Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,399 members, 7,808,431 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:51 AM

We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs - Islam for Muslims (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs (31046 Views)

Desert Arabs Competing In Building Skyscrapers - Biggest Clock Tower In Mecca / Arabs Will Be Guided Forever And Ever Unlike Israel / Why Are Black Africans Moslems Considered Inferior By The Arabs Moslems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Anvaller: 4:55pm On Feb 05, 2013
donroxy: Most names that religion people bears really has to do with what religion they practice......!!!

In yorubaland ,even My GreatGrand mothers bears...Esubiyi..... Later had muslim name when she got converted !!!

Till today we have..Ifalokun,Ifabiyi,Osunfunke,Osuntoke,Oguniyi.......Ogunshola.....Ogunseyi......Ogunlola..... and many others.......!!!!

All these seek to differenciate Osun worshippers from Ogun worshippers.........Sango worshippers from Ogun worshippers thus Esu worshippers.........this is Homogeneous Society ooo......Yorubaland!!

Christians also have baptism name e.g Timothy,Isreal,Moses,Jacob,Micheal,Esther,abigeal.....does it mean these peeps are now jew!!

With all the above,How has Islamic/Arabic name being subjective unless u re giving it a subjective definition!!!!

Religion peeps associate with there Religion names!!! Islam is not different......therefore this TOPIC is Trashed!!!

Case Closed!!!!!

Your post has no credibility to trash this post at all. U are not any scientific in ur argument... So ur conclusion is baseless.. I am a Yoruba guy and non of my lineage ever had such names and even many family friends that I know. So if u referenced all those names on ur list, what happened to several other yoruba names that has nothing to do with all those Esu, Ifa, Ogun...etc? Most common Yoruba names Usually starts with Ola, Olu and Ade.. sure u can not argue that. I have seen some xtians changing their names from Esu or Ifabiyi to simply Olabiyi or Olubiyi which makes sense. What influenced their decision was their newly found xtian faith. Which has nothing to do with changing their names completely to Ezekiah or Theophilus

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 4:57pm On Feb 05, 2013
maclatunji:

And stop trying to prove that you have superior reasoning to we Muslims that love our Arabic names, this thread just proves that you are confused. In one instance, you are saying "no Arabic for first names", in another, you are trying to prove that "Barack" which is related to not only "Mubarak" as "Muhammad" is to "Ahmad" but effectively a modified "Arabic" name is actually African.

OP, keep your insecurities to yourself. You can only impress many non-Muslims with all of this and every sincere Muslim knows that Islam is not about that at all.

truly you troll when you have been wiped pretty bad
*superior arab mentality in display*

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by tpia5: 4:59pm On Feb 05, 2013
cheikh: tpia@

@^^ You have given a plausible reply but not exactly convincing as per his origin/his "home environments were not conducive to their return"- perhaps he should leave being a missionary sent from Sieraa Leone and become a posh Hotelier ha ha grin. Most of them could not settle in the hinterland because they are not sure of their origins hence they remained where ever they were dumped/settled along the West African coastline to South Africa wink.

they experienced some hostility when they returned in large numbers, and besides oftentimes the home environment had changed totally when they came back.

it was very difficult if not impossible for them to remain. Besides, some of them [not sure of the number] were also slave traders, which might explain part of the situation.

in any case, lagos and its environs were more conducive for them to settle in, and so they did.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by hadbak: 4:59pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

there is no beef bro.
i simply love my root more than any other.
I'm a sis not a bro. Of cus I don't expect u to love any root more than yours. We are talking of the quran n messenger's root hia n u categorised dat as some root?..c'on ur smarter than tis now.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by maclatunji: 5:00pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

cant believe i am reading this from Senator Mac

Barack is an African name meaning “blessed.” It is a form of both the Hebrew name Baruch and the Arabic name Mubarak, which also mean “blessed” and relate to the Arabic barakah. Another common spelling of the name is Barak.

