Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,858 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:20 AM

Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? (9727 Views)

Do Muslims Celebrate Misfortune To Others While Christians Don't? / Kaduna Muslims Celebrate Death Of Governor / Should Muslims Celebrate Valentine's Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by Sexxydivaa: 8:22am On Feb 07, 2013
i thought it was rightful of a muslim to celebrate valentine.Feb 14,until i saw this on an islamic facebook page.
ARE U A FUN OF VALENTINE? Hadrat Abdullah Ibn Umar (may
Allah be pleased with him)
reported Allah's Messenger (may
Allah's blessings and peace be
upon him) as saying, "He who
copies any people is one of them." (Ahmad and Abu Dawud.
What does this mean pls.

2 Likes

Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by maclatunji: 8:24am On Feb 07, 2013
LOL
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by SlyIg(f): 8:26am On Feb 07, 2013
Why not ...
If not ...
What was Amina to Mohammed SAW.
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by SlyIg(f): 8:29am On Feb 07, 2013
maclatunji: LOL
With all due respect to you.
All protocol observed on this noble section.
I didnt mean to be offensive in
my above comment o.
And by the way, don't tell me you don't have a val!
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by maclatunji: 8:35am On Feb 07, 2013
SlyIg:
With all due respect to you.
All protocol observed on this noble section.
I didnt mean to be offensive in
my above comment o.
And by the way, don't tell me you don't have a val!

LOL (Val ko. pal ni).

7 Likes

Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by Sexxydivaa: 9:14am On Feb 07, 2013
and y is tunji laffing??
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by SlyIg(f): 9:35am On Feb 07, 2013
Sexxydivaa: and y is tunji laffing??
Today is a ban free day.
And moreover, he doesn't want to give you the right answer to your question because he doesn't want to hurt God and his val pal.
You kw, if he says yes, God may be offended.
And if says no, his val pal will have full reason to leave him to another man.
So he will better choose to laugh than give you an option.

1 Like

Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by maclatunji: 9:54am On Feb 07, 2013
Sexxydivaa: and y is tunji laffing??

I am so sorry my sister, but your question just cracked me up. Seriously though, the concept of Valentine is just a fraud. Let us look at it, Islam prohibits extended interaction between a single man and woman (who are Non-Mahrams) beyond the process of sighting, evaluating each other, proposing marriage, accepting/declining from the side of the woman, concluding the marriage ceremony.

That is the first point.

Valentine is for everybody abi? Some people show "love" to motherless children- abi? #Story.

As a Muslim, we are encouraged to show kindness to the needy, orphans and the weak in the society as much as possible, not declare a particular day for it which valentine is not really about at present. Just listen, watch and read adverts about valentine, it is all about boy loves girl and what not.

Read this one first http://www.missionislam.com/knowledge/valentinesday.htm

I will be back with more.

11 Likes

Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by maclatunji: 9:58am On Feb 07, 2013
maclatunji: For all of you young girls that one "mindless" boy is disturbing for February 14, you better use your head. The boy will probably steal money from his father to buy you Mr. Biggs Snacks and Ice Cream after you have queued for at least 1-hour and then will almost certainly ask for 5ex. Ask yourself, are you so cheap?

You better stay at home and find something worthwhile to do with your time. I know so many of you will read this and not pay heed. If I see any of you crying around Nairaland about some unwanted pregnancy or STD, I am going to personally make sure that you get the word-lashing of your life.

Don't mind all of this business people that want to make quick money from this invented concept of "VALENTINE'S DAY", you don't need a day to be declared a "special day" of love. If you truly believe in the "specialness" of February 14 over any other day in terms of showing love, you need to have your head checked.

And then there is this rubbish that LOVE= 5EX. Who started this rubbish? If any man/boy truly loves you, he will leave you to develop into the best women you can be and honour you with a marriage proposal not turning you into some "Second-hand" material that has been used and has to be managed by someone else.

