Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,845 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:58 AM

Travelling To Canada - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada (453852 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (189) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada by Ezinwannem: 9:06pm On Jul 15, 2008
@asimit, ask your school if it is refundable.
Just ask them tongue
Re: Travelling To Canada by aydewale: 9:54pm On Jul 15, 2008
@nedureg01; congrats, what extra thing do you think you did? I know @ least 3 other people with good jobs offered scholarships who were rejected. Could u state for example the Uni in Nigeria u attended,what University in Canada you are going to, if u re married? If u submitted any special document? Are u aware if they called ur office or ur school? Kindly give us some idea please. God bless u.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Ezinwannem: 9:59pm On Jul 15, 2008
yea, that will be nice for others to know the above info.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 10:58pm On Jul 15, 2008
@Ned,
Congrats. Hopefully ur medicals go well. This means they are probably satisfied with your application and na only you fit screw up anything. The interviews are centered around the questions Ezin posted. Basically, they want to get a feel of you and be convinced that you are coming to Canada to study and you'd return to Nigeria. So make sure your "story" makes sense to you. You should be able to prove that you have VERY strong ties to Nigeria. . .perhaps, you have a job waiting for you, etc. Make sure you have an answer why you chose Canada.

@AY,
A scholarship doesnt guarantee you a Visa (I thought I already made that point to you). I dont know the reasons why they denied your pals (perhaps you should ask them and post it here to help your comrades with their future applications); however, two basic points people tend to overlook apart from the usual requirements (admission, etc) for a study visa is that you have to prove that you have enough funds to support yourself during your studies and you have strong ties to your home country (meaning you'd be returning immediately you complete your studies). The onus is on the applicant. Since Ned got his letter last week and you submitted your applications around same time, then yours is probably on the way.
Re: Travelling To Canada by igbogolo: 8:15am On Jul 16, 2008
The canadian embasy here in nigeria recently denied supreme court justices visa to attend a conference in canada. They equally denied our olympic contestants visa to attend a sporting session in canada.
Ask jacinta our ambassador to canada and she will tell you that Nigeria has already bugun pushing back against canada on the visa front. I agree with adewale. canadian embassy here is racist and this difficulty with getting a visa to study is not because of any deficiency in our applications but largely because of the disposition of the visa officers in charge.

It was a mistake I made to choose canada to study. This is day 51 after my applicaton and no word from them. I hate feeing this helpless and im tensed to hell.
God help me!!!!!!!!!
Re: Travelling To Canada by aydewale: 9:03am On Jul 16, 2008
@delta,
@AY,

A scholarship doesnt guarantee you a Visa (I thought I already made that point to you). I don't know the reasons why they denied your pals (perhaps you should ask them and post it here to help your comrades with their future applications); however, two basic points people tend to overlook apart from the usual requirements (admission, etc) for a study visa is that you have to prove that you have enough funds to support yourself during your studies and you have strong ties to your home country (meaning you'd be returning immediately you complete your studies). The onus is on the applicant. Since Ned got his letter last week and you submitted your applications around same time, then yours is probably on the way.

I agree with you generally, but I would like to fill the gaps in ur analysis. you said:

"two basic points people tend to overlook apart from the usual requirements (admission, etc) for a study visa is that you have to prove that you have enough funds to support yourself during your studies and you have strong ties to your home country (meaning you'd be returning immediately you complete your studies)".

on enough funds: why would a person on full scholarship or say $40,000 need to prove apart from that scholarship any other financial capacity or capability? The institution granting you the scholarship is just saying we are taken the burden off you! isnt it?

on strong ties: I think a good job; marriage and siblings should be enough ties. If the Canadian Visa offers were to prove ties to Canada for example, need they do more than this? Do you think my friend who works with accenture and has a good car, investments, a mortgage and earns a reasonable pay check need prove more than these. I am so confident of these facts because we prepared his application together.

My view is that they are racist and arbitrary. well most importantly it is the grace or mercy of God. Or maybe God feels you would do better elsewhere. Shikena.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Travelling To Canada by GoldCircle: 9:16am On Jul 16, 2008
True talk igbogolo & Dewale!
Me thinks they are really irrational especially with Nigerians forget all the rationalizations our brothers are making on their behalf! The story is alot different in Ghana. I know of a family friend who's father paid the schools fees of himself & his sister. the guy applied first & was refused and immediately their dad sent word from Canada that the sister need not apply from 9JA anymore and so she immediately relocated to Ghana within that same month & applied. Guess wat?? She was given!!