Ogechi is an Igbo name meaning God'stime, it is a form of English name.does that make ogechi English?

Please help this guy, confusion reigns in his posts after the Barack Hussein Obama debacle. cheesy

This guy's logic implies that if you were born and live in Dar es Salam, you are not African because you would have lost your identity to the Arabs from whose language your city is named.

This kind of thinking is just #Wonderful. cheesy
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Nike93(f): 5:00pm On Feb 05, 2013
maclatunji:

Even Christians know that Barack comes from Mubarak. Just like Bakare comes from Abu Bakr and is another form of Abubakar.

Really, you need to stop being insecure if you want to be a Muslim and be bold.

Are you in or out?
Double-crosser or devout?

-Apologies to Disney. cheesy
1000 likes
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Nobody: 5:01pm On Feb 05, 2013
@Topic
Allah has 99names in the Quran......If Op belief in Allah,he will Belief in the Quran.....Allah called himself different 99names.........if I therefore decided to give my son/daughter One of Allah 99names......whats the problem of Op!!! Muslims are enjoined to give their Children Names of Allah,Mohammed,Sahabah....... And U re not ''compelled'' to give this names but only ''enjoined''........!!!

The names u give ur child identify what he/she associate with religiously,yoruba names suggest,she is a Yoruba......Islamic/arabic names(whatever u call it) suggest,she is a muslim!!!

Allah did not say,in d Quran, that ......He is ''Babatunde'' nor ''Oye-labi''...... Nor ''Owoniyi''...... He(swt) call Himself(swt) ''Gafur'','Kabir'', ''Qodir'' et all!!!...... And Good Muslim is enjoined to associate with Allah and His names!!!

@Op
Ki lo de, iwo nikan ko ni Yooba...... Ma pe Aja lobo fun wa joor(u can't confuse us).......Adisi le,Rikishi,Ote ati Tembelekun......Hypocrite!!!

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by khairate(f): 5:04pm On Feb 05, 2013
donwilz: I am no muslim, but what you are saying in essence is the allah will not understand you when you speak in other languages, apart from arabic?. This is the height of ignorance and complex issues. The Op is spot on IMHO. This also applies to Christians! I don't get the logic in bearing alien names. I was laughed at in my high school days because i have no English name.. What happened to our pride ? God created all mankind equally. That is the beauty of diversity. Don't you ask yourselves , why God/Allah didn't make us all a single race? This is the beauty of his creation.. DIVERSITY.. Never forget your roots!
. The problem here is not just the diversity in languages. It goes beyound that. Now, where is it in d bible that a groom must wear a suit nd his wife, a white garment and expose her hair if she chose to? Or is it african??. Islam and christianity do not go hand in hand, they re just too distinct frm each other. In islam, everything is unambigiously spelt out. The way u shld dress, pray, eat, even the directn u turn while u sleep, d step u take while enterin d toilet...d list is endless. Islam is a complete way of life. U dnt just chip in new ideas jus because u feel u re educated. Sincerely there is nothin to argue. U shld rather be concerned about how u hav americanised xtianity wit all ur erudite knowledge
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by tpia5: 5:04pm On Feb 05, 2013
The names u give ur child identify what he/she associate with religiously,yoruba names suggest,she is a Yoruba......Islamic/arabic names(whatever u call it) suggest,she is a muslim!!!

i dont think you're contradicting the poster.

this is what he was saying, to the best of my knowledge.

most nigerians give their kids an ethnic name as well as a religious one.

even oyibos and westerners look at you somehow if you're foreign [to them] and yet none of your names are.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 5:05pm On Feb 05, 2013
hadbak: I'm a sis not a bro. Of cus I don't expect u to love any root more than yours. We are talking of the quran n messenger's root hia n u categorised dat as some root?..c'on ur smarter than tis now.

i love the quran,dont misunderstand me. i can be a better muslim by bearing olanrewaju than Razaq.olanrewaju is my identity. muslims should be identified by deeds and actions like the prophet Muhammad (saw) not names.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by seunajia: 5:06pm On Feb 05, 2013
Something tells me the OP is not a muslim. I shouldn't say this based on his opinion, but I'm as human as they come. Allah knows His worshipers.

