Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,273 members, 7,807,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:39 PM

Tolerance Is The Key - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Tolerance Is The Key (749 Views)

5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance / Freedom, Criticism And Tolerance In Islam / Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tolerance Is The Key by justaqad(m): 10:23am On Feb 05, 2013
in a world where conflict is increasing, a Muslim should be a bridge- builder and a peacemaker. It was due to the Muslim practice of Islamic ideals of respect and tolerance that the key of the holiest Christian Shrine in Jerusalem, the church of the Holy Sepulcher, remains entrusted with a Muslim family, as it has been for over 1400 years.

Muslims are commanded to deal justly and kindly with their non-Muslim neighbors or friends. Therefore, there is nothing wrong in exchanging gifts with them. Muslims are allowed to congratulate non-Muslims on their festive days and this becomes more of an obligation if the non-Muslims offer their greetings on Islamic festive occasions. Allah Almighty says: "When you are greeted with a greeting, greet in return with what is better than it, or at least return it equally…" (An-Nisa’ 4: 86)

Muslims can participate in national celebrations and festivities as citizens of those lands while observing Islamic manners and controls in all matters.

As for joining non-Muslims in celebrating their holidays, i present the fatwa of Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, A Senior Lecturer and an Islamic Scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The fatwa states: “Muslims are allowed to partake of the feasts and celebrations of non-Muslims so long as they stay away from their specific religious rituals. While remaining steadfast to their beliefs as Muslims, they are allowed to join them in their feasts in order to reciprocate kindness with kindness. By doing so they may even be helping them remove their misconceptions about Islam being a fanatical religion. So go ahead and participate in their feasts, and let them know the true image of Islam.

Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, was so accommodating of Christians that according to the two earliest Islamic historians, Ibn e Saad and Ibn Hisham, the Prophet even allowed a delegation of 60 Byzantine Christians from Najran in Yemen to worship in his own mosque in Madinah. Lead by their bishop (Usquf), they had come to discuss a number of issues with him. When time of their prayer came, they asked the Prophet's permission to perform this in the mosque. He answered, "conduct your service here in the mosque. It is a place consecrated to God."

God expects us to stay away from mocking the religious beliefs of others, no matter how much we disagree with them. He says in the Quran: "And insult not those whom they (disbelievers) worship besides God, lest they insult God wrongfully without knowledge. Thus We have made fair-seeming to each people its own doings; then to their Lord is their return and He shall then inform them of all that they used to do" (Quran, 6:108).

We also have to remember that even if for many nominal Christians, the celebration is not really about participating in religious traditions, Christmas is a time for families to get together. In a number of cases it is the only time of year families get together, either because family members are scattered in different parts of the country or the world, because of communication and relationship problems.

P.S (edited)
Re: Tolerance Is The Key by hadbak: 6:18pm On Feb 05, 2013
Not again!
Re: Tolerance Is The Key by BetaThings: 3:08pm On Feb 06, 2013
hadbak: Not again!
Hahahahaha

1 Like

Re: Tolerance Is The Key by BetaThings: 3:16pm On Feb 06, 2013
justaqad:
We also have to remember that even if for many nominal Christians, the celebration is not really about participating in religious traditions, Christmas is a time for families to get together. In a number of cases it is the only time of year families get together, either because family members are scattered in different parts of the country or the world, because of communication and relationship problems.

P.S (edited)

Your Christian admirers listen to you more than they do us. Alhamdu li Llah, the ruse might jut work
So what is your advice to them?
Or are they perfect?

When people watching football match in Congo are burnt to death in a tanker explosion close to them, must they claim it is the deed of Nigerian muslims against Christians
Why is a magical v trick presented as sharia punishment on a toddler?
Oh, the imaginary Egyptian woman hacked to death by her husband for reading the Bible. When will Christians repent and retract it?
Re: Tolerance Is The Key by justaqad(m): 3:32pm On Feb 06, 2013
BetaThings:

Your Christian admirers listen to you more than they do us. Alhamdu li Llah, the ruse might jut work
So what is your advice to them?
Or are they perfect?

When people watching football match in Congo are burnt to death in a tanker explosion close to them, must they claim it is the deed of Nigerian muslims against Christians
Why is a magical v trick presented as sharia punishment on a toddler?
Oh, the imaginary Egyptian woman hacked to death by her husband for reading the Bible. When will Christians repent and retract it?

how does your ranting correlate with my post?
smh. you cant take away my deen.
Re: Tolerance Is The Key by BetaThings: 8:17pm On Feb 06, 2013
justaqad:

how does your ranting correlate with my post?

Muslims don't rant!
Do you?

justaqad:
smh. you cant take away my deen.
No human being can take away another's deen
The Qur'an is very very clear on this
It is in each person's hand

I love the way you practice "your deen".
Hahaahahahahahahahah

Muslim should tolerate Christians.
But Christians can continue to besmirch the name of Islam with painstakingly-fabricated stories of monumental atrocities
It does not bother you one bit
Are the minds conceiving such unspeakable deeds not dangerously too creative.
And going ahead to declare that the incidents have happened and were perpetrated by muslims is hateful and shows intolerance.
Don't the authors deserve some advice on tolerance?

You should turn down your office radio or Tv one Friday and listen to the sermon from a nearby mosque
They will talk about adl - pay attention
Re: Tolerance Is The Key by tbaba1234: 8:54pm On Feb 06, 2013
@op I don't know if your problem is naivety or just a lack of knowledge.

Anyway, i wish you the best. I hope this is just a bad phase.
Re: Tolerance Is The Key by justaqad(m): 7:05am On Feb 07, 2013
tbaba1234: @op I don't know if your problem is naivety or just a lack of knowledge.

