Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:05 AM

We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs - Islam for Muslims (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs (31040 Views)

Desert Arabs Competing In Building Skyscrapers - Biggest Clock Tower In Mecca / Arabs Will Be Guided Forever And Ever Unlike Israel / Why Are Black Africans Moslems Considered Inferior By The Arabs Moslems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by seunajia: 5:40pm On Feb 05, 2013
tpia@:

my point is its usually associated with hausas. The yoruba version is different, just like barack isnt spelled the same way as mubarak.

true, no need for that.

Well, that's an aberration, I know so many Yoruba muslims who go by that name. Exactly that spelling.

Anyway, whether we know more Yorubas or Hausas with that name does not make it less Islamic smiley

Can the OP please address my post now?
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Nobody: 5:43pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

gush..... smh for you
is that all u gat to say...... I thought u got it figured out!!!

Disprove my argument!!!!

Come with something reasonable next-time cuz Ur topic is baseless!!

Gush and SMH for you too!!! Baseless rants!!
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Afam4eva(m): 5:47pm On Feb 05, 2013
@OP
I understand your sentiments and i agree wholly with you. Christianity and Islam are both foreign languages that were imported into our domain. There's nothing wrong in being part of any of these religions, but in doing so, it should not be at the detriment of our own nativity. We have to learn not to make religion imperialistic in nature. The name "Olatunde" can be a Christian name or a muslim name depending on who is bearing it. In Igbo Mythology, "Chukwu" or "Chineke" used to be used to refer to deities but today because Igbos are mostly Christians, it is used to refer to the God of Christians and still being used by traditional worshippers.

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by GooseBaba: 5:50pm On Feb 05, 2013
donroxy:

what u ve said here is rubbish/baseless compared with what the Topic suggested as ''we are losing our Identity to the Arabs''...... If u say my argument is not SCIENTIFIC then u re MYOPIC.

This is ''Religion'' we are talking about not mere ''social'' gathering!!!

In Yoruba Religion of Ifa,Osun,Oya,Esu,Obatala...... Each worshippers of such DEITY identify with the name of the deity they are worshipping.......Yorubaland is Homogeneous society!!!

Who is talking about...tolulope,adeniyi and olasunkanmi here..........we are talking abt Religion and Names!!!

Dig ur Heritage verywell and u will discovered that ur forefather/greatgrandfathers were initially Deity worshippers before Foreign Religion were embraced!!

And foreign religion is not a deity?

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Anvaller: 5:52pm On Feb 05, 2013
donroxy:

what u ve said here is rubbish/baseless compared with what the Topic suggested as ''we are losing our Identity to the Arabs''...... If u say my argument is not SCIENTIFIC then u re MYOPIC.

In Yoruba Religion of Ifa,Osun,Oya,Esu,Obatala...... Each worshippers of such DEITY identify with the name of the deity they are worshipping.......Yorubaland is Homogeneous society!!!

Who is talking about...tolulope,adeniyi and olasunkanmi here..........we are talking abt Religion and Names!!!

Dig ur Heritage verywell and u will discovered that ur forefather/greatgrandfathers were initially Deity worshippers before Foreign Religion were embraced!!

Well relax... from the perspective of ur argument, u are doing exactly the contrary of what u are claiming. U are raising ur point from a sociologist point of view and not from religious point of view. That does not conform with the trend of this thread u are only talking about what ppl generally do but we are talking about what is ideal and not what ppl do. Islamic religion is a religion and not a culture. And that is why u can be a muslim from any culture.. So if u say ppl align their names with their religion simple, must u borrow a foreign culture to practice a religion? Yes this is what ppl do but we are saying that is wrong and baseless. Culture evolves within culture but its still the same culture. So if my Yoruba name have evolved to what it is today.. it is still my culture isnt it? And u can not say every one who has worshiped Ifa or Ogun had those as a prefix on their names... U can not prove that to me.

3 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Nobody: 5:55pm On Feb 05, 2013
Anvaller:

Well I really don't see where God has placed any emphasis on us not to identify with our identity as long as it does not contradict basic principles of God. Do u really think it would make any difference in the eyes of God if u prefer to say As salam alaykun and some body else says peace be unto you and I say Ki ike Oluwa wa pelu e.. Are u saying God will strike the 2 other statements off and disregard them because it was not uttered in Arabic? Or that God would assume that the 2 others were not muslims?

I think the point being made here is to let ppl know that all these arabic names are not as important as they were coerced to believe and this is not what determines ur credibility as a muslim.. so if any one still want to go ahead then its fine. At least you would by then know that ur muslim name doesnt make u a better muslim u only love that name for personal reasons.
I understand the point u re butressing here......... And I agree that there is different between Religion and Culture.....!!

