Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,420 members, 7,808,509 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:51 PM

Travelling To Canada - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada (453923 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (189) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada by aydewale: 9:09pm On Jun 22, 2008
Its simple, albeit it depends on the area where u want to do ur LL.M. Whether its corporate/commercial, Energy, finace, Environmental law etc. I first chose an area and then applied to a particular school. Before I applied, I sent a mail to the cordinator of graduate studies LL.M and the lady told me what I needed to do and how I could apply for scholarship. I did as she said and supported with prayers and with the mercy of God, I got it.

Importantly u need a high G.P say like 4.0/5 on the average and at least 2.1 from Uni and Law Skol.even with all these, its the grace of God that is most important.

My own skol has two streams of LL.M classes.
Re: Travelling To Canada by megastu(m): 2:41pm On Jun 23, 2008
Aydewale,

God bless you and i really pray that your Permit comes out soon. Canada is good. I did an LLM in amsterdam, but it wasnt easy cos i paid all the fees myself. I work presently in Lagos. Where do u work now? send to my box at mibisnow@yahoo.co.uk. Let me know any two schools i can apply for. I got a 2.1 from Law School, but no be 4.0 i get for uni oh. Thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada by olubunmi80: 6:02pm On Jun 23, 2008
please every one i have just been refused a uk study visa so i want to apply to canada for sept i chose carleton university for an mba. i finished from unilag did masscom and i have a 2/1. i also have a good sponsor im appying online please does any one know if im doing a gmat and toefl i ned all the infos ican get to secure admmission to the school i will appreciate all the infos i can get thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada by Ezinwannem: 6:13pm On Jun 23, 2008
I suppose on the school website, what you are required to do should be there. Check well or e-mail them. Also, check if Fall (sept.) admission is still open cuz as far as I am concerned, it might not but I might be wrong, if it is not, check if they do Winter Admission (Jan). And for the Embassy, if you are to be attending uni. in Canada diz sept., u should have submitted your documents to da Embassay 3 months prior to your study date. As of now, the Embassy is close to review applications submitted,
Re: Travelling To Canada by olubunmi80: 7:03pm On Jun 23, 2008
thnk u so much i have checked the schol the addmision is still open bt im not sure of the embassy not collecting applications please how do i get this info
thanks a great deal im still online
Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 7:40pm On Jun 23, 2008
olubunmi80:

please every one i have just been refused a uk study visa so i want to apply to canada for sept i chose carleton university for an mba. i finished from unilag did masscom and i have a 2/1. i also have a good sponsor im appying online please does any one know if im doing a gmat and toefl i ned all the infos ican get to secure admmission to the school i will appreciate all the infos i can get thanks

In most cases, you'd need GMAT for an MBA in Canada. Only a few universities waive it for prospective students (perhaps Engineers with some good experience, etc). As for TOEFL, most universities waive it if they know or you insist that you are from en English speaking country and you've studied in English during ur undergrad. I'd advice you to contact the admissions office directly before you make a decision whether or not to write it.

However, to be honest, I dont think any university will be accepting applications for Fall admission for international students at this time (It's less than 10 days to July). If they do, the embassy will likely reject your applicaition based on the timing unless a miracle occurs. You best or rather safe bet is to look for a good uni that accepts for January and book to write your GMAT asap.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Ezinwannem: 8:01pm On Jun 23, 2008
@olubunmi80, follow Delta's advise, Itz good news that their admission for sept. is still open but the Embassy is closed now reviewing sept. applications, I know cuz the skool my cuzzin got admission at, told my aunt to do everything and submit the applictaion last 2 weeks cuz the embassy would close which they are now. I think their number should be in the application form. If it is not avaliable, differ your admission or apply for Winter (Jan.) as I recommended b4. Good luck
Re: Travelling To Canada by olubunmi80: 8:46pm On Jun 23, 2008
thank you very much for ur prompt response. i guess i have to leave it till january , but when is best time to submit an application to the embassy for a january addmission? also please do u have any ideas as regards taking the gmat here in nigeria? im so sorry im just a novice to all these things the uk one didnt require that. thanks so much again im counting on ur good advice in the coming months so i can successfully pull this thru. i will also like infos abt accommodation , part time jobs and general living expenses for a nigerian student coming to canada. thanks very much
Re: Travelling To Canada by Ezinwannem: 9:10pm On Jun 23, 2008
You Welcome. Always remember that you have to submit your application 3 months prior to the month your skool will resume, so for Jan. admission, submit your application in September to the embassy. I don’t know anything about GMAT so I guess you have to make inquiry about that and be sure if the school you are applying to needs you to take it. As for info about accommodations etc, I don’t know where you are trying to study, that is, where your school is located. You are allowed to work within the school for a start until you have completed 2 academic semesters in your skool and with good academic standing, then you are allowed to work off campus, which requires you to apply for a student work permit. Living expenses depends on you…rent can go 4rom 350-600 and den ur food, you know what your stomach can take…….
Re: Travelling To Canada by olubunmi80: 2:46pm On Jun 24, 2008
thanks eziwanem and delta07. i really appreciate what u re doing. i have started processing my addmission to sprout business school in carleton for an mba. its atwo year program and im told to get gmat score at least 550 and im making preparatios to do that. i want to know if one is required to pay all the fees for wo years b4 the school will give addmission and if there is a schorlarship how do one apply for it? also are there many nigerians in ottawa? what is the living condition there and can one get a partime job off campus quickly in order to save to pay the bal of ur fees. please those in carleton or are farmiliar wth the school should help i really need info cos i dont know a soul there and i wasnt even considering canada until i was turned down atuk. thanks a lot.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Ezinwannem: 3:13pm On Jun 24, 2008
So the ball is on ur court now so try and get da score or above it and da admission is urs. You are not required to pay any fee b4 admission is granted to you except for da usual application fee you have to pay. There is sure scholarship. Go back to the school website and get the information or e-mail the skool to get inquiry. The living condition is very good. Ottawa is a beautiful city, I used to live there myself. As I mentioned b4, u need to have completed 2 academic sections with good academic standing for u to be able to get a job off campus with government approved work permit (social insurance number, renewable every year) . Other than that, you are limited to just on campus jobs.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 3:14pm On Jun 24, 2008
olubunmi80:

thanks eziwanem and delta07. i really appreciate what u re doing. i have started processing my addmission to sprout business school in carleton for an mba. its atwo year program and im told to get gmat score at least 550 and im making preparatios to do that. i want to know if one is required to pay all the fees for wo years before the school will give addmission and if there is a schorlarship how do one apply for it? also are there many nigerians in ottawa? what is the living condition there and can one get a partime job off campus quickly in order to save to pay the bal of your fees. please those in carleton or are farmiliar wth the school should help i really need info because i don't know a soul there and i wasnt even considering canada until i was turned down atuk. thanks a lot.
Make sure you study hard (very hard) for your GMAT because with a good score (way above 550 probably >650) you can earn a good scholarship. However, most of these entrance scholarships have deadlines, so make sure you apply early. Browse the university's website to see what they have.

Your fees are due termly. You do not have to pay all 2yrs at once.

You can work on campus when you arrive (that's if you get a job, which I wont bet on). However, after 6mths, you are eligible for an open work permit which means you can work anywhere outside the university you get a job. Ottawa is an aight place. There is a Nigerian community there. . .also a few Nigerians in Carleton.

BTW, I'd advise you to pick at least 2 or 3 universities (instead of just Carleton). This way, u are not putting all your eggs in one basket. Goodluck.
Re: Travelling To Canada by kaysie83: 4:24pm On Jun 24, 2008
@Delta and Ezinwannem,  u guys took the words right out of my mouth, couldn't have said better myself.

@olubumni80,I am just wondering how you are going to study, write the gmat and still hand in  your application on time for the winter semester. Applying for a canadian study permit  is a full-time job on its own and the procedure is totally d/f from the uk study visa.  it can't be used as a last resort . You need to draw up a plan esp for the gmat, submitting your admission forms, and your visa application.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Ezinwannem: 4:36pm On Jun 24, 2008
I think he can still make it for the Winter semester depending on how quick he is because Winter semester starts in Jan,.

Thanks to delta, itz actually 6 months because datz how long 2 academic sections last (exclusing exam periods) tongue I assumed he knows how long each semester is

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada by aydewale: 6:00pm On Jun 24, 2008
@ Delta

Delta, I submitted my application around the 12th of May, nothing yet fro the Canadian High Commission. What's up in your view as the 30 working days is up. is this a cause for me to be happy or worried? could it be that they are verifying? what could they be verifying that is taking so ling?

Thank you.
Re: Travelling To Canada by aydewale: 6:03pm On Jun 24, 2008
@ Delta; Ezinwa; anybody else who has an idea.

Delta et al, I submitted my application around the 12th of May, nothing yet fro the Canadian High Commission. What's up in your view as the 30 working days is up. is this a cause for me to be happy or worried? could it be that they are verifying? what could they be verifying that is taking so ling?

