Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:17 AM

Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery (4099 Views)

$2.1 Billion Arms Scandal: EFCC Files Charges Against Haliru Mohammed And Son / N1.9 Bn Alleged Subsidy Fraud: Suspect Accuses EFCC Of ‘ambush’ / FG Files Charges Against Leadership Journalists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by karlmax2: 7:20am On Feb 01, 2013
• S’Court rejects EFCC’s appeal in Ibori’s case

THE Federal Government Thursday finally filed a seven-count charge against the former House of Representatives Ad-hoc Committee Chairman on fuel subsidy regime, Farouk Lawan and his alleged accomplice Boniface Emenalo at the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Abuja.

Besides, the Supreme Court Thursday threw out an appeal filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) against former Delta State Governor, James Onanefe Ibori on the grounds that the assignment of cases was purely an administrative matter.

While striking out the appeal, Justice Mahmud Mohammed said that the appeal had become a mere academic exercise and therefore of no consequence.

Lawan and Emenalo are alleged to have sometime in April 2012 or thereabout in Abuja within the FCT under the jurisdiction of the court while acting in the course of their official duties as chairman and secretary respectively of House of Representatives Ad-Hoc Committee on monitoring of fuel subsidy regime conspired between themselves and with each other to corruptly obtain $3 million from Mr. Femi Otedola, Chairman of Zenon Petroleum and Gas Limited.

The charge continued that this amount was an inducement to remove the name of Zenon from the committee’s report and did cause the House of Representatives to remove same from the said list and thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 26(1)(C) of the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act, 2000. The charge said the offence was punishable under Section 8 (1) of the same Act.

According to the prosecutor, Mrs. O.O. Fatunde who is also the Director of Public Prosecutions of the Federation in the office of the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF), Lawan who has four of the seven-count charge also corruptly obtained $500,000 from Otedola as an inducement to remove the name of Zenon from the report. She said that the offence was contrary to Section 17 (1) (a) of the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act, 2000 and punishable under Section 17 (1) of the same Act.

In the fifth count charge, Emenalo was alleged to have corruptly asked for $3 million from Otedola to remove the name of his company from the list of companies indicted in the fuel subsidy scam, thereby violating the ICPC Act, 2000.

http://www.theguardianmobile.com/readNewsItem1.php?nid=10384
Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by confusion247(m): 7:53am On Feb 01, 2013
The amount involved is too small, they will be convicted, jailed for 5 years or with an option of fine in the sum of 20 million naira.
Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by thelastPope(m): 8:57am On Feb 01, 2013
Though am a bit unhappy that it took investigators this long to wrap up this case, I am happy it is finally coming to the front burner. The most important thing about these cases is that they be seen to a logical conclusion. Whether we like it or not, the mentality and awareness in Nigeria is changing and people are being charged to court and the cases processed conclusively for once in our history. As much as all of us are not happy about the pension boss sentence, the fact that he was actually convicted it a great step to celebrate. It is a sign we have started the journey and we can all keep the the pressure on and keep getting it right. Now the new push is that the sentences must be bigger and tougher. Before, it was that people should be prosecuted. Thats some progress and eventually we will keep pushing the bar till we get there.

One thing I love about Jonathan is that he doesnt get involved in these cases. Every Nigerian president I know have always being involved in these cases and have mostly frustrated them when it had to do with their own. We have to now take the battle to the judiciary and the NASS. The NASS has to improve the anti corruption laws and the judiciary has to do their job right. Nigeria will get it right. I strongly believe!

7 Likes

Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by takedat(m): 9:18am On Feb 01, 2013
thelastPope: Though am a bit unhappy that it took investigators this long to wrap up this case, I am happy it is finally coming to the front burner. The most important thing about these cases is that they be seen to a logical conclusion. Whether we like it or not, the mentality and awareness in Nigeria is changing and people are being charged to court and the cases processed conclusively for once in our history. As much as all of us are not happy about the pension boss sentence, the fact that he was actually convicted it a great step to celebrate. It is a sign we have started the journey and we can all keep the the pressure on and keep getting it right. Now the new push is that the sentences must be bigger and tougher. Before, it was that people should be prosecuted. Thats some progress and eventually we will keep pushing the bar till we get there.

One thing I love about Jonathan is that he doesnt get involved in these cases. Every Nigerian president I know have always being involved in these cases and have mostly frustrated them when it had to do with their own. We have to now take the battle to the judiciary and the NASS. The NASS has to improve the anti corruption laws and the judiciary has to do their job right. Nigeria will get it right. I strongly believe!
Wow! You're dumb and a half. Rather than commend Keyamo who brazenly challenged the government on why they have failed to prosecute Lawan and took it upon itself to individually do that, before this weak and spineless government realised her game was up. You were busy showering accolades and fawning on GEJ, while castigating the legislature and judiciary.

