Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,762 members, 7,798,553 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:38 AM

We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs - Islam for Muslims (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs (30965 Views)

Desert Arabs Competing In Building Skyscrapers - Biggest Clock Tower In Mecca / Arabs Will Be Guided Forever And Ever Unlike Israel / Why Are Black Africans Moslems Considered Inferior By The Arabs Moslems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by seunajia: 6:49pm On Feb 05, 2013
Afam4eva:
How about "be visible Yoruba or not". Why does your religious affiliation have to be obvious and not your cultural affiliation. Why do you need someone to know you're a Muslim through your name?

Your assertions are contrary to the OP's. unless the OP is saying people shouldn't bear Islamic names at-all.

Again, you religion is your identity. If you're not ashamed to be a muslim, you'll bear a muslim name. And bearing a muslim name does not make you less Yoruba or Igbo. Why do Doctors put Dr. In front of their names?

Yes I want people to identify me as a muslim. My name highlights both my Islamic and Yoruba heritage.

My name is Abubakar Omobowale Balogun. I'm a muslim and a proud yoruba cool
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by BetaThings: 6:51pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:
And you think its your name that would distinguish you on the day of reckoning? Allah looks at the heart of men... Your deeds and actions would identify you as a muslim,not arabic nomenclature

You say you are a convinced (not default) muslim, what innovation BTW
You know what Allah does
So what is the position of Allah on naming people?
A default muslim knows it let alone a convinced Muslim
So, out with it. Tell
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Afam4eva(m): 6:52pm On Feb 05, 2013
seunajia:

Your assertions are contrary to the OP's. unless the OP is saying people shouldn't bear Islamic names at-all.

Again, you religion is your identity. If you're not ashamed to be a muslim, you'll bear a muslim name. And bearing a muslim name does not make you less Yoruba or Igbo. Why do Doctors put Dr. In front of their names?

Yes I want people to identify me as a muslim.

My name is Abubakar Omobowale Balogun. I'm a muslim and proudly yoruba cool
You're getting it all wrong. Pls tell us which names are Islamic names and we will take it from there.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by maclatunji: 6:54pm On Feb 05, 2013
donroxy: @Topic
Allah has 99names in the Quran......If Op belief in Allah,he will Belief in the Quran.....Allah called himself different 99names.........if I therefore decided to give my son/daughter One of Allah 99names......whats the problem of Op!!! Muslims are enjoined to give their Children Names of Allah,Mohammed,Sahabah....... And U re not ''compelled'' to give this names but only ''enjoined''........!!!

The names u give ur child identify what he/she associate with religiously,yoruba names suggest,she is a Yoruba......Islamic/arabic names(whatever u call it) suggest,she is a muslim!!!

Allah did not say,in d Quran, that ......He is ''Babatunde'' nor ''Oye-labi''...... Nor ''Owoniyi''...... He(swt) call Himself(swt) ''Gafur'','Kabir'', ''Qodir'' et all!!!...... And Good Muslim is enjoined to associate with Allah and His names!!!

@Op
Ki lo de, iwo nikan ko ni Yooba...... Ma pe Aja lobo fun wa joor(u can't confuse us).......Adisi le,Rikishi,Ote ati Tembelekun......Hypocrite!!!

LOL
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 6:56pm On Feb 05, 2013
BetaThings:

You say you are a convinced (not default) muslim, what innovation BTW
You know what Allah does
So what is the position of Allah on naming people?
A default muslim knows it let alone a convinced Muslim
So, out with it. Tell

I see you are loosing it
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by ayinba1(f): 6:57pm On Feb 05, 2013

And you think its your name that would distinguish you on the day of reckoning? Allah looks at the heart of men... Your deeds and actions would identify you as a muslim,not arabic nomenclature

Mr. Justaqad,

All your good deeds and actions would not suffice to identify you as a muslim. If you die "John Paul" as a muslim, you will be raised and judged as a muslim. If you die Pastor Ibrahim as a non muslim, you will be raised that way and judged as such.

Let there be no confusion, I hope this helps.

You proposed that by bearing Islamic names which are Arabic, we are losing our identity to the Arabs.

I counter that by saying, the choice of an individual to use his/her muslim name is more in line with wanting to be identified as a muslim. That does not change your tribe/nationality/race/gender/political affiliation.....