Anyway, i wish you the best. I hope this is just a bad phase.

smh
Re: Tolerance Is The Key by justaqad(m): 7:06am On Feb 07, 2013
BetaThings:

Muslim should tolerate Christians.
But Christians can continue to besmirch the name of Islam with painstakingly-fabricated stories of monumental atrocities
It does not bother you one bit

two wrongs can never make a right.
now you are revealing yourself
Re: Tolerance Is The Key by BetaThings: 8:15am On Feb 07, 2013
justaqad:

So you tell one of two opposing parties to be tolerant
He tells you the other party has been victimising him
You retort that two wrongs (what is the retaliatory wrong of the one that complains again BTW) don;t make a right
But you say nothing to the one who is accused of victimisation
If that is not double standard, I wonder what else is

That is the reason why no Christian society or group have been able to practice that myth of turning the other cheek. It is impracticable
If I am wrong cite one example of a Christian society or group that does not have an army or refrains from responding to an attack
What you recommend is unjust and impracticable.
Tell the offender the truth because you have claimed repeatedly that you will not hide the truth

Please. Muslims believe in justice - you should attend a mosque sermon one of these days and learn that

justaqad:

1. I have never pretended to be other than a muslim. Nothing more to reveal. If you disagree, I await the denouement
2. YOU actually should stop playing the role of a trojan horse
3. There is freedom of belief and DISBELIEF in Nigeria

Resolve these contradictions
Cheers01:
Wrong. over 1 billion muslims in the world. Had that been true, you would be ashes by now. There are good muslims

justaqad:
most muslims despise non-muslims
Re: Tolerance Is The Key by justaqad(m): 8:36am On Feb 07, 2013
BetaThings:

So you tell one of two opposing parties to be tolerant
He tells you the other party has been victimising him
You retort that two wrongs (what is the retaliatory wrong of the one that complains again BTW) don;t make a right
But you say nothing to the one who is accused of victimisation
If that is not double standard, I wonder what else is

That is the reason why no Christian society or group have been able to practice that myth of turning the other cheek. It is impracticable
If I am wrong cite one example of a Christian society or group that does not have an army or refrains from responding to an attack
What you recommend is unjust and impracticable.
Tell the offender the truth because you have claimed repeatedly that you will not hide the truth

Please. Muslims believe in justice - you should attend a mosque sermon one of these days and learn that

1. I have never pretended to be other than a muslim. Nothing more to reveal. If you disagree, I await the denouement
2. YOU actually should stop playing the role of a trojan horse
3. There is freedom of belief and DISBELIEF in Nigeria

Resolve these contradictions

i see, you cant fill an already filled cup. all i could do is lol.
Re: Tolerance Is The Key by BetaThings: 9:41am On Feb 07, 2013
Tolerance Indeed
2 wrongs don't make a right
Easy to preach
No matter how the enemies of Islam pretend, we would prevail
Alhmadu li Llah for His guidance and our proper adab

justaqad:

justaqad:

do you need weed to digest and understand my position?
smh

justaqad:
and what makes you think i am not a seeker?
your reasoning is clouded

justaqad:

you are an intolerant muslim. no need ranting

justaqad:
Typical example of a default muslim... Always going to the alfa,why you use your brain in sending sms and pings.
Epic fall

justaqad: you are pathetic. *spits*

justaqad: you are sick you need help.

1 Like

Re: Tolerance Is The Key by justaqad(m): 9:52am On Feb 07, 2013
BetaThings: Tolerance Indeed
Easy to preach

lol.
Re: Tolerance Is The Key by vedaxcool(m): 9:57am On Feb 07, 2013
^
Lol grin reality bites!

Re: Tolerance Is The Key by justaqad(m): 10:01am On Feb 07, 2013
vedaxcool: ^
Lol grin reality bites!

i am realistic.
hurts doesn't it?
Re: Tolerance Is The Key by justaqad(m): 10:09am On Feb 07, 2013
BetaThings: Tolerance Indeed
Easy to preach

Adab indeed.lol

justaqad:
where is the insult? angry

justaqad:

do you need weed to digest and understand my position?
smh
read his post...

justaqad:
and what makes you think i am not a seeker?
your reasoning is clouded
read his posts about me. and where is the insult? angry angry

justaqad:

you are an intolerant muslim. no need ranting
you do not need google for that. Senator Mac's post will vindicate me.

justaqad:
Typical example of a default muslim... Always going to the alfa,why you use your brain in sending sms and pings.
Epic fall

when a muslim fail to think for himself, i refer to him/her as a default kinda muslim. yet again where is the insult?smh

justaqad: you are pathetic. *spits*
so? angry angry

justaqad: you are sick you need help.
when you are covering the truth, yes you are sick.
Re: Tolerance Is The Key by BetaThings: 11:04am On Feb 07, 2013
justaqad:
Adab indeed.lol

when a muslim fail to think for himself, i refer to him/her as a default kinda muslim. yet again where is the insult?smh
when you are covering the truth, yes you are sick.

[size=16pt]وَقُلْ جَاء الْحَقُّ وَزَهَقَ الْبَاطِلُ إِنَّ الْبَاطِلَ كَانَ زَهُوقًا[/size]
Re: Tolerance Is The Key by justaqad(m): 11:12am On Feb 07, 2013
BetaThings:

[size=16pt]وَقُلْ جَاء الْحَقُّ وَزَهَقَ الْبَاطِلُ إِنَّ الْبَاطِلَ كَانَ زَهُوقًا[/size]

INDEED

(1) (Reply)

Is Public Display Of Affection Allowed In Islam? / Be Prepared, Don't Miss The Night Of Majesty (lailatul Quadry) / Sunnah Media Watch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.