Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,386 members, 7,800,779 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:35 AM

Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens (12818 Views)

NCAA: Arbitrary Increase Of Airfares / Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% / Aero Slashes Domestic Air Fare To N7, 000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by supereagle(m): 8:17am On Jan 30, 2013
Airfares on domestic routes have crashed by about 50 per cent from an average of N32,000 to N16,000 for an hour’s flight, following the recommencement of flight operations by Dana Air and Chanchangi Airlines, as well as the coming on board of a new carrier, Med-View Airlines, findings by our correspondent have revealed.

The suspension of flights by Air Nigeria, Dana Air, FirstNation Airlines and Chanchangi Airlines around the middle of last year had led to over 35 per cent increase in airfares from an average of N22,000 to N32,000.

Desperate passengers fought to get seats on Arik Air, Aero Nigeria and IRS Airlines, the only major domestic airlines in business then. Their flight tickets were sold for between N30,000 and N35,000.

Specifically, the suspension of flights by some of the airlines led to sharp drop in the number of available seats on planes plying domestic routes, a situation that made air travel a nightmarish experience

However, investigations by our correspondent on Tuesday revealed that the airfares had dropped by about 50 per cent with flight tickets now going for between N14,500 and N25,000 depending on how early a passenger bought the ticket.

The return of Dana and Chanchangi and the commencement of flights by a new operator, Med-View Airlines, in the last two months have led to the drop in airfares, according to findings

Dana Air sells its one-hour flight ticket (economy class) for between N14,000 and N20,000 depending on how early a passenger buys the ticket.

A visit to the Murtala Muhammed Airport, Terminal Two, Lagos, showed that Med-View was selling its one-hour flight for about N20,000 most of the time, while Chanchangi sells it one-hour flight ticket at a flat fare of N17,500.

IRS sells its ticket on some routes, especially the Lagos-Kaduna for N16,000, depending on how early a passenger buys its ticket.

Aero’s fares have been fluctuating with its ticket being sold for over N20,000 most times. However, passengers who book online may pay below N20,000.

Arik Air, a major domestic player, has been selling its one-hour flight ticket for a little above N30,000.

Top airline officials told our correspondent under the condition of anonymity that airfares might crash further when existing carriers acquire more aircraft and more operators begin flying.

It was gathered that FirstNation might resume operations before the end of the first quarter.

Insider sources, however, said the airfares might not reduce below N15,000 because the high price of aviation fuel and exorbitant government taxes might prevent the airline operators from reducing the fares below certain levels.

The Assistant General Secretary, Airlines Operators of Nigeria, Mr. Muhammed Tukur, had predicted in January that airfares would crash by about 40 per cent to between N18,000 and N22,000.

He said, “The industry is controlled by the law of demand and supply. More airlines are coming in, while even the existing ones are buying more planes to cope with the demand.

“I believe during this year, may be in a few months’ time, the fares will drop to between N18,000 and N22,000. The reason for the drop is that the airlines will want to fill their planes.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/airfares-drop-by-50-as-competition-heightens/
Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by obi4eze(m): 8:31am On Jan 30, 2013
Some people won't fly even if airfares were slashed by 500%.

4 Likes

Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jan 30, 2013
Good move
Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by dominique(f): 2:27pm On Jan 30, 2013
Good for them. Those that flew last December paid through their noses. Hope more domestic airlines come around to create more competition.
Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by zangiff(m): 3:30pm On Jan 30, 2013
wharever..........
Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by Catchfire1: 3:34pm On Jan 30, 2013
obi4eze: Some people won't fly even if airfares were slashed by 500%.

Haba, is it by force? angry
Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by Obinnau(m): 3:34pm On Jan 30, 2013
that means i will have to start saving my little money so i will board on a plane at least. @ topic dats a good move at least it will help in decongesting our roads.
Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by Donmams(m): 3:35pm On Jan 30, 2013
99% of Nairalanders have never seen the four walls of an airport. Who cares how much prices have crashed? Mttssew! Next thread!
Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by Nobody: 3:36pm On Jan 30, 2013
I still insist Dana air should not have been given back their licence till they fully settle all the victims of that crash and find out the real cause of the same fatal crash

1 Like

Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by feyiona(m): 3:38pm On Jan 30, 2013
Ada Nri1: I still insist Dana air should not have been given back their licence till they fully settle all the victims of that crash and find out the real cause of the same fatal crash

Dana's operating license has been revoked again

1 Like

Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jan 30, 2013
Donmams: 99% of Nairalanders have never seen the four walls of an airport. Who cares how much prices have crashed? Mttssew! Next thread!
Speak for yourself

18 Likes

Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by Vlyrics: 3:41pm On Jan 30, 2013
Nice 1.... Competition bring d best in every1, both organization and individual.. I belief dis wil also affect d safety of Nigerian airlines
Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by bbulldog(m): 3:41pm On Jan 30, 2013
Competition toh badt!!!!!
Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by miccheck57: 3:41pm On Jan 30, 2013
Mtchew... I thought lagos to abuja is now 5k...

1 Like

Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by mrkels(m): 3:42pm On Jan 30, 2013
Lord knows I hate Arik air and their over priced services. Nonesence thieves exploiting nigerians. I pity people who feel flying arik is a thing of class.
Hope the prices come down futher so that even ssecondary school students would be frequent flyers like it is in other developed countries. I also hope they kill this high airfare prices by installing a standardized rail way system which covers the whole country. I ll like to tell arik air "in your face" someday when this railway dream is actualised in nigeria...

