Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,369 members, 7,808,286 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:54 AM

IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 (15319 Views)

These 5 Powerful People May Cause Nigeria’s Break-up / Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka / Us Did Not Predict Nigeria’s Break-up In 2015 – Ambassador Mcculley (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by LocalChamp: 3:38am On Feb 01, 2013
How to avoid Nigeria’s breakaway in 2015 – IBB
On February 1, 2013 · In News 12:56 am

By HUGO ODIOGOR & CHARLES KUMOLU

Former Military president, General Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida (rtd), yesterday undertook a critical view of the predictions made by soothsayers, including the United States of America that Nigeria will disintegrate in 2015 and suggested ways to ensure the predictions do not become a reality.

General Babangida spoke where he was the chairman of the public presentation of two books in honour of former External Affairs Minister, Prof. Bolaji Akinyemi at the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs, Victoria Island, Lagos.

Said he: “As Nigerians, we are aware of the great doubts that have been cast about what 2015 portends for the continuing existence of our nation. I am aware that Nigerians have taken great umbrage at these predictions. Even Lord Lugard who founded what has been called Nigeria gave it a life-span of 100 years.

“I regard it as a challenge to our intelligence to ensure that these portends and prophesies do not become self-fulfilling. We should engage these predictions on an intellectual level, testing whether the facts justify the conclusions.

“But on a practical and public policy level, we must import honesty into our public policy assessments. Firstly, we must identify the problems that need to be addressed. Secondly we must address these problems honestly.

“Thirdly we must identify the most current and the most appropriate mechanism for addressing these issues.

“Let me make this clear. My position is not dictated by the fact that foreigners are making these predictions. We don’t even need foreign sources as a reference point. The Nigerian media is awash with alarming news about our problems. My position is dictated by my conviction that Nigeria is precious enough to be saved.

It deserves an investment of our time and resources to make Project Nigeria a success. But the starting point has to be an admission that we need to fix things. We need a new mindset about the Nigerian project. Let us start off by admitting the mistakes of the past. Right policies have at times been wrongly implemented. Temporary solutions have often been turned into permanent policies, even though the problems they were designed to address have long been solved”.

Making suggestions on how to ensure the continued existence of Nigeria beyond the predicted 2015, General Babangida said, “the issue of the principle of federal character needs to be revisited. In a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-religious nation, the principle of Federal Character is a sensible one and there is no alternative to it. Each national group must be given a feeling of belonging.

What needs to be refined is the question of standards. Federal character can go hand in hand with merit. 50 years after independence and over 50 years after the establishment of universities in Nigeria, there should be no national groups, no states, no zones, no hamlets without qualified citizens. Therefore there should be no question of employing unqualified people in the name of federal character, just as there should be no question of abandoning the principle of federal character in a Federation.

Principle of federal character

“We must admit that sacrifices have been made and sacrifices will continue to be made for the survival of this Nigerian project. In the past, maybe there has not been sufficient recognition of the fact that those making these sacrifices have grievances which should have been addressed.

“Maybe in the past, there had not been sufficient recognition of the fact that each national group has legitimate fears and grievances. Some of the mistakes of the past have now come to haunt us. But let me make one thing clear. Not all these mistakes were made out of callousness or bad faith or malice.

Most people in office do their best. They act to the best of their ability. Unless we think that our leaders have divine ability, we have to admit that even with all the best of their abilities and even with the best faith and with the best of all intentions, human beings will still make mistakes.

“That after nearly 100 years of existence, people and national groups still have grievances provide us with an opportunity to address these grievances. That these grievances are of sufficient magnitude for them to demand a dissolution of the nation show the extent of the grievances and therefore it should point to the magnitude of the seriousness with which we should address the grievances.

From the creeks in the Niger Delta to the Sahelian areas of the North, Nigeria is under pressure. Now is the time for us to regard the rescue effort as a joint enterprise to secure maximum benefits for all and not an enterprise to secure temporary advantage for one group over another. We need to arrive at a grand consensus that will move this nation forward rather than a panel-beaten system that satisfies no one except the temporary holders of power.

“We can face the challenges together, united in the spirit of a joint enterprise and propelled by the belief in the greatness of this country and a commitment to make Nigeria a source of pride and inspiration to the black race”.

Centenary celebration

Speaking on the forthcoming centenary celebrations General Babangida said, “in less than a year, in about 11 months and a few days, we as Nigerians will be celebrating 100 years of our existence as a legal united entity. We have cause to rejoice. During these 100 years, Europe has endured two world wars, Russia had gone through a revolution, a civil war and finally gone from being Russia to Soviet Union and back to Russia.