I also think that our people are waking up now to these realities. ( I mean the Nigerian embassy). Just check to see the recently reviewed requirements needed to get a Nigerian visa.

Re: Travelling To Canada by igbogolo: 10:04am On Jul 16, 2008
@ goldcircle.
My neice that works for a canadian firm here in lagos came home some months ago with a long drawn face. When i enquired from her the reason for her dejected stance, she informed me that her canadian oga was bringing in some canadians to take over some sensitive positions in the firm, and that if that happens, she will either be demoted or maybe asked to resign. After the usual assurances I told her to keep the faith and maybe start looking for another job.

Four months later she was promoted. Ah Ah I was amazed. I asked her whats up. She gleefully told me that the entire crew of canadians were denied visas from the Nigerian embassy in ottawa. They applied again and the ten of them were denied yet again. whats good for the goose is also good for the gander. The government of Canada is also aware of this visa issue raging between both countries.

5 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada by igbogolo: 10:22am On Jul 16, 2008
@ goldcircle
Meanwhile is it advisable to go to ghana for canadian study permit?? Someone in my office told me she was referred back to nigeria after she went to ghana for a visit visa. I thought its only for permanent residents??
Re: Travelling To Canada by GoldCircle: 12:22pm On Jul 16, 2008
yeah! U'll always be referred to your home country if they sense that you just relocated to the country from where you are applying for a study permit. In my friend's case, his dad is a Nigerian business man in North America and he has business ties in Ghana. I assume he used his business links with associates to make it look like his daughter had been resident in Ghana for a while before applying for the student visa.

Are u considering going to Ghana to apply?? it aint worth the stress bro especially if you've got a good job here. You may as well arrange the Botswana citizenship thing and fly visa free from Ghana. i know cos that's what some desperadoes are doing now. But if U ask me again, I just think it not worth it!!

Cheerio!
Re: Travelling To Canada by igbogolo: 12:35pm On Jul 16, 2008
@ goldcircle
LOL!! maybe when i get that desperate, i will go hussle for a boswanian passport. LOL!!!
My only regret is that my admission will be rovoked if I dont appear for classes this august. I would have to reapply afresh.
Re: Travelling To Canada by kaysie83: 1:18pm On Jul 16, 2008
@igbogolo,

You might not lose ur admission. I know some intl students in my school who came in 2/3 weeks after classes begun cos they got their visa after the

resumption date. You need to get intouch with the Int student staff in ur school I am sure they can offer u one or two advice on what to do.
Re: Travelling To Canada by igbogolo: 1:31pm On Jul 16, 2008
@ Kaysie

thanks for the advise. Let me contact them to see what they will say
Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 3:11pm On Jul 16, 2008
@AY,
Most universities award Tuition scholarships, whether it's $10k or $100k (some give you "extra"wink . It goes towards your tuition. However, you still have to prove that you have enough money to sustain your upkeep and living expenses. You aint gonna be sleeping under the bridge and eating sand. You have to pay rent, buy food, books, utilities, etc. Just cos you got a scholarship doesnt guarantee you a visa. I have a good friend who had full tuition scholarship and planned to live with his brother's family (Naija style) when he moved to Canada. Guess what? He was denied. True, the denials are sometimes very irrational and I cant explain it all, but the onus is on you to prove your case and make your application idiot-proof; it doesnt matter whether you are a lawyer, doctor or Yardy's aide. Dont expect the IO to add 2 and 2 for for you. As for the strong ties, well, I havent been able to fully grasp that aspect. A family, house, and perhaps job at home could be strong ties my books but I'm not an IO.

@Igbo and the rest,
You may call the embassy or Canadians racist, but it doesnt change the fact that our next door neighbours obtain visas to Canada relatively easier than Nigerians. Someone even mentioned Botswana; yeah, it's true, you'd get a Canadian Visa easily with a Botswanan passport. Arent they Africans and Blacks too? So where does racism come into play? Why is it different for Nigerians? We tend to blame everyone but ourselves. In the whole of Nigeria, there's only one hospital that the Canadian govt trusts to carry out medical examinations (and it's run by a foreigner). In small Ghana, there are a few more hospitals and they are owned and run by Ghanaian doctors. Why? On this same forum, there's an existing thread with Nigerians using fake bank statements to obtain British visas; while genuine applicants are denied cos of "inconsistencies". Who do you blame? Racism? Even in this day and age, some f00ls use fake bank drafts to apply for Visas; does that make sense to you? A friend of mine applied for a visitors visa in Lagos and was denied. Travelled to Austria and applied there and got it. He didnt make any significant changes; same Nigerian passport, same everything, same reasons he gave in Lagos. Racism?

