Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,895 members, 7,798,989 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 01:30 PM

Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime (27095 Views)

Amazing Drink Before Going To Bed That Will Melt Your Belly Fat Almost Instantl / Reasons Why You Shouldn't Drink Water While Eating / Reason Why You Shouldn't Drink Water While Eating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by delors(m): 6:12pm On Jan 30, 2013
onila: hmmm thanks

I am glad I dont drink smiley
Even water? undecided
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by phadat(m): 6:21pm On Jan 30, 2013
Don't see what folks get out of drinking alcohol considering the fact that's its not good for the health,they'll even make excuses that its ok once its in moderation forgetting the long term effects ofthe chemical content on their system when they eventually get addicted to it
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jan 30, 2013
Truckpusher: Alcohol doesn't kill you as long as you get your weekly glass of fresh brea/st milk. wink wink wink

Mr eyefall knows all about that...
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jan 30, 2013
*And lastly don't drink before bedtime cos it may make you bedwet.. grin
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jan 30, 2013
FXKing2012: Alcohol,tobacco, caffeine are all drugs that should be banned, they are very harmful to the body.
So are sugar and salt. The idea is to 'drink responsibly'.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jan 30, 2013
You can't even spell insomnia correctly. Fake ass dude!
centje: Let's have a lil' chat on one of the most consumed chemical on earth. Yes! It's alcohol. It comes in different forms but its effect remains the same. At first gulp of a green bottle it gives us EUPHORIA,then we go into EXCITEMENT as we empty the second bottle, then CONFUSION, STUPOR, COMA and with further intake the ultimate happens, DEATH! Those are the 6 stages of alcohol effect on our body.
For its euphoric effect most of us love this chemical...especially on those evening hang outs...hmmm grin . Have you really thought about it's other effect when taken less than 4 hours before bed
Read on then...let's start with...

* SNORING
Even if you're 'non-snorer', alcohol before bedtime can make you produce this nasty noise at night.
How does it do it? Well,alcohol reduces the resting tone of the muscles at the back of your throat and relaxes your tongue,which can fall back to obstruct your airway during sleep. As you try to force air through these tissues they vibrate and so produce the snore.
For snorers ,alcohol before bed worsens it.

* OBSTRUCTIVE SLEEP APNEA
This is a disorder in which the upper airway narrows or closes during sleep. The resulting apnea (stoppage of breathing) awakens the person, who then resumes breathing and falls asleep again.
Alcohol before bed can further relax the muscles of the airway and worsen the narrowing. Consequently,the person is deprived of peaceful sleep at night.

* POOR S"EXUAL RESPONSE
Like i wrote earlier on,alcohol is both a nervous system depressant and a muscle relaxant.

In men,
alcohol before bed can lead to difficulty in getting and maintaining an e"rection. It's true that alcohol, in the euphoric or excitement stage, increases our s"exual urge but when it's time for real action,then the wahala comes!
And in long term,it can cause full-blown e"rectile dysfunction.
However, moderate intake,can help someone overcome poor e"rection or quick e"jaculation caused by anxiety. Though its not a good idea to build your s"ex life around alcohol...addiction and other side effect can result.

For women,
alcohol before bed can cause reduced lubrication,difficulty in achieving o"rgasm or o"rgasm that is less intense. And it's also much difficult to achieve pregnancy.

* POT BELLE AND OVERWEIGHT
As we become less active towards the night, our metabolic rate also lessens. Thus major quantity of the alcohol consumed during this period will likely be converted to fats. These fats get deposited within and around your internal organs,other body parts and also within your abdominal wall. This leaves you with pot belle, overweight and increased risk of heart,liver,kidney and intestinal diseases!

* SOAR THROAT AND INFECTION
Some people take alcohol to relief the pain of soar throat. unfortunately, this's temporal. And they're also ignorant of the fact the alcohol actualy causes and worsens soar throat.

Alcohol irritates and dries the tissues of throat. It also decreases the function of the immune cells within the throat tissuses, therefore raises your risk of getting throat infection and other infections of the oral cavity.

* NOCTURIA, NIGHT SWEAT, DEHYDRATION AND HANG OVER
It's normal to urinate 2 times or less in the night. One of the end product of alcohol metabolism is water,and with the diuretic effect of alcohol you will most likely urinate more often at night. Alcohol can also cause night sweat. All these can combine to cause dehydration.

Don't forget...hang over will say ' good morning' the next day.

* INSOMIA
It may be suprising,but the truth is that alcohol before bed can cause insomia.
An average adult needs about 7.5-8 hours of sleep in a day to stay healthy. For some reasons, some people can't get this quantity of sleep in a day. So some, especially insomniacs, resort to taking alcohol to induce sleep and probably make it last longer. Initially, this might appear to work but it's diverstating in the long run.
To undertand how alcohol cause insomia let's learn some facts about sleep.

Two main states and 6 stages characterise a normal sleep...
# Non-rapid eye movement(NREM)sleep
aka quiet sleep: stage 1-4

# Rapid eye movement (REM) sleep
aka active sleep: stage 5-6, most dreams occur at this stage.

To have a good sleep you need to a balanced alternation between these two stages.