4 Likes

Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by Demdem(m): 9:22am On Feb 01, 2013
Excellent development. The receiver has been charged, what about the giver, otedollar? As long as the SSS still finds it difficult to recover their marked currencies till date, it surely wasnt a string operation from them. Otedollar was a willing giver who later changed his mind to give up his fellow accomplices. he too should be charged and prosecuted.

1 Like

Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by lateef4me(m): 9:22am On Feb 01, 2013
About time !
Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by Demdem(m): 9:24am On Feb 01, 2013
take dat: Wow! You're a dumb and a half. Rather than commend Keyamo who brazenly challenged the government on why they have failed to prosecute Lawan and took it upon itself to individually do that, before this weak and spineless government realised its game was up. You were busy showering accolades and fawning on GEJ, while castigating the legislative and judiciary.

u hit the nail there no doubt. I have this strong feeling that the govt is reluctantly going ahead with this case. wont be surprised if after sometime the case will also go cold like others before him.

1 Like

Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by omarky(m): 9:24am On Feb 01, 2013
take dat: Wow! You're a dumb and a half. Rather than commend Keyamo who brazenly challenged the government on why they have failed to prosecute Lawan and took it upon itself to individually do that, before this weak and spineless government realised her game was up. You were busy showering accolades and fawning on GEJ, while castigating the legislative and judiciary.

U can say dt again...
Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by Ibangap(m): 9:26am On Feb 01, 2013
If it took dis long to open up a case against dem, only God knws hw long dis case itself will last. Probably Lawan would hav copleted his tenure as a lawmaker nd contested 4 a governorship seat in his state. Failed State.
Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by Demdem(m): 9:28am On Feb 01, 2013
Ibanga p: If it took dis long to open up a case against dem, only God knws hw long dis case itself will last. Probably Lawan would hav copleted his tenure as a lawmaker nd contested 4 a governorship seat in his state. Failed State.

And probably win. After which immunity clause will be in play and case has to wait till 2023 before its finally adjudicated.
FRESH AIR !!!! cool cool
Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by 1shortblackboy: 9:31am On Feb 01, 2013
After all this noise sey na 2 yrs and 250k option of fine nai dem go give am ...mchewwwwwwWwww make I go do wetin my oga send me abeg ! undecided

1 Like

Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by Teejayphillip(m): 9:32am On Feb 01, 2013
Gud move festus keyamo.... I jus hope we c dis case to it root...
Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by kennytidistar(m): 9:33am On Feb 01, 2013
take dat: Wow! You're dumb and a half. Rather than commend Keyamo who brazenly challenged the government on why they have failed to prosecute Lawan and took it upon itself to individually do that, before this weak and spineless government realised her game was up. You were busy showering accolades and fawning on GEJ, while castigating the legislative and judiciary.

relax man! He has'nt said anything wrong about the whole issue he/she is just been fair. Following his line of reasoning logicall.
Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by dady12: 9:35am On Feb 01, 2013
do niaja still ve hope in the judicairy?i dont think so,pension boss was jail 2yrs ,it means lawan will pay a fine of 200k and will be allow to work freely,what a currupt society! we pray our judiciary not to sweep this under the carpet,becos legislative power can turn thgs upside down
Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by wasiudvd(m): 9:36am On Feb 01, 2013
We don hear, we know where its going to end. Similar movie, same director, jst different actors. Soon we go hear say dey don edit some pple scene comot for d film.
Mtcheew!
Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by vincent09(m): 9:51am On Feb 01, 2013
Pls does anyone know where I can buy garri online?

Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by Nobody: 9:57am On Feb 01, 2013
Mtcheew
Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by DisGuy: 9:57am On Feb 01, 2013
Whether we like it or not, the mentality and awareness in Nigeria is changing and people are being charged to court and the cases processed conclusively for once in our history.

sorry, can you list some cases that have been processed conclusively as you put it?

btw i thought this was a sting operation, how come it's taking this long and they still cant finf 'their own money'?
Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by Nobody: 10:00am On Feb 01, 2013
Our judiciary is too corrupt. Farouk, might walk free. If I am president, I will jail most judges on circumstantial evidences of any crime. #Shame!
Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by DWJOBScom(m): 10:01am On Feb 01, 2013
take dat: Wow! You're dumb and a half. Rather than commend Keyamo who brazenly challenged the government on why they have failed to prosecute Lawan and took it upon itself to individually do that, before this weak and spineless government realised her game was up. You were busy showering accolades and fawning on GEJ, while castigating the legislature and judiciary.

