Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,706 members, 7,805,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:09 AM

36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings (102849 Views)

INEC Releases Statistics Of PVC Collected In All 36 States And FCT / Jonathan Vs Buhari: How They Stand In 36 States, FCT - PUNCH / List Of Senatorial Candidates For The 36 States And FCT And Their QUALIFICATION (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by busyaryomy: 7:33pm On Jan 31, 2013
Very educative.
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by mardon: 7:38pm On Jan 31, 2013
This is very educative, I hope this history is currently part of the curriculum for schools because I can't remember being taught.
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Acidosis(m): 7:39pm On Jan 31, 2013
honey001:

Igbira?

Okun (Yoruba). You?

1 Like

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by YOUNGKAHUNA: 7:43pm On Jan 31, 2013
Yea. Hail Straight From The Beautiful City Of Jos (Plateau State).
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Acidosis(m): 7:48pm On Jan 31, 2013
KINGwax: we knw
*shocked* how come?
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by YOUNGKAHUNA: 7:48pm On Jan 31, 2013
Yea Mix-Breed. Hail Straight From The Beautiful City Of Jos (Plateau State) And Kogi.
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by NegroNtns(m): 8:00pm On Jan 31, 2013
iyaniwura,

as always, you did it again! i enjoy reading informative and educative posts. keep it up dear and earn points and followership for end of year vote.

2 Likes

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by adedotman5(m): 8:07pm On Jan 31, 2013
Lagos is the only state with two nationwide recognised name in LAGOS and EKO,Hiphop has even added a third naming her LASGIDI or simply GIDI

1 Like

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by DanIlon(m): 8:33pm On Jan 31, 2013
Very pleasant to learn it all are Perfect am from birnin kebbi.
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by DanIlon(m): 8:38pm On Jan 31, 2013
YOUNGKAHUNA: Yea. Hail Straight From The Beautiful City Of Jos (Plateau State).
but vilence is alway carry out committ by plateauean but peace is answer destroy shop is destroy Jos
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by theripper2: 9:01pm On Jan 31, 2013
Repping Borno ----- Land of Peace and Tranquility.

Nice one @OP.
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Eneze1(f): 9:14pm On Jan 31, 2013
quote author=Acidosis]I rep... Kogi. Simple as ABC.[/quote]

We rep Kogi
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by bcomputer101: 9:18pm On Jan 31, 2013
i represent ONDO STATE

2 Likes

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Bambela(m): 9:19pm On Jan 31, 2013
Nice job but waitooooo; does hausa/ fulani people has base in Nigeria? Just asking
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jan 31, 2013
No wonda FUTY was rename 2 MAUTECH. "MODIBO ADAMA"
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by AreaFada2: 9:30pm On Jan 31, 2013
PosCaricature :
Great Edolites in the house?

Reppppppppppppppppppppping Edo home & Away.

Proud for random people to have asked me to enlighten them about Benin Empire at the British Museum London, Berlin Museum(fuer Volkerkunde) and Paris Museum(des Arts d'Afrique et d'Oceanie).

.......Edo is one of the few places in Naija with a World Heritage site.

........The place with the world's largest earth work ever done (the Benin Moats and Ramparts).

........That's right! It's not the pyramids of Egypt or the Great Wall of China. Something Western experts like to hide inside books that only experts will read.

Someday when we finally overcome corruption, tribalism and sectarianism and take our pride of placece among the comity of nations. We might just come to discover all the gems we have refused to exploit for tourism.
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jan 31, 2013
How come kwara was named after the minorities?
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Pappyto: 9:47pm On Jan 31, 2013
I rep lagos, eko aromisa legbelegbe ilu to kun fun wara @i oyin
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by autchman144(m): 9:55pm On Jan 31, 2013
Educating
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by bushwailo: 10:02pm On Jan 31, 2013
Tot Lagos was named after Laos by the portugees

@OP are you sure on this one ?
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by SOUTHSOUTH1: 10:02pm On Jan 31, 2013
9ice one @ OP..
AKWA IBOM OH MY AKWA IBOM!
me love ya.. grin
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Eifeh(m): 10:03pm On Jan 31, 2013
042 for life best city
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by neksummi(m): 10:04pm On Jan 31, 2013
I'm bookmarking this right away. Very educative.
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by JoanJohnson(f): 10:15pm On Jan 31, 2013
This is the best thread ever since i joined Nairaland. @OP, nice work, will sure save this for myself and my unborn kids.
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by searay(m): 10:16pm On Jan 31, 2013
@ OP, thanks alot for a great work such as this. But allow me to say that Akwa Ibom did not derived her name from Qua Iboe. The full name is Akwa Abasi Ibom State, meaning God Almighty's State.
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by nagoma(m): 10:22pm On Jan 31, 2013
Good attempt I couldn't read all. Jigawa is simple but you didn't get it right. The largest group of sand dunes in Nigeria are the those geographically described as the Hadejia sand dunes. These are basicaccaly huge longitudinal dunes also referred to as seif dunes. these are different from the typical crescentic dunes common in most of the sahara desert.They are found in series and in very large numbers in the present Jigawa state , in northern Bauchi and south east of katsina states. In Hausa these dunes are called Jigawa. And that is where the name comes from.
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jan 31, 2013
mechummy: reppin Anambra state!!!
am not from Anambra but i know say una get human resources well well. Plenty people dat have made Nigeria proud in diff aspects come from Anambra
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Revolva(m): 10:58pm On Jan 31, 2013
Omo what is even the benefit of creating all these nonsense teritories called state in Nigeria..hiss I have officially dropped my state and me na residence I dey look jare..state of origin should be removed and state of residence approved ..there will be less tribalism

2 Likes

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by dejijohns(m): 11:11pm On Jan 31, 2013
uromi.com:
YORUBA...................THIEVES
HAUSA.................... TERRORIST
IGBO .................... FIGHT ENDLESS WAR OJUKU BECAME HERO FOR NOTHING
EDO ..................... HOME FOR CULTURE AND TRADITION WHERE NIAJA DERIVE THERE PINGIN ENGLISH FROM

I SEE EDO THE BEST
It seems U av 4gotin dat almost all the prostitutes outsyd d shores of dix country are frm EDO... Be reminded plz...

2 Likes

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by dejijohns(m): 11:17pm On Jan 31, 2013
Acidosis:

Okun (Yoruba). You?
Ooor, abi no b xo dem dey spel am??
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Hadesewa: 11:20pm On Jan 31, 2013
Educative,informative n very interesting..........op ride on more strenght
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by dejijohns(m): 11:23pm On Jan 31, 2013
Kogi(Okun) + Osun(Ijesha)= ME...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Moment Oshiomhole Looked At The Bottle Water Thrown At Him At Ogun APC Rally / Photo: President Jonathan And Patience in their University days / The Jagaban Of Lagos, Tinubu, Dances Inside His Mansion. See Reactions (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.