Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,707 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:47 PM

Your First Nations Cup - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Your First Nations Cup (6510 Views)

Asuquo Ekpe Is Dead (He Scored Nigeria's First Nations Cup Goal) / African Under 17 Nations Cup: Golden Eaglets trashed Gabon, qualifies. / European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your First Nations Cup by Nobody: 7:42pm On Feb 01, 2013
This is from veteran sports journalist, Mumini Alao's column.

Interesting memories there.
Re: Your First Nations Cup by Nobody: 7:42pm On Feb 01, 2013
MUMINI ALAO

I HAVE VERY FOND MEMORIES of my first Africa Cup of Nations, the one hosted and won by Nigeria in 1980.

I call it my ‘first’ Cup of Nations because it was the first time I would follow the proceedings of the competition from start to finish and, even as I write this, I can recollect several episodes quite vividly.

I was a final year student at Iganmode Grammar School, Ota, Ogun State. It was March, 1980, just about three months to my West African School Certificate (WASC) exams.

Iganmode Grammar School is actually a walking distance from the present day Obasanjo Farms in Ota where the Super Eagles have used as training camp in recent years. When I was in school, though, Obasanjo Farms had not been established there, so I didn’t have the privilege of sneaking out to watch the national team train as I imagine the present boys in the school would have been doing.

I was in the boarding house, so I didn’t have the chance of watching any of the games live at either of the two centres in Lagos and Ibadan. Of course, some of my bolder and bigger classmates sneaked out to watch the Eagles play in Lagos, but I was always an obedient, law-abiding school boy!

Unfortunately, the boarding house television set had broken down, or so we were told because I had never set my eyes on it anyway, since I was admitted into “IGS” in 1975. We just learnt that the school had one big TV set which was bad and had been locked up in the school store adjacent to the Library in the “Senior Block”
accommodating classes four and five. So, it was the housemaster Mr. John Amoah’s 14inch black and white television set that came to the rescue of about 200 soccer-crazy boarding school boys at Iganmode Grammar School in 1980.

Mr. Amoah was actually my favourite teacher. He taught my class in my best two subjects, English Language and English Literature. In fact, Mr. Amoah was instrumental in my becoming a journalist, as he told me back then that I had a talent for writing and encouraged me in a lot of ways. See why I said I have a load of sweet, everlasting memories about the 1980 Nations Cup?

Now, Mr. Amoah was a Ghanaian and, in football terms, that meant a lot to the Nigerian soccer fan, even back then. Ghana had won the previous Nations Cup at home in 1978 and had come to Nigeria as defending champions. They were grouped with Morocco, Guinea and Algeria in what was considered the zone of death in Ibadan. And I remember as if it was yesterday that the wish of every boy in Iganmode was that Ghana should “die” in the zone by failing to qualify.

We regarded Ghana as the biggest stumbling block to an expected Eagles victory and didn’t want to see their faces in Lagos at all. And so it turned out as Morocco and Algeria shut out the Black Stars in Ibadan. But I shall come to that later.

Back in Lagos and the opening day of the 12th Africa Cup of Nations on March 3, 1980. The Eagles were up against the Taifa Stars of Tazania and Mr. Amoah had to bring out his small TV set on the hostel assembly ground. Two hundred of us crowded around the tiny box. And, for every goal the Eagles scored, we would yell and scatter in different directions to celebrate, then converge back on the tiny box to watch and gesticulate at every movement as the game continued.

The Eagles won that opening match 3-1, struggled to a goalless draw with a stubborn Ivorien side in their second game, then beat Egypt with an Okey Isima goal in their last group match. Nigeria qualified for the semi-final as group leaders and beat Morocco 1-0 in clearly their toughest match of the tournament.

Morocco, meanwhile, had done our wish by eliminating Ghana. In their group’s opening game played under floodlights in Ibadan, the Moroccans defeated Ghana 1-0 in a high-tempo match and the Ghanaians never recovered from that setback.

I remember the match quite well because, on this occasion, Mr. Amoah had not brought out his TV as it was dark and all students ought to be in bed. But fanatics like me couldn’t sleep and we sneaked to Mr. Amoah’s window to peep in at the match. The player I remember most on the Ghana side was the cap-wearing goalkeeper Joseph Carr.

The housemaster was angry that Ibadan fans were cheering Morocco and booing Ghana. “Why, why why are they supporting the North Africans,” Mr. Amoah was moaning to no one in particular. “Nigerians should be supporting us as their black West African brothers,” he complained and I still remember how he pronounced the word “brothers” in that peculiar Ghanaian way: “Brathers!” But for us young, mischievous fanatics at the window, Mr. Amoah’s moans were sweet music to our ears. Ghana’s pain was our joy.

Indeed, the Nigeria-Ghana rivalry runs long and deep as I recollect that my Dad once told me that the Ghanaians were so good in the 1960s that they used to beat Nigeria by comprehensive scorelines like 5-0 in Accra and 7-0 in Lagos! Maybe the scores were exaggerated, but it was like Ghana had been our nemesis for long and they were to be hated with a passion!