During this time, Spain and Yugoslavia have gone through horrendous civil wars. During this time, several countries in Asia, including China went through civil wars that almost brought them to their knees.

“Yet today, Europe is one of the fastest growing economies in the world. China is destined in a few years to become the biggest economy in the world. Yes, during the past 100 years of our existence, we also have gone through a horrendous civil war. The events that led to the war and the war itself have left lasting effects on all of us, including those who were not even born during those events.

“As other countries have overcome the mistakes in their history and moved on, so we Nigerians also have cause to rejoice that even though in our history we have met with obstacles, we have experienced ups and downs, each generation had sought to the best of its ability to tackle these obstacles. That we are still a united nation is sufficient cause for congratulation.

Our problems are not over. Nation building is not like an electric switch which you turn on and off. It is a continuous process which makes a heavy demand on government and the people”.

Eulogising Prof. Akinyemi, in whose honour the books were being launched, he said “let me say a word or two about the man we are all here to honour today. That he was my first External Affairs Minister is an established fact. That before then he was the Director-General of this Institute, the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs for eight years is also an established fact.

The fact that as part of today’s programme, there is a symposium on the Technical Aid Corps scheme, one of Prof. Akinyemi’s enduring legacy in government, is ample demonstration of the relevance of Prof. Akinyemi to Nigeria’s Foreign Policy.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/02/how-to-avoid-nigerias-breakaway-in-2015-ibb/
Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by manny4life(m): 4:56am On Feb 01, 2013
“Let me make this clear. My position is not dictated by the fact that foreigners are making these predictions. We don’t even need foreign sources as a reference point. The Nigerian media is awash with alarming news about our problems. My position is dictated by my conviction that Nigeria is precious enough to be saved.

Nigeria can ONLY be saved when you return your stolen loot, when yall begin to tell yourselves the truth, and ONLY when the people of Nigeria rise on the challenge, by fire or force and put an end to the menace. Till a lot of stuff is done, General, you're just speaking big English.

9 Likes

Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by 1soul(m): 6:14am On Feb 01, 2013
I love naija, but if it takes disintegration to get things right, I'm all for it. Tired of this slaughter house we call a country!

4 Likes

Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by chosen04(f): 6:32am On Feb 01, 2013
Wait! Do you mean that IBB just reconfirmed that LUGARD gave the country a 100 years life max? I can now understand why GEJ and DAVID MARK kee's ranting about why niGERia must remain indivisible.

2 Likes

Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by israel007: 6:49am On Feb 01, 2013
Hmmm
Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by Ogbonaikenna(m): 7:09am On Feb 01, 2013
chosen04: Wait! Do you mean that IBB just reconfirmed that LUGARD gave the country a 100 years life max? I can now understand why GEJ and DAVID MARK kee's ranting about why niGERia must remain indivisible.
he just confirmed it. So, everybody needs to be prepared to go home.

3 Likes

Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by AbdulAdam56(m): 7:21am On Feb 01, 2013
I love this man,general I.B.B.The truth has a tongue.

1 Like

Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by geeez: 7:22am On Feb 01, 2013
Why is our break up one of the biggest debates in recent times with the president continually reiterating that Nigeria will not divide under him. While Nigeria may remain one country after 2015, every politically savvy person should be prepared

1 Like

Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by ibide(m): 8:49am On Feb 01, 2013
Thank God they all know that nigeria is going to divide
Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by Willy7(m): 10:02am On Feb 01, 2013
Hate them or love them,nobody,not even Lord Lugard understands the dynamics and complexity of this Nation than IBB and OBJ.Fortunately i'm no fan of both but i respect their deptness and insight when it comes to issues relating to the existence and course of the Nigerian project.One striking and insightful statement he made among many others is 'Temporal solutions becoming permanent policies'.Infact this is the hallmark of GEJ's presidency.Though it has been a partern since OBJ's tenure.A case study is the increaments in fuel pump price among many other policies that were supposed to be temporal solutions.After the solutions have been found,this lootocracy of a govt will still leave the policies in place to use as conduit pipes to be siphoning money at the expense of the poor masses.Prices never go down once they go up in Nigeria.About our disintegration,its only a brain dead blind man that doesnt see it coming.It may even come sooner than expected with the way things are going.Corruption and lootocracy is at an all time high,insensitivity and profligacy on the part of the govt has gone up on a high scale.The masses are have been pushed to the wall and against d wall,religious tolerance is being tested every now and then,ethnic and tribalism is on the rise;it has even crept into our military with d recent informations emanating from her ranks and files.Its just a matter of time before it explodes.The british drew the masterplan but it can only last for a 100 hundred years after which we are responsible for the new plan.Can this crop of leaders chat a new and lasting course for the Nation?Can this present citizens of Nigeria that have been witness large scale of corruption and insensitivity from her leaders be willing to make any further sacrifice of remaining as one Nation despite the high rate of tribalism and ethnic bigotry that has become like a cancer eaten deep into her?Only God knows and has the answer. We may not have a revolution or sovereign National conference as we anticipate,it might just happen just like that.It may hurt to disintegrate but if that is the way forward and will put an end to the religious and tribal intolerance,then i'm up for it. God help us all

