Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,689 members, 7,805,834 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:02 AM

Alert! GSM 419 Experience. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Alert! GSM 419 Experience. (1440 Views)

Airtel And Etisalat's 419 11k/sec Promo / Mtn Zone Fraud.(419) / Airtel Promo, 419? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alert! GSM 419 Experience. by DEKING3(m): 4:01pm On Aug 11, 2005
Hey Nairalanders, I plead with you to take your time and go thru this post and learn from it. I believe that this forum is where we can share the truth, so, I would not withhold it from anyone.

I got a call on my mobile phone from one Mr. R (pardon my use of initials) that he supplies a particular chemical to Mr. A and that he (Mr. A) also needs my services to supply him 10 computer systems coz that's part of what I do, but that now he has moved to Abuja and that A needs the chemical now and he already informed him that I deal in it also, he gave me the inflated price that he normally gives to A and promised we would share the profit 50/50. He then asked me to call Mr. V who is the warehouse manager in charge of the chemicals. I actually did and V asked if I am a new customer and I replied yes, so he told me the cost price which is exactly the same thing R told me. I asked him for the address of the warehouse but he declined saying his boss must not know about his smuggling out one packet coz they sell in cartons. This is because according to R, I would need a sample to show to A which would cost 35K and funny enough I would use my own money to buy the sample.

After sometime, I called a friend I really trusted and told him everything. He told me that a friend of his whom I also know was told excatly the same thing and unfortunately for him, he fell in the trap. So, he told me to forget them.

I'm really sorry, for taking so much of your time but pls if you recieve a similar call, don't heed it! Be warned!
Re: Alert! GSM 419 Experience. by layi(m): 4:22pm On Aug 11, 2005
If our senses aint beclouded with greed. We wont fall for scam. Cos there are always tell tale signs.
Most scammers wont want to deal in person and those who do wont want u involving other people. Follow your instincts. Simple.

Good u didnt fall
Re: Alert! GSM 419 Experience. by Bibi(m): 9:15pm On Aug 11, 2005
DE-KING, ..... thats a modified version of the currency washing version of 419 where you pay upfront for the chemicals to wash the brown papers which turn into dollars.

Anyway, now you know it. 419 comes in various versions and as Layi said, its only the greedy that fall victim. Any proposition that ask you to fund an unknown/unplanned investment is 419. Dont be fooled.
Re: Alert! GSM 419 Experience. by Seun(m): 10:08pm On Aug 11, 2005
Thanks, de-king, for sharing this story with us.
Re: Alert! GSM 419 Experience. by hotangel2(f): 11:13pm On Aug 11, 2005
Thank De-king for sharing that.
Re: Alert! GSM 419 Experience. by Boye(m): 9:24am On Aug 12, 2005
Hey...lucky! u did not fall

i had a similar experience 3months back. a friend of mine(residing in manchester,uk) stayed in my house in lagos for his 2weeks leave while in nigeria. Just 3 days after his return to the uk, i got a phone claiming his name even with his surname(but the voice wasn't his though the caller claimed that he was using an internet call hence, the change in voice...THEY COULD BE SMART)and the caller ID was hidden.
he asked me to call one mr.shittu giving me his mtn phone number and stating that he just sent in 5000 gsm handset and since i'm working as an enginner with a gsm company,i will surely be able to market those stuffs for him.he wanted me to clear the goods for him from the port(apapa) and that i'll need more than 100k(thousand naira) to do that which he's gonna give back to me and a 20% share of the profit.

but becos i doubted the caller, i made a call to my friend and alas !, he wasn't the caller.

i could have yielded not to make money(of course,i'm confortable) but to help a friend. but God just saved me from their snare.

be satisfied with what you have and "never despise the day of your little beginning"...a word is enough for the wise
Re: Alert! GSM 419 Experience. by diakim(m): 11:16am On Aug 12, 2005
We receive so many of such calls in my office.

Myself and my colleagues are so much used to them now that we normally lead them on pretending we've gone to the place they mentioned, and that we've purchased a unit of the said chemical, equipment or any item they mentioned. Eventually, they will discover that we are smarter than then, and they will suddenly stopped calling us.

Then we will proceed to calling them urging them to finish the business they started with us. Scared, they will end up switching off or replacing their GSM lines to avoid our calls. Talk of being smarter than the smarts grin
Re: Alert! GSM 419 Experience. by sage(m): 3:19am On Aug 16, 2005
ive had one such about roofing materials and the contacts were in southafrica. We called the number given to us in nigeria and they started to tell us the same things, same comodity, price,quality and all. The trobule 4 them came when they asked us too pay upfront fees and we simply told them no way, they stoped calling.
Re: Alert! GSM 419 Experience. by layi(m): 6:28pm On Aug 21, 2005
Another twists 2 da game.
Phone # aint proof of location. They now have phone # beign re-routed. He gave u a Uk # doesnt mean he's in uk o!
Re: Alert! GSM 419 Experience. by Oracle(m): 9:44pm On Jul 30, 2006
I've not actually recieved any such call but a female friend of mine got a text that said she won a promo, she was so happy but when i read the text i noticed it was suspiciuos because it told her to present all her personal details and she said she didn't put for any promo at all.
i told her to forget about it

(1) (Reply)

Sidekick 3 / Get More From Your Phone - Get Mobymap - Maps On Your Phone. / How To Reactivate A Disabled Facebook Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.