8 Likes

Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by Pergrace: 3:42pm On Jan 30, 2013
V-lyrics:
Nice 1.... Competition bring d best in every1, both organization and individual.. I belief dis wil also affect d safety of Nigerian airlines

I concur
Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by Skoopy(m): 3:43pm On Jan 30, 2013
Arik shuld slash it's rate, it's still on d high side.
Got an arik ticket @ over 30k monday from lag. To calabar. While I bougt aero for 22k last friday to lag. The difference is way too much.
Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by Kx: 3:44pm On Jan 30, 2013
Demand and supply affects price, YES.
But d key determinant of d decision to fly those planes is whether u will hear welcome on arrival even if d fare is N7500.
Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by wildchild1: 3:46pm On Jan 30, 2013
next flight to Abuja

1 Like

Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by Scarpon(m): 3:47pm On Jan 30, 2013
true to good I no fit enter aeroplane even n.a. 5 naira.YOLO
Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by Obiora4life: 3:49pm On Jan 30, 2013
Damn, even N16,000 is a lil on the highside for an hr flight? In all, it's a good thing. Competition is good for business, brings the best out.. and not those who need govt monopoly to thrive.

1 Like

Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jan 30, 2013
Bollocks!

I just paid 40k for a return flight to owerri.

Same as I've been paying for a couple of months
Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by Obinnau(m): 3:52pm On Jan 30, 2013
Scarpon: true to good I no fit enter aeroplane even n.a. 5 naira.YOLO
na lie! Plainly you very much wish to fly on a plane.
Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by taharqa: 3:55pm On Jan 30, 2013
miccheck57: Mtchew... I thought lagos to abuja is now 5k...
Thief...shee na you buy plane for dem grin grin
Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by doctokwus: 3:56pm On Jan 30, 2013
OMO IBO: Bollocks!

I just paid 40k for a return flight to owerri.

Same as I've been paying for a couple of months
There is a diff btw one way& return tickets.D fares quoted above are for 1way fares
Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by ROCKJ1(m): 4:01pm On Jan 30, 2013
Donmams: 99% of Nairalanders have never seen the four walls of an airport. Who cares how much prices have crashed? Mttssew! Next thread!
Speak for yourself oga!

3 Likes

Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by begwong: 4:01pm On Jan 30, 2013
miccheck57: Mtchew... I thought lagos to abuja is now 5k...
Have you tried boarding EkeneDiliChukwu lately!

3 Likes

Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jan 30, 2013
supereagle: Airfares on domestic routes have crashed by about 50 per cent from an average of N32,000 to N16,000 for an hour’s flight, following the recommencement of flight operations by Dana Air and Chanchangi Airlines, as well as the coming on board of a new carrier, Med-View Airlines, findings by our correspondent have revealed.

The suspension of flights by Air Nigeria, Dana Air, FirstNation Airlines and Chanchangi Airlines around the middle of last year had led to over 35 per cent increase in airfares from an average of N22,000 to N32,000.

Desperate passengers fought to get seats on Arik Air, Aero Nigeria and IRS Airlines, the only major domestic airlines in business then. Their flight tickets were sold for between N30,000 and N35,000.

Specifically, the suspension of flights by some of the airlines led to sharp drop in the number of available seats on planes plying domestic routes, a situation that made air travel a nightmarish experience

However, investigations by our correspondent on Tuesday revealed that the airfares had dropped by about 50 per cent with flight tickets now going for between N14,500 and N25,000 depending on how early a passenger bought the ticket.

The return of Dana and Chanchangi and the commencement of flights by a new operator, Med-View Airlines, in the last two months have led to the drop in airfares, according to findings

Dana Air sells its one-hour flight ticket (economy class) for between N14,000 and N20,000 depending on how early a passenger buys the ticket.

A visit to the Murtala Muhammed Airport, Terminal Two, Lagos, showed that Med-View was selling its one-hour flight for about N20,000 most of the time, while Chanchangi sells it one-hour flight ticket at a flat fare of N17,500.

IRS sells its ticket on some routes, especially the Lagos-Kaduna for N16,000, depending on how early a passenger buys its ticket.

Aero’s fares have been fluctuating with its ticket being sold for over N20,000 most times. However, passengers who book online may pay below N20,000.

Arik Air, a major domestic player, has been selling its one-hour flight ticket for a little above N30,000.

Top airline officials told our correspondent under the condition of anonymity that airfares might crash further when existing carriers acquire more aircraft and more operators begin flying.

It was gathered that FirstNation might resume operations before the end of the first quarter.

Insider sources, however, said the airfares might not reduce below N15,000 because the high price of aviation fuel and exorbitant government taxes might prevent the airline operators from reducing the fares below certain levels.

The Assistant General Secretary, Airlines Operators of Nigeria, Mr. Muhammed Tukur, had predicted in January that airfares would crash by about 40 per cent to between N18,000 and N22,000.

He said, “The industry is controlled by the law of demand and supply. More airlines are coming in, while even the existing ones are buying more planes to cope with the demand.

“I believe during this year, may be in a few months’ time, the fares will drop to between N18,000 and N22,000. The reason for the drop is that the airlines will want to fill their planes.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/airfares-drop-by-50-as-competition-heightens/
So......
Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by asids55: 4:15pm On Jan 30, 2013
they just made the route to death cheap
Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by miccheck57: 4:17pm On Jan 30, 2013
taharqa: Thief...shee na you buy plane for dem grin grin

My guy, wetin u say make I talk na?... See as dem talk 50% slash as if the majority fit still afford am... Well, its abt class sha...

2 Likes

Re: Domestic Airfares Drop By 50% As Competition Heightens by asala1: 4:19pm On Jan 30, 2013
feyiona:

Dana's operating license has been revoked again
They are still operating.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

1 Million For Visa To Canada Or Stay Back In Nigeria / Lagos Diverts Traffic On Murtala Muhammed Way For Construction Of Red Line Rail / COVID-19: Nigeria Lists New Rules For UK, South Africa Passengers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.