6 Likes

Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by 1800bc(f): 10:39am On Feb 01, 2013
He sounds well articulated... I hope he means what he is saying sha.
Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by tomakint: 10:43am On Feb 01, 2013
News like this calls for 'deep reflections' indeed, a lot is wrong with Nigeria and her leaders! undecided The 'expected change' (Disintegration) may just just happen anytime from now, the ground is really fertile for it! I am watching cool The principle of egalitarianism was more pronounced when Nigeria was under regionalism, at least going by what obtains in each region. Ironsi scattered that wonderful platform and Gowon watered it to maturity by his creation of 12 states, a precedent that led to Nigeria’s precarious situation till date. No thanks to these two soldiers! You will agree with me that, a belligerent Nigeria is what this present arrangement (a too powerful central government plus a multi-coloured system of government) has turned Nigeria into. I would have preferred to see a more united and purposeful Nigeria entrenched in the principle of egalitarianism but with this present arrangement? No way! I would rather be a staunch supporter of a bloodless divided Nigeria; I believe Nigeria can divide peacefully! What many emotional-laden Nigerians have failed to understand is that we only practiced with regionalism that favoured federalism for 6 years, if we had stay a little longer with it, by now we (as a Nation) would have been the “real giant of Africa” and a force to be reckoned with economically in the comity of nations! cool

2 Likes

Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by Nobody: 11:29am On Feb 01, 2013
chosen04: Wait! Do you mean that IBB just reconfirmed that LUGARD gave the country a 100 years life max? I can now understand why GEJ and DAVID MARK kee's ranting about why niGERia must remain indivisible.
and this is the reason why the president and his cohorts have been looting this country dry! 2015 is just around the corner.i just hope the country splits in peace.
Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by Nobody: 11:38am On Feb 01, 2013
OBJ, now IBB speaking philosophically. The writing's on the wall for those who choose to see...
Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by flow1759: 11:38am On Feb 01, 2013
Its not a matter of spliting, but lets split peacefully.
Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by Nobody: 11:39am On Feb 01, 2013
berem: and this is the reason why the president and his cohorts have been looting this country dry! 2015 is just around the corner.i just hope the country splits in peace.
No be me talk am o... cheesy
Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by stacomaster(m): 11:41am On Feb 01, 2013
Ibb aqain ...ah tink say em dn die
Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by ifihearam: 11:45am On Feb 01, 2013
The only time this country can divide is when an IGBO man is in power and that will never happen especially not under the fatherly watch of GEJ,he will lead this country till 2019 and all predictions will not materialise.
IBB has said it all,the politics of federal character needs to be done evenly and that is what his excellency is actually doing so where is the division coming from...

I am back again una go ban tire.
Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by jmoore(m): 11:48am On Feb 01, 2013
Nigeria will break up the things that have held the country under bondage, eg corruption, bad governance etc. But breaking up in terms of splitting or secession will never happen. 2015 is the year for Nigeria to rise.

2 Likes

Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by tomakint: 11:49am On Feb 01, 2013
ifihearam: The only time this country can divide is when an IGBO man is in power and that will never happen especially not under the fatherly watch of GEJ,he will lead this country till 2019 and all predictions will not materialise.
IBB has said it all,the politics of federal character needs to be done evenly and that is what his excellency is actually doing so where is the division coming from...

I am back again una go ban tire.

Welcome on board, where you at? cool
Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by executinal(m): 11:53am On Feb 01, 2013
Mr corruption at it again. So Lord lugard told you that Nigeria was made to exist for 100 years only? So what are we waiting for? Silly Old fool your foundation to this country is what kept us backward.