Back to 1980, March 22 to be precise, Nigeria played Algeria in the final of the 12th Africa Cup of Nations and Mr. Amoah, having recovered from Ghana’s exit, brought out his 14inch TV set again. It was probably the Eagles’ easiest game as they completely overwhelmed the Algerians. Three times Nigeria scored, and three times 200 of us Iganmode spectators scattered in different directions to celebrate.

The heroes of Nigeria’s triumph, of course, were “Mathematical” Segun Odegbami whose footworks brought applause from us each time he “shuffled those long legs to confuse his opponents; “Chief Justice” Adokiye Amiesimaka who would never tuck in his jersey into his shorts and Felix Owolabi who drew a spontaneous “Owoblow” from the crowd each time he touched the ball.

It’s 25 years now that all these happened but I can still remember everything as if it was yesterday.

I have been lucky. In those 25 years, I have gone on to fulfil Mr. Amoah’s prediction and become a journalist; I have come into personal contact with nearly all of those heroes of 1980, interviewing them, writing about them and even working with them.

The great Segun Odegbami is my director at Complete Sports and we sit at the same table, can you imagine? I have had breakfast with “Owoblow” in his house in Ibadan, and I have been guest of Adokiye Amiesimaka in Port Harcourt. In fact, I went on the Port Harcourt trip with Segun Odegbami and as I sat there, the two great wing wizards, Segun on the right and Adokiye on the left, recalled some of their great moments together.

I looked at myself, sitting between two great players, two African champions who terrorised defences across the continent, two superstars who orchestrated the first remarkable moments in Nigerian football history.

It’s not everybody who gets to meet their boyhood heroes face-to-face, much less relate with them so closely.
These are things money cannot buy. Surely, I’ve been lucky and I know it. Thank God.

Addendum: My first Nations Cup coverage as a journalist was at Senegal ‘92 and Ghanaians, again, played a prominent part in my recollections. As we rode on the media bus from the hotel to the semi-final match between Nigeria and Ghana at the Stade L’ Amitie in Dakar, a loudmouth Ghanaian colleague (I can’t recall his name now, so I’ll call him “Kofi”) started running an imaginary commentary on the match yet to be played and concluded as we arrived in the stadium by saying: “Final score: Nigeria 1, Ghana 2.”

The Nigerian press corps simply ignored him, determined to let our Eagles do the talking for us by winning on the field of play. Unfortunately for us, Ghana won the match 2-1 as “Kofi” had predicted and you need to hear his boasts on the bus ride back to the hotel. The eyes of the Nigerian guys, including yours truly, were red. But we still had the last laugh because, whereas Nigeria defeated another arch rival Cameroun in the third place match to grab the bronze medal, “Kofi” and Ghana surprisingly crashed to Cote d’ Ivoire in a marathon penalty shoot-out in the final.

*This article was first published in March 2005. It has now become a ritual for me to re-run it in Soccertalk before every Nations Cup finals.

Do you have any fond memories of your own “First Nations Cup?” Write to me at soccertalk@completesportsnigeria.com or text a summarized version of your story to 08179545076. The best articles will be published next week, insha Allah.

4 Likes

Re: Your First Nations Cup by Nobody: 7:43pm On Feb 01, 2013
Anonymous said...
My first Nations Cup experience was "Mali 2002"......I remember the
incidences vividly that led to my attending the 3rd place and finals....

I worked with a Telecommunications Company then and were also sponsoring
the ACN (not the Nigerian Party oo) then. So, I suggested to the Management
that it only makes sense to sponsor some staff for the events since we were
sponsoring and this was approved. I was nominated (at least the Bible says
a labourer is worhty of his wages, nau abi) amongst others but some members
of the Marketing & Sponsorship dept kicked against my nomination and then
recommended that all staff should go through a knowledge quiz....Yours
truly, I also won (one of the 3 successful staff) and then I was called
into a meeting that they might not allow me go (just because I had won a
competition earlier in the year (can you imagine - they wanted to kill my
star, but God no gree them)....We landed Mali on the long run for the
competition (this trip formed the basis of the current practice where staff
of the Company are sponsored to the Nations Cup and world cup that held in
2010)

My real experience was actually at Mali.... they eat so much rice and
chicken ( I was afraid of contacting chicken pox from too much of
it....just joking oo) and then to my ammazement and "Surprisation" (ala
Chief Zebrudaya), there were no generating sets (generators) in the 2
hotels we lodged as well as the business centre i went to send an email to
Nigeria.....Small Mali? Nigeria, my beloved country is strewn with
Generators all over... I wept for Nigeria because of that incidence
alone......that has left an indelible mark and impression on me........and
that my Nations cup experience brought me into contact with Jaiye Aboderin
of blessed memory.. May his soul continue to rest in piece....

That is my First Nations Cup and I hope i can build on that too by going to
watch this year's edition in South Africa.....

keep up the good works sir......

