than men and remain better smellers over life.

11. Men burn fat faster than women by a rate of about 50 calories a day.

12. Men get hiccups more often than women.

13. A man has approximately 6.8 litres of blood in the body while women have approximately 5 litres.

14. The largest cell in the body is the female egg and the smallest is the male sperm.

15. During your lifetime, you will produce enough saliva to fill two swimming pools.

16. Babies are always born with blue eyes. The melanin in their eyes needs time to be fully deposited or to be darkened by ultraviolet light to reveal the baby's true eye color.

17. Men have erections every hour to hour and a half during sleep. This is because the combination of blood circulation and testerone production can cause erections during sleep and are a necessary part of REM sleep.

18. After eating too much, your hearing is less sharp.

19. If your saliva cannot dissolve or mix with food, you will not be able to taste that food (try tasting something after drying off your tongue)

20. Noise causes the pupils of your eyes to dilate. Even very small noises can do this.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by Nobody: 2:23am On Jan 29, 2013
21. Everyone has a unique smell, unique finger print and unique tongue print.

22. By age 60, most people will have lost half their taste buds.

23. Your eyes remain the same size after birth but your nose and ears never stop growing.

24. A simple, moderately severe sunburn burns the blood vessels extensively.

25. We are about 1cm taller in the mornings than in the evenings.

26. The strongest muscle in the body is the human tongue.

27. The hardest bone in the human body is the jaw bone.

28. The hands and feet contains almost half of the total bones in the human body.

29. About 32 million bacteria call every inch of your skin home, but they are mostly harmless and some of them are even helpful.

30. Humans shed and regrow outer skin every 27 days.

31. Three hundred million cells die in the human body every minute and everyday and adult produces 300 billion new cells.

32. The colder the room you sleep, the higher the chances are that you would get a nightmare.

33. Humans are the only species that produce emotional tears.

34. All babies are color blind at birth, they see only black and white.

35. The only part of your body that has no blood supply is the cornea in the eye. It gets its oxygen directly from air.

36. A normal human being can survive 20 days without eating but can survive only 2 days without drinking.

37. It is impossible to kill yourself by choking yourself with your hands.

38. Everybody has one strong eye and one weak eye.

39. Your skeleton keeps renewing itself every ten years which means that every ten years you get a new skeleton.

40. The human feet have 500,000 sweat glands and can produce more than a pint of sweat a day.

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by Nobody: 2:24am On Jan 29, 2013
I had to divide the 40 points into two seperate posts to avoid getting banned by pyguru for posting spam.

8 Likes

Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by Nobody: 2:24am On Jan 29, 2013
First to comment, yaayyy!!! grin grin grin
Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by baby124: 3:24am On Jan 29, 2013
Interesting facts. I always knew the smell sensitivity between men and women are different. Must be a trait to protect our young. Also women are better at colors.
Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by braine(m): 4:06am On Jan 29, 2013
Wow! So my body is capable of these? shocked
God is great.

Observed number 38 lately.

9 Likes

Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by Pygru: 4:38am On Jan 29, 2013
lovely

2 Likes

Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by Nobody: 7:47am On Jan 29, 2013
Interesting!!
I just had a shallow sleep last nite cause of dream...reading this,i notice the room was very cool.

Anyway,i don't agree with some of the points.

And some are really funny

2 Likes

Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by Nobody: 7:51am On Jan 29, 2013
fellis: First to comment, yaayyy!!! grin grin grin
you don't know how to count again...you're second grin

3 Likes

Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by Chaclaitmilk(m): 3:17pm On Jan 29, 2013
17. Men have erections every hour to hour and a half during sleep. This is because the combination of blood circulation and testerone production can cause erections during sleep and are a necessary part of REM sleep.
lol

1 Like

Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jan 29, 2013
baby_123: Interesting facts. I always knew the smell sensitivity between men and women are different. Must be a trait to protect our young. Also women are better at colors.
Women evolved to have a better sense of smell to sniff out genetic deficiencies in a potential mate, since they had lesser chances of passing on their genes, it was more crucial to them to make sure that whatever partner they mated with was as satisfactory as possible. Women are also better with colors like you said. I am not sure what the reason for this is though I read somewhere that it helped with detecting poisonous fruits and plants (by their colours) while gathering food in the wild. Women mostly gathered food while men hunted.

2 Likes

Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jan 29, 2013
centje: you don't know how to count again...you're second grin
Am actually first and second.
Double celebration for me tongue
Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jan 29, 2013
fellis:
Am actually first and second.
Double celebration for me tongue
there're three fellis,one is female the other is male while the third has no gender. The male was first while you were second...next time count well tongue

Fellis and evolution...should i open a thread on evolution lets discuss?

