Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,449 members, 7,808,602 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:07 PM

Help: Need A Rugged Laptop With Good Specifications, For Video Editing - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Help: Need A Rugged Laptop With Good Specifications, For Video Editing (2552 Views)

A Rugged Mini Laptop For Available For Sale In Abuja / What Is The Most Rugged Laptop? / Help: Need To Merge My Unallocated Harddisk Space Back (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help: Need A Rugged Laptop With Good Specifications, For Video Editing by Pharyn(m): 6:52pm On Mar 09, 2008
Hi Nairalanders.

I'm into Video Editing, currently using a Toshiba A100: 1Gb, 80Gb, 1.86Ghz Solo, etc etc Laptop, with some external devices (Harddisks).

I found out that the laptop can only render VCD jobs successfully but begins to cry and complain when I have a DVD job.

I understand that desktops are the best for this kind of work but I am a very mobile person and I need some kind of work done on the move.

Please if you have relevant information on a very good laptop as well as its price, I will really appreciate your reply.

You can mail me on pharyntee@yahoo.com
Re: Help: Need A Rugged Laptop With Good Specifications, For Video Editing by Nobody: 7:30am On Mar 10, 2008
my laptop is a dell precision m90, it has a 256mb nvidia quadro fx 1500m card, a 2.0ghz core2duo processor, 2gb of ram(expandable to four) a 4mb L2 cache, 17 inch widescreen (1920 x 1200) . it cost me over 300,000. thats the sort of laptop you need to do that sort of work. google 'mobile workstation'. it is unlikely that  such laptops are locally available. i'll recommend you get in touch with brume 2020 on the technology market page. furthermore, you can check out nvidia's website and search for 'quadro fx mobile' you will find links to mobile workstations by dell, lenovo , HP so you can visit the sites and configure the laptop to the specs you want and can afford. cheers.
Re: Help: Need A Rugged Laptop With Good Specifications, For Video Editing by ramonmulti(m): 12:15pm On Mar 10, 2008
Yes i have this spec below and i think it will be good for your job.

Toshiba Sattelite A205-S5804
- Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
- Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor ( 1.6 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB )
- 15.4" WXGA widescreen LCD (TFT) Display(1280 x 800)
- 1GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
- Intel GMA X3100 (251MB Shared Graphics Mem)
- 120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
- Double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW
- 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
- Microsoft(R) Works

Price :- =N=115,000

You can call me for more information. 08033924627. Anayo. Victor.
Re: Help: Need A Rugged Laptop With Good Specifications, For Video Editing by Nobody: 12:38pm On Mar 10, 2008
@ poster, a note of warning: if u are doing anything graphics intensive DO NOT go near an[b] intel[/b] graphics card. demand Nvidia or ATI (at least 256 mb )

also, vista is not it if u intend to use your system for commercial( business) purposes. it will hog that 1gb of ram like no mans buiness.
Re: Help: Need A Rugged Laptop With Good Specifications, For Video Editing by miceuud: 6:02pm On Mar 11, 2008
i think what u need is the dv 9000 graphic editing pc,basically meant for editing,with nvidia geforce graphic card with a dedicated memory of 512mb,2gig ram and its a core duo,with tv output port ,with and s video port and a firewire.call mike on 08028335838
Re: Help: Need A Rugged Laptop With Good Specifications, For Video Editing by Nobody: 7:33am On Mar 12, 2008
miceuud:

i think what u need is the dv 9000 graphic editing pc,basically meant for editing,with nvidia geforce graphic card with a dedicated memory of 512mb,2gig ram and its a core duo,with tv output port ,with and s video port and a firewire.call mike on 08028335838

please stick to what you do best- selling laptops and don't come around here bullshitting us that an entertainment notebook has suddenly becoema 'graphic editing pc' angry tongue
Re: Help: Need A Rugged Laptop With Good Specifications, For Video Editing by brume2020: 9:57pm On Mar 17, 2008
oyb:

my laptop is a dell precision m90, it has a 256mb nvidia quadro fx 1500m card, a 2.0ghz core2duo processor, 2gb of ram(expandable to four) a 4mb L2 cache, 17 inch widescreen (1920 x 1200) . it cost me over 300,000. thats the sort of laptop you need to do that sort of work. google 'mobile workstation'. it is unlikely that such laptops are locally available. i'll recommend you get in touch with brume 2020 on the technology market page. furthermore, you can check out nvidia's website and search for 'quadro fx mobile' you will find links to mobile workstations by dell, lenovo , HP so you can visit the sites and configure the laptop to the specs you want and can afford. cheers.

Oyb,

Thanks for the recommendation. I sincerely appreciate that.

Pharyn:

Hi Nairalanders.

I'm into Video Editing, currently using a Toshiba A100: 1Gb, 80Gb, 1.86Ghz Solo, etc etc Laptop, with some external devices (Harddisks).

I found out that the laptop can only render VCD jobs successfully but begins to cry and complain when I have a DVD job.

I understand that desktops are the best for this kind of work but I am a very mobile person and I need some kind of work done on the move.

Please if you have relevant information on a very good laptop as well as its price, I will really appreciate your reply.

You can mail me on pharyntee@yahoo.com

Pharyn,

As a matter of fact I have a laptop coming in early April that is perhaps close in capability to what you require. It is still hot off the press, matter of fact it is not yet advertised.

Here are the specs :-

- HP Pavilion dv9700t
- Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Processor T7250 (2.00 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
- 17.0" WXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1440 x 900)
- 3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
- 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
- HP Imprint (Radiance) + Fingerprint Reader + Webcam + Microphone
- Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection and Bluetooth(TM)
- 320GB 5400RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (160GB x 2)
- LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support
- High Capacity 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
- Microsoft(R) Works 9.0

I dont know if this laptop is particularly suited to your Video Editing requirements but it is endowed with the following powerful features that I think make it worth considering further :-

- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Processor T7250 (2.00 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
- 17.0" WXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1440 x 900)
- 3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
- 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
- 320GB 5400RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (160GB x 2)

In the event that this laptop falls short of your expectations I would be glad to quote you a custom configured laptop of your choice. if you require more information, please email me at brume2020@yahoo.co.uk.

regards,

Brume
Re: Help: Need A Rugged Laptop With Good Specifications, For Video Editing by brume2020: 10:38pm On Mar 17, 2008
Ok,

I did some quick and dirty research to identify video cards that are suited for video editing. What I have found is that as far as Nvidia cards go, the Quadro FX is likely specifically designed for CAD and 3d type applications while the GEForce Family is for Gaming. Read some details here :-

http://www.notebookforums.com/thread207834.html

Generally, the GeForce GPUs are designed for gaming while the Quadro GPUs are designed for CAD and 3D type applications. If you do a lot of gaming, then the GeForce GPU will work better, if you do a lot of photo, video, CAD work then the Quadro is the one you want.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadrofx_family.html
http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_family.html

In all likelihood to get the best bang for your buck you will need to configure a laptop to match your specific requirements. I will be glad to help out with determining the probable price of your desired config once you have that settled.

regards,

Brume

(1) (Reply)

How To Crack Easy Cafe Server Timer / Help: My Computer Does Not Display Subtitles / Mtn Benin Sim And Browsing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.