Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,849 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:08 AM

What If There Were No Exams In Schools? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What If There Were No Exams In Schools? (12489 Views)

Dead Students Write Exams in Oko Poly / List Of Professional Bodies (exams) In Nigeria / ASUU Threatens To Cancel Post-UME Exams In Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by GIZI7(f): 11:21am On Feb 08, 2013
I took active participation in debates in secondary school. Don't look at me like an effico. All I did was to sit at the back seat and analyse the topic while watching the debaters perform. Hehehe...What? Oh, you thought I meant I actually went up stage to argue? Nah, I didn't have strength to memorize three pages full of arguments. In all my years of active participation *winks* there was one topic that stood out on my list of favourite topics and it was "Is examination the true test of Knowledge" I spent more time arguing on this topic with members of my observatory group in the back seat, my point being that one cannot really use exams to measure intelligence when most teachers insisted we memorize a textbook's definition of terms and vomit it on our answer sheets to make marking easy for them. In most exams, your understanding of a concept didn't matter. Well that's a story for another day. But my gist today is based on a thought I have been processing; a world I have been dreaming of; an idea that has grown deep roots in my mind for a long time.

What if there were no exams in schools? What would you have done differently?

Uh huh! I see your eyes shining...don't allow those truancy thoughts running through your mind. But what if you had the power to make exams disappear? Would you have loved to explore more subjects knowing you don't have anything to lose? While you warm up to share your ideas on this matter, let me share mine. If there were no exam eh...

I would have loved to explore various subjects like Physics and Chemistry but just at introductory level. I would have loved to continue Fine Arts without the fear of writing it in WAEC as the teacher threatened me. I would have loved to add History to my lists of subjects because I love to know the stories behind things. I would have loved to take a sneak peek into Further Maths, emphasis on the sneak peek. Geography...uh...still loading that thought. Accounts...didn't take that subject even though I studied it in the University and still won't. I would have crashed into classes and enjoyed learning without the heartache of exams.

But you know what? Exams or no exams, I'm glad that I have a choice to learn whatever I want via the internet and I can engage in intelligent discussions and just learn for the joy of it and not because I have to write exams. I am as interested in medical research as I am in Global warming. I watch Disney Channel and still can't get enough of CNBC Africa, Bloomberg, Style Network and Food Network. It's called locating learning amusement park and as my friend, TJ.Bard will say, "the mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be ignited."

So guys, let's hear yours

If you had the magic wand to make exams disappear what would you have done differently and what subjects would you have taken interest in?

GIZI
www.wyrbo..com

8 Likes

Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by Tascocent(m): 11:27am On Feb 08, 2013
oboi skool sweet but na exam spoil am oooooooooooooooooooooo

8 Likes

Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by Tolexander: 11:58am On Feb 08, 2013
If there were no exams?
Then all of us would come first and no one would come last like our fathers.

There wont be GP.

I wouldn't have any repeat in OAU pharmacy school.

I wouldn't tried befriending my teachers to upgrade me.

I wouldn't feel inferior to ask the most brilliant gurl in my class out.

Seun Osewa wouldn't leave OAU electrical electronic engineering for NAIRALAND.

My parent wouldn't be beating me at the end of each term after collecting my report card.

I would be very rich in school because there wouldn't be reason to spend my money on expo.

6 Likes

Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by Olastep1(m): 12:46pm On Feb 08, 2013
I'll would have been a young politician by now...lolz
Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by GIZI7(f): 3:48pm On Feb 08, 2013
@Tolexander: I dig your style jare especially the part of all of us taking First position.
Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by Tolexander: 3:53pm On Feb 08, 2013
GIZI7: @Tolexander: I dig your style jare especially the part of all of us taking First position.
really? But you seem to be the most brilliant gurl I would have toasted in class that time.
Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by GIZI7(f): 4:53pm On Feb 08, 2013
Toast? That one na detention for you o with plenty grass to cut and toilets to wash

1 Like

Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by Tolexander: 9:30pm On Feb 08, 2013
GIZI7: Toast? That one na detention for you o with plenty grass to cut and toilets to wash
for where? Me sharp now. Anty and uncle no fit catch us.
Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by yuzedo: 5:31pm On May 06, 2013
Bla bla bla, yaki yaki yaki, kwi kwi kwi, kwa kwa kwa!