The OP and some of the mischievous people applauding him messed up the beautiful thread. What I got from his initial post is this: OP prefers having his native name as his first name. Which I think is fine.

But to say bearing Islamic names make you less yoruba is not true. Your Islamic name is your identity. I like to write my name in full. It screams at you, he's a muslim grin

Whether you now arrange it as:

i. Abubakar Omobowale Balogun, or

ii. Omobowale Abubakar Balogun is your cup of tea.

On a lighter note, the OP should stop wearing suits or writing in English so he doesnt lose his identity tongue
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by tpia5: 5:07pm On Feb 05, 2013
seriously, when did yorubas start bearing abubakar?

no offence to anyone with the name, it just sounds strange to me.

i'd assume the bearer would be hausa.

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by snakova(m): 5:08pm On Feb 05, 2013
Allah revealed the qur'an in arabic for a reason, just like the injeel (original bible )was in hebrew. So, it is commendable to have an islamic com arabic name, but it doesnt negate your right to have a tribal name.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 5:08pm On Feb 05, 2013
donroxy: @Topic
Allah has 99names in the Quran......If Op belief in Allah,he will Belief in the Quran.....Allah called himself different 99names.........if I therefore decided to give my son/daughter One of Allah 99names......whats the problem of Op!!! Muslims are enjoined to give their Children Names of Allah,Mohammed,Sahabah....... And U re not ''compelled'' to give this names but only ''enjoined''........!!!

Allah did not say,in d Quran, that ......He is ''Babatunde'' nor ''Oye-labi''...... Nor ''Owoniyi''...... He(swt) call Himself(swt) ''Gafur'','Kabir'', ''Qodir'' et all!!!...... And Good Muslim is enjoined to associate with Allah and His names!!!

@Op
Ki lo de, iwo nikan ko ni Yooba...... Ma pe Aja lobo fun wa joor(u can't confuse us).......Adisi le,Rikishi,Ote ati Tembelekun......Hypocrite!!!

gush..... smh for you

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 5:10pm On Feb 05, 2013
seunajia: Something tells me the OP is not a muslim. I shouldn't say this based on his opinion, but I'm as human as they come. Allah knows His worshipers.

The OP and some of the mischievous people applauding him messed up the beautiful thread. What I got from his initial post is this: OP prefers having his native name as his first name. Which I think is fine.

But to say bearing Islamic names make you less yoruba is not true. Your Islamic name is your identity. I like to write my name in full. It screams at you, he's a muslim grin

Whether you now arrange it as:

i. Abubakar Omobowale Balogun, or

ii. Omobowale Abubakar Balogun is your cup of tea.

On a lighter note, the OP should stop wearing suits or writing in English so he doesnt lose his identity tongue

there is no such thing as islamic name.my actions and deeds will identify me
you knwow what makes me a proud muslim?
I AM A CONVINCED MUSLIM. not a default muslim like you. use your brain
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 5:11pm On Feb 05, 2013
tpia@:

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 5:12pm On Feb 05, 2013
snakova: Allah revealed the qur'an in arabic for a reason, just like the injeel (original bible )was in hebrew. So, it is commendable to have an islamic com arabic name, but it doesnt negate your right to have a tribal name.

total rubbish. jack smith can be a better muslim than Abubakar Razaq. be proud of your heritage as arabs are so proud of theirs

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by dnative(m): 5:15pm On Feb 05, 2013
tpia@:

surely i dont need to spell it out to you?

barack has its origins in the semitic form baruch or mubarak.

you can say its an africanized version but you need to pull up more evidence if you say it has an african root.

in yoruba, its alubarika, but everyone knows it still has an arab root?