Islam/being a Muslim does not take your identity from U...... Am a Muslim, A Yoruba man and I am not ARAB.......I am African.....Originality!!!

Op , really have to spell it all out to avoid confusion cuz He(Op) really came to despised Arabic/islamic Names........!!

Whatever I do in Arabic is simply for the sake of Allah(swt) not Arabs!!!..........If I should name my Son AbdSalam=Erusin Oba Alaafia=Servant of Peaceful God........ I do that for Allah,to associate with the name of whom(swt) I worship not for Arabians!!!!
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 5:57pm On Feb 05, 2013
seunajia:

Well, that's an aberration, I know so many Yoruba muslims who go by that name. Exactly that spelling.

Anyway, whether we know more Yorubas or Hausas with that name does not make it less Islamic smiley

Can the OP please address my post now?

What?
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by tpia5: 5:58pm On Feb 05, 2013
donroxy:

tolulope is a religious name.

as per affiliation with deities, yes, nigerians do choose names which reflect the deity they worship.

a religion isnt any less valid just because you consider it "foreign" [this issue of "foreigness" is highly debatable especially when referring to christianity].
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Nobody: 5:58pm On Feb 05, 2013
neey1051:
Are u saying you can't name ur child(ren) oluwatobi, oluwadara, oluwaga,oluwaniyi....must we travel miles to import names? can't we find the exact synonyms of arabic names in our dialect? missionaries don corrode our mind ooo...chei!!! wink smiley wink

It is called Religion name which coincidentally Arab bear such too!!! Arab also have there indigenous names!!!
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 5:59pm On Feb 05, 2013
Afam4eva: @OP
I understand your sentiments and i agree wholly with you. Christianity and Islam are both foreign languages that were imported into our domain. There's nothing wrong in being part of any of these religions, but in doing so, it should not be at the detriment of our own nativity. We have to learn not to make religion imperialistic in nature. The name "Olatunde" can be a Christian name or a muslim name depending on who is bearing it. In Igbo Mythology, "Chukwu" or "Chineke" used to be used to refer to deities but today because Igbos are mostly Christians, it is used to refer to the God of Christians and still being used by traditional worshippers.

Hope they will heed
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by tintingz(m): 6:03pm On Feb 05, 2013
maclatunji:

Dear child, I know you are confused but let me educate you. Barack is actually a shortened form of "Mubarak" which is very Arabic- It is not "African" at all in its roots. Can you say Olawale as Arab or Hebrew roots? Of course not!

Don't take my word for it, let us read together:

What do the words “Barack” and “Obama” literally mean?

We recently asked readers to suggest a name for us to research and write about. The name that received the most requests happens to belong to Barack Obama.

The 44th President of the United States is named after his father, who was a Kenyan economist. Barack is an African name meaning “blessed.” It is a form of both the Hebrew name Baruch and the Arabic name Mubarak, which also mean “blessed” and relate to the Arabic barakah. Another common spelling of the name is Barak.

There is no connection between Barack and “barrack,” which has both a different spelling and pronunciation. A barrack is a building or group of buildings that lodge soldiers. It comes from the French barraque and the Spanish barraca, which means “cabin or hut.”

Obama is an ancient Kenyan surname. The name is found frequently among the Luo, the third largest ethnic group in Kenya. It is believed that the name derived from the root word obam, which means “to lean or bend.”

Obama’s middle name Hussein is the first name of his paternal grandfather. The name, which is of Arabic origin, means “good” or “handsome one.”
Read more at http://hotword.dictionary.com/barack-obama-name/#ZiizpowyWsG77pR3.99

Note that the language, "Swahili" which is prevalent in East Africa is heavily influenced by Arabic.

So my dear, Barak is not African at all by your presentation on this thread, it is adopted from Arabic.
just like in yoruba Alubarika cheesy
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Nobody: 6:04pm On Feb 05, 2013
neey1051:
Are u saying you can't name ur child(ren) oluwatobi, oluwadara, oluwaga,oluwaniyi....must we travel miles to import names? can't we find the exact synonyms of arabic names in our dialect? missionaries don corrode our mind ooo...chei!!! wink smiley wink

It is called Religion name which coincidentally, Arab bear such too!!! Arab also have there indigenous names which is different from Islamic names!!!!

Yoruba diety worshippers also have indigenous names which doesn't associate any of them with what they do.......Ifalokun can still bear Adeniyi etc!!!

Am a Yoruba dude..... I have Islamic name,Yoruba name and my family name(which is Yoruba too)!!!
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by ayinba1(f): 6:06pm On Feb 05, 2013
Afam4eva: @OP

And this is where the contention lies. If a yoruba man says "myname is Olatunde" you do not know if he is Muslim, Christian or Pagan. With an Islamic name, the muslim damned all odds and stated " I am a muslim". It is a matter of choice. Be a visible muslim OR not.