................. Soooooooo, wuz yo numba? be nice, i leave in Banana Island. wink wink wink
Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by devigblegble: 5:31pm On May 06, 2013
Things would be more easier cuz most stuffs taught in school, we really don't apply them in real life example teaching American history to students in African school, will that give them automatic visa to Yankee ? NO..
My point is even exams don't make no difference here
Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by Nobody: 5:33pm On May 06, 2013
cheesy
Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by NotNairalandi(m): 5:37pm On May 06, 2013
People for no de laugh me at every end term those days in my primary sch.because me and person no de drag last position then
Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by 2rutalk1: 5:38pm On May 06, 2013
Thank God there are exams in school. That is the only reason some folks still open their books. School without exams equals to club. Infact some students especially ladies (no insult intended) won't even sleep in the hostel till they graduate.

5 Likes

Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by frankcimc(m): 5:40pm On May 06, 2013
Op I go dey brag to my siblings and my parent even my kids that I was the best student during my Sch dayssmiley
Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by Bonapart(m): 5:41pm On May 06, 2013
A country like 9ja will be recording trillions of graduate which would have include my ancestors
Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by fuckluv(f): 5:43pm On May 06, 2013
Tolexander: If there were no exams?

There wont be GP.

My parent wouldn't be beating me at the end of each term after collecting my report card.

I would be very rich in school because there wouldn't be reason to spend my money on expo.
This got me reeling with laughter. funny
Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by yemmy19(m): 5:46pm On May 06, 2013
Chartered Institute of Management and Leadership(usa) is offering a direct membership either as a gяα∂υαтєѕ member,an associate member,full-member or fellow.
For more info,call 08033658373,08054696688 or visit www.cimlglobal.com
Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by Nobody: 5:50pm On May 06, 2013

There wont be GP.

great ife cheesy i see you o cheesy i always get to see the products of ife anywhere i go.even though oau squeezed me to bring out the best in me (i mean they made me go through hell to earn a postgraduate degree with their endless form a's,form b's etc,i missed oau sha cheesy) anyway back to the topic school without exams could have been a life of bliss.just watching t.v,hanging out with friends,endless parties and shows,eating lots of suya and visiting forks and fingers cheesy wink

2 Likes

Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by YoungGame: 5:54pm On May 06, 2013
Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by Nobody: 5:56pm On May 06, 2013
Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by WackyJ1(m): 5:56pm On May 06, 2013
if there are no exams why should there be schools, i can just imagine UNIBEN without exams and what i am seeing in my mind's eye is not a school.
Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by Nobody: 5:59pm On May 06, 2013

There wont be GP.

Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by Nobody: 6:00pm On May 06, 2013
2ru-talk:
Thank God there are exams in school. That is the only reason some folks still open their books. School without exams equals to club. Infact some students especially ladies (no insult intended) won't even sleep in the hostel till they graduate.
i and my roomates/ never used to sleep in the hostel both when i was an undergraduate and postgraduate student.it was clubbing all the way cheesy (God bless my friends that made my stay in oau an enjoyable one 1o years back).we had the time of our lives when we were in school.as from thursday we are leaving moremi hall to go out there shopping for the clothes we will wear for the red carpet,shows or club.we were the big girls then cheesy however when it is a month to exam we will be back in school studying.anyway i am happy i came out with a 2.1 without nyashing any lecturer,i also earned a good grade after finishing my postgraduate degree cheesy all those ones that will be in school from monday to friday sleeping in awo hall,sleeping in hezekiah library while studying and all,we still came out with the 2.1 together jare...cheesy
Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by Tolexander: 6:04pm On May 06, 2013
kulyie: great ife cheesy i see you o cheesy i always get to see the products of ife anywhere i go.even though oau squeezed me to bring out the best in me (i mean they made me go through hell to earn a postgraduate degree with their endless form a's,form b's etc,i missed oau sha cheesy) anyway back to the topic school without exams could have been a life of bliss.just watching t.v,hanging out with friends,endless parties and shows,eating lots of suya and visiting forks and fingers cheesy wink
never knew you are an alumnus(a)!
That is OAU O!