I think you read me wrong, I wasn't saying you were right or wrong, simply asking you to provide some evidence on how Barack means or derived from Mubarak.

Go back to the boldened in your response and tell me how that has helped.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Anvaller: 5:17pm On Feb 05, 2013

@Op

Well I really don't see where God has placed any emphasis on us not to identify with our identity as long as it does not contradict basic principles of God. Do u really think it would make any difference in the eyes of God if u prefer to say As salam alaykun and some body else says peace be unto you and I say Ki ike Oluwa wa pelu e.. Are u saying God will strike the 2 other statements off and disregard them because it was not uttered in Arabic? Or that God would assume that the 2 others were not muslims?

I think the point being made here is to let ppl know that all these arabic names are not as important as they were coerced to believe and this is not what determines ur credibility as a muslim.. so if any one still want to go ahead then its fine. At least you would by then know that ur muslim name doesnt make u a better muslim u only love that name for personal reasons.

4 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 5:19pm On Feb 05, 2013
Anvaller:

Well I really don't see where God has placed any emphasis on us not to identify with our identity as long as it does not contradict basic principles of God. Do u really think it would make any difference in the eyes of God if u prefer to say As salam alaykun and some body else says peace be unto you and I say Ki ike Oluwa wa pelu e.. Are u saying God will strike the 2 other statements off and disregard them because it was not uttered in Arabic? Or that God would assume that the 2 others were not muslims?

I think the point being made here is to let ppl know that all these arabic names are not as important as they were coerced to believe and this is not what determines ur credibility as a muslim.. so if any one still want to go ahead then its fine. At least you would by then know that ur muslim name doesnt make u a better muslim u only love that name for personal reasons.

subhanalahi you said it all.
can you read mind?lol
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by seunajia: 5:20pm On Feb 05, 2013
tpia@:

Abubakar is another way of writing Abu Bakr. It's not an Hausa name.

justaqad:

there is no such thing as islamic name.my actions and deeds will identify me
you knwow what makes me a proud muslim?
I AM A CONVINCED MUSLIM. not a default muslim like you. use your brain

I could have been wrong, But I thought we were having an intelligent discussion here and not attacking personalities?
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by tpia5: 5:22pm On Feb 05, 2013
dnative:

I think you read me wrong, I wasn't saying you were right or wrong, simply asking you to provide some evidence on how Barack means or derived from Mubarak.

Go back to the boldened in your response and tell me how that has helped.

the evidence is in the meaning as well as the spelling. Etymology?

barack without the "mu" prefix is what people are calling african, but dropping the prefix doesnt mean the root word originated in africa, unless you have evidence to the contrary.

alubarika is from hausa, and based on the arabic form. Its the yoruba pronunciation of barka.

hope i'm clearer now?
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 5:23pm On Feb 05, 2013
seunajia:

I could have been wrong, But I thought we were having an intelligent discussion here and not attacking personalities?

there is no insult,just an advice
besides you called me mischievous
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by tpia5: 5:28pm On Feb 05, 2013
seunajia:

my point is its usually associated with hausas. The yoruba version is different, just like barack isnt spelled the same way as mubarak.

true, no need for that.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by dederocs(m): 5:29pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad: Asalam Alaykum.

Islam is a religion not just to he Arabs but to the whole world,Simply by saying 'there is no god apart from God.

شَهِدَ اللّهُ أَنَّهُ لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ هُوَ وَالْمَلاَئِكَةُ وَأُوْلُواْ الْعِلْمِ قَآئِمَاً بِالْقِسْطِ لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ هُوَ الْعَزِيزُ الْحَكِيمُ

God bears witness that there is no other god besides Him, and so do the angels and those who possess knowledge."(Verse 3:18)

there is a trend among Muslims which i find not just disturbing but wrong.muslims are submitters to the will of Allah not to the will of Arabs.
we are loosing our identity to the Arabs.the essence of naming is for Identity.when i hear the name Chidi,i know he is Igbo by tribe.but it would be difficult to tell whether Gafar that resides in Oshodi is yoruba,igbo,hausa or Arab.
i fear we are loosing our cultural heritage to the Arabs.i beg to differ there is no such thing as Islamic name.i am not saying Arabic names are bad,but we ought not loose our identity.
i grew up with an Arabic name as my first name,whenever i say my first name,people start asking are you Hausa?it will take me me some seconds to introduce my self.i have since adopted my tribal name as my first,arabic second.
i am proud of my race,i am proud to be called Yoruba.i am not loosing it,not for anything.

Masalam
thank you so much...Allah can not be wrong to make us come from Africa...this should come first

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by seunajia: 5:33pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

there's no insult there just an advice
besides you called me mischievous...

apologies if you feel insulted

Read again:

The problem with you is that of approach, you are a muslim, state your point and move on. It is well bro wink
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by neey1051(m): 5:33pm On Feb 05, 2013

@Op
Are u saying you can't name ur child(ren) oluwatobi, oluwadara, oluwaga,oluwaniyi....must we travel miles to import names? can't we find the exact synonyms of arabic names in our dialect? missionaries don corrode our mind ooo...chei!!! wink smiley wink
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Anvaller: 5:34pm On Feb 05, 2013
khairate: . The problem here is not just the diversity in languages. It goes beyound that. Now, where is it in d bible that a groom must wear a suit nd his wife, a white garment and expose her hair if she chose to? Or is it african??. Islam and christianity do not go hand in hand, they re just too distinct frm each other. In islam, everything is unambigiously spelt out. The way u shld dress, pray, eat, even the directn u turn while u sleep, d step u take while enterin d toilet...d list is endless. Islam is a complete way of life. U dnt just chip in new ideas jus because u feel u re educated. Sincerely there is nothin to argue. U shld rather be concerned about how u hav americanised xtianity wit all ur erudite knowledge

Well Khairat... with due respect u are right but not completely.. the way of life in islam is unambiguously spelt out but not as ambiguously as some Hadith have made it tho. This is another infinite topic for another day. U may want to re examine the Hadith for its consistencies.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 5:35pm On Feb 05, 2013
seunajia:

Read again:

The problem with you is that of approach, you are a muslim, state your point and move on. It is well bro wink

apologies
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Nobody: 5:37pm On Feb 05, 2013
Anvaller:

Your post has no credibility to trash this post at all. U are not any scientific in ur argument... So ur conclusion is baseless.. I am a Yoruba guy and non of my lineage ever had such names and even many family friends that I know. So if u referenced all those names on ur list, what happened to several other yoruba names that has nothing to do with all those Esu, Ifa, Ogun...etc? Most common Yoruba names Usually starts with Ola, Olu and Ade.. sure u can not argue that. I have seen some xtians changing their names from Esu or Ifabiyi to simply Olabiyi or Olubiyi which makes sense. What influenced their decision was their newly found xtian faith. Which has nothing to do with changing their names completely to Ezekiah or Theophilus

what u ve said here is rubbish/baseless compared with what the Topic suggested as ''we are losing our Identity to the Arabs''...... If u say my argument is not SCIENTIFIC then u re MYOPIC.

This is ''Religion'' we are talking about not mere ''social'' gathering!!!

In Yoruba Religion of Ifa,Osun,Oya,Esu,Obatala...... Each worshippers of such DEITY identify with the name of the deity they are worshipping.......Yorubaland is Homogeneous society!!!

Who is talking about...tolulope,adeniyi and olasunkanmi here..........we are talking abt Religion and Names!!!

Dig ur Heritage verywell and u will discovered that ur forefather/greatgrandfathers were initially Deity worshippers before Foreign Religion were embraced!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

How An American Lady Converted To Islam / Do You Know Who Killed Abu Jahl ? ¿ It Was Children ! Click To Read More / Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.