3 Likes

Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by Nobody: 11:53am On Feb 01, 2013
Every President Nigeria ever had, thinks and reasons better after his exit from Aso Rock and not when in Aso with all the Powers to make permanent positive changes, IBB is one such example, he started out good with the establishment of SDP and NRC and decided to Kill the Dreams of Abiola and the man, and truncated Nigeria into the gear 5 of corruption, he exited the Presidency and rode alongside his cousin Abdulsallam to siphone our collective treasures. History has inexhaustible memory archived in iCloud. Forever we will remember the man codenamed the evil Genius, so good and so very bad a man. He prolly read the 48 Laws of Power. Now to the issue of Federal Character, I think another name for Federal Character is bull-sh.it. What Nigeria, needs is a government form that's used by successful nations, its called Economical and Political Confederal Government, a democracy that States are individually autonomous but an Abuja that supervises, and not an Abuja that Generates all resources and pays allocation to states, whose governors go on spending spree. IBB, we are watching your every move. I doubt if you have good intentions, your history is in iCloud.

8 Likes

Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by ifihearam: 11:54am On Feb 01, 2013
tomakint:

Welcome on board, where you at? cool
My broda see me ooo,whenever I speak the truth as an apostle of truth they ban me,they forget that virtue leaves me each time I speak the gospel truth.

1 Like

Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by gerald09(m): 11:55am On Feb 01, 2013
Announcement to all government official that are looting money, here is an example of what will happen if una continue to cripple dis country, even IBB 1 of nigerian greatest looter is actually feeling the pains of his actions. So I say please make una keep destroying Nigeria Ѿε̲̣̣̣̥ will all suffer is eventually that is the Gospel truth. IBB sir, there is no amount of english or insight you can give that will change what you have already started its simple the ripple effect of life. GOD is not going to save Nigeria, Ѿε̲̣̣̣̥ will have to do it ourselves so in other to help the change u will have to tell the truth to us and return all the money you and ur mafia group has stolen or be prepared for younger and crazier mafia. You fink you can mess the country up and expect a beautiful repercussion. TIME is a bitch!!!
Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by Ebestsmscom: 11:55am On Feb 01, 2013
Nawaa..
Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by ifihearam: 11:56am On Feb 01, 2013
jmoore: Nigeria will break up the things that have held the country under bondage, eg corruption, bad governance etc. But breaking up in terms of splitting or secession will never happen. 2015 is the year for Nigeria to rise.

God bless you,it will never break up especially not under the watch of president GEJ,he must fulfil his destiny by taking us to our canaan.
Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by tomakint: 11:58am On Feb 01, 2013
LocalChamp: How to avoid Nigeria’s breakaway in 2015 – IBB
On February 1, 2013 · In News 12:56 am

By HUGO ODIOGOR & CHARLES KUMOLU

Former Military president, General Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida (rtd), yesterday undertook a critical view of the predictions made by soothsayers, including the United States of America that Nigeria will disintegrate in 2015 and suggested ways to ensure the predictions do not become a reality.

General Babangida spoke where he was the chairman of the public presentation of two books in honour of former External Affairs Minister, Prof. Bolaji Akinyemi at the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs, Victoria Island, Lagos.

Said he: “As Nigerians, we are aware of the great doubts that have been cast about what 2015 portends for the continuing existence of our nation. I am aware that Nigerians have taken great umbrage at these predictions. Even Lord Lugard who founded what has been called Nigeria gave it a life-span of 100 years.

“I regard it as a challenge to our intelligence to ensure that these portends and prophesies do not become self-fulfilling. We should engage these predictions on an intellectual level, testing whether the facts justify the conclusions.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/02/how-to-avoid-nigerias-breakaway-in-2015-ibb/
Words in bold call for 'proper scrutiny'! Never doubt what these leaders are up to deep down inside of them!
Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by OluEmmaAss: 12:00pm On Feb 01, 2013
He sure knows what he's saying. The hand writting has since been on the wall but we are just seeing it.
Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by yomip3t(m): 12:00pm On Feb 01, 2013
A blessed country where citizens find it hard to eat ! Something will surely put an end to it.
Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by tomakint: 12:02pm On Feb 01, 2013
ifihearam:
My broda see me ooo,whenever I speak the truth as an apostle of truth they ban me,they forget that virtue leaves me each time I speak the gospel truth.
You're a funny dude cheesy cheesy cheesy and why do you think this contraption called Nigeria cannot split if I may ask?

1 Like

Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by Nobody: 12:05pm On Feb 01, 2013
musKeeto:
No be me talk am o... cheesy
no worry na me talk am! no shaking. grin grin
Re: IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 by sage2(m): 12:08pm On Feb 01, 2013
Did he offer to return all the money he looted from the treasury?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ikorodu Killings: Nigerians Have Lost Trust In Police- Commissioner Of Police / Ondo Election: Elegbeleye Dumps PDP (photos) / Nationwide Blackout Imminent As Power Generation Falls Below 3,000MW

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.