No, you are the dumb fellow and a bucket full!! In your quest to be vocal in your merry cries and name calling to governance you left out a lot of things
A lot of cases have been thrown out by the courts for want of evidence and EFCC officers had to work hard on this. We have backlog of cases against ex governors and they wouldn't want this to go that way
They don't have enough lawyers to represent these cases as their budgets are stretched in playing these lawyers(in your town crying mode u forgot to cry out when national assembly reduced EFCC budget)
Judges to hear the cases too( they are humans, they could be on leave or study or listening to a million other cases)
I think this government is based on rule of law and non interference in other depts
Don't be taken by the various actors who are of the gallery
Try to seat on the fence and grow up

2 Likes

Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by idlaw2k3(m): 10:14am On Feb 01, 2013
DWJOBS.com:

No, you are the dumb fellow and a bucket full!! In your quest to be vocal in your merry cries and name calling to governance you left out a lot of things
A lot of cases have been thrown out by the courts for want of evidence and EFCC officers had to work hard on this. We have backlog of cases against ex governors and they wouldn't want this to go that way
They don't have enough lawyers to represent these cases as their budgets are stretched in playing these lawyers(in your town crying mode u forgot to cry out when national assembly reduced EFCC budget)
Judges to hear the cases too( they are humans, they could be on leave or study or listening to a million other cases)
I think this government is based on rule of law and non interference in other depts

If this Government is based on the rule of law, which law set up the office of the first lady to which N4Billion was to be appropriated to build a mission house? The police had concluded its investigation long ago. This case will implicate some people bigger than Farook
Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by Nobody: 10:19am On Feb 01, 2013
idlaw2k3:

If this Government is based on the rule of law, which law set up the office of the first lady to which N4Billion was to be appropriated to build a mission house? The police had concluded its investigation long ago. This case will implicate some people bigger than Farook
You need a little more education on Independence of the Judiciary and the organs of governments in a democracy. Oh, I forgot, illiteracy is synonymous with ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by OluEmmaAss: 10:22am On Feb 01, 2013
Politics is all about filing away each other's dirty secret for the appropriate time. Farouk may walk free as he will want to drag many powerful people down with him.
Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by DWJOBScom(m): 10:27am On Feb 01, 2013
idlaw2k3:

You need to read that up very well and understand what the fund is meant for.....its not for her or her family but for a project she's initiating. All we can do is to make sure the money is used for what's its intended and not a money laundering duct
Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by takedat(m): 10:31am On Feb 01, 2013
DWJOBS.com:

Here comes another half-wit. Are you so quick to jump to the defence of your brother, meanwhile you are intellectually inept to comprehend what my post was all about. The biggest problem of these anti graft agencies; EFCC, ICPC and the Judiciary stems from Political Interference and lack of Political Will from the executive. You guys should stop trying to shift every blame to the Judiciary and legislature. We know this is more of a charade, SSS acted in the sting operation, police investigated and now ICPP prosecuting. Why didn't the police carry on with the prosecution since it investigated the case. Another attempt to bungle up the all thing. You aint fooling no one!

2 Likes

Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by idlaw2k3(m): 10:33am On Feb 01, 2013
Billyonaire: You need a little more education on Independence of the Judiciary and the organs of governments in a democracy. Oh, I forgot, illiteracy is synonymous with ignorance.

Before you try to justify the unjustifyable,
to defend the undefendable,
to try to make people believe the unbelieve-able, REMEMBER THAT YOUR CHILDREN'S FUTURE IS AT STAKE.
Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by Nobody: 10:35am On Feb 01, 2013
idlaw2k3:

Before you try to justify the unjustifyable,
to defend the undefendable,
to try to make people believe the unbelieve-able, REMEMBER THAT YOUR CHILDREN'S FUTURE IS AT STAKE.
My children's future is never at stake. I am master of my life and for each child that's born, there is a billion in trust on his/her name. I am not stupid, am not Nigerian for nothing.

1 Like

Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by DWJOBScom(m): 10:41am On Feb 01, 2013
take dat: Here comes another half-wit. Are you so quick to jump to the defence of your brother, meanwhile you are intellectually inept to comprehend what my post was all about. The biggest problem of fighting graft with EFCC and the Judiciary stems from Political Interference and lack of Political Will from the executive. You guys should stop trying to shift every blame to the Judiciary and legislature. We know this is more of a charade! You aint fooling no one!

i am so used to your type - very if i will ur word "inept" and blind in knowledge . i rather u sober up and learn!!!!! it will do u alot of good. You probably are with the failing opposition who knows nothing about governance save fancy speeches and all
Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by ElCaballa(m): 10:41am On Feb 01, 2013
vincent09: Pls does anyone know where I can buy garri online?

yes.there are bags of that garri you are looking for inside ur brain.You have been searching far when you carry around that garri with you everywhere you go.Ewu congo.
Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by tunde1200(m): 10:42am On Feb 01, 2013
Billyonaire: You need a little more education on Independence of the Judiciary and the organs of governments in a democracy. Oh, I forgot, illiteracy is synonymous with ignorance.

Let's make ourselves clear not insult many are gaining from your topics.
Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by ElCaballa(m): 10:43am On Feb 01, 2013
Re: Govt Files Charges Against Lawan, Emenalo Over Alleged Subsidy Bribery by ElCaballa(m): 10:48am On Feb 01, 2013

yes.why are you searching for where to buy garri when your brain is filled with bags of garri.Infact you are a manifestation of BREATHING GARRI.Ewu Congo.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador To Nigeria Punches Policeman In Abuja / Fashola Presents 2015 Budget. Speech And PICS.. / Things You Going To Miss About The Just Concluded Presidential Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.