Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,437 members, 7,801,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:59 AM

BB 10 will ground Blackberry - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / BB 10 will ground Blackberry (31818 Views)

HTC 10 Will Be The Most Powerful Smartphone Ever / Blackberry Prepares To Update BB 10.2 With Support For Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean / Breaking News: Blackberry 10 Will Be Running Android (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

BB 10 will ground Blackberry by chineduace(m): 11:41am On Feb 01, 2013
BlackBerry (BBRY) announced at yesterday’s launch that the new smartphones based on the BB10 platform will not support the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS).

It became apparent as Rory O'Neill, Vice President of Product & Channel Marketing at BlackBerry, was answering questions related to the BIS service on the BB10 phones and on BB 7 based smartphones.

O’Neill explained that the BB10 smartphones will not come bundled with BIS nor support it. The only service to run on BlackBerry’s infrastructure will be BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) and some enterprise related applications.

O’Neill said: “The R59 per month unlimited data for BlackBerry 7 is a proposition that we really believe in. We work very closely with our mobile network partners to keep that proposition in market.

“We’re continuing to innovate BlackBerry 7 and for the segment of the market where social messaging and that experience is really important, we will continue to have, and we will continue to build out new experiences both from a hardware and software perspective.”

So it is not all doom and gloom for African users of BlackBerry as BIS is likely to still be available for BlackBerry 7 based smartphones.

He added that they are in negotiations with mobile providers regarding how to structure BIS related to BlackBerry 7 based smartphones and he also acknowledged the popularity of BIS in South Africa, but does not believe the lack of BIS in BB10 smartphones will hurt their sales.

O’Neill said: “I don’t think it will hurt BlackBerry, to be honest, because I really think they are two different segments of the market and it’s important that we keep both segments served.”

Anecdotal evidence on social networks and various BlackBerry users suggests that the majority of those in Africa will start considering purchasing “cooler” smartphones like the Samsung Galaxy range and Apple’s iPhone because they would nonetheless have to pay for data charges.

http://www.humanipo.com/news/3634/Goodbye-BlackBerry-Internet-Service-African-market-could-look-elsewhere

With the new over priced and over hyped BB10, i hope BB lovers know that BIS is not supported on this new flagship from BB. Supsequently it will be migrated to older OS eventually. Nigeria holds the leading market in BB globally. My analysis is that if BIS goes away and since RIM is dead due to name change then BB will follow suit since Nigerians are addicted to data compression and almost unlimited data via BIS. Well i think it's time to move on.
Iphone still operates a closed system and Android is open to everything and everyone. So i guess it's Android all the way. Well this is just my opinion, you are entitled to yours.
Also check this link
www.mobility.com.ng/blackberry-10-data-consumption-you-cannot-eat-your-cake-have-it/

1 Like

Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by confusion247(m): 2:43pm On Feb 01, 2013
How do you mean BIS is not supported on BB 10 series?

1 Like

Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by chineduace(m): 4:33pm On Feb 01, 2013
BB10 will not be running BIS. That is no more monthly supscription of BIS.... Do you understand. All your data consumption would be like every other phone.
Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by amblors(m): 5:17pm On Feb 01, 2013
chineduace: BB10 will not be running BIS. That is no more monthly supscription of BIS.... Do you understand. All your data consumption would be like every other phone.

Av heard the rumour, what's ur source, drop a link.

1 Like

Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by aieromon(m): 5:23pm On Feb 01, 2013
Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by amblors(m): 5:28pm On Feb 01, 2013
Lol, the device is currently on sale in the UK, I just checked carphonewarehouse website and they have data plans ranging from 1GB to Unlimited data.
So if BIS is gone and there are vendors offering unlimited data, I'll jump on it. That's IF BIS is gone.

1 Like

Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by walcolm(m): 5:35pm On Feb 01, 2013
chineduace: With the new over priced and over hyped BB10, i hope BB lovers know that BIS is not supported on this new flagship from BB. Supsequently it will be migrated to older OS eventually. Nigeria holds the leading market in BB globally. My analysis is that if BIS goes away and since RIM is dead due to name change then BB will follow suit since Nigerians are addicted to data compression and almost unlimited data via BIS. Well i think it's time to move on.
Iphone still operates a closed system and Android is open to everything and everyone. So i guess it's Android all the way. Well this is just my opinion, you are entitled to yours.

very illogical and poorly articulated opinion sad

2 Likes

Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by jedisco(m): 6:04pm On Feb 01, 2013
walcolm:

very illogical and poorly articulated opinion sad

Hmm...
Is this the Walcolm I know?

This one mukina is viewing, I'm sure its gonna hit frontpage.

1 Like

Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by jedisco(m): 6:08pm On Feb 01, 2013
I said it. Every thread that guy/girl views must hit FP.
Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by Nobody: 6:08pm On Feb 01, 2013
I used to think my blackberry was everything until I picked up the HTC 4G EVO Android phone. Since then, my blackberry has been gathering dust grin.

Let's see how Nigerians will react to this development. The BIS service is what is making blackberry lag behind. Remove that and see development in the phone's technology. The world is fast advancing beyond BIS technology.