Joshua Bamigboye
From Ikoyi, Lago

2 Likes

Re: Your First Nations Cup by Nobody: 7:44pm On Feb 01, 2013
MEMORIES OF MY FIRST NATIONS CUP
Truly reading Mumini Alao's refreshing article on memories of my first
nation's cup is very stimulating and tends to bring back emotions and
passion. But again, I do not see any similarity in the first nation's
cup of 1980 that Nigeria won and the one we are about to witness in
South Africa in a matter of days from today. Why? Before the 1980
nations 'cup, Nigeria could see the potential winners in our team. We
had the likes of Segun 'Mathematical'Odegbami, magnificent midfield
maestro, Mudashiru Lawal of blessed memory; skipper Christian Chukwu,
Chief justice Adokie and a host of very promising stars listed for the
tournament. The present team does not have such names and like, and
cannot be said to give hopes.

I went to the stadium on the day of our first match in 1980 to see our
stars and with the conviction that Nigeria will not only win the first
match, but will go ahead to win the cup on home soil. And this came to
pass. But today, our players are struggling, and we are no longer the
giant of Africa - we tend to have lost the pride of a Super Eagles of
old. Our expectations have been varied - some expecting that Nigeria
should earn for a place in the semis; others say we should be lucky to
survive the preliminary stage. What an irony!

The hysteria in expecting the release of the 23 players that will done
the green and white jersey of our national pride is no longer there. I
have personally looked at the list of players paraded by Keshi and have
concluded that they are just ordinary players. That in effect means
that we should prime our expectations from the team in a modest way. I
am not expecting Nigeria to win the nations cup. That does not mean
that I am not patriotic - far from it. But realistically speaking, you
do not give what you don't have. We do not have the quality of stars
and players that can conveniently assure you of victory. When it has
become the norm for Nigeria to struggle to qualify for a nation's cup
amidst minors, expecting outright victory would be a daunting task.

Shame! We seem to have lost touch with development of the game. Our
infrastructures are decaying; our administrators are out-fashioned; our
government has lost focus and our people slumbered. We need a
generational change now.

My fear, fellow Nigerians! Yobo, to captain of our national team! You
need a man with God's trust to lead: Does Yobo pretend to have that?
Can't we entrust our captainship luck in another player? Good luck
Eagles.

Lawrence Nwaru
From Ojodu, Lagos
Re: Your First Nations Cup by Nobody: 7:45pm On Feb 01, 2013
My first nations cup was in 1980 but so young to remember all games except the final
episode against the Fennecs or Desert Warriors of Algeria in National Stadium Lagos.
Though I watched it through a 12' black and white TV set. What do you expect from a
primary three pupil. Meanwhile, I can't forget Maroc '88 easily when the African
best like Roger Milla, Robar Madja, Rasidi Yekeen, Makanaki, Ademola Adesina, Peter Rufai was in the field of play. The best match of the competition to me was the semi final between Nigeria and Morroco that went into the penalty shoot out after the game ended one all.

It just flashed back to me now how Dodo Mayana caught the Morrocans penalty to give Eagles the victory. Maroc '88 my real first Nations cup experience.

Gbenga

1 Like

Re: Your First Nations Cup by Nobody: 7:45pm On Feb 01, 2013
RE-MY FIRST NATION CUP

Having read, appreciated and digested the fond memories of my not too close friend, my School mate at Anwar –UL- Islam College Agege (A year Senior at HSC Class), my fellow Ago dwellers, my Muslim brother and above all the eloquent and down to hearth honest Alhaji Mumini Alao on January 9th 2013 of complete sport edition. I look back with nostalgia my first cup of Nations.

My first cup of nations was apparently the 1980 Nations cup hosted and won by Nigeria but my own experience was different from that of my friend Mumini. In actual fact, mine was with mixed feeling. I completed my secondary education in 1979 in Zumratul-Islamiyyah Grammer School Yaba, Lagos (the very last set in Yaba before relocating to their present site Igbogbo). In essence in 1980, when the Nations cup was hosted I was so free, as I had the whole time in my kitty. As a result of this, I was in the stadium live and witnessed all the pre-match action vis-à-vis all the matches played in Lagos.

In the opening game of 3rd of March 1980 between the Eagles and Talfa stars of Tanzania, as said ealier, it was a mixed feeling. Many football faithful who were late to the stadium, in their efforts to get seated were thrown round like stones and at the end of the day seriously injured some with brushes and cuts. The match was one of the easiest for us in the competition and ended 3-1, in favour of the Eagles. The end of the match witnessed a more serious disaster as the stadium management wittingly or unwittingly switched of the light, and in a bid to find their way out of the stadium there were lots of casualties. While some fans lost their lives, others were seriously injured as a result of the scramble for escape. I was lucky to have left the stadium 10-minutes to the full time, since it was a case of ‘Victoria asserter’ (Victory is certain).

In the second match with Ivory Coast, there was a little improvement in the way fans behaves. The stadium was also jam-parked and this time around, the fans throwing late-comers about turned to fun. At the end of the game that ended goalless. Stadium management were more careful this time around and the light were not switched-off until, the last persons(s) left the stadium. However, I want to disagree with my friend Mumini that the Nigeria, Morocco match was the toughest. I believe strongly that Nigeria, Ivory Coast match was the toughest, more technical and energy sapping. (this is a personal opinion). Yes the Eagles crushed the Egyptians in their last group match and rounded up Morocco in the semi final stage. Wasn’t that great?