1 Like

Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jan 29, 2013
^Do you want a debate?
Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jan 29, 2013
fellis: ^Do you want a debate?
debate!! shocked
Anyway,let's give it a shot cool
Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jan 29, 2013
centje: debate!! shocked
Why the surprise? What exactly did you mean when you said 'discuss'?
Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by Nobody: 3:28am On Jan 30, 2013
fellis:
Why the surprise? What exactly did you mean when you said 'discuss'?
the debate appeared too formal.
Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by Nobody: 3:34am On Jan 30, 2013
centje: the debate appeared too formal.
So sorry centje but I think we are derailing the thread sad
Just hold the thought on the evolution thread for now, maybe it will happen sometime in the future. Thanks smiley
Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by Nobody: 4:48am On Jan 30, 2013
fellis:
So sorry centje but I think we are derailing the thread sad
Just hold the thought on the evolution thread for now, maybe it will happen sometime in the future. Thanks smiley
yeah,we are.
Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by tintingz(m): 6:34am On Jan 30, 2013
fellis: 17. Men have erections every
hour to hour and a half
during sleep. This is because
the combination of blood
circulation and testerone
production can cause
erections during sleep and are
a necessary part of REM sleep.
we don hear... tongue grin
Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by Les: 11:16am On Mar 19, 2013
baby_123: Interesting facts. I always knew the smell sensitivity between men and women are different. Must be a trait to protect our young. Also women are better at colors.
you are so correct but his explanation isn't. I wonder wen picking fruits makes some1 to be better at colour detection
fellis:
Women evolved to have a better sense of smell to sniff out genetic deficiencies in a potential mate, since they had lesser chances of passing on their genes, it was more crucial to them to make sure that whatever partner they mated with was as satisfactory as possible. Women are also better with colors like you said. I am not sure what the reason for this is though I read somewhere that it helped with detecting poisonous fruits and plants (by their colours) while gathering food in the wild. Women mostly gathered food while men hunted.
i cant say d reason precisely but it has to do with d fact that women can never be colour blind, because it's a sex-linked character found in d Y-chromosome. Men have only d Y-chromosome while women have X and Y chromosome thereby making many men colour blind.... Am colour blind, i can only identify colours wen they are sharply contrasting each other.. E.g i cannot differentiat btw any blue, green, purple, violet, indigo or red and pink or yellow and orange- it can be very frustrating... So watever reason, it gat to d with d fact that colour blindness is associated to men only....

1 Like

Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by kay9(m): 1:29am On Apr 06, 2013
Les: .... Men have only d Y-chromosome while women have X and Y chromosome thereby making many men colour blind....
^^
Wrong. In more ways than one. A humanbeing with 'YY' sex chromosomes would be neither male nor female... a freak of nature.

Sex chromosomes in males - 'XY'; in females - 'XX'.

12 Likes

Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by Les: 7:51am On Apr 06, 2013
kay9:
^^
Wrong. In more ways than one. A humanbeing with 'YY' sex chromosomes would be neither male nor female... a freak of nature.

Sex chromosomes in males - 'XY'; in females - 'XX'.
I didn't read biology and I have an idea of wat am trying to say and u've corrected me and thanks for that. Am colour blind and d little I read about it, it's found in males only because it's found in d Y chromosome of a thing... And not in women because they dont have y chromosome, abi? So u are correct, thanks...

1 Like

Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by kay9(m): 8:44am On Apr 06, 2013
^^No skin pain. smiley
Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by plendil: 9:10am On Apr 07, 2013
Les: I didn't read biology and I have an idea of wat am trying to say and u've corrected me and thanks for that. Am colour blind and d little I read about it, it's found in males only because it's found in d Y chromosome of a thing... And not in women because they dont have y chromosome, abi? So u are correct, thanks...

It's actually found in the X chromomsome and the not the Y. Furthermore, women can and do have the disorder, though its admittedly far more common in males. The reason is that being a sex-linked recessive gene, carried only by the X-chromosome, a woman must get copies from both parents to be colourblind, unlike the man who needs just one copy.

2 Likes

Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by plendil: 9:20am On Apr 07, 2013
@OP, quite interesting

fellis:

Yeah, I think I've read something of that nature. Generally, perception wise - smell, taste, sight - women are known to be better and keener in picking them up. Men are better at analyzing ie after the info has been gathered..
Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by kay9(m): 10:11am On Apr 07, 2013
plendil: @OP, quite interesting

Yeah, I think I've read something of that nature. Generally, perception wise - smell, taste, sight - women are known to be better and keener in picking them up. Men are better at analyzing ie after the info has been gathered..

Maybe you're right. But i have a question... How come the best fragrance connoisseurs (smell), oenophilists (smell, taste), chefs (taste, smell), and fashion designers (sight) in the world are all men?

1 Like

Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by Sunymoore(m): 10:36am On Apr 07, 2013
but is unfortunate they cant smell them selves.

1 Like

Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by Nobody: 10:32am On Apr 08, 2013
kay9:

Maybe you're right. But i have a question... How come the best fragrance connoisseurs (smell), oenophilists (smell, taste), chefs (taste, smell), and fashion designers (sight) in the world are all men?

Not sure what the reason for this is but I think a contributing factor is that men show more interest in doing these things than women so these fields end up having more male workers than females.
Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by Nobody: 10:35am On Apr 08, 2013
Sunymoore: but is unfortunate they cant smell them selves.
True. Humans can't smell themselves, I wonder why.
Let me check.
Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by kay9(m): 1:33pm On Apr 08, 2013
fellis:

Not sure what the reason for this is but I think a contributing factor is that men show more interest in doing these things than women so these fields end up having more male workers than females.

''Show more interest''? Hmm. You know thats debatable, right?

fellis: Humans can't smell themselves, I wonder why.
Let me check.

Very funny., lol...
smiley Umm, are you done checking? I'd like to help...
Re: 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body by Nobody: 1:49pm On Apr 08, 2013
kay9:

''Show more interest''? Hmm. You know thats debatable, right?

Very funny., lol...
smiley Umm, are you done checking? I'd like to help...

@bold,Is it debateable? What do you think the real reason is?

I checked google for why people can't smell themselves and the best answer I could find was that people get used to their own smells and stop noticing that it is there.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How To Avoid Pregnancy Naturally / 4D Ultrasound & Doppler Scan: For Pregnant Mothers / Which Drugs Can One Use After Sex To Aviod Pregnancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.