Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:09 AM

As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story - Literature (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story (68379 Views)

5 Major Reasons Why You Need To Read Non-Fictional Books / Fictional Story - Broken By Dharmie Lisa (@dharmielisa) / Road To Fame (A Fictional Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 12:24pm On May 29, 2013
@All... I went to that Plagarist Facebook page. She has deleted all my comments and she sent me a brazen mail. She actually dared me to sue her.

Anyways, I have forgiven her. The battle is the Lord's.

Some people on her page actually said I also copied the story from somewhere. I laugh at their foolishness.

My blog www.serahsadeiyare. bears me witness. The dates on the stories on my blog are the oldest dates online. Google and check them out. Followed by the dates on my stories on Nairaland.com, Naijastories.com and my page on facebook 'Serah Stories'.

I have been writing for a very long time. I have worked in several places due to my skills in writing. I decided to share this precious side of me with you all and if some people want to pirate it, they can go ahead. But let them bear in mind that 'What you sow, you reap'.

My major aim for writing these stories is to magnify the name of Jesus and hope that people's lives are changed.

I rest my case.

Next update loading... *winks*

2 Likes

Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by AnnNini(f): 2:46pm On May 29, 2013
Thee Lord is ur strength,amen
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Mutaino7(m): 2:51pm On May 29, 2013
God is going to crown your effort dont worry we dhey ur back.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 5:50pm On May 29, 2013
Well, God save that page say i no come here since, i for release the whole wrath nd magsalane ppl on it. She for hear am. Well aunty serah don forgive am sha, and she sef write from serah at d end sha.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 8:15pm On May 29, 2013
Honestly, it hurts so much she's taking a lot of credit she doesnt deserve. Sent her a message imploring her to put down the story or change it to the real title and make full acknowldgement to the sarah. Sarah, i know how you feel.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by oyestephen(m): 8:33pm On May 29, 2013
Aunt Sarah, I believe with time, the owner of the page will fix this issue.......I think oga seun or his committee should work on this. I hope this won't affect you posting stories here
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 10:43pm On May 29, 2013
@All... Thanks for your concern.

She and her fans can continue running their mouths. Am tired of replying them jare.

I have forgiven her already.

@oyestephen...Fear not, my story writing on Nairaland and everywhere else continues.

Next update loading...
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by MsSpaqs(f): 12:17am On May 30, 2013
I knw d page u guys are talking abt,she has finished d story n she credited u wt d story @ d end.Bt i dnt lyk d fact dat she dn't ask 4 permission n she changed d title@ Serah
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 4:17pm On May 30, 2013
Please wats d name of d page
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by MsSpaqs(f): 5:22pm On May 30, 2013
Lets talk about relationships with Kemmystry
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Preshie(f): 12:18am On Jun 02, 2013
Hi, Serah. Abeg, wen u go update nau? E don tey oo. Very much looking forward to your next update. As per 2moro b first Sunday 4 June, upload for us make u use am do new month gift.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 12:32am On Jun 02, 2013
@Preshie... Hahahahaha I hear you. If I update now, it will be too short. Abeg allow me to spice it up a bit *winks*
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 11:10am On Jun 04, 2013
As Deep As The Sea 16

Dark clouds began to gather; the air thickened with moisture and dust. Lightning flashed and thunder struck, followed by icy droplets of rain.

Promise stood at the entrance of the supermarket and shivered. She clutched at her shopping bags, wishing she had come in her car.

'How was I supposed to know that it would rain today?' She lamented.

Her father's house was a street away but she couldn't walk home in the rain. She would definitely catch a cold.

A tall figure breezed past her but she paid no attention to the person. Her mind was wrapped up her predicament. May be she would stop a taxi. Although she might be charged unfairly, trust Lagos taxi drivers, she had no other choice.

"Promise, Promise Daodu."

The sound of her name drew her out of her thoughts. She shifted her gaze and noticed the fair in complexion man standing beside her. Recognition hit her. Her pause quickened and her mouth went dry.