The final match between Nigeria and Algerian was an easy ride, as the mathematical Odegbami scored two out of the 3 goals in a 3-1 encounter. I recalled with relish, the action of the third goals scored by Odegbami at the net opposite where I sat. it was not a “television” goal but only a very intelligent player of the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta etc. could display such a rare skill, i.e. scoring with what was known during our days as a sliding tackle. Remember Mumini, the types we had in our school field-Anwar-UL-Islam, College Oniwaya, Agege.

God bless you Mumini Compliments of the season.

Lawal-Akapo, Agboola Adio
From Ijora Olopa, Lagos.
Re: Your First Nations Cup by Nobody: 7:46pm On Feb 01, 2013
I was a lower six student of Baptist Academy, Yaba during the 1976 Nations Cup, Ethiopia (Dire Dawa ’76).

I remember vividly the arrogance of the defending champions from 1974, Zaire who had also represented Africa at World Cup (Germany 74) as the Leopards refused to share the same hotel with the other teams in their group (including Nigeria’s Green Eagles) in Dire Dawa!
The Zaireans were humiliated 4-2by an emerging African force the Eagles would turn out to be.

Haruna Ilerika, Muda Lawal, Kunle Awesu and Baba Otu Mohammed (the latter duo were chosen best left and right Winger respectively at the end of the competition) stood out in the Nigerian team.

Dribbling wizard, Haruna, Ilerika a fore runner of present-day Lionel Messi both in physique and playing style was the Ethiopian fans favourite: goal keeper Joe Erico, years later confirmed the story of an Ethiopian lady who came to the Eagles hotel, crying to meet “No 9” (Ilerika’s jersey number). The foreign coach (I forget his name now) permitted Ilerika to go out with the Ethiopian beauty for a lunch!

The Eagles won bronze at the end having been robbed in the crucial match against the legendary Ahmed Faras Morocco.

You mentioned in your article how Ghana was CURSED out of the 1980 Nations Cup. Let me shed some light on this occurrence.

In 1980, I was already at the University of Ife and put my books aside, to shuttle between Lagos and Ibadan to watch ALL the matches (except the second semi-final match between Algeria and Egypt in Ibadan which took place simultaneously with the Green Eagles match with Morocco in Lagos)!.

At the Ibadan centre, Ghana’s Black stars were JINXED out of the competition in retaliation for what the Green Eagles had experienced in 1978 when Ghana hosted the competition!

In Accra, Nigeria played an impressive 1-1 draw with Ghana in the group match as the graceful Segun Odegbami belittled the legendary Ghanaian goal keeper Joseph Carr with an audacious header.

With this result and performance in mind, when Nigeria confronted the Ugandan Cranes in the semi-final, the Ghanaians knew that the Eagles must be stopped from reaching the final against the Black Stars.

Therefore, every support was given to the East African surprise packet and the Eagles duly fell partly to the exhuberance of Adokie Amiesimaka. That experience, two years earlier, was the foundation of the 1980 Ibadan incident.

Interestingly, like you, I would later meet many of the great stars of the Nations Cup history including the francophone heroes as I worked as a sports journalist and indeed spent some years at Sports Souvenir (now Complete Sports) in the mid 80’s.

TUNDE GAMBLA OGUNNOIKI
Re: Your First Nations Cup by Nobody: 7:47pm On Feb 01, 2013
My first nations cup was actually the 14th
edition of the championship in Ivory Coast in 1984 where Theophilus Abega now
late led the likes of Thomas Nkono, Roger Milla and so many high profile Cameroonian
stars to thrash the Super Eagles that was captained by the current Super Eagles
coach Stephen Keshi, Henry Nwosu, Tarila Okorowanta, Humphrer Edobor, Peter Rufai,
Patrick Okala (who was in goal in that final match), Muda Lawal, Rasheed Yekini
(the last three players are all late now)

It was the first nation cup that an indigenous coach in the
name of Adegboye Onigbide will lead us to the final place (just hope Stephen
Keshi will go further this time around by winning the trophy). Though Nigeria
lost the match by 3 goals to one, having taken the lead through Mudashiru Lawal

Nigeria playing in a group that has the likes of defending
champion, Ghana, Algeria and Malawi qualified after edging out Ghana who cried
foul that there was an accord game between Nigeria and Algeria. The scenario
before the last match between Nigeria and Algeria was that both Nigeria and
Algeria just needed a draw to qualify while Ghana who has lost their first
match to Nigeria by 2 goals to 1 pray for either of them to stumbled.

