Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:28 AM

Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. (31608 Views)

FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola / INEC Officials Arrested For Mass Thumb Printing In Imo State / Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by fatdon2(m): 9:38am On Feb 03, 2013
In what looks likes the Lagos State government’s arrangement towards getting a replacement for the commercial motorcycle transport system (popularly called Okada), a cable car company, Ropeways Transport Limited, is set to launch a cable car mass urban transit system in the nation’s commercial capital.

This is as a result of the signing of a 30-year Franchise Agreement by Ropeways Transport Limited, the Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA) and the Lagos State Government recently.

According to the Tribune, which reported the story, under the terms of the agreement, Ropeways Transport will this November begin the construction of towers, stations and connecting network cables along various routes covered in the first phase of the project, namely, Ijora–Iddo, Iddo–Adeniji, Apapa–Oluwole, Oluwole–Adeniji, Adeniji–Obalende, Obalende–Falomo, and Falomo–Victoria Island, just as the project is expected to be fully completed and commissioned by early 2015.

www.informationng.com/2013/02/okada-replacement-lagos-moves-to-introduce-cable-cars-for-mass-transportation.html

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by mike404(m): 9:43am On Feb 03, 2013
Nice one smileyNice one

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Nobody: 9:44am On Feb 03, 2013
Are u kidding me?? Well if the lagos state govt can handle such project then democracy is indeed sweet. But brox let this not be a vision 50:50 scheme o. Anyway I salute the govt for thinking in a right way

5 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by zayhal(f): 9:44am On Feb 03, 2013
Interesting
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by JomoGbomo2(m): 9:45am On Feb 03, 2013
Great idea, however if this will be powered by electricity I will "personnally" prefer to drive.......maybe until we get this electricity thingy right.

11 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Ikengawo: 9:47am On Feb 03, 2013
AWESOME!!
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Nobody: 10:10am On Feb 03, 2013
hope their hopes will not be dashed by nepa. me I no one hook for middle of the air o.any way, nice development.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by naptu2: 10:15am On Feb 03, 2013
4bobo: hope their hopes will not be dashed by nepa. me I no one hook for middle of the air o.any way, nice development.

The Lagos Rail project is going to be powered by an IPP, so I don't think this project (if true) will be connected to NEPA/PHCN. However, there's still the issue of availability of gas to contend with.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by NegroNtns(m): 10:16am On Feb 03, 2013
nooooooo, noooooo!!! angry

this is bad idea! this is like laying tracks for trams, except instead of on surface we are suspending it in the sky. this is bad idea. how do you combine fast tracks planned for the metro rails with outdated drags?

let us expand development hinterland into yoruba townships instead of wasting money in one spot to construct multi layers of redundant projects.

Eko Ile please share with the Governor to convert this money and erect a parallel fast track to compete with nigerian railway corporation. we need to depopulate lagos. people can live in oyo and commute daily to lagos to work. it is possible for people in osun to commute back and forth daily to lagos. it is called speed train or bullet train. sky cable cars will only incite the remaining millions left in villages to troop into lagos and be part of the skyriding crowd.

bad bad bad policy on this one......scrap it!

90 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by guttentag(m): 10:21am On Feb 03, 2013
Eko oni baje, we are waiting
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by karlmax2: 10:26am On Feb 03, 2013
So lagos state now owns ropeway transport limited? Una dey very funny sha!lwkmd

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by naptu2: 10:28am On Feb 03, 2013
One of the reasons why I can easily understand what the Lagos State Government is doing, is because it seems that the projects that it is undertaking where taken directly from dreams I had 10 - 20 years ago.

We have the Lagos Rail to connect people from satellite towns to the centre of the city (my dream was about connecting Badagry, Ikorodu, Epe, Ota, Sagamu, etc to Central Lagos/Victoria Island).

The cable cars (or, in my dream, elevated rail) is meant to connect people within heavily peopled districts (which is the role that okada was playing).

For example, going from Eko Hotel to Bonny Camp on Victoria Island is most times a hellish journey.

I remember that Dan Foster said, on air, that he wanted to go get something at the end of the street (Ligali Ayorinde/Etim Inyang Crescent) and he drove down. He was stuck in traffic for over an hour! When I interviewed him, I reminded him of this incident. He said, "I should have walked. I should have walked".

So, there must be a means of quickly and safely making these kinds of journeys within the same district/neighbourhood (a means that's safer than Okada). I see that Obalende-Falomo is also listed. That's another terrible journey (you could be stuck on Awolowo Road for over an hour!).