Not bearing a muslim name does not make you less of a muslim, IMO, but having a muslim name DOES NOT make you lose your culture.

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 6:09pm On Feb 05, 2013
ayinba1:

And this is where the contention lies. If a yoruba man says "myname is Olatunde" you do not know if he is Muslim, Christian or Pagan. With an Islamic name, the muslim damned all odds and stated " I am a muslim". It is a matter of choice. Be a visible muslim OR not.

Not bearing a muslim name does not make you less of a muslim, IMO, but having a muslim name DOES NOT make you lose your culture.

Let your deeds and actions identify you as a muslim...its most honourable.

2 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Afam4eva(m): 6:13pm On Feb 05, 2013
ayinba1:

Not bearing a Muslim name does not make you less of a Muslim, IMO, but having a Muslim name DOES NOT make you lose your culture.
How about "be visible Yoruba or not". Why does your religious affiliation have to be obvious and not your cultural affiliation. Why do you need someone to know you're a Muslim through your name?
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 6:17pm On Feb 05, 2013
Afam4eva:
How about "be visible Yoruba or not". Why does your religious affiliation have to be obvious and not your cultural affiliation. Why do you need someone to know you're a Muslim through your name?

Hehehehehehehehehehehehe
Muslims by name...
Heheheheheheheheheheheheheh
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by ayinba1(f): 6:18pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

Identity! Repeat identity!

If your first name is "tunde", there is no guarantee that your deeds and actions will be better/more muslim than if it were "hassan" and vice versa. Brother, you are trying to loop the logic. Your original post stipulated that using a non Yoruba / islamic/arabic name is losing your identity to Arabs. The focus should be on that.

Again, Identity.

We can reserve "deeds and actions" that identify you as a muslim for a new thread. But stay the course on this one.

Did we lose our identity to the Brits when we adopted English as our lingua franca? Okay, we lost 80% to them based on your viewpoint, the remaining 20% to France since French is our second official language.
I do wonder though if you have other personal issues with your identity overLl. Just wondering because this does not add up.

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by ayinba1(f): 6:22pm On Feb 05, 2013
Afam4eva:

Good question.
Muslims with understnding know that on the Final Day, your identity that is most important is Religious and nothing else. So do I want to be a muslim on the day of judgement Or do I want to be Yoruba?
I do not expect you to understand.
At least we agree that the muslim name identifies you as a muslim, not an ARAB!

We are making progress grin

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Afam4eva(m): 6:25pm On Feb 05, 2013
ayinba1:

Good question.
Muslims with understnding know that on the Final Day, your identity that is most important is Religious and nothing else. So do I want to be a muslim on the day of judgement Or do I want to be Yoruba?
I do not expect you to understand.
At least we agree that the muslim name identifies you as a muslim, not an ARAB!

We are making progress grin
So, why were you created as a Yoruba and not as a Muslim.

Yes, a muslim name can identify you as a muslim but i didn't say an Arabic name. Chinedu can be a muslim name if it's my name and i'm a muslim.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 6:25pm On Feb 05, 2013
ayinba1:

Identity! Repeat identity!

If your first name is "tunde", there is no guarantee that your deeds and actions will be better/more muslim than if it were "hassan" and vice versa. Brother, you are trying to loop the logic. Your original post stipulated that using a non Yoruba / islamic/arabic name is losing your identity to Arabs. The focus should be on that.

Again, Identity.

We can reserve "deeds and actions" that identify you as a muslim for a new thread. But stay the course on this one.

Did we lose our identity to the Brits when we adopted English as our lingua franca? Okay, we lost 80% to them based on your viewpoint, the remaining 20% to France since French is our second official language.
I do wonder though if you have other personal issues with your identity overLl. Just wondering because this does not add up.

What in God's name is wrong with you people.stop making it an islamic thing.
I have cited numerous instance why your first name should be your tribal.read my posts.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 6:26pm On Feb 05, 2013
Afam4eva:

Yes, a muslim name can identify you as a muslim but i didn't say an Arabic name. Chinedu can be a muslim name if it's my name and i'm a muslim.

Can't believe a chrsitain is saying this...
Thumbs up
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by ayinba1(f): 6:28pm On Feb 05, 2013
Afam4eva:

Sorry, I gave you too much credit.
A similar question to that above is "why were you created an Ibo and not a Christian?"

Poorly structured question because they are not mutually exclusive traits. Try again!

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by tpia5: 6:28pm On Feb 05, 2013
the reason why there's confusion here is because people dont understand religion can also be synonymous with tribe.

meaning tribe has everything to do with religion, and originates from it.

think i discussed something like this some years back.