At the end both side played a drab game, and I could remember
my brother saying then that “which kind game be dis?” in which I told him that,
neither of the two teams need the game

Nigeria went on to defeat Egypt in a very tension semi-final
game, via penalty shoot-out. Peter Rufai was the hero of the match, I could
still remember, even though I was just an eleven year old boy then. Why Rufai
was benched for Okala for the final match generated a lot of debate after the
defeat by the Indomitable Lions of Cameroun

Ajibade Alabi
Re: Your First Nations Cup by Nobody: 7:48pm On Feb 01, 2013
Dear Mumini, Choice Season's Greetings. Your Nations Cup reminiscence conjures up a mixed feeling in me. The demoralising results posted by the then Green Eagles in the 60s ( 5-0 & 7-0 white-wash of Nigeria by Ghana ) discouraged me from following the Nations Cup until 1976 when Eagles came back from Dire Dawa, Ethiopia with 'golden' Bronze & the Newspapers were awashed with praises for a left- footed lad called Harunah Ilerika (RIP). Ever since, I have become an ardent follower of Nigerian Soccer, though I played the game to Secondary School level - Govt College (BAREWA), Zaria with pictures of me in college jersey no. 6 of old holding trophies which I still proudly display in an album. But your article succinctly covered the 1980 Nations Cup up to date & I don't have any other better thing to add. Well done. However, the Eagles v Cape Verde match on Wednesday sort of indicated that "by spiting the face, Coach Keshi has cut off the nose". In as much as I accept the wish & choice of the Coach, Keshi might have unwittingly reduced his fire power by 2 potent strikers! Say, how many goals have the likes of Uzoenyi & Mba scored internationally in comparison to the intimidating presence & goalscoring ability of Odemniwingie & Dike? A Commander goes to war with the best of his soldiers. AFCON is not a training ground for rookies, not even as a reward for loyalty in the qualifiers. I hope the final of AFCON 2013 proves me wrong about Keshi's naivety for the home based lads. A match is won on goals. Musa & Moses are basically midfielders leaving average strikers in Emenike, Ike Uche & Ideye to labour hard for goals as shown in the high no. of drawn games played by the Eagles since last year. It is only by scoring goals the Super Eagles can win AFCON 2013. Best of Luck.

Dele Kola, Omole - Ikeja.
Re: Your First Nations Cup by Nobody: 7:48pm On Feb 01, 2013
My First Nations Cup.It was the same edition like yours 1980.Having arrived Lagos from my village Amaeke Abam in then Imo State late january before the hostality started in march 80.I was living at Amukoko and walking to National Stadium Surulere is very easy being a raw village boy after going by molue through ijora badia the first day.On the final day between Nigeria and Algeria I was at the stadium before 10am for a match that will kick off by 4pm.By 12noon.It was annouced that there no more space in the staduim either for standig or sitting.My popular side ticktet of three naira (#3.OO) not withstanding.I took a risk by following other football fanatic fans by climbing the floodlight pole and found myself at covered stand.People were being thrown from the top behind until wherever,Even military men in uniform suffered the same fate of hurling.My man of the match was Muda Lawal.

Frm,UBA IGWE@Badagry.
Re: Your First Nations Cup by Nobody: 7:49pm On Feb 01, 2013
My First Nation Cup memory was AIgeria 90,I remember that Nigeria were beaten 5 goals to 1 by host nation in the opening match.Oga Muminu I cried bitterly that night,but I was happy when I see my darling Green Eagle in the final, though they lost by a lone goal to the same Algeria.BUT I WAS VERY PROUD OF THEM.
Re: Your First Nations Cup by Nobody: 7:50pm On Feb 01, 2013
Mr Mumini.your column today "SWEET ME" My ANC Account was MAROC 88..Nig vs Algeria game comes to mind in which Bright Omokaro 10--10 reduced her opponent to 10 men after Ademola Adesina was red-carded earlier for an offence he did not commit.. Nig had greats like Edoboh, Nwosu,Okosieme,Okwaraji,Sofoluwe,Keshi,Rufai,Eboigbe, Etal.. Peter Rufai is my boyhood hero whom I see week in week out way bark in Sharks fc of PH, then.. Mumini you go write soccer enter old age..Amen Somebody

From Falomo Idowu,.
Karis School Magodo Lagos
Re: Your First Nations Cup by Nobody: 7:51pm On Feb 01, 2013
My first nation's cup experience was Ghana/Nigeria 2000. Though we are not champion but we have a team of champion and that team makes me believe how champion and super our eagles was once were even as a JSS 2 student then. It was a memorable experience.

Abdullahi 4rm Sagamu
Re: Your First Nations Cup by Nobody: 7:52pm On Feb 01, 2013
MY FIRST NATIONS CUP MEMORY WAS THAT 1980. I STILL REMEMBER ITWAS FEW MONTH INTO PRESIDENT SAGARI'S TENURE. I REMEMBER THE PRESIDENT WITH A WOODEN MATERIAL THAT MAKES NOISE WHEN D PRESIDENT WAVES IT.THAT WAS OUR OWN VUVUSELA. THEN I WAS DOING MY A LEVEL AT OGUN POLY.

DR. KAYODE FALOLA,
OSHODI

1 Like

Re: Your First Nations Cup by Nobody: 7:52pm On Feb 01, 2013
Infact my first nation cup was 1988 when Mr Bassey brought me to lagos, i didn't know replay on tv so each time they replayed goal i counted as another one and argued it the following day with my friend ismaila who always called me a bush boy then.