5 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by mployer(m): 10:28am On Feb 03, 2013
Taking a ride on d sky. Dat wil be so cooooool!!
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Ike77503(m): 10:46am On Feb 03, 2013
i dey laugh ! ! ! Me I go stick to my car and public buses...cable cars kor cable cars Nee...abeg as them they build am make them build ULTRA MODERN IKPOBI to handle the overwhelmingly crashes ...GOd forbid ! Na Look i go just dey look who dey ride am...

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by naptu2: 10:52am On Feb 03, 2013
Cable cars at Obudu Cattle Ranch.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Nobody: 11:13am On Feb 03, 2013
Are u kidding,is this kind of amusement park stuff?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by naptu2: 11:23am On Feb 03, 2013
Routes I would recommend (from experience).

1) Ikoyi-Obalende

2) Victoria Island (Ozumba Mbadiwe-Ahmadu Bello, Bar Beach-Bonny Camp and Sand-fill-Bonny Camp).

3) Jibowu-Adekunle

4) Iddo-Adekunle

5) Maryland-Ikeja

6) Apapa-Ijora

These are routes that should also have bicycle lanes.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Onyenna(m): 11:56am On Feb 03, 2013
Cool...
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by bedford101(m): 11:57am On Feb 03, 2013
na only them go enter
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by bedford101(m): 11:59am On Feb 03, 2013
naptu2: Routes I would recommend (from experience).

1) Ikoyi-Obalende

2) Victoria Island (Ozumba Mbadiwe-Ahmadu Bello, Bar Beach-Bonny Camp and Sand-fill-Bonny Camp).

3) Jibowu-Adeniji

4) Iddo-Adeniji

5) Maryland-Ikeja

6) Apapa-Ijora

These are routes that should also have bicycle lanes.
u forgot to add the 7th route
7) Ikeja-the nearest hospital execpt nor b Nigerians go build am

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by naptu2: 12:02pm On Feb 03, 2013
bedford101:
u forgot to add the 7th route
7) Ikeja-the nearest hospital execpt nor b Nigerians go build am

Lol. How many people have the Obudu cable cars sent to hospital?

(Also compare that to the number of people that okadas have sent to hospital).

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Imyourex(m): 12:02pm On Feb 03, 2013
You mean this thing to work in lagos, wetin agbero go chop nah?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Nobody: 12:03pm On Feb 03, 2013
Cable transportation in a populated and suffocating city like Gidi? Smh

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by redcliff: 12:04pm On Feb 03, 2013
LoL. THIS WONT WORK. its electrically powered. where is the light in the first instance. What do they call it again er...er..erm....BLUE SKY ptoject.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by aribisala0(m): 12:05pm On Feb 03, 2013
S tupid idea!. Not necessary,too expensive and unlikely to have any impact on Lagos's population. There are too many instances of people using Okada when they should be walking. Even in the most advanced Places with buses and underground systems you still have to walk.
I believe Okada is okay for personal use but not commercial.
Any person that wants Okada should learn how to ride one and buy one and there should be no ban on personal usage.

Did I hear you say that will be abused? It is not difficult to police. When caught seize the bike and fine the Customer and do not allow anyone to hang around waiting for fares to pick up. Alternatively there are many single passenger motorbikes and those should be exempt from the ban or just make it illegal for more than one person to ride on a motorbike.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Ladipodeal: 12:07pm On Feb 03, 2013
What about Alimosho LGA?. You need to see pple running to work as early as 5.00 am. BIke charge as high as 1000 naira to get to Cele bus stop along Oshodi Apapa Express.
If you work on the island and live at ikotun, Ijegun axis you must leave home before 5am or you get to work late. Getting home na another thing, most of them get home not earlier than 10pm.
I know of pple dat leave home 5am and get back like 10am. It is suicidal taking BRT buses on that route as you won't get to work earlier than 10am.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Nobody: 12:11pm On Feb 03, 2013
In this case, hold up can only be caused by NEPA(phcn). Some people go hang for up for like 2days! Lolz.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by bedford101(m): 12:12pm On Feb 03, 2013
naptu2:

Lol. How many people have the Obudu cable cars sent to hospital?

(Also compare that to the number of people that okadas have sent to hospital).
how many times a day or in a week do u think d cable cars in Obudu work? consider that, consider d frequent usage..that thing nor be molue or okada wen get tyre when de touch ground o, na air we de talk so.

instead of that why cant they use the money to renovate the railway system and if possible build new railway, equipped them with modern trains.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Amaechi’s Orderly Was The Policeman In The Video / Dolapo Osinbajo Being Carried By Her Mother As A Baby / The IPOB, Hausas And Soldiers Clash In Umuahia: Reason Behind It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.