Read through my posts again and let me know where you need more clarity.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by seunajia: 6:57pm On Feb 05, 2013
Afam4eva:
You're getting it all wrong. Pls tell us which names are Islamic names and we will take it from there.

Really? undecided
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by aribisala0(m): 6:59pm On Feb 05, 2013
seunajia:

Yes I want people to identify me as a muslim. My name highlights both my Islamic and Yoruba heritage.

My name is Abubakar Omobowale Balogun. I'm a muslim and a proud yoruba cool
The trouble with a lot of muslims(and) christians is they hardly read their scripture. WHAT IS A MUSLIM NAME Please tell us. The names YOU Call Muslim names are NOT muslim names they are Arabic names which Arab muslims,christians on non-believers alike ALL bear.
Does the Quran Talk about names which muslims shoul bear anywhere??. Do a little bit of research and expand your knowledge
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by BetaThings: 6:59pm On Feb 05, 2013
donroxy:
....Hypocrite!!!

@Justaqad
I believe that you are convinced enough to know that you have been called a hypocrite
Over to you!
Answer the charge, Doing at at the level of a default muslim will even suffice
We are waiting!
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Afam4eva(m): 6:59pm On Feb 05, 2013
seunajia:

Really? undecided
Yes really...Are Islamic names only Arabic names? Answer that and we'll take it from there.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by ayinba1(f): 7:01pm On Feb 05, 2013
aribisala0:
The trouble with a lot of muslims(and) christians is they hardly read their scripture. WHAT IS A MUSLIM NAME Please tell us. The names YOU Call Muslim names are NOT muslim names they are Arabic names which Arab muslims,christians on non-believers alike ALL bear.
Does the Quran Talk about names which muslims shoul bear anywhere??

Are you a muslim? If not, how do you come about defining what an Islamic/ Muslim name is?
Do people just post for the sake of it?
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by seunajia: 7:02pm On Feb 05, 2013
Mr. Justaqad,

All your good deeds and actions would not suffice to identify you as a muslim. If you die "John Paul" as a muslim, you will be raised and judged as a muslim. If you die Pastor Ibrahim as a non muslim, you will be raised that way and judged as such.

Let there be no confusion, I hope this helps.

You proposed that by bearing Islamic names which are Arabic, we are losing our identity to the Arabs.

I counter that by saying, the choice of an individual to use his/her muslim name is more in line with wanting to be identified as a muslim. That does not change your tribe/nationality/race/gender/political affiliation.....

Read through my posts again and let me know where you need more clarity.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by aribisala0(m): 7:03pm On Feb 05, 2013

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by BetaThings: 7:04pm On Feb 05, 2013
aribisala0:
Does the Quran Talk about names which muslims shoul bear anywhere??

With due respect, non-muslims should not declare positions before asking question!
Of course a Muslim who converts to Christianity and keeps that Muslim name is still bearing a Muslim name

The answer your second question is YES
We are told what to name people
That is actually the ignorance that a "convinced muslim" is exhibiting here
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:04pm On Feb 05, 2013
hadbak:

I don't want to agree wit u on d bases that if u bear Abubakar u are seen as an arab, If u say a muslim I agree. No doubt d name may have an arab origin nevertheless, Arabic is the language of d Quran n d messenger, so if u bear an arabic name ur simply identifying as a muslim n not an arab. Its not a coincidence/mistake that d quran is in d arabic language but of Allah's desires. This is how u as a muslim shld see it rather than saying ur losing ur identity by ur name sounding arabic in nature while ur not an arab. Ur identity as a muslim shld be more important/shld superceed any identity. God creater us all into various tribes n nation but stil choose Arabic language for His religion... don't u think if He desire He could have made us into one nation/tribe? Its a blessing to the arabs for Allah to esteem Arabic language by making it d Quran language, so don't hold it against them.. If the quran language hadn't been arabic n yet d quran came from the arabs then, I wil have a problem if u bear an arab name(abubakar) else I dnt see y u shld stress ur nerves..

slave

2 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Nobody: 7:05pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

[b]if i bear Abubakar the first thing that comes to your mind is,(arab)[/b]while i am yoruba.your name is your identity.i went through a lot trying to explain to people i am yoruba. if an arab converts to Christianity he/she need not change name.and you sure know Christianity is not an arab thing.the point is
IF AN ARAB CANNOT CHANGE HIS NAME WHY SHOULD I?