From Uwem

1 Like

Re: Your First Nations Cup by Nobody: 7:57pm On Feb 01, 2013
Re: Your First Nations Cup by Nobody: 8:02pm On Feb 01, 2013
It appears to me Nations cup of those years (70's to early 90's) used to be more interesting?

Could the popularization of EPL, La Liga, UCL be responsible for the low interest these days? Or the poor performance of our national team?

Meanwhile, from what I'm reading from those who saw these guys play, I'm beginning to think I underrate Nigeria's players of the 70's and 80's comapred to those of teh current (and immediate past) generation.

When I first read about Haruna Ileriak's skills, I dismissed it as just some old school raw players, but with more and more validation from those who watched these guys, I'm beginning to think they were better than I held of them.

Was Haruna Ilerika truly as skilful as JJ as our grandpas hold?

Was Segun Odegbami that great too in the wings?
Re: Your First Nations Cup by Nobody: 8:17pm On Feb 01, 2013
Back to the question, I can't say which exactly was my own first nation's cup, but it was not until 2000 that I took serious interest in ANC. However, far back Algeria 1990, I have been a little conscious of Nations' cup.

I may not be able to recall exactly the events but I recall faintly most of teh big matches. I knew that Cameroon was usually our nemesis. I knew our elders hated Cameroun. I used to think Cameroonians were oyinbos while we Nigerians were blacks, so I used to tell my immediate younger sister (who is lighter in complexion) that she was oyinbo and should support Cameroun, not Nigeria. That should be late eighties to early nineties. That was how long the rivalry traveled. Even us small kids of less than 10 knew Cameroon/Nigeria were rivals.

Of course, I remember USA 94 and I still recall our match versus Italy very well. I wasnt watching it; I was playing football on teh street when suddenly we heard a loud noise - goooaaaaaaaaaaalllllllll. Nigeria had scored. We all dispersed from the field and ran to the nearest house with TV and joined the watchers. Unfortunately, the hysteria didnt last long as two goals from the Azurris later sank Nigeria. I remember faintly our matches against Greece, Bulgaria and Argentina before then. I remember that moment in class (primary six) when Olu, our classmate, was telling us that our next match was against Italy - which I thought was Egypt (that was my first time of hearing Italy pronounced 'itly', not 'i-ta-li' as I used to think the pronunciation was, that was why I thought he said Egypt. I also remember how our class teacher, Ghanaian Mr Samuel reported the news of Nigeria's exit from world cup in our current affairs class the next Monday. I think that was teh first time I saw and heard teh word 'oust'. That was the word used in class.
Re: Your First Nations Cup by obi4eze(m): 8:24pm On Feb 01, 2013
The first Nations Cup I can remember watching was Senegal '92. Then I began to pick interest and watched Tunisia '94. I can remember the then Head of State, Late General Sani Abacha speaking with the players and coach via phone.

Of course, I remember Atlanta '96. I did not watch South Africa '96. My interest for football continued to increase up till 2002 and after that, I stopped watching football. I was consciously avoiding watching football matches but I was also trying to build myself to the point that if my favorite loses a football match, I would not be affected in a negative way. After all, isn't football a form of entertainment? Thank God that today, I watch matches as a neutral.

More often than not, I look at the technical aspect of football. I examine the tactics involved in a football match and what could be done to ensure victory by both teams playing a match. I may prefer a side to the other for some reasons but I'm not a die-hard fan. After all, I don't stand to gain much apart from the enhancement it gives to the brain and the pleasure of being entertained. But I stand to lose much if I allow it trouble me like others do, especially when entertainment turns to embarrassment. grin (Hope I didn't derail)
Re: Your First Nations Cup by Nobody: 8:24pm On Feb 01, 2013
Of course I watched every match in Atlanta 96, except against the one we lost against, was it Brazil or Japan(Group stage)? Needless to talk on Atlanta 96.

I was already in my teens and conscious enough to know the CAF vs Abacha wahala of 96 and 98 that meant Nigeria didnt appear in 96 and 98 nations cups. I didnt watch, but I knew my JSS classmates that watched used to shout names like McCarthy, Masinga, Fish etc.

It was in 2000 that I fully came of age for Nations cup and watched every match. Since then till today, I have never missed live broadcast of any Nigeria's game at Nation's cup. I remember vividly our SF clash with South Africa in 2000 and how noth copuntries made mouth before the game; and how Eagles sank them easily, courtesy Tijani Babangida goals. I just left school from extra mural class that evening and was rushing home for teh match when I suddenly heard loud noise - Eagles had scored early goal.
Re: Your First Nations Cup by Nobody: 8:40pm On Feb 01, 2013
My first Nations' Cup was the Ghana/Nigeria 2000 edition. That was the first one that I watched from start to finish; I was 11 years old then.
I recall that the tourney started on a Saturday with the Black Stars of Ghana and the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon playing out a 1-1 draw. I only watched the last 35 minutes of that opening match because PHCN (then NEPA) took the light undecided.