Lastly, on the issue of racism, let me just point out that as an African and Nigerian, I've been quite fortunate to be around the world; I can confidently say that Racism (open and subtle) exists but one that that cannot or will hardly be discriminated against, is talent. Those of you that end up in Canada or wherever, keep that at the back of your skull and strive to succeed in your endeavours, otherwise you'd be back here blaming your woes on racism.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada by Ezinwannem: 3:52pm On Jul 16, 2008
@Delta007 , men, you have said it all. Racism is not what is in place here but Nigerians are to blame. It has to do with experience Canadian embassy have gotten 4rom them, not to say everyone is to blame but majority spoils things here 4 others. Most International students here end up not going back, they come and wont go 2 school because they used student visa 2 get their way here and all other sorts of stuff. I know alot of what is going on here.

Someone mentioned about Nigerian Embassy denying Canadians visa. Trust me, they were given Visa, even me was denied visa, I went dere in person and visa was given 2 me in perosn. Even this complains about Canadian embassy not responding, Nigerian embassy in Ottawa is da worst.
Re: Travelling To Canada by aydewale: 5:34pm On Jul 16, 2008
Well on my part, there is a new development. Someone from my undergraduate University called and told me that the cnadian embassy sent a form/ letter etc to confirm my result.

Incidentally, this person who called me was a student offcer in the faculty of law before being transferred to exams and records and that person gave me the info.

Any views on this state of affairs?
Re: Travelling To Canada by igbonla(m): 6:17pm On Jul 16, 2008
Canadians are racists? God will forgive you guys!

Delta007 has explained in details but I would like to add that the things we do are so horrible that we don't even trust ourselves.
An IO at the Canadian embassy gave a banker and his family privilege/expedited visa service based on trust/ status only for him to be confronted some months later with asylum application documents for the banker and his family!

Don't we know what we do and how we do it? Forged documents (Oluwole, et al), lies that don't fly, etc.

There is really no big deal about visas to anywhere if people are straightforward in their dealings. Provide idiot-proof documents like Delta007 advised, pray and all will be well.

I understand some of the frustrations due to delays but people should not get too emotional about it.

I pray for you guys to succeed in the pursuit of your dreams.
Re: Travelling To Canada by igbonla(m): 6:23pm On Jul 16, 2008
aydewale:

Well on my part, there is a new development. Someone from my undergraduate University called and told me that the cnadian embassy sent a form/ letter etc to confirm my result.

Incidentally, this person who called me was a student offcer in the faculty of law before being transferred to exams and records and that person gave me the info.

I strongly believe that the delay you are experiencing is due to snail pace of response from all those contacted by the Canadian embassy for the confirmation of your documents.
You can imagine how Nigerian Police respond to Police Clearance Certificate verification request from embassies!

God help us.
Re: Travelling To Canada by nedureg01(m): 7:00pm On Jul 16, 2008
@ Ezinwannem, thnxs 4 d info, i must confess that u, delta nd other folks are making gr8 contributions.i rily aprc8 n i knw dat d intaview'll b very successful.
to answer ur questns aydewale, I got d forms online and filled it(i must confess i was straight wit all d info provided n i didn't try to pull d naija stunt as per " false info n lies"wink.I am 26yrs n presently doin my NYSC in Port Harcourt(a teaching Job), I finished from Lagos State Uni(famous LASU)-d 2nd best Uni on d globe) and got admission for an M.Eng Petroleum Engrg program at the University of Calgary, Alberta. i'd say that am jus a bit more than d average guy u meet everyday.my folks no too hold pepper like dat, but things no too bad(mumsie's a civil servant n popman's bn retired for abt 6yrs now), i neva marry, but if u have a wife 4 me, i wn't mind at all! i hav no family member abroad n this my 1st time applying for a visa, so i just bliev it's jus God dat has brought me this far.
I've asked d graduate program adminstatorat d skool, if CDHC Nig. contacted her with rgrds to my admision, but she said she's yet to recieve any inquiry.
Jus b positive; u'll get ur visa.oh boy dey pray hard!!!i've even bcome a prayer warrior of sm sort.I wish u best.tk care.
Re: Travelling To Canada by aydewale: 7:11pm On Jul 16, 2008
nedureg01:

funnily I attended the Lagos State University too. They just called me from school that the embassy just sent a form asking about my grades/ confirmation of my result. I was honest too. I got a full scholarship to Calgary, LL.M. I work in a very reputable company. A place would know if I were to mention it. I graduated in 2004 and then went to the law skol. I made 2(1) bpoth in Uni & law school.

