Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:55 AM

Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food (15936 Views)

Lawan & Boniface Emenalo Granted Bail / Police To Declare Farouk Lawan Wanted / New Video of Training, Martyrdom Statements : Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by Nobody: 3:33am On Feb 03, 2013
First Day In Jail: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food

A member of the House of Representatives, Farouk Lawan, and the Secretary of the Ad Hoc Committee on Monitoring of Fuel Subsidy Regime, Boniface Emenalo, who are being detained at Kuje Prison, Abuja, on a court order, are enjoying special treatment that includes food cooked outside the prison wall.

Both of them are being kept in a ‘choice cell’ befitting their status as Very Important Personalities.

It was learnt that Lawan had remained reserved and withdrawn on being booked into the prison by officials.

Our correspondent gathered that his relations were making plans to reach an understanding with the management of the prison to allow them bring in a new mattress for the lawmaker.

Findings indicated that when Lawan and Boniface Emenalo got to the prison facility, the atmosphere changed as the inmates on hearing about the calibre of the new detainees, were happy that their living condition would change during the stay of the lawmakers.

A prison source who pleaded anonymity said, “Lawan and Emenalo were kept in the same cell, but they have said they will not eat the general food cooked in the facility. They have made arrangements to have their food brought to them from home by their family members.

“The prison authorities are not according them any special privilege, but being a lawmaker, Lawan cannot be treated like a common criminal because of his status, and besides, they have not been convicted yet.”

The prison officials were said to have been briefed by their superior officers on how to comport themselves throughout the lawmaker’s stay to avoid leaving the VIPs with a poor impression of the prison Service and its officials.

The Public Relations Officer, Nigerian Prison Service, Kayode Odeyemi, could not be reached for comments as he was said to have travelled out of the country.

Lawan and Emenalo were remanded in prison custody on Friday following their arraignment by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission for allegedly receiving $620,000 as bribe from an oil mogul, Femi Otedola, when Farouk served as the chairman of the committee.

They denied the allegation with Lawan, claiming that he collected the money in order to expose Otedola’s attempt to bribe him.

They will spend a week in prison before the court determines whether to grant or refuse their bail application.
http://www.punchng.com/news/first-day-in-jail-farouk-emenalo-reject-prison-food/
Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by Olucheye(m): 4:19am On Feb 03, 2013
They are not yet charged guilty by the court of law.....hence they should still accord them with prefential services as long as its being paid for out of their personal purse.
And I bet other prisoners will enjoy themselves during their stay as the prison staff will not want to give bad impression of themselves grin

3 Likes

Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by Nobody: 4:54am On Feb 03, 2013
if you think this matter you are crazy
you mean farouk rejects prison food and then..
how does this affect your life?
in china they would have been shot yesterday,
stop feeding us CRAP!

7 Likes

Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by CROWE: 5:09am On Feb 03, 2013
China is not the country we want to emulate.

9 Likes

Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by Burger01(m): 6:18am On Feb 03, 2013
But wait, what yeye status does Lawan has? Thieving status? He should be treated and accorded like every other prisoner...guilty or not guilty.....

1 Like

Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by tpia5: 6:26am On Feb 03, 2013
he didnt really look too good in the photos.

hope he has access to proper medical care?
Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by Nobody: 6:28am On Feb 03, 2013
Well, I hope the people ђ☺ brought the food(s) were forced to properly have a taste of the food before they were passed across to the prisoners, so to say. Wouldn't want them to die with the truth Ooº°˚ ˚°.
Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by CROWE: 6:29am On Feb 03, 2013
Burger01: But wait, what yeye status does Lawan has? Thieving status? He should be treated and accorded like every other prisoner...guilty or not guilty.....

That is generally speaking quite illogical, I dunno why they do it but it only makes sense that accused people should be warranted more freedoms than convicted people. It is funny that they only see it that way with him but I have always thought it weird that people were locked up with everybody else simply because the judge felt they'd be a risk in public or flee.
Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by 234GT(m): 6:48am On Feb 03, 2013
It takes time getting used to prison life, so leave Facrook alone. He will soon start ordering for second round of prison food. By then, him go dey lick plate self.

3 Likes

Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by joeakin101: 6:48am On Feb 03, 2013
we all knw the kind of country we are naija ..either farouk has been convicted or still on trial they will always treat him like a VIP ...its never new to us in nigeria and farouk's case is not the first one ...alll i care about is the FINAL JUDGEMENT..for GOD dis case has been on for months ....what is the delay all about ...Paro don start be that !!!!!
Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by Nobody: 7:21am On Feb 03, 2013
All dese farouk story are just one side of the coin...

Hw abt d oda?
How about otedolla.
Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by AbdulAdam56(m): 8:01am On Feb 03, 2013
I.T.T. International thief thief

1 Like

Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by alphaconde(m): 10:40am On Feb 03, 2013
all thesejail and prison stuff dont bother me i dont like jail term for corrupt men i prefer death sentence.cus in these jails they still fare better than most of us

1 Like

Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by vanstanzy(m): 10:42am On Feb 03, 2013
Then let them "STAAARVE!". If they refuse to feed like prisoners, then they shouldn't EAT AT ALL!

