Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,343 members, 7,808,210 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:46 AM

Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London (20420 Views)

Woman Dies After Acid Attack In Benue State (Photo) / 27-yr-old Lady Dies From Boyfriend’s Acid Attack / 20 Year-old Onitsha House Maid Hacked To Death For Refusing Sex With Boss’s Son (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London by Nobody: 9:07pm On Feb 01, 2013
A Victoria's Secret shop assistant was scarred for life when a mysterious figure wearing a niqab threw acid in her face as she walked home from work.

Naomi Oni, 20, was left with severe burns on her head, neck, arms, legs and body after she was attacked in Dagenham, east London.

She has spent the past month having skin grafts and almost went blind, although she has now recovered her vision in her left eye and has partial sight in her right.

Her attacker was dressed like a Muslim woman in a niqab, so Ms Oni could not see their face. Police have no idea who was responsible for the vicious attack, or why they did it.

The shop assistant - who is sole carer for her disabled mother Marian Yalekhue, 52 - was making the five-minute journey back to their flat from the bus stop when she heard someone behind her.

She had just finished a late shift at the Westfield Stratford store and was on the phone to her boyfriend Ato Owede, 23, at 12.40am.

'I’d been working a late shift and was talking to my boyfriend about what we were going to do for New Year when I saw this Muslim woman wearing a niqab covering her face,' she told the Evening Standard.

'I thought it was a bit strange at that time of night, but she didn’t say anything and I kept on walking.

'Then I felt a splash on my face. It burned and I screamed out. I started running and screaming, holding my face, all the way home. I didn’t look back.

'I got home and I was screaming and banging on the door. I was hysterical. Luckily my godmother, who is a pharmacist, was at home with my mum and she helped me and kept dipping my face in water and trying to calm me down until the police and ambulance got there.

'I was in shock. Saying: "Who would do that? Who would do that?" How could anyone do this?'.

She has released the shocking images of her disfigured face in an appeal for help to catch the attacker whose identity was concealed behind the Muslim women’s dress which completely covers the face apart from the eyes.

Ms Oni decided to speak out after police failed to establish any motive behind the December 30 attack or identify a suspect.

She said the attack had 'destroyed' her life and left her too afraid to venture out or even show her face in public.

'I look in the mirror and it just isn’t me. I’ll never look the same again,' she said. 'I’ve always been outgoing and confident in my job and in my personal life, used to getting attention for the way I dress or my hair, but now I don’t want anyone looking at me.

'I don’t want people to see me in public. I don’t want to get the Tube or the bus. If I have to go to the hospital I take a taxi.

'I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to go back to my job. I was planning to go to college in September to study media and fashion, but I don’t even know if I’ll be able to do that.'

The store assistant has been told she faces months if not years of skin grafts and further plastic surgery and even then is likely to be left with severe facial scarring.

She and her mother say they are too afraid to go back to their council flat in Dagenham. They are currently sleeping on a friend’s sofa-bed after turning down the offer to be rehoused in Tottenham on safety grounds.

Ms Oni said she had been inspired by the story of Katie Piper, the model who launched a charity and spoke out publicly after falling victim to an acid attack orchestrated by her boyfriend, but that she would never feel safe with her attacker still at large.

'Even with the support of my family and friends and boyfriend I feel very alone,' she said. 'Nothing is going to be same anymore.'

A Scotland Yard spokesman said acid attacks were 'extremely rare' and that detectives were keeping an 'open mind as to the motive.'
Officers from Barking and Dagenham are investigating. No arrests have been made and inquiries are ongoing.\

http://alabamauncut..com/2013/02/naomi-oni-20-year-old-woman-scarred-for.html

Re: Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London by Afam4eva(m): 9:18pm On Feb 01, 2013
This is why we say wearing of hijab or any form of clothing that conceals people's faces should be banned. Even a majority muslim country like Kosovo has banned it. It should be extended to other countries. How are the going to catch who poured acid on this woman?

Btw, what's romantic about this story? or @OP are you insinuating that it was done by her lover or her lover's lover?

18 Likes

Re: Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London by Mynd44: 9:20pm On Feb 01, 2013
wow. this is crazy
Re: Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London by Nobody: 9:21pm On Feb 01, 2013
Afam4eva: This is why we say wearing of hijab or any form of clothing that conceals people's faces should be banned. Even a majority muslim country like Kosovo has banned it. It should be extended to other countries. How are the going to catch who poured acid on this woman?

Btw, what's romantic about this story? or @OP are you insinuating that it was done by her lover or her lover's lover?

Isn't it always so? Most acid attacks are done by an ex-lover.
Re: Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London by cowgurl: 9:38pm On Feb 01, 2013
goodness gracious, such cruelty-the possessed witch just killed her.

can't imagine being in her shoes, 'l just...dunno. this is so sad!
Re: Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London by Odunnu: 9:56pm On Feb 01, 2013
Jesu Christi, my God!!!
Re: Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London by ijebabe: 11:02pm On Feb 01, 2013
Afam4eva: This is why we say wearing of hijab or any form of clothing that conceals people's faces should be banned. Even a majority muslim country like Kosovo has banned it. It should be extended to other countries. How are the going to catch who poured acid on this woman?
How can you suggest to dissolve a tradition over this kind of argument? Have Igbo men learnt to cook or stop fighting over land?