Alcohol consumed 1-3 hours before bedtime interfers with sleep hormones and disrupts the sleep cycle (REM sleep seems more affected,it shortens it). The person is awaken by dream,the urge to urinate,sweat,breathlessness,dehydration etc but he finds it difficult returning to sleep. And the sedate effect of the alcohol must have faded by then.
In addition,the person may develop tolerance to the sedative effect of the alcohol while the disruptive effect continues,hence insomia continues!
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by FXKing2012(m): 6:45pm On Jan 30, 2013
fresh_dude: So are sugar and salt. The idea is to 'drink responsibly'.
Sugar and salt are not drugs. Do u even know what a drug is?
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by liyalla(m): 6:50pm On Jan 30, 2013
will they ever let us be? U go hospital and the doctor will tell U, U lack alcohol, when U start they tell U,.."hey guy U wan kill Ur self?" sugar sef na another problem,after now them go say living long is dangerous to humanity. Whn I drink I no dey hear ground till morin so I no knw waitin U dey talk
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jan 30, 2013
onila: hmmm thanks

I am glad I dont drink smiley

At all, at all, nah him bad pass...
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jan 30, 2013
onila:

yea even wine smiley

but I will drink wine occassionally like in someone's house or event but its never in my house

Free tinz... Now i understand.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by mu2sa2: 6:53pm On Jan 30, 2013
begwong:
u will b appalled when u see the analysis of sugar callories in those soft drinks u are taking.
The u.k govt is proposing a hike in taxes on such drinks now(obesity palaver on its populace)
other than pure water, avoid drinks, soft or hard, sold in bottles and cans.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by pitex: 6:53pm On Jan 30, 2013
As my Edo peeps will say "if pounded yam de kill na de same pounded yam we go de chop". Story...Only God can take shayo away 4rm me!!!

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by onila(f): 6:56pm On Jan 30, 2013
delors:
Even water? undecided

u know i meant alcohol, dum dum
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jan 30, 2013
ebdib: You can't even spell insomnia correctly. Fake ass dude!

Drunks don vex shocked

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Costa2000(m): 7:09pm On Jan 30, 2013
booqee: *And lastly don't drink before bedtime cos it may make you bedwet.. grin
Sister is like u done bedwet b4,hahahahahaha. just joking.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by onila(f): 7:13pm On Jan 30, 2013
begwong:
u will b appalled when u see the analysis of sugar callories in those soft drinks u are taking.
The u.k govt is proposing a hike in taxes on such drinks now(obesity palaver on its populace)

I am naturally skinny, no need 2 worry abt all that obesity shi..t
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by onila(f): 7:13pm On Jan 30, 2013
SniperInADiaper:

Drunks don vex shocked
grin
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by juventino: 7:16pm On Jan 30, 2013
@OP God bless you for your wonderful lecture on alcohol. For me, I don't take alcohol but if you offer me chilled guilder I go take. Please tell them alcohol is bad. I beg make I go take my Guilder

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by manchiled: 7:22pm On Jan 30, 2013
I know alote of people that snore and don't drink,true talk but I feel its only wen u abuse it
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by claremont(m): 7:33pm On Jan 30, 2013
As a good Christian, I must obey the biblical injunction to love my enemy as I would myself! grin

Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jan 30, 2013
plainmirror: Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I
drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass
& think about the workers in the brewery and all
of their hopes & dreams. If I didn't drink this
beer, they might be out of work & their dreams
would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is
better that I drink this beer & let their dreams
come true than to be selfish and worry about my
liver.
chie! Some people too funny o! grin
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by AustineE1: 7:35pm On Jan 30, 2013
okpara ugo:

...you can go for drugs & women,it saves you from all this alcohol shit!!!
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by AustineE1: 7:36pm On Jan 30, 2013
okpara ugo:

...you can go for drugs & women,it saves you from all this alcohol shit!
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jan 30, 2013
Sarky: huh! Tales...

Wht elz cn get me HIGH if nt alcohol? Mayb I'll switch 2 ''Indian hemp'' or ''Cocaine''. @ OP. Huh
everything on earth has advantages as well as disadvantages. Know them, weigh them and decide what you want

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jan 30, 2013
centje: everything on earth has advantages as well as disadvantages. Know them, weigh them and decide what you want

True talk.

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by daroz(m): 7:51pm On Jan 30, 2013
Op, Thanks for remembering me that I still have some few can star in my fridge to consume. As i dey type so, i don dey consume some liquor.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Mishydoo(m): 7:52pm On Jan 30, 2013
Alchol Haters undecided...Even with all the beef,its alcohol or we won't drink at all...

...Association of Die-hard Alcohol Fans! grin
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by firestar(f): 8:00pm On Jan 30, 2013
Hun... fancy that.

Centje, what about tea?
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Imyourex(m): 8:01pm On Jan 30, 2013
Thanks @ OP, you really make me reduce from my regular 7 bottles to 5, Amaka will be surprised today when I stop @ 5.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by gwas(m): 8:16pm On Jan 30, 2013
Rubbish!!!!!
So alcohol gives one insomnia? erektile dysfunction?
Every body just they write article, E be like say me sef go soon write my own o.
Nonsense!
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by dyn01: 8:20pm On Jan 30, 2013
Be it wine, beer or whatever, pls stick to ur cock n sprite...am stil battling wt my liver. DNT DRINK! Wen Jesus com, dnt say I no tel u!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

COVID-19: We Are Struggling With Bed Spaces In Lagos - NCDC / How Can One Gain Weight Easily? / FG Bans Inter-State Movement Of COVID-19 Patients

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.