I am particularly concerned about some naive girl who doesn't even understand how easy it is to get pregnant or get infected with some serious life-changing disease that will fall for this "Valentine Day" trap and have her life irrevocably altered for the negative, that is why I am posting this. Parents too should put their daughters under their watch- Most of these girls we see on the street have parents somewhere, what are they doing?

Remember, you carry the greatest risk; the boy can walk away and lead a relatively normal life. It is you that will be left with the pain and shame.

#Thinkaboutit

https://www.nairaland.com/862163/young-girls-feb-14-aka

More to come later

8 Likes

Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by tbaba1234: 12:27pm On Feb 07, 2013
The vast majority of scholars hold it to be prohibited to buy, sell or take part in anything that is related to this holiday. They base this ruling on a few reasons:

1. They see it lead to social problems in the Muslim world, especially the recent skyrocket in dating and romantic premarital relationships.

2. It is a day on which a lot of fornication happens and even small children are encouraged to start engaging in premarital relationships.

3. It is imitating the disbelievers in their religious practices. The Prophet ﷺ said, “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.”

4. It is rooted in the religious practices of non-Muslims so it is an innovation which must be rejected.

5. It is a holiday and all holidays except the two `Eids are innovations, religious or not.

9 Likes

Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by maclatunji: 8:32am On Feb 08, 2013
SlyIg: Why not ...
If not ...

For the record and your enlightenment, she was his mother.

5 Likes

Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by outrage: 9:18am On Feb 08, 2013
O Muslims! The Prophet sallallaahu
'alayhi wa sallam said: "You will
imitate the nations before you very
closely to the extent that if they
went into a lizard's hole, you would
enter it as well” his companions, may
Allaah be pleased with them, inquired:
“(Do you mean) the Jews and Christians,
O Messenger of Allaah?” He sallallaahu
'alayhi wa sallam replied: "Who
else?” (Bukhaari & Muslim). The Prophet
sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam also said:
"The Day of Judgment will not come
until my Nation closely imitates the
nations before them.” It was asked:
“Like the Persians and Romans,
Messenger of Allaah?” He sallallaahu
'alayhi wa sallam replied: "Who are the
nations (I could mean) except
those?” (Bukhaari).
The Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam
foretold that some of his nation will
imitate the People of the Book, namely
the Jews and Christians, as well as other
non-Arabs, namely the Persians and
Romans. Allaah says that which means:
"[You disbelievers are] like those
before you; they were stronger
than you in power and more
abundant in wealth and children.
They enjoyed their portion [of
worldly enjoyment], and you have
enjoyed your portion as those
before you enjoyed their portion,
and you have engaged [in vanities]
like that in which they
engaged…" (At-Tawbah: 69). Ibn
‘Abbaas, may Allaah be pleased with
him, commented on this verse by saying:
“These are the Children of Israel that we
will imitate.” Ibn Mas’ood, may Allaah be
pleased with him, also said in this
regard: “You are closely similar to the
Children of Israel as far as outside
appearance and manners are concerned,
but I do not know whether you will
worship the calf (as they did) or not.”

The whole valantine day celeberation is an inovation, it is a pity many people have not mastered the 5 pillars would look for additional practices that are biddah to add ignoring their immediate duties! Enuf said!

6 Likes

Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by scribble: 9:21am On Feb 08, 2013
Valentine's day has nothing to do with religion. It is a day when people give women gifts in return for affection, love or sexual favours.

It is a commercial endeavour. I'm not sure Mohammed would approve but there are so many Kudirat, Monsurat, Shakirat, Amina, Zainab and co that will return affection, love etc for your gifts.

have a happy valentines day

1 Like

Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by Nobody: 9:24am On Feb 08, 2013
well, to be realistic, i've seen muslims celebrate christmas. in fact in my hood, all the 'knockouts' and 'bangers' during xmas were from them. that said, i believe most of them will celebrate valentine's day
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by gramci: 9:25am On Feb 08, 2013
No, I can't see the romance between a 60yrs old man and a 13yrs old child.