"Hi, are you about to leave?"

She nodded and held his gaze. The following week after his birthday party, she saw him once or twice at the office, but they couldn't talk at length due to their busy schedule. She had not expected to see him again until Monday, although they both lived within the same vicinity. The sight of him made her feel pleased.

"Can I see you off to your car?"

She blinked and turned her gaze towards the car park.

"My car... " She glanced up at him, "Regrettably, I didn't come with it."

"Oh!"

She looked away again.

"Can I drop you at home or wherever you are going?"

She shook her head, "Thanks, I live a street away. I would have walked back home, but, the rain seems to be getting heavier. I will get a cab."

"I insist, I will take you home," he collected her shopping bags and led her towards the car park. He had been longing to be in her company since the day she came to his birthday party. He had sought for such an opportunity at the office, but, it had been a busy week. He was glad he ran into her at the supermarket.

"Nice car."

"Thanks, I inherited the Prado Jeep from my dad."

"Oh... You are lucky."

"Thanks."

They got into the car and he drove out of the complex. The journey was short, but, he decided to make the best of it.

"Please send my regards to your parents."

"Okay. Thanks for the ride," she got out of the car with her shopping bags.

"You are welcome. Would you like to go out with me for lunch or dinner tomorrow?"

Her surprised expression wasn't lost to him. He liked her and he was sure she felt the same way. He wanted to get to know her and find out if he could spend the rest of his life with her.

"Em... Lunch will be fine."

He beamed at her response.

"Great! I will pick you up at two."

"Two-thirty."

"Okay. Have a lovely day."

She watched me drive off. His excitement felt like a soothing balm on her racing heart. It was obvious that Gbenga Lewis really liked her. She liked him too, regardless of how she had tried to stop her emotions from building, her heart wouldn't give up.

She made her way into the house and retreated to her bedroom. She dumped the shopping bags on the tiled floor and collasped on the bed, lost in thoughts.

It had been almost ten months since she broke up with Keshinro. Was she fully ready for another relationship?

'God I really, really, really like Gbenga. I need you to take absolutely full control.'

Gbenga fixed his gaze on the screen of the laptop while his fingers breezed through the keyboard.

"I didn't know you can type so fast."

He lifted his hazel eyes and smiled when he saw Promise standing at the doorway.

"I might dump all my paper-work on your desk first thing tomorrow morning."

He began to laugh.

She approached his glass desk and took a seat opposite him.

"You look good," his gaze sized her up. She was putting on a cream skirt suit. The colour made her dark brown skin to glow. He also noticed that she had changed her hairstyle.

She blushed, "Thanks."

"I had a beautiful time yesterday," he reached out for her hand.

"Same here," they had lunch at a restaurant and drove to Kuramo beach. She had fun gisting and strolling with him.

"What about after working hours?"

"Today?" Her pulse quickened.

"Yes."

She tried to redrew her hand but he held unto it.

"I like you a lot Promise. I want to get to know you better."

Her heart began to beat faster.

"I don't play games. I am here for the real deal. I am hoping this relationship will lead us to the altar."

She took a deep breath and exhaled. His words bathed her with hope and longing. She had never dated anyone whose major desire was to get married to her. Her past relationships were short flings which never led anywhere. Was Gbenga for real?

He squeezed her hand.

"Promise, If you agree to date me, I promise you that I will always be truthful, honest, faithful and God will be at the very centre of this relationship."

She looked deep into his eyes and smiled, "I like you too and will like to date you."

He dropped her hand and got to his feet. He walked up to her and pulled her up.

"I am happy. I am glad. I am excited. You are an answer to many nights of prayers and petitions."

All she could do was smile.

"When is your birthday?"

"Next month, on the tenth."

"March, great! How old would you be?"

"How old do you think I am?" She eyed him.

"You are a small girl," his hands drew her closer.

"Really?"

"Yes, you are my baby."