1 Like

Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by irenmwinfo(m): 6:05pm On May 06, 2013
Girlz for hear am like die coz flexing for too bad like craze ... I for no dey wake up as early as 7:00am go lecture room, i for dey flex for night than busy reading CHM321. Cash for dey enough for me than making photocopies, infact lecturers for no dey bother coming to class by 8:00am. If no exams, scholar 4 no dey bother reading like mad person....
Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by Smhart1(f): 6:09pm On May 06, 2013
I would have being a medical student
Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by WackyJ1(m): 6:11pm On May 06, 2013
Smhart1: I would have being a medical student
YOU SURE?
Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by Nobody: 6:11pm On May 06, 2013
irenmwinfo: Girlz for hear am like die coz flexing for too bad like craze ... I for no dey wake up as early as 7:00am go lecture room, i for dey flex for night than busy reading CHM321. Cash for dey enough for me than making photocopies, infact lecturers for no dey bother coming to class by 8:00am. If no exams, scholar 4 no dey bother reading like mad person....
hahaha i no dey like all those kain levels o,dey photocopy note or buy compulsory text book.the thing dey always vex me then o.the money wey i suppose buy shoe or do my nails better french tips,i go dey use am buy compulsory text book. cheesy if worst come to the worst and lecturer talk say im go set question from that text book,na photocopy i go do instead of buying the text book and after the exam use the photocopy as base for my stove for kitchen 8-)
Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by Nobody: 6:14pm On May 06, 2013
WackyJ1: if there are no exams why should there be schools, i can just imagine UNIBEN without exams and what i am seeing in my mind's eye is not a school.
them go turn school to brothel with their wicked skirts and heels or nite club.exam still dey some girls go dey wear some badt cloth,when exam no dey nko.lecturer gan sef go turn to mumu cheesy
Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by Stegomiah: 6:18pm On May 06, 2013
'if wishes were horses, beggars will ride'. tank God ur question is what if, i dont wanna think ur way nd i think i lyk it better d way it is, when you are not tested, you wont av testimony, dont think d world at large would av been a better place widout competition cos dias notin at stake, dias no goal, no prize cos u're not being tested.

Dia wont be any way 2 distinguish pple, as in first, second, ... notin to motivate pple to perform beta, it jst does not make sense.

Moreover, exams are not limited 2 academics alone, in politics we av exams 2 many candidates and one comes out on top, (either by riggin or by force), in sports, dia would not av bin usain bolt, lionel messi, micheal phelps cos dia aint any test, evry1 wu loves soccer would be playing, same for d entertainment world nd so on...

i think i lyt it d way it is.....
Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by Nobody: 6:20pm On May 06, 2013
devigblegble: Things would be more easier cuz most stuffs taught in school, we really don't apply them in real life example teaching American history to students in African school, will that give them automatic visa to Yankee ? NO..
My point is even exams don't make no difference here
abi o.abi shey na all those questions them dey ask for banking and finance students or accounting students them dey apply for bank abi,accounting firm or auditing firm real life.
Re: What If There Were No Exams In Schools? by nneh1(f): 6:21pm On May 06, 2013
Olastep1: I'll would have been a young politician by now...lolz
. English.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

JAMB Direct Entry Admission Form Is Out – 2017/2018 / Unilorin Student’s Suicide Was Drug Induced - Management / Enmity Or Enemity?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.