Thereafter, the following day being Sunday, I watched the entirety of Nigeria's match against the Carthage Eagles of Tunisia. Nigeria led 1-0 at halftime, Jay jay Okocha being the scorer with a fierce shot just outside the 18yard box. The 2nd half brought even more excitement with the Super Eagles notching 3 other goals, while the Tunisians scored 2 goals. That game was one of the best attacking displays by the Super Eagles in a Nations'/World Cup match.
The next match against Congo was the exact opposite of the previous match. I recall the Congo match was played on a Friday. The SE could not breakdown a resolute Congolese side, who had opted for almost total defense in the match.
Nevertheless, Nigeria's last group game against Morocco was a truly exciting one. After Finidi had opened the scoring with a bullet shot in the first half, then 20 year old Julius Aghahowa announced his presence at senior level with a well-taken second goal within the last 10 minutes of the match. That Aghahowa goal came about from a long punt from Taribo West; Nigeria won the match 2-0. I was actually surprised by the result of that game because Morocco had the ever dangerous Moustapha Hadji, who won the African Player Of The Year award in 1998.

Nigeria's quarterfinal victory over the Teranga Lions of Senegal turned my neighbourhood into raptures. The Senegalese had earlier taken a 1st half lead, and it wasn't until the 85th minute of the match that Nigeria got an equalizer through Aghahowa; to take the game to extra time. Then in the 1st half of extra time, Nigeria scored another goal through...you guessed it right-Julius Aghahowa. That goal precipitated a pitch invasion by the fans at the National Stadium, Lagos. I too, I shouted so loud when that ball hit the back of the net. grin

The Super Eagles went on to defeat South Africa in the semis, and would face Cameroon in the final. The final was played on a Sunday, with the anticipation amongst fans very high. I recall coming back home from Church about 2 hours before kickoff, switching on the TV and seeing the stadium almost filled up. Anyway, in the end Naija lost the match.
Re: Your First Nations Cup by tbaba1234: 8:15am On Feb 02, 2013
Senegal 92.

Still a kid but I remember keshi scoring a cracker against the hosts. I remember weeping when we lost to ghana. N having to endure the longest penalty shoot-out in the final.

I rooted for CIV then, partly because Ghana beat us. We were the favorites for the trophy. I had my favorite CIV players, many of them played in Tunisia in 94.
Re: Your First Nations Cup by Nobody: 11:50am On Feb 02, 2013
Jarus: Back to the question, I can't say which exactly was my own first nation's cup, but it was not until 2000 that I took serious interest in ANC. However, far back Algeria 1990, I have been a little conscious of Nations' cup.

I may not be able to recall exactly the events but I recall faintly most of teh big matches. I knew that Cameroon was usually our nemesis. I knew our elders hated Cameroun. I used to think Cameroonians were oyinbos while we Nigerians were blacks, so I used to tell my immediate younger sister (who is lighter in complexion) that she was oyinbo and should support Cameroun, not Nigeria. That should be late eighties to early nineties. That was how long the rivalry traveled. Even us small kids of less than 10 knew Cameroon/Nigeria were rivals.

Of course, I remember USA 94 and I still recall our match versus Italy very well. I wasnt watching it; I was playing football on teh street when suddenly we heard a loud noise - goooaaaaaaaaaaalllllllll. Nigeria had scored. We all dispersed from the field and ran to the nearest house with TV and joined the watchers. Unfortunately, the hysteria didnt last long as two goals from the Azurris later sank Nigeria. I remember faintly our matches against Greece, Bulgaria and Argentina before then. I remember that moment in class (primary six) when Olu, our classmate, was telling us that our next match was against Italy - which I thought was Egypt (that was my first time of hearing Italy pronounced 'itly', not 'i-ta-li' as I used to think the pronunciation was, that was why I thought he said Egypt. I also remember how our class teacher, Ghanaian Mr Samuel reported the news of Nigeria's exit from world cup in our current affairs class the next Monday. I think that was teh first time I saw and heard teh word 'oust'. That was the word used in class.

lmao @ oyinbo
Re: Your First Nations Cup by mascot87(m): 5:37pm On Feb 04, 2013
And u expect me to read all that? U are clueless & a retardeen. Mtwwww,GEJ see what u have caused? angry

1 Like

Re: Your First Nations Cup by Nobody: 5:42pm On Feb 04, 2013
diz post juz 2long...bt dnt worry wld save da page angrydiz post 2long...dnt worry wld save da page
Re: Your First Nations Cup by Nobody: 5:43pm On Feb 04, 2013
diz post 2long...dnt worry wld save da page angrydiz post 2long...dnt worry wld save da page
Re: Your First Nations Cup by omoodeogere(m): 5:45pm On Feb 04, 2013
STORRY TEELER
Re: Your First Nations Cup by stagger: 5:46pm On Feb 04, 2013
My first nations cup was in 1984. I remember the semi-final between Nigeria and Egypt. Egypt surged to a 2 goal lead in the first half and just as the half was ending, Nigeria was awarded a penalty. Stephen Keshi (yes, the same Stephen Keshi who is now SE coach) stepped up to take it. He sent it to the keeper's left. The keeper dived full length and made a slight contact with it, forcing it to the post. However, the rebound fell straight back to Keshi who fired it in the roof of the net. Egypt protested the goal saying that the rebound had put Keshi in an offside position but the goal stood.

