Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,737 members, 7,806,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:15 AM

Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. (13151 Views)

All The Applicants Failed This Interview Question. (please Help Out) / Emfrica/greater Washington Air-cargo Logistics : Applicants Come In Here!! / Can I Correct My Interviewer's Grammatical Errors? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by jadajada: 5:26pm On Feb 08, 2013
Ejaisky:
I did. I got a federal govt job by responding to a newspaper advert.
u mean in d yr 1972?

1 Like

Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by eimuhb(f): 5:29pm On Feb 08, 2013
azimibraun: And hw does dis help in a country wia its man knw man dt gets u d job or hw mch u cn afford to pay the N300,000 above dt jobs are sold? The last time I commented on job opportunities on dis forum I asked a question and ddnt get any answers. I wll ask again,if u knw anybody dt got a job frm 2010 till date by jst applyin and nt hvin any backing let me see ur hands up.

My brother got a job last 2 years wit 1st bank, he entered as a graduate trainee and he is still working in d bank. NO Backing, Just God!!!

1 Like

Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by Thosen(m): 5:30pm On Feb 08, 2013
- Silly email address: it’s no crime to be sexy, cute, “hawt” and all that but killerfire@domain.com, 2sexyrealdirty@domain.com.. etc etc. is amateurish. Enough said. Let’s just say your application had a cutesy email address because you failed to properly proofread your résumé. Some recruiters may not find it a big deal but that’s not a risk you want to take.

Advice: cutesy email addresses don’t say anything professionally appealing about you; opening an account with any domain is still free, last I checked. Get serious about your job search, have an official email address.

To add to this point, I would advise that as a rule of thumb, your default "formal" email address should be in the format: "first name"."last name"@domain.com (if you may, try to stick with gmail or yahoo - many corporations have default settings in their web admin that will "bounce" emails from certain domain names/types to their junk mailbox. Please be guided.)
Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by bakusha(m): 5:41pm On Feb 08, 2013
Acidosis: una nefa tire with all these 'c-fees', 'cofa-letters'

Go and get the connections first before you copy and edit a good cv...

We all have the certificates...we all have the cvs... but not all have the right connection!
Get connected and the job is yours. It is not what you know....but who you know.
gbam u gt it right my bwoda, who cares abt d cv or applicatn u write if d right connectn s dia 4u
Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by point45(m): 6:38pm On Feb 08, 2013
Ignoring harmless threads like this is why loads of people have no jobs. The trend is such that connections now look for merit. Its one connection to a million candidates so even they would select one or two over the rest. I don't see a director with one slot picking his cousin with bad grades over that with good grades. (2 nephews 1 slot, somebody's still got to jones). Give yourself the edge , just listen and learn, its free !!!

2 Likes

Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by tessyade: 7:02pm On Feb 08, 2013
azimibraun: And hw does dis help in a country wia its man knw man dt gets u d job or hw mch u cn afford to pay the N300,000 above dt jobs are sold? The last time I commented on job opportunities on dis forum I asked a question and ddnt get any answers. I wll ask again,if u knw anybody dt got a job frm 2010 till date by jst applyin and nt hvin any backing let me see ur hands up.
I actually got my present job through a newspaper advert without knowing anyone in the company. That's not to say the 'man-know-man' thing is not common in Nigeria anyway.
Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by ignis: 7:26pm On Feb 08, 2013
Nice one.
Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by Godsblessing(m): 7:32pm On Feb 08, 2013
DJDOLA: no job in town jareee
big lie bro..I got 2 gud jobs in jst 4 mnths witout any connection..ur jst nt searchin d rite way dats y u say no job.jobs yapa
Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by Kenistry(m): 7:32pm On Feb 08, 2013
Well I got some tips frm dis thread..... Bt i need advice and suggestns. I am a graduate of Ind. Chemistry, stayin in Lag, dnt hv d 'hu u knw tin'.. I