4 Likes

Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by maclatunji: 9:27am On Feb 08, 2013
iv4fb: well, to be realistic, i've seen muslims celebrate christmas. in fact in my hood, all the 'knockouts' and 'bangers' during xmas were from them.

A very interesting observation. Islam forbids such... it only goes to show that the fact that you are a Muslim does not mean you represent Islam in its entirety. There is such a thing as a disobedient Muslim.

9 Likes

Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by Nobody: 9:29am On Feb 08, 2013
I've already got a gift from my Muslim girlfriend and i intend to give her a holy bible in return.

1 Like

Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by mutaalim(m): 9:32am On Feb 08, 2013
No, a sincere Muslim should not celebrate valentine

By the way what is the meaning of valentine from their mouth ( a day to show love)

But in islam everyday of your life you have to show love, expression, devotion, partiality, emotion, enchantment, pash, adulation and enjoyment to your beloved wife/ husband not boyfriend / girlfriend.

Regards

11 Likes

Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by scribble: 9:32am On Feb 08, 2013
iv4fb: well, to be realistic, i've seen muslims celebrate christmas. in fact in my hood, all the 'knockouts' and 'bangers' during xmas were from them.

Very astute observation. After all xmas is all about knockout, banger and eating chicken

2 Likes

Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by DICKtator: 9:33am On Feb 08, 2013
CAVEAT
"To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam."

grin grin grin grin
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by Nobody: 9:37am On Feb 08, 2013
CAPITAL NO
AS MUSLIM CAN NOT CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS SO CAN THEY NOT CELEBRATE VALENTINE THE PROPHET S.A.W HE WHO ACTS LIKE A PARTICULAR SET OF PEOPLE IS PART OF THEM SO ITS a no go area for believing muslims val is meant for the kafir and if u do it as a muslim u are going out of islamic practices
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by JJKADRY(m): 9:47am On Feb 08, 2013
Valentine's day to me is a declaration of indisciplined children day both male and female.
Useless men and indisciplined girls and ladies meet to celebrate this day. Even,husband and wife that celebrate valentine doesn't make sense,because they supposed to appreciate each day of their lives and not a specific day. Happy Jum'at
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by 9icest: 9:51am On Feb 08, 2013
Islam has been turned a religion of DONTS, HARAM, and other loads of abominations....
If you keep living your life on such concepts, then you definitely arent ALIVE....
If celebrating lovers day is a sin: then I think God shouldnt have created mankind at all....

Get inspired, visit
www.inspired.com.ng
for your daily inspirational dose!

2 Likes

Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by samally: 9:52am On Feb 08, 2013
[quote author=lekibraky]CAPITAL NO
AS MUSLIM CAN NOT CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS SO CAN THEY NOT CELEBRATE VALENTINE THE PROPHET S.A.W HE WHO ACTS LIKE A PARTICULAR SET OF PEOPLE IS PART OF THEM SO ITS a no go area for believing muslims val is meant for the kafir and if u do it as a muslim u are a kafir

Hmm.......
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by strangest(m): 9:54am On Feb 08, 2013
use your brain and stop depending on what people wrote in the past..
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by olsmade(m): 10:00am On Feb 08, 2013
lekibraky: CAPITAL NO
AS MUSLIM CAN NOT CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS SO CAN THEY NOT CELEBRATE VALENTINE THE PROPHET S.A.W HE WHO ACTS LIKE A PARTICULAR SET OF PEOPLE IS PART OF THEM SO ITS a no go area for believing muslims val is meant for the kafir and if u do it as a muslim u are a kafir

I understand where u are coming from but to pronounce muslims as kaafir cos they do valentines is going too far. Is it every sin that you av rid yourself of? Im not promoting vals day but the ruling on pronouncing a muslim kaafir are not to be taken lightly.

In the hadith Ibn Umar related that the Holy Prophet said: If a Muslim calls another kafir, then if he is a kafir let it be so; otherwise, he [the caller] is himself a kafir.'' (Abu Dawud, Book of Sunna, edition published by Quran Mahal, Karachi, vol. iii, p. 484)

Abu Zarr reported that the Holy Prophet said: No man accuses another man of being a sinner, or of being a kafir, but it reflects back on him if the other is not as he called him.'' (Bukhari, Book of Ethics; Book 78, ch. 44)

The teaching contained in these hadith is meant to stop Muslims from dubbing each other as sinners and kafirs."Withhold [your tongues] from those who say `There is no god but Allah' --- do not call them kafir. Whoever calls a reciter of `There is no god but Allah' as a kafir, is nearer to being a kafir himself.'' (Tabarani, reported from Ibn Umar)

3 Likes

Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by Donicobone(m): 10:04am On Feb 08, 2013
kiss
Sexxydivaa: i thought it was rightful of a muslim to celebrate valentine.Feb 14,until i saw this on an islamic facebook page.
What does this mean pls.
Sexxydivaa: i thought it was rightful of a muslim to celebrate valentine.Feb 14,until i saw this on an islamic facebook page.
What does this mean pls.
What does this mean pls.
y not are muslim not a human bein yes dey do
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by AnanseK(m): 10:05am On Feb 08, 2013
SlyIg: Why not ...
If not ...

Of course Amina was Muhammad's mother ( may Allah be pleased with the both) . What are you getting at?

1 Like

Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:10am On Feb 08, 2013
maclatunji:

https://www.nairaland.com/862163/young-girls-feb-14-aka

More to come later
hee! maclatunji posted this? I think u r not as some people say. Nice word 2 our girls.
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by AnanseK(m): 10:15am On Feb 08, 2013
You can express your love any day. No one dictates a single day for love and gift to me and for decadence to teenagers. There is no such restriction to affection.
In any case valentine, fathers day , mothers day, brothers day , uncle's day and grandmothers day are all commercial gimmicks . Let's Nairaland day so that I can have some gifts too! grin.

1 Like

Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by Donicobone(m): 10:16am On Feb 08, 2013
I undastand dat every tin on earth have a hapy moment includin human bein so d fact is if muslim can lovdd b4 mariage dey can also ceribrate it 2
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by Nobody: 10:27am On Feb 08, 2013
olsmade:

I understand where u are coming from but to pronounce muslims as kaafir cos they do valentines is going too far. Is it every sin that you av rid yourself of? Im not promoting vals day but the ruling on pronouncing a muslim kaafir are not to be taken lightly.

In the hadith Ibn Umar related that the Holy Prophet said: If a Muslim calls another kafir, then if he is a kafir let it be so; otherwise, he [the caller] is himself a kafir.'' (Abu Dawud, Book of Sunna, edition published by Quran Mahal, Karachi, vol. iii, p. 484)

Abu Zarr reported that the Holy Prophet said: No man accuses another man of being a sinner, or of being a kafir, but it reflects back on him if the other is not as he called him.'' (Bukhari, Book of Ethics; Book 78, ch. 44)

The teaching contained in these hadith is meant to stop Muslims from dubbing each other as sinners and kafirs."Withhold [your tongues] from those who say `There is no god but Allah' --- do not call them kafir. Whoever calls a reciter of `There is no god but Allah' as a kafir, is nearer to being a kafir himself.'' (Tabarani, reported from Ibn Umar)
Mallam i never called any muslim a kafir but trying to make them refrain from acts that will make them belief in other religious practice than islam by emulating the practise that is unislamic.
Allah Subhanahu watahala said we muslims are the best of mankind because w forbib what is wrong and enjoin what is good .

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Your Menses And Ramadan / Polygamy As An Advantage To Innocent Women By Taofeek Yusuf / Du'a When Stopping Or Lodging Somewhere

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.