Thank you.
Re: Travelling To Canada by marydre: 6:25pm On Jun 24, 2008
@aydewale when submitting your application did you include a pre-paid envelope not sealed? cos the embassy will return your documents tru that means and also inform you of any medical or interview
Re: Travelling To Canada by Ezinwannem: 6:29pm On Jun 24, 2008
@marydre, datz a good question to him cuz ma cuzzin waited more dan he was told but wen he finally got contacted, they asked him 2 go do medicals and return da passport. As of now, hez done everything and waiting on them
Re: Travelling To Canada by aydewale: 6:31pm On Jun 24, 2008
Yes! I did
Re: Travelling To Canada by aydewale: 6:34pm On Jun 24, 2008
@marydre

I tried to be as conscentious/ meticulous as possible, so that my application could be as error-free as possible. Tanx for the question.God bless u.
Re: Travelling To Canada by marydre: 6:37pm On Jun 24, 2008
k then be patience and pray. I understand what you are going through, just submitted my application for admission to four diff. schools in canada for winter 2009 and I hope to get admission.
Re: Travelling To Canada by marydre: 6:38pm On Jun 24, 2008
amen
Re: Travelling To Canada by aydewale: 6:45pm On Jun 24, 2008
@Ezinwanne; marydre; Delta et al

This is particularly amazing to me cos even the UK High Commission which receives up to 5 times the number of applications the Canadian commission receives processes in 15 working days. I know a number of colleagues doing the Masters in the UK who went last year, sure it did not exceed 15 working days.

Anyway its prayers. Does anyone know why it takes them so loooong? The UK has many more applications but less than half the time.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Ezinwannem: 7:05pm On Jun 24, 2008
@aydewale , Canadians have a way of doing their own stuff, the amount of applications they recieve does not matter. Although they need international students/immigrants, they just dont want what they cant handle in the future smiley There might be an increase in applications they recieved since every1 seems 2 study in Canada, Have patience, It happened 2 my cuzzin as I mentioned
Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 8:33pm On Jun 24, 2008
aydewale:

@ Delta; Ezinwa; anybody else who has an idea.

Delta et al, I submitted my application around the 12th of May, nothing yet fro the Canadian High Commission. What's up in your view as the[b] 30 working days [/b] is up. is this a cause for me to be happy or worried? could it be that they are verifying? what could they be verifying that is taking so ling?

Thank you.
Today is June 24. . .30 working days havent even expired (when u consider the numerous public holidays inbetween). Be patient. . .the only two answers u can get is YES or NO. If yes, u'd be required to go do medicals. That wud take another month. there's more than enough time to get ur required visa b4 the Fall so relax!
Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 8:34pm On Jun 24, 2008
aydewale:

@Ezinwanne; marydre; Delta et al

This is particularly amazing to me because even the UK High Commission which receives up to 5 times the number of applications the Canadian commission receives processes in 15 working days. I know a number of colleagues doing the Masters in the UK who went last year, sure it did not exceed 15 working days.

Anyway its prayers. Does anyone know why it takes them so loooong? The UK has many more applications but less than half the time.
Why dont u apply to work at the Canadian consulate to speed up things? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada by Ezinwannem: 8:54pm On Jun 24, 2008
@Delta, my cuzzin was told to go for medicals without interview. I thought it was after interview that if they grant you visa, they tell you to go for medicals, I can be wrong, so does it mean since he has gone for his medicals?
Re: Travelling To Canada by aydewale: 8:55pm On Jun 24, 2008
@ Delta.

I'd rather u don't respond than give me condescending or sarcastic answerrs. I really wonder who the heck u are? I definitely am doing well in Nigeria and won't even cry if I don't get a visa. I wonder why I am even dignifying ur awkward response with an answer.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Ezinwannem: 8:59pm On Jun 24, 2008
@aydewale, I really dont see anything rude in what delta said, That's just plain trust. Maybe, really Maybe, u need to have a sense of humor
Re: Travelling To Canada by Ezinwannem: 9:01pm On Jun 24, 2008
@Delta, true ooo, 30  working days havent passed. Remember, they will observe any Canadian and Nigerian public holidays tongue
Re: Travelling To Canada by aydewale: 9:12pm On Jun 24, 2008
Yeah!I agree,Delta, am really sorry. Just got pissed. Remember that I had asked one or two questions in the past and u simply told me off that some1 else had to tell u to take it easy with me. I probably just got annoyed this time.

Tanx for the response and accept my unreserved apologies.

Tanx to all respondents.
Re: Travelling To Canada by kaysie83: 9:35pm On Jun 24, 2008
aydewale:

@ Delta.

You are so rude and very annoying in your response to my queries. I hate your guts and consider u uncultured.

I'd rather u don't respond than give me condescending or sarcastic answerrs. I really wonder who the heck u are? I definitely am doing well in Nigeria and won't even cry if I don't get a visa. I wonder why I am even dignifying your awkward response with an answer.

You are so annoying and am sure u are arrogant over nothing. Maybe because u are a second class human in another's land.

@aydewale, you need to relax, those of us here experience the backlog when renewing our visa especially during the summer when it takes about 60 days.  
Ezinwannem:

@Delta, true ooo, 30 working days havent passed. Remember, they will observe any Canaidan and Nigerian public holidays tongue

@ezinwannem you forgot the quebec holiday st-jean-baptiste which is today.I am sure the lady that performs the medical exam at yaba dr marie will not be working today as she  is a quebecor grin.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (189)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.