3 Likes

Re: Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London by Nobody: 11:03pm On Feb 01, 2013
She has released the shocking images of her disfigured face in an appeal for help to catch the attacker whose identity was concealed behind the Muslim women’s dress which completely covers the face apart from the eyes.

Her boyfriend's exes would be a good place to start.

1 Like

Re: Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London by ijebabe: 11:07pm On Feb 01, 2013
Africans are known to use acid from what I've read from other stories in this section.

This is really awful and I really hope they get the person who did this. Her life will never be the same but I hope she can try to move on. Really sad sad
Re: Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London by Afam4eva(m): 11:19pm On Feb 01, 2013
ijebabe:
How can you suggest to dissolve a tradition over this kind of argument? Have Igbo men learnt to cook or stop fighting over land?
A religious tradition in a multi-religious or secular country? Anything that will conceal people's identity should be looked into. I have nothing against the religion.

4 Likes

Re: Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London by Fussbot: 11:33pm On Feb 01, 2013
Haa!sm pple are heartless o
Re: Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London by ijebabe: 11:34pm On Feb 01, 2013
Afam4eva:
A religious tradition in a multi-religious or secular country? Anything that will conceal people's identity should be looked into. I have nothing against the religion.
A tradition is what it is regardless of the chosen way it is mirrored. It's an infringement, even in a secular country, to ban the use of the nijab.
It's not about the nijab, people will always find new ways to commit crime.

3 Likes

Re: Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London by homesteady(m): 12:21am On Feb 02, 2013
when next i see those crazy hausa gals that use hijab to cover their whole body expect deir eyes....i'll just tear it into shreds!!...

2 Likes

Re: Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London by ijebabe: 12:23am On Feb 02, 2013
Please try it, especially in the north undecided

1 Like

Re: Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London by homesteady(m): 1:36am On Feb 02, 2013
ijebabe: Please try it, especially in the north undecided

trust me!!! I'm nt foolish!! .....i'lll make a way to escape after doing it....besides i'lll also wear hijab...so dat it'll luk like i'm a gal......nd hausa men are nt supposed to touch women dat are nt deir wives
Re: Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London by ijebabe: 1:42am On Feb 02, 2013
Lol! Clap for yourself grin
Re: Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London by homesteady(m): 1:54am On Feb 02, 2013
cool cool cool
ijebabe: Lol! Clap for yourself grin

cool cool
Re: Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London by Mynd44: 5:13am On Feb 02, 2013
Afam4eva:
As much as I understand the reasons behind your calling for this, it is wrong as it solves nothing. If someone wants to commit a crime, they will still do it.

Banning that viel changes nothing as I can bet the person who did this will remove the viel immediately he/she is at a safe distance which means if the viel is banned, a criminal might just cover his/her face when close to a victim, do whatever and move on.

The same was some gun slinging mofos use face masks. Do you think they wear it to the crime scene from their house?

5 Likes

Re: Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London by Afam4eva(m): 11:59am On Feb 02, 2013
ijebabe:
A tradition is what it is regardless of the chosen way it is mirrored. It's an infringement, even in a secular country, to ban the use of the nijab.
It's not about the nijab, people will always find new ways to commit crime.
I'm not calling for the ban of hijab specifically as it will be seen as anti-islamic. But i'm calling for a ban on the covering of faces in public. We know crimes will always be committed but we need to recognize those that are committing the crimes. Why do you think robbers wear masks when going to rob?

1 Like

Re: Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London by Nobody: 12:17pm On Feb 02, 2013
Someone got the word "BAN" stuck in his mouth, thanks to Seun. grin
@Topic, this is cruelty in the highest order.
Can't even imagine being a victim of such an attack thank to sharp reflex and survival instincts.
I can smell danger yards away.
I really do hope she finds happiness after this episode of her life.
No doubt she's victim of a deranged and jealous stalker.
Re: Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London by touchmeder: 12:46pm On Feb 02, 2013
an exlover, someone offended or the girlfriend of her ex, oh lord may you get your face back lady sad
Re: Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London by Nobody: 12:53pm On Feb 02, 2013
cheiiii, wot a wicked world !!!!
Re: Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London by okoraforaboy: 12:53pm On Feb 02, 2013
tellwisdom: She's even more finer than before undecided undecided
mumu
Re: Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London by Lakayana: 12:57pm On Feb 02, 2013
The bible is so complete in Jeremiah 17:9 it is written the heart of man who can tell for it is desperately wicked.

2 Likes

Re: Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London by HIV1: 12:58pm On Feb 02, 2013
Ladies be careful. This is the type of things that happen when you take people for maga playing on their feelings. Some people dont always have forgiven mind. The guy is an extremely wicked person. cool
Re: Acid Attack On 20-Year-old Woman In London by honeric01(m): 12:59pm On Feb 02, 2013
Women and hatred for eachother.

Just for a man, you ruined the emotional life of another woman.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Soldiers Disperse Rioters Blocking Roads In Cross River State (Video, Pictures) / Fighter Pushes Peacemaker Into Path Of Speeding Truck / Man Raped 13-Year-Old Girl To Death In Delta – Harrison Gwamnishu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.