She laughed softly and her voice wavered when she felt his heartbeat against her cheek.

"I will be twenty-seven on the tenth of March."

"Hmmm... So you are a big girl."

"What is going on here?"

They both turned and saw Mrs. Daodu standing at the doorway with hands on her hips.

He let her go and she approached her mother.

"Mum."

She eyed her daughter.

"Nothing is going on, everything is just as the way they should be."

"Really?" She threw a glance at the Accountant. He swallowed hard and adjusted his tie.

"Why don't we go to my office?" She led her mother out and winked at Gbenga.

He returned to his seat and drummed his fingers on the glass desk. What was he thinking? Was it wise to court his boss' daughter? Would they sack him?

"No," he shook his head. The Daodus were not like that. But, in matters of the heart, it was hard to define where others stood. He hoped he had not crossed his boundaries. He liked Promise. If her parents frowned at their relationship, he would plead his case.

Blessing refused to go to her daughter's office, rather, she dragged her to her husband's office.

"I told you that something was going on between Promise and the Accountant, but, you wouldn't listen to me. I caught them locked in each others arms in his office."

"Mum!"

"Stop mummy me. This is an office environment."

She rolled her eyes, dreading the lecture that would surely follow.

Osagie watched his wife and daughter with keen interest.

"Your mother is right."

"Dad, I apologize."

"Are you dating Gbenga?"

"Yes dad."

"What did I tell you?"

Promise rolled her eyes again. Her mother was something else.

"Okay. You and Gbenga are both adults, but this is an office environment. Please do not bring your relationship within the four walls of this company. We have had too many disastrous office relationships in the past. Both of you are heads of different departments and you must show good example."

"Roger that dad. We will be more careful."

"I hope so."

She decided not to reply her mother, "I have to go," she faced her dad.

"All right Princess."

She found her way out of the office.

"I can't believe they are now dating, I could have sworn they were at each others throat some weeks back."

"Leave them alone Blessing. They know exactly what they are doing."

"Really?"

"Yes."

She noticed the note of finality in his voice.

"Some months ago, you were complaining that Promise was behaving like a loner. You said she locks herself indoors and rarely go out. Now that she is dating someone, you are complaining again."

"It is not like that."

"Save it till we get home Blessing."

She eyed him and got up, "Yes your majesty," she bowed comically and headed out.

He shook his head and sighed. His wife was a wonderful character. He was glad that she was the one he had chosen to spend the rest of his life with.

2 Likes

Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Deewonder(f): 12:28pm On Jun 05, 2013
You are my best writer in nairaland,
A mature and Godly writer.
U have been a blessing, May God reward u richly..
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by chinedumo(m): 1:18pm On Jun 05, 2013
What does Godly writer mean?
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by princesa(f): 2:20pm On Jun 05, 2013
chinedumo:
What does Godly writer mean?
a godly writer is one that writes 'godlyly' grin example Sarah. Sarah again, uhm Sarah again too grin

and the ungodly writers include people like us, our oga at the top being M. grin

don't mind, i love God, and i love you are centered on Christ. smiley

and hazel eyes for Gbenga? i need me a man like him grin
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Tovot: 2:23pm On Jun 05, 2013
what happened to brenda's son ? cheesy
princesa:
a godly writer is one that writes 'godlyly' grin example Sarah. Sarah again, uhm Sarah again too grin

and the ungodly writers include people like us, our oga at the top being M. grin

don't mind, i love God, and i love you are centered on Christ. smiley

and hazel eyes for Gbenga? i need me a man like him grin
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jun 05, 2013
Tovot: what happened to brenda's son ? cheesy
help me ask her o.