Nigeria equalised in the second half (can't recall the scorer now), and the match went to penalties where Peter Rufai as he did on many occasions (Maroc '88 semi-final with Algeria and Tunisia '94 against Cote D'Ivoire in the semis again) pulled off a heroic save and Nigeria went through 5-4 on penalties.

Then we got to the final to play the star-studded Camerounians, filled with the younger versions of the stars of Italia '90 World Cup: Roger Milla, the man mountain defender Emmanuel Kunde, Eugene Ekeke, Ernest Ebongue, Mfede Paul, Emile Mbouh, etc. These guys were mostly members of the dreaded Canon Sportif, arguably the best team in Africa at the time.

Surprise! Muda Lawal scored in the 10th minute and we thought Nigeria would make it. Then Ernest Ebongue wreaked havoc, scoring twice in a 3-1 victory. That was the first of three losses in the final to Cameroun, the other two coming in 1988 and 2000.

Well, there you have my first Nation's Cup.
Re: Your First Nations Cup by Ejine(m): 6:00pm On Feb 04, 2013
Nigeria and Zambia play ball, Nigeria win
Okocha jump up and Ten naira fall down
Zambia take am, go buy groundnut
Nigeria hear am, sack am for work!

Tunisia 94, baby!
Re: Your First Nations Cup by Afam4eva(m): 6:08pm On Feb 04, 2013
My first nations cup was Tunisa 94 but i really didn't follow it. The one i really follwed was the one in is it Mali or Burkina Faso that the stadiums were like a grazing land for cattles.
Re: Your First Nations Cup by IyfeNamikaze(m): 6:18pm On Feb 04, 2013
i wonder how this made it to front page angry
Just because una manage win cote d' vore,person no go hear word again. Smh.. Imagine ''why do goalkeeper spit on their glooves'' made it to front page.. But me don dey post better thread that can enlighten and inspire nairalanders but it never made it to even backyard page.
I'm soo tempted to say ''thunder fire all this mods'',but i will refrain from writing such.
Re: Your First Nations Cup by Syenite(m): 6:21pm On Feb 04, 2013
My first Nations Cup experience was Maroc '88. I was a primary 4 pupil of Sari Iganmu Primary School, Lagos. I was admitted in Lagos University Teaching hospital (LUTH),haven undergoing an eye surgery.

The Green Eagles of Nigeria were to play a highly fancied Kenyan side who just won the all African games football Gold medal a year before.The only TV then in hospital ward was faulty. So we had to listen to Ernest Okonkwo's (RIP) commentaries on radio. I remember how we would shout as the commentator screamed it isss a gooaaaallll!! The nurses on duty that night would come and threaten us. I was in the children's ward, we all left our beds to sit next to a boy who was bigger than the rest of us that came with a pocket radio. I remember Rashidi Yekini(RIP) scored twice that night. We won the game 3-0.

Our next match was against Cameroun. That was the day i was discharged. I journeyed home after spending 1month in admission at LUTH. I rememeber how my siblings and compound friends rushed to hug me screaming my name. I managed to watch the last few minutes of the game against Cameroun.We were under heavy attack from the Camerounians. It was a 1-1 draw.

The 3rd match was against the Defending champions Egypt who needed a win but Nigeria needed a draw. I remember how the Egyptians bombarded our 18yards box with shots and crosses towards the dying moments of the game.I remember Bright Omokaro's role in that game as a defender. Egypt played us o.It ended 0-0. Nigeria fished second in the group behind Cameroun who defeated Egypt 1-0 and Kenya 1-0.

Came the semis and we faced Algeria. I can never forget that game. Sam Okwaraji(RIP) scored first through deflection on a Algerian defender. I remember how he opened his mouth shouting goooaaallll raising one hand up and his team mates raced after him. Algeria equalised in the second half after a Nigerian player was given a red card. I remember once again Bright Omokaro's role in that game. It was 10players of Nigeria against 11players of Algeria. It was late in the game and Algeria had already made all 3 changes same with Nigeria. Omokaro committed a professional foul on an Algerian. He was stretchered out and Could not continue the game. Omokaro shouted 10-10!Which became his Nickname to date.Algeria played the rest of the game with 10men just like Nigeria. Nigeria won on penalties. Peter Rufai was in goal for Nigeria and Nasir Udeen for Algeria.It was like 9-8 or 10-9 on penalties or something.

We played Cameroun in the final and lost through Emmanuel Kunde'e well taken penalty.1-0 was the final score. We won silver.

I have not missed any AFCON since then even in 1996, and 1998 that we were banned.

(1) (2) (Reply)

See What Happened In Merrybet Shop / Arsenal Target Wigan’s Victor Moses / Rasheedat Ajibade Scores & Provides An Assist In Atletico Madrid's 4 - 1 Victory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.