U know LASU has got a good Faculty of Law. Do you know charles Odunaya?. Well I have travelled to the UK and Madrid in Spain before now. My G.P for school no too far from 4.5.

Nice to meet you on this forum,
Re: Travelling To Canada by Ezinwannem: 7:16pm On Jul 16, 2008
@aydewale, u have a nice result ooooooo, good luck, a sec. skool mate of mine is doing her LLM in Calagary as well, u'all will get da visa and den prepare well well 4 da cold in Alberta, tongue

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada by aydewale: 7:23pm On Jul 16, 2008
@Ezin:

God bless you. I am now more positive and optimistic. To think that I was already beginning to consider Dundee/ Aberdeen where I already have admission for September, well that's how things change. I pray the good lord finishes what he has started in our lives in Jesus name.

I must however say that a number of good people I can vouch for, have had their applications rejected and wish there was a medium for appeals.
Re: Travelling To Canada by cjay00: 7:27pm On Jul 16, 2008
Hi all please i will like to get assistance on how to get a canadian visa. A few requirements and what it all entails. Thank you very much.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada by Ezinwannem: 7:30pm On Jul 16, 2008
@cjay_00 , start 4rom page one of this thread and all da answers 2 your questions are dere.
@Aydewale, that they got rejected does not mean its your portion. What is urs will be granted 2 u nomatter what. "The last shall become da 1st",
Re: Travelling To Canada by aydewale: 7:32pm On Jul 16, 2008
@Ezin:

Thanks God bless you.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Ezinwannem: 7:35pm On Jul 16, 2008
bless u 2 hun
Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 9:21pm On Jul 16, 2008
aydewale:

You see? After all the moans and misyans, e be like say na your own very countryman dey delay your application. I can probably bet my last dollar that LASU or whatever Nigerian institution you attended did not respond to the Canadian embassy immediately, confirming your results. I'd like to point out tho that I dont think they do these checks on every application; probably the few they have suspiscions about. Goodluck!
Re: Travelling To Canada by Ezinwannem: 9:26pm On Jul 16, 2008
lol, itz true, da delay can be 4rom da uni. he attended, Nigerians can delay ehhhhhh, "enemy of progress", lol

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada by debosky(m): 9:29pm On Jul 16, 2008
@ Delta

you are so right! My undergrad university could not be contacted on the phone numbers and email addresses on my transcripts, so they couldn't confirm. But either because the visa officer decided to take a risk with me or the quality of my other application documents, I still got my visa.

@ All

Canadians are not racist (at least no more racist than the next country out there), Nigerians have just given them too much hassles of late. There's a story I've heard from a reliable source (though I don't know how true it is) that a couple of students recently (in the past year or so) came in, got their permits and disappeared - never showed up at the institution, never registered! Now with people pulling stunts like that, how can the High Commission even trust genuine applicants?

One final thing to note is that the High Commission reserves the right to reject any application. I remember the day I went for my interview, a friend of mine who we served together ( he had a 1st class, I had a 2/1) got rejected; even though we had similar situations and scholarships. This issue is not a matter of life and death; it is important no doubt, but don't let it control your existence. Stay positive and believe in your creator.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada by aydewale: 11:21pm On Jul 16, 2008
Delta,

I don't think the law is from my alma mater, as I was there a forthnight ago and the exams and records officials checked through their files and confirmed there was nothing from the Canadian Embassy.

They however promised to call me, if anything came up.

I stii called the elderly lady in charge on Monday and said there was nothing. She called me around 3 2day to tell me there was something from the embassy.

@delta, I wonder y they would be suspicious about my result?

Anyways, I guess this moves me a step closer. May God grant us all our heart desires.

Tanx to evryone so far, God bless u.
Re: Travelling To Canada by aydewale: 11:24pm On Jul 16, 2008
Maybe they will call my office, my brokers, cscs, the registrar of births and death, my Bank etc. Wd keep arms folded.
Re: Travelling To Canada by igbogolo: 7:41am On Jul 17, 2008
@ All
Yes I agree that some Nigerians behave in ways that are not expected. The IO officers also behave in ways not expected of them. Some denials just dont make sense. I will leave it at that.

I think the canadian office is more disposed to fresh gradsuates especially females. at least thats the trend cos all the people that have gotten so far are young graduates.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (189)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.