Hmmmm, princess. I will always like nedu for wat he did 2 dat name
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by princesa(f): 2:59pm On Jun 05, 2013
Tovot:
what happened to brenda's son ? cheesy
i dumped his handsome ars.echeesy

and do know am in the market for a boogrin

@damexx
I've cried and am moving on, besides she is a pretty maid grin
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by chinedumo(m): 3:23pm On Jun 05, 2013
You know the bible is a godly book yet it contains many 'ungodly acts'.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jun 05, 2013
@Deewonder... Awwwwww... Am sooooo touched. Thannnnksss. I feel encouraged *hugs&kisses*

@All... Next update loading *winks*
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Olamilekan08(m): 8:32pm On Jun 05, 2013
''But, in matters of the heart, it was hard to define where others stood''.
Hmm i like that.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by adebayo201: 1:57pm On Jun 06, 2013
serahsadeiyare: @Deewonder... Awwwwww... Am sooooo touched. Thannnnksss. I feel encouraged *hugs&kisses*

@All... Next update loading *winks*
thank God say i never missed much.
Na dt u 'winks' dy always bewitch me 2 come 4 more. . . . @ Auntie Serah.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jun 06, 2013
@Olamilekan08... *winks*

@adebayo201... Hahahahahaha
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jun 06, 2013
Yea d story is nice but it sounds discouragin n no more interesting when it takes a long time to update.. Pls take note
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jun 07, 2013
Six months later.

Promise walked out of the kitchen carrying a plate of toasted bread and a mug of hot beverage. She headed for the dining, the click sound of her shoes echoed through the walls of the empty room. She glanced at the wall clock. It was thirty minutes past seven. She had to leave home before eight or she would get to work late.

Her parents had already left. She had woken up with a massive hunger that demanded to be satisfied. The last time she went to work on an empty stomach, she could only think of food and barely got her work done.

She drew out a chair and placed the plate and the mug on the dinning table. While she ate, she browsed with her blackberry phone. She checked her email box and almost spilled her beverage on her chocolate brown trouser suit when she saw a mail from TL Communications Company. The firm was one of the companies she had submitted her application letter to in Lekki. At that time, she was informed that there was no vacancy, but they promised to get back to her once something came up.

She opened the mail and read through it. An interview had been scheduled for her that day for nine a.m on the dot. She needed to leave home immediately.

'God, this is the dream job I have been waiting for. I need your endless favour today'.

Promise hurried out of the house, leaving leftover toasted bread and a mug of beverage on the dinning table. Her mother would scream if she saw it when she returned from work that day. If all went well, she would be home before her parents. That would give her time to put the house in order before they returned.

She unlocked the gate and pushed it wide open. She got into the car, drove out of the compound and returned to lock the gate. She raced back into the car and glanced at her wrist-watch. It was a few minutes past eight.

'God I really need you today'.

Gbenga stood at the opened window and stared at the busy street. He had not seen Promise all day. Where could she be? It was almost four in the evening and she had not shown up at work. He had dialed her mobile number several times, but it was switched off. He had pinged her on the blackberry messenger, sent her emails, but there had been no response whatsoever.

He had almost asked her parents where their daughter was, but, he decided against it. Maybe she had a meeting to attend to on the behalf of the company. Why didn't she inform him? They were together the other night and she didn't mention something like that. As far as he knew, her schedule was clear that day. They had joked that she might spend the whole day in his office, but, where was she?

He sighed heavily and returned to his desk. Why didn't she bother to call him? She should have informed him about her whereabouts. He hoped nothing bad had happened to her. His heart missed a beat. He picked up his phone and dialed her number again.

Someone knocked at his door and walked in. His worried looks vanished when he saw Promise.

"Where have you been?" He rose up.

"Sweet heart, I have got news for you," she hurried to his side, excitement was written all over her face.

He turned away when she tried to hug him. She sized him up and grimaced when she saw the frown on his face. She realized that he must have been worried when she didn't show up that morning.

"I should have called, I am sorry sweet heart.

He folded his arms across his chest and eyed her.

"I know you must have dialed my number a million times. I had to switch off my phone because of where I was."

He sat back on his seat and watched her closely. Where was she all day?

"I will gist you," she took a seat opposite him, "I got a mail this morning from TL Communications Company."

He lifted one of his brows in interest, "Isn't that one of the companies you have been praying a storm to work in?"

She nodded and reached out for his hand, "Yes, they invited me for an interview scheduled for nine this morning."

His face brightened, "I believe you did excellently well."

She squeezed his hand, "Yes, sweet heart. God was faithful, I got the job."

"Wow!" He blew her a kiss and she blushed.

Gbenga could be so romantic and that was one of the reasons why she loved him.

"Come here and give your sweet heart a hug."

She rushed into his waiting arms and they remained in that position for a while.

"Sweet heart."

"Hmmm..."

"You have made me a very happy man."

"And I am a very happy woman."

"Really?"

"Yes, love."

He pulled away a bit and looked deep into her dark brown eyes. They seemed to have a glow about them at that moment.

"Promise will you marry me?"

She blinked and gapped at him.

"I want to spend the rest of my life with you," he had been longing to say these words to her since they started dating. Each day assured him that she was the one for him.

She swallowed hard and tried to steady her trembling body. She had fallen in love with him and she knew how much he loved her, but, she had not expected him to propose so soon. Was he really serious?

'God is this really happening?'

"Promise will you marry me?" He went down on one knee and brought out a golden ring from his pocket.

Her heart melted when she saw the ring. She glanced back at him and nodded several times.

"Yes, Gbenga. I would love to spend the rest of my life with you."

He rose and swept her off her feet.

Osagie and his family sat outside the house eating roasted corn and boiled pear.

Prince and Gift had returned home that weekend for the August/September holiday. Their school had just rounded up another session.

"Have you guys picked a date yet?" Gift smiled at her sister. She was glad that Promise was settling down. She would move into her room once she was out of the house. She had always envied her sister's large bedroom.

"We will pick a date once I have visited his mother and siblings," she smiled back at her.

"I heard they don't live in Lagos," Prince refilled his glass with Five Alive juice.

Promise nodded, "His mum lives in Abuja and his younger brothers live in Port Harcourt."

"Wow!" Gift shook her head. She wished she was the one travelling all over the country.

"We are going to see Mrs. Lewis next weekend and visit his brothers the upper weekend."

Blessing nodded in agreement, "The sooner the better."

"Darling, do we have any leftover roasted corn?" Osagie winked at his wife.

"I think so," she got up and pulled Promise along. They both headed into the house.

"My first daughter is getting married, I am so happy."

"Thanks mum," she followed her into the kitchen.

Blessing placed a bowl of roasted corn on the table and faced her daughter.

"Have you both discussed everything in your past, present and what you want in your future?"

She shrugged.

"What is that supposed to mean?" She eyed her.

"I know all his dirty little secrets mum, take a chill pill," she chuckled.

"I see. It is necessary and important that you both bear your hearts before you tie the knot."

"Really?" She drew out a stool and sat down. There was no stopping her mother whenever she wanted to trash out whatever she considered an issue.

"Yes. Whoever you want to marry must be given an opportunity to accept your past, present and future or reject it."

Her brows knotted in a frown, "Reject it?"

Blessing sat on one of the stools in the kitchen.

"Listen my dear. Regardless of how good or bad you are, whatever the kind of past you must have had, no matter the kind of future you have imagined, whoever wants to marry you must accept you hook, line and sinker."

"Or reject you?"

"Exactly."

Beads of sweat broke out all over her face. She had not thought of it before.

"Whoever cannot accept your past and align with your future isn't ready to spend the rest of his life with you? It will never work."

Promise shifted her gaze. She told Gbenga about every relationship she had gotten into, but, she didn't really expand details about her affair with Keshinro. Does it matter?

She noticed her daughter's worried expression, "Whatever is kept in secret will eventually come out. Many marriages have broken down because one or both partners hid things from each other. It is better to be rejected now, than when you are already married."

Promise folded her arms acros her bosom. She knew that the divorce rate all over the world had increased. She had also heard of couples living like intimate strangers due to one misunderstanding or the other. She doesn't want to have a broken home. Isn't a broken relationship better than a broken marriage?

Gift strolled into the kitchen, "Dad wants his corn."

Her mother pointed at the bowl of roasted corn on the table. She picked it up and glanced at them. She had a feeling they were discussing something very important.

The moment Gift was out of ear shot, Blessing turned to her eldest daughter.

"Not everybody will accept your past, but, there is always someone out there who will accept you for who you are, no matter where you are coming."

Promise exhaled loudly. She wondered if Gbenga was that kind of person. What if he wasn't? Her heart missed a beat. No wonder so many people do not tell their partner about their past. It was difficult to discern whether the person would accept or reject one. It was a painful risk to take, but, it was worth it.

"Thank you mum."

Blessing smiled, "You are welcome dear. I am always here whenever you want to talk."

"Okay mum."

They locked gazes.

"Can I hug you?"

She stared back at her daughter in surprise, "Yes baby," her voice thickened with emotion.

They both got to their feet and embraced. Promise felt relaxed. It had been a while since she had hugged her mother. She needed to do it more often.

Blessing felt a tear drop sliding down her face. She couldn't remember the last time she hugged her daughter. She had felt closer to her while they chatted. She had longed for Promise's trust. She hoped she would gain it soon. One day in the nearest future, her daughter would confide in her. These thought filled her with joy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by oyestephen(m): 12:11am On Jun 08, 2013
cry cry cry cry
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by MumZ(f): 7:51am On Jun 08, 2013
Goin 2 Abj, huuumm, I smell trouble. Tanks 4 d unsually quick update, wsnt expectn it. Great episode as usual.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 10:36am On Jun 08, 2013
Tanx 4 d update,pls will luv dis if u give it to us often
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jun 08, 2013
Candis009: Tanx 4 d update,pls will luv dis if u give it to us often
yes o, pls aunty serah, give it 2 up more often.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Tovot: 1:18pm On Jun 10, 2013
nice story smiley
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jun 10, 2013
As Deep As The Sea 18

Promise and her mother joined the others outside the house.

"What is your position at TL Communications and when will you be starting work?" Osagie pushed his empty bowl aside.

She took a seat beside her mother.

"I am one of the Public Relations Officers. I will be working with four other people under the Public Relations Manager. I heard she is a Magaret Thatcher. I was asked to resume on the fifteenth of September."

"Hmm... That leaves you basically three weeks to hand-over to someone else at our Textile company," her father eyed her.

"Yes, I have the perfect candidate in mind."

"Really?" Blessing wondered who her daughter had in mind.

"Yes mum. Just keep your fingers crossed."

Osagie chuckled. He trusted his daughter's judgement. She had been a great asset to their firm. His dark eyes caught sight of a black Prado jeep parked close to the gate.

"Is that not Gbenga's car?"

They all followed his gaze. Promise recognised the car and her heart leapt with joy. Although they had not planned to meet that day, she was glad that he was around.

Gbenga got out of his car and walked into the Daodus' compound.

"Here comes Prince Charming," Gift winked at her sister who ignored her and drank at the sight of the man she had given her heart to.

He was putting on a blue tee-shirt with black shorts. The blue tennis shoes made his legs to stand out admirably.

"Good evening sir, ma."

"Good evening Gbenga."

"How are you doing?"

"Very well, thank you ma."

He nodded at Prince and Gift and sat beside Promise.

"I didn't know that both of you were back from school."

"We arrived yesterday," Prince informed him.

"Oh really?"

Gift nodded in confirmation.

"Please excuse us," Promise got to her feet and pulled him along. They both went into the house and settled on the sofa in the living room.

"You didn't call to tell me that you were visiting," she eyed him.

"Do I need your permission to visit?" He reached out for her hand and started playing with her fingers.

"No, but, I would have... You know, I would have prepared something"

He smiled at her, his glowing hazel eyes held her dark ones firmly.

"I understand. Seeing you is enough. But, the corn I saw your dad eating... Any leftovers?"

She started to laugh. She wished they had bought more.

"Am sorry love, my dad ate the last set."

"It's okay."

"Can I get you anything else?"

"Yes, I want more of you."

She blushed and tore her eyes away from his arresting ones.

"My mum and siblings cannot wait to meet you. They are excited."

She smiled, but refused to return his gaze. Her discussion with her mum earlier that day drifted into her mind. Was it the right time to talk her fiance?

"Hello," he waved a hand in her face.

Her thoughts evaporated.

He noticed her concerned expression. He wondered what she had been thinking about.

"A penny for your thoughts."

"What about a million dollars?" She teased.

"Hey!"

She started to laugh again. He held her hands and squeezed it a bit.

"Talk to me," his assuring eyes soothed her.

She took a deep breath and exhaled.

'God, over to you', she said a silent prayer within her.

"I omitted some details when I told you about my past."

His heart beat accelerated. He hoped that whatever she had to say, they would be able to iron it out.

"I am listening."

"The last affair I had before I met you, I ... He... We..." She looked away. Memories of her past left her tongue-tied.

He patted her on the shoulder, "Take your time."

She took another deep breath and exhaled again.

"He is married with two children."

What she said didn't register at first. He replayed it on his mind and shuddered.

"Did... " He cleared his throat, "Did you know? At the time you were... Did you know?" Gbenga felt anger brewing within. He had always had issues with unfaithful married men and the women who went after them, especially those who fell for their lies and wealth.

She watched him, his expression had hardened.

'Oh God help us!'

She ran a wet tongue over her dry lips.

"Yes, I knew."

He eyed her and shifted backwards, creating space between them.

"Were you born-again at the time?"

Sweat broke out all over her. She didn't like where the conversation was heading.

"Yes, I was."

He folded his hands across his chest.

"You had an affair with a married man, despite the fact that you were aware that God was against it."

Her heart sank.

He began to shake his head, "What were you thinking?" His voice rose. He eyed her again. Does he really know the woman he wanted to spend the rest of his life with? He had to be honest with himself. Marriage was a life-time commitment. Was it possible for him to love a woman who deliberately disobeyed God? He wasn't even sure if she had fully repented. She could be prone to extra-marital affairs for all he knew. That was something he wasn't ready to deal with in marriage.

A tear drop slid down her dark chocolate face. Gbenga used to look at her with love and tenderness, but at that moment, she saw the disdain in his eyes. She doubted if he could handle her past. Could this be the end of their relationship? She shook the thought from her mind. She needed to remain positive.

"So what happened? Did he grow tired of you and left you or did you suddenly return to your senses and left him," the sarcasm in his voice wasn't lost to her.

The tears came in torrents. He had already judged her. She felt as if her heart was being crushed from all sides.

"This is not the time to cry. I want to know what happened."

She turned away and folded her hands across her chest.

"What happened?" His impatience grew.

"I left him!" She snapped.

"You should have known better."

She frowned and wished he would leave. She wished she had told him everything from the very beginning. She couldn't believe he was acting so self-righteous. Was she the only Christian who had sinned against God deliberately? Wasn't he at least happy that she was back in God's good book? His judgemental attitude was beginning to irritate her.

Gbenga placed a hand on his forehead. He loved her, but, he couldn't come to terms with the fact that she got involved with a married man. He knew God had forgiven her, but, he wasn't sure he could live with it.

If he got married to her, he wouldn't be able to trust her completely. If he doesn't trust her enough, then, he definitely didn't love her enough. Trust and love worked hand in hand in every relationship. No marriage could work without both.

"I need to know everything that happened Promise. I can't get married to you if I don't know your complete past," his voice softened.

She wiped away her tears with the back of her hand. She knew she had to give him the opportunity to either accept or reject her past. But, he was already showing signs of rejection.

"I left him. Till this very day, he is still searching for me, but, I know better."

They remained silent for several minutes. No one spoke.

"Promise... "

She turned to look at him. Her red eyes saddened him.

"Sweet heart, I know and believe that someone out there will accept your past and love you unconditionally. I am not the person."

Her eyes smarted with tears. She felt as if he had just punched her in the stomach. She couldn't believe he was actually breaking up with her. Did he ever truly loved her?

"I am sorry. I don't know what happened between you and this married man. I don't think I want to know. The truth is that, I won't be able to stop thinking about it and I can't trust you completely. I can't live like that."

Promise tightened her grip on her arms and comforted herself. A broken relationship was far better than a broken marriage. She slipped off the engagement ring from her finger and handed it over to him.

He collected it and pulled himself up, "I am sorry."

She watched him as he took his leave. She could hardly believe what had taken place. He couldn't handle her past. Someone that cannot handle one's past isn't welcome to one's future.

'Oh God, oh God, oh God. Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus! Hold me God, hold me. I need you now,' she laid on the sofa and cried out to God, her saviour.

That night, Promise couldn't sleep. She had series of nightmares that kept her awake. She sat up and switched on the yellow bulb. Her blurred eyes found the wall clock. It was some minutes past two.

She got out of bed and changed into her pyjamas. She slipped on her bathroom slippers and headed for the master bedroom.

Osagie and Blessing woke up. Someone was knocking at their door.

"What kind of children disturb their parents at two in the morning?" He grumbled.

"The desperate ones," she sat up and looked around for her night-gown knee length jacket.

"Please find out who it is," he pulled the blanket over his head.

Blessing found the jacket at the foot of the bed. She reached out for it and put it on. She stretched and yawned. Her eyes watered and she pulled her weight off the bed. She took slow steps towards the door and unlocked it. Her heart beat accelerated when she saw Promise standing at the doorway.

"Are you all right?"

She shook her head and walked into the room.

Blessing closed the door. She had known something was amiss when Gbenga left their house that evening.

Promise settled at the foot of the bed. Her red eyes felt peppery and she wondered if a splash of water on her face would help.

Osagie peeked through the blanket and saw his daughter. He groaned and sat up.

"Why have you decided to harass your parents?"

She turned her neck and saw her father. She thought he was asleep.

"I am sorry dad."

Her mother sat beside her, "We are here for you love."

She took a deep breath and exhaled, "Gbenga broke up with me."

Osagie closed his eyes and opened them. He felt her pains through her words. He drew near and patted her on the back.

"I ... I told him that I dated a married man while I was serving in Abuja. He said he doesn't trust me enough to marry me. I ... I thought he loved me," she began to sob.

Osagie and Blessing exchanged glances.

"He couldn't bear to hear the whole story. He just judged me and pulled out of the relationship. Who does that?"

She reached out for one of her hands and held it. She looked at her husband again, he was close to tears.

"Dad, mum, I got distracted while I was serving in Abuja. I gave in to temptations and had an illicit affair with a married man. He was my boss at work, it was hard to stay away from him, but, that is no excuse for what I did.

"I tried to break up with him. I actually did, but, he chased me. I... I... I almost died. I got pregnant and he drugged me. He and his wicked family doctor tore my baby from my womb. I almost died. I had to come home.

"I almost died, but God gave me a second chance. God was merciful. He forgave me. I wanted to tell you... I ... So many times, I wanted to... "

Osagie wrapped his hands around her and began to pray. Blessing bowed her head and held unto her daughter's hand. They prayed for God's instant healing and His direction.

Promise felt light in her father's arms. It was as if a burden had been lifted off her shoulders. Regardless of how hurt she felt, she sensed the assurance that everything would work out for her good.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply)

Ijeoma Oluo's "So You Want To Talk About Race" Is New York Number 1 Bestseller / Tales Of Abigail / The Corridor of Hell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.