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 6:29pm On Feb 05, 2013
ayinba1:

Good question.

So if I bear chidi on the day of reckoning I would be confused for a non muslim?
Subhanalahi
Hehehehehehehehehehe
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Nobody: 6:30pm On Feb 05, 2013
Anvaller:

Well relax... from the perspective of ur argument, u are doing exactly the contrary of what u are claiming. U are raising ur point from a sociologist point of view and not from religious point of view. That does not conform with the trend of this thread u are only talking about what ppl generally do but we are talking about what is ideal and not what ppl do. Islamic religion is a religion and not a culture. And that is why u can be a muslim from any culture.. So if u say ppl align their names with their religion simple, must u borrow a foreign culture to practice a religion? Yes this is what ppl do but we are saying that is wrong and baseless. Culture evolves within culture but its still the same culture. So if my Yoruba name have evolved to what it is today.. it is still my culture isnt it? And u can not say every one who has worshiped Ifa or Ogun had those as a prefix on their names... U can not prove that to me.

ahahaha....u re funny....!!! Ifa peeps attached Ifa as prefix to their names!!! Some no longer do it but yet,the Ifa prefix is still there till today while some has totally left it out!!

U re just draging dis too far...... All I am saying to U is.....Ifa which is a deity in Yorubaland,the Origin of Ifa is in Yorubaland,an Ifa Worshipper attached ''Ifa'' as prefix to their name and someone who is also a Yorubaman but not Ifa worshipper doesn't have anything to do with Ifa- as prefix or suffix to his name!!!

Likewise, why should a muslim not Identify Himself/herself with Islamic name/religion name simply cuz Arab element is in it!!!

There is no way u will embrace sth from foreign land and such won't affect ur indigeneous being(culture)......it is either u deal with it or opt-out!!!
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by skyfall: 6:30pm On Feb 05, 2013
I agree with the OP.

Bearing an Arabic/English name is a form of slavery. People should bear their indigenous names, esp Africans.

2 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by BetaThings: 6:32pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

Any ahadeeth to back up your contention?
Deeds are not in contention. But saying that they are enough in this respect needs to be backed by some text
You have one to support your argument

As for people "reasoning" here, please we are discussing religion. Our deeds and thoughts are regulated by revelation on this matter.
Please it adds nothing to the discussion asking us to use our brain. When there are clear texts, we submit. If there is no guidance, we resort to analogies.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 6:35pm On Feb 05, 2013
BetaThings:
Any ahadeeth to back up your contention?
Deeds are not in contention. But saying that they are enough in this respect needs to be backed by some text
You have one to support your argument

As for people "reasoning" here, please we are discussing religion. Our deeds and thoughts are regulated by revelation on this matter.
Please it adds nothing to the discussion asking us to use our brain. When there are clear texts, we submit. If there is no guidance, we resort to analogies.

Oh my God.....
Lol
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by ayinba1(f): 6:35pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

So if I bear chidi on the day of reckoning I would be confused for a non muslim?
Subhanalahi
Hehehehehehehehehehe

Wrong question. The post was in response to the question below.

Good try. You seem hell bent on misleading others which is really shameful.

Afam4eva:

There is no confusing who a muslim is or a non-muslim is on the day of Judgement. I woulda thought you knew that by now!

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by BetaThings: 6:39pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

Can't believe a chrsitain is saying this...
Thumbs up

Any muslim knows that the very idea you are applauding strikes at the root of eeman
That is why only a Christian can say it
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Nobody: 6:44pm On Feb 05, 2013
ayinba1:

Sorry, I gave you too much credit.
A similar question to that above is "why were you created an Ibo and not a Christian?"

Poorly structured question because they are not mutually exclusive traits. Try again!
thats people who failed to argue constructively..... Ayinba those peeps know what they are doing.......it all fun and thanks for giving it to them!!!

We are talking about Names,they were trashed there now they change it to culture.....!!!!

If what u BELIEF enjoined u to bear some names why not!!! And whose business is that!!

They came and say,African Religion is BS , we agreed.........we left our RELIGION and embraced Islam,Christian,Jew.....some are now atheist!!!

We re not contesting Belief but Names....ahahahaha Africa kolo!!!
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 6:48pm On Feb 05, 2013
ayinba1:

Wrong question. The post was in response to the question below.

Good try. You seem hell bent on misleading others which is really shameful.

You are the one misleading people

You said this

ayinba1:

And you think its your name that would distinguish you on the day of reckoning? Allah looks at the heart of men... Your deeds and actions would identify you as a muslim,not arabic nomenclature

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply)

How An American Lady Converted To Islam / Do You Know Who Killed Abu Jahl ? ¿ It Was Children ! Click To Read More / Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.