2 Likes

Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by okwutency(m): 6:08pm On Feb 01, 2013
Good for them o, as for me, i never use my Nokia finish.

3 Likes

Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by Nobody: 6:08pm On Feb 01, 2013
[size=28pt]Who still uses BB?

This is 2013? [/size]

18 Likes

Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by Nobody: 6:09pm On Feb 01, 2013
jedisco:

Hmm...
Is this the Walcolm I know?

This one mukina is viewing, I'm sure its gonna hit frontpage.

He he he he he. It's already done that grin
Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by Nobody: 6:10pm On Feb 01, 2013
Ileke-IdI:

This is 2013? [/size]

Nigerians in Nigeria cheesy

3 Likes

Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by sanchez4eva: 6:10pm On Feb 01, 2013
We are gathered here today to say goodbye to blackberry and RIM....R.I.P BB(No BIS,No Blackberry)

3 Likes

Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by mrkels(m): 6:10pm On Feb 01, 2013
Ileke-IdI:
Who still uses BB?

This is 2013?
If there are 100 mobile phone users in Africa as a whole, i bet you 65 of them would own a BB

Btw, this is bad new o...Are you sure? I didnt see this on their website and features of the phone.
OP...Which kind site you get this kind news from ?

Update: Just did a google search, seems true and super legit **SAD**
Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by jedisco(m): 6:11pm On Feb 01, 2013
Ileke-IdI:

This is 2013? [/size]

Over 50% of smartphone users in Nigeria.

Do you have a problem with that?

14 Likes

Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by mrkels(m): 6:13pm On Feb 01, 2013
jedisco:
Over 50% of smartphone users in Nigeria.
Do you have a problem with that?
More Like 93% **Smartphone** Users in nigeria ...

2 Likes

Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by Afam4eva(m): 6:13pm On Feb 01, 2013
The new blackberry is a giant leap by former RIM(now blackberry) but i think blackberry 10 is at least 1 year old. It should have come out a bit earlier.

1 Like

Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by jedisco(m): 6:13pm On Feb 01, 2013
pDude:

He he he he he. It's already done that grin

who exactly is this mukina and what is his/her relationship with seun?

5 Likes

Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by RedLight1: 6:14pm On Feb 01, 2013
Ileke-IdI:

This is 2013? [/size]
i do tongue tongue
Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by mrkels(m): 6:14pm On Feb 01, 2013
jedisco:

who exactly is this mukina and what is his/her relationship with seun?
Same person with a different Moniker cheesy
Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by funshybam(m): 6:15pm On Feb 01, 2013
i hope even former BB phones will get their BIS scrapped... at least... we go hear word...@ least, no monthly N1500 contribution
Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by Nobody: 6:15pm On Feb 01, 2013
Just look at the number of people looking into this thread. Den reach 1 million cheesy

Sent from blackberry from glo tongue

1 Like

Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by mj(m): 6:16pm On Feb 01, 2013
Goldstuck says what made BIS possible was that all data was compressed and flowed over BlackBerry’s own network. “But that meant poorer browsing performance than on any other smartphone. Now you enter this new data-intensive ecosystem and it’s not feasible to run it through the same security and compression.”

This means BB10 devices lend themselves to a data-bundle model where other brands play. However, Goldstuck says the text component of the revised BBM application will still run over the existing BIS architecture, meaning operators may sell a data bundle with BBM as a value-add at no cost.. grin
Let us keep watching and see what happen at the end, if BB 10 succeed RIMS will bounce back else Samsung or Microsoft will acquire RIM.
Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by Mystiqme: 6:16pm On Feb 01, 2013
Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by jedisco(m): 6:17pm On Feb 01, 2013
mrkels:
More Like 93% **Smartphone** Users in nigeria ...

Not really. The last figure I saw (which was late last year) says just over 50%. But that figure is growing very fast.
Don't forget that there are still quite a number of old symbian users and also the asha touch is becoming quite popular. (but i don't think those were included in last years figure)
Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by Nobody: 6:19pm On Feb 01, 2013
sanchez4eva: We are gathered here today to say goodbye to blackberry and RIM....R.I.P BB(No BIS,No Blackberry)
Full stop
Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by Nobody: 6:22pm On Feb 01, 2013
Nigerian networks should start selling cheaper smart phone bundles o! or else hmmm!

1 Like

Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by sundaybam(m): 6:23pm On Feb 01, 2013
Who cares, bis or no bis. I use bb for 7month and Am tired of the phone monthly salary Am currently using iphone 5 that's my new pet. I luv it than bb by far

1 Like

Re: BB 10 will ground Blackberry by Nobody: 6:23pm On Feb 01, 2013
pDude: Just look at the number of people looking into this thread. Den reach 1 million cheesy

Sent from blackberry from glo tongue
I no know sey Glo dey Yanks o!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

This Is Why You Should DELETE Facebook From Your Iphone Right NOW / Nigerians Spend N197bn Monthly On Internet Data / TECNO Launches PHANTOM X Flagship With Polished Design And Powerful Camera

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.