2 Likes

Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by taharqa: 10:45am On Feb 03, 2013
234GT: It takes time getting used to prison life, so leave Facrook alone. He will soon start ordering for second round of prison food. By then, him go dey lick plate self.
e bi like say you bi ex-Prisoner b4, Bros... grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by IYANGBALI: 10:45am On Feb 03, 2013
CROWÉ: China is not the country we want to emulate.
it is,if not things would not change for good in this country and less I forget,this lawan stuff is just a drama that would soon end and the heediots would soon go back home
Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by IYANGBALI: 10:46am On Feb 03, 2013
alpha conde: all thesejail and prison stuff dont bother me i dont like jail term for corrupt men i prefer death sentence.cus in these jails they still fare better than most of us
seconded
Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by Bobbystanley(m): 10:48am On Feb 03, 2013
bak from nairaland ban
Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by valicious1(m): 10:50am On Feb 03, 2013
Femi otedola was indicted in the crime & he s meant to be in that cell with them. He was the bribe giver for crying out loud.
Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by zangality(m): 10:54am On Feb 03, 2013
joeakin101: we all knw the kind of country we are naija ..either farouk has been convicted or still on trial they will always treat him like a VIP ...its never new to us in nigeria and farouk's case is not the first one ...alll i care about is the FINAL JUDGEMENT..for GOD dis case has been on for months ....what is the delay all about ...Paro don start be that !!!!!
I wonder ooo,maybe its not a crime to give bribe in Nigeria.
Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by Stallion77(f): 10:55am On Feb 03, 2013
Fasting is allowed...if dem wan die make dem use intravenous mode of feeding so they dont dodge by dying.
Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by omarky(m): 10:56am On Feb 03, 2013
I don't expect less of what am hearing abt Farouk stance in Kuje. If a prime suspect in a murder case can flex to d fullest in kirikiri maximum Prison. Omisore's flexing is still very fresh in our mind. Let Farouk enjoy d life of his head in Kuje jor....
Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by gerald09(m): 11:02am On Feb 03, 2013
“The prison authorities are not according them any special privilege, but being a lawmaker, Lawan cannot be treated like a common criminal because of his status, and besides, they have not been convicted yet.”

Yeah, them and every other person in there have not bin convicted yet, y the special treatment again? Hw can u put a man who obviously committed a crime and treat him good with people who most of whom don't even kn why dey are in jail and say they have "NOT BEEN CONVICTED YET" is that suppose to make us feel u ® doing a grrt job?

1 Like

Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by Emperortj93(m): 11:03am On Feb 03, 2013
Mtcheeeeeww...who dey beg dem 2 even eat self, mak dey leav dem without food 4 2wks den we go c who go dey ask 4 food..*laff dem in advance*
Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by Orblonde: 11:25am On Feb 03, 2013
In other parts of the world the prisoners would be lining up to lynch such people but here we line up to ass kiss people who put us in this sorry state. We have the leaders and government that we deserve.

1 Like

Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by victorD3: 11:42am On Feb 03, 2013
I remember a prison clinic section was renovated overnight and air conditions/DSTV installed thesame night Lucky Igbinedion was welcomed into Benin prison. He stayed in the clinic area throughout his stay in prison.
Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by holyvirgin: 11:46am On Feb 03, 2013
Nope, he should eat whatever he was given, he is human and prisoners have been eating it way too long. Next time he wouldn't disgrace himself by collecting bribe

1 Like

Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by blackbeau1(f): 11:55am On Feb 03, 2013
It is news to me that warders know that prisoners who haven't been convicted yet are not guilty.more than half of the people in Nigerian prisons have not been convicted yet they are usually treated as though they are hardened criminals.this is the problem with Nigeria.how won't other politicians steal when the know they will be treated like kings in the prison.imagine,bringing in a new matterass for him.what will deter him from stealing next time?infact,they should have made sure prison conditions are worse than they've ever been.
Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by busmagnate: 12:05pm On Feb 03, 2013
Another future president in the making......if you understand what I mean.
Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by mrrock: 12:09pm On Feb 03, 2013
Have been out of the country for a while. Glad to read this man is being prosecuted. Will wait for the final verdict.
Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by Asis(m): 12:22pm On Feb 03, 2013
Mehnnn obviously somethn is not right here,is d dude in prison or in a picnic?as" black_beau"correctly pointed out",more than half of the people in Nigerian
prisons have not been convicted yet they are
usually treated as though they are hardened
criminals."Even though d practice is wrong,Farouk shouldn't be given any preference @ all,de all shld b subjected 2 equal measure,na me send am message?as una de yan am, all na drama sha,mke we de watch am,e nevr finish...all izz well

1 Like

Re: Farouk, Emenalo Reject Prison Food by imonpoint(f): 12:25pm On Feb 03, 2013
why are we all leavin otedola out of it? Giving and receivin bribe are wrong. Both shud b reprimanded. Y is d heat only on d perceived receiver(@least court neva confirm am as criminal).otedola shudnt b a free man. All of dem suppose dey do dia paroles for prison joor

(1) (2) (Reply)

N200bn Unpaid Salaries: Federal Civil Servants Threaten Indefinite Strike / Aftermath Of Oluwo’s Defection: We’ve No Secret Deal With Ambode – Lagos PDP / Plateau: Over 70 Killed In Kanam Communities’ Attack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.