No, if you bear Abubakar, teh first thing that comes to anybody's mind is you are a Muslim, before the thought of Arab, if any.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Afam4eva(m): 7:07pm On Feb 05, 2013
ayinba1:

Are you a muslim? If not, how do you come about defining what an Islamic/ Muslim name is?
His assertion is in order. Can you tell us what names the Arab Christians bear? Let me paint a scenario for you...

Imagine an American becomes an "obatala" worshiper and adopts the name "Adewale". Does that make the name exclusive to Obatala worshipers? Don't Christians and Muslims bear this name?
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 7:07pm On Feb 05, 2013
BetaThings:

@Justaqad
I believe that you are convinced enough to know that you have been called a hypocrite
Over to you!
Answer the charge, Doing at at the level of a default muslim will even suffice
We are waiting!

Does it matter what you think of me?
I am a convinced muslim... Is that not enough?read all my topics and post then draw your conclusion.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by maclatunji: 7:08pm On Feb 05, 2013
ayinba1:

And this is where the contention lies. If a yoruba man says "myname is Olatunde" you do not know if he is Muslim, Christian or Pagan. With an Islamic name, the muslim damned all odds and stated " I am a muslim". It is a matter of choice. Be a visible muslim OR not.

Not bearing a muslim name does not make you less of a muslim, IMO, but having a muslim name DOES NOT make you lose your culture.

Tell me about it. Your name says so much about you and can be a great reflection of the things you hold dear. OP got things mixed-up when he mistook his desire to be known as Yoruba above anything else as some sort of "superior enlightenment" over other Yoruba Muslims who would like to be Muslims above every other thing.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by jude33084(m): 7:08pm On Feb 05, 2013
maclatunji:

I am getting your position now but you are getting it wrong by stating that using Muslim first names is losing your identity to Arabs. That would be correct if names as 'mac bin tunji' were pervasive amongst Yoruba people. Islam is a total concept and nothing identifies you as a Muslim more than your first name.

You see Muslims calling themselves Abubakar after Abu Bakr, have you seen any Muslim named Abu Jahl or Abu Lahab?

I still say you are insecure. Yes, use your traditional names but this your theory screams out that you are personally insecure about your religion.

I guess by your logic, Herbert Macaulay and Henry Carr stopped being Yoruba men because of their English names.

It is a pitty that you are totally lost. undecided

As a Christian I tell people my native Ɲαмe, the one that identify with my tribe or region.

Not only in Islam, τhis problem is also deep rooted in Christianity. Some pastors believe that wearing suit to preach draw you closer to God. Τhis is where you now see some of our Yoruba brothers behaving like somebody from Iran because he believes that Arabs are better Muslims.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Afam4eva(m): 7:08pm On Feb 05, 2013
Jarus:

No, if you bear Abubakar, teh first thing that comes to anybody's mind is you are a Muslim, before the thought of Arab, if any.

Do you that there are Arab Christians with the name "Abubakar"? Are they Muslims too?
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by maclatunji: 7:10pm On Feb 05, 2013
ayinba1:

They do, a lot!
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 7:11pm On Feb 05, 2013
maclatunji:

Tell me about it. Your name says so much about you and can be a great reflection of the things you hold dear. OP got things mixed-up when he mistook his desire to be known as Yoruba above anything else as some sort of "superior enlightenment" over other Yoruba Muslims who would like to be Muslims above every other thing.

You don't surprise anymore.. Your logic is flawed
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Nobody: 7:11pm On Feb 05, 2013
tpia@:

i dont think you're contradicting the poster.

this is what he was saying, to the best of my knowledge.

most nigerians give their kids an ethnic name as well as a religious one.

even oyibos and westerners look at you somehow if you're foreign [to them] and yet none of your names are.
I am contradicting the Op.....

There is difference between Indigenous name and religion Name..... !!!

If u vault muslims for taking up Arabic indigenous names(not Islamic) names.....it is understandable......!!!

The Op failed to distinguished between Arab indigenous name and Islamic names he(Op) even said there is nothing like ''Islamic names'' which is IGNORANCE!!!

Not all Arab is muslim and not all muslim is arab!!!

If ISLAM emanate from Igboland and Prophet(saw) is an Igboman and God communicated with Him(saw) in Igbo........thus Giving HIS(God) names in Igbo which is scripturally documented and also enjoined All adherents to bear such BEAUTIFUL names..... !!!

Then, why shd I not have CHUKWU-EBUKA has my Religion name!!! Which thus doesn't mean am paying Homage to Igboland but my God!!!

@Op
Most Islamic names were not bear by Arabs before the advent of Islam.......come and argue it Op!!!

Let that Op come and tell me the Number of Arab that were bearing Abdul Gaffar ,abdul Qodir et all before the advent of Islam!!!

Islam is Totality if u can drop the Belief of ur Culture,Heritage,Norms.....forefathers then Drop the Names too!!

Am saying all the above cuz Op claimed a muslim if He is a Christian....it is gonna be another dimension entirely!!!

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 7:12pm On Feb 05, 2013
maclatunji:

They do, a lot!

Is there any such thing as Islamic Name
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by BetaThings: 7:13pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

Does it matter what you think of me?
I am a convinced muslim... Is that not enough?read all my topics and post then draw your conclusion.
It does matter very much that a "muslim" is called a hypocrite and he keeps quiet. It speaks a lot
Who is a convinced muslim? Who is a default muslim? Who makes you the judge of that
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by aribisala0(m): 7:14pm On Feb 05, 2013
BetaThings:

With due respect, non-muslims should not declare positions before asking question!
Of course a Muslim who converts to Christianity and keeps that Muslim name is still bearing a Muslim name

The answer your second question is YES
We are told what to name people
That is actually the ignorance that a "convinced muslim" is exhibiting here

Please speak plainly I am struggling to understand your complex grammar.
What I am saying is NOT all Arabs are Muslims and many of the names in the Quran were used by Arabs when they were pagans and long before prophet Mohammed. Now an Arab who is a Christian or Adherent of any other faith still bears names Like Isaac Abraham Ishmael Jacob but in the Arabic form.Those names are the property of ALL Arabs whether believer or not.
Please tell us the Sura that tells you HOW to name people and where it says such names MUST be Arabic
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:14pm On Feb 05, 2013
alaoeri: Don't know why the op is digging issue out of nothing or what 'll he say to lagosian bearing bucknor, smith, pedro so they have also lost their identity to the white abi.

yes thats right. they too have lost their identity.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 7:15pm On Feb 05, 2013
donroxy:
I am contradicting the Op.....

There is difference between Indigenous name and religion Name..... !!!

If u vault muslims for taking up Arabic indigenous names(not Islamic) names.....it is understandable......!!!

The Op failed to distinguished between Arab indigenous name and Islamic names he(Op) even said there is nothing like ''Islamic names'' which is IGNORANCE!!!

Not all Arab is muslim and not all muslim is arab!!!

If ISLAM emanate from Igboland and Prophet(saw) is an Igboman and God communicated with Him(saw) in Igbo........thus Giving HIS(God) names in Igbo which is scripturally documented and also enjoined All adherents to bear such BEAUTIFUL names..... !!!

Then, why shd I not have CHUKWU-EBUKA has my Religion name!!! Which thus doesn't mean am paying Homage to Igboland but my God!!!

@Op
Most Islamic names were not bear by Arabs before the advent of Islam.......come and argue it Op!!!

Let that Op come and tell me the Number of Arab that were bearing Abdul Gaffar ,abdul Qodir et all before the advent of Islam!!!

Islam is Totality if u can drop the Belief of ur Culture,Heritage,Norms.....forefathers then Drop the Names too!!

Am saying all the above cuz Op claimed a muslim if He is a Christian....it is gonna be another dimension entirely!!!

The only culture I can let go is one that's contrary to islamic teachings. But saying I should let go of my heritage to embrace arabic heritage is crazy..
You have lost it
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:15pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

same issue. we should learn to stick to our certain cultural heritage. imagine honorable tbaba not having any tribal names just arabic.gush

that is just sickening. he can work as a slave in my home.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by BetaThings: 7:15pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

Is there any such thing as Islamic Name
Of course
A convinced muslim should not be asking that question
He should be educating us

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (18) (Reply)

Guide On How To Slaughter Your Ram On Eid Il Adha / How An American Lady Converted To Islam / Do You Know Who Killed Abu Jahl ? ¿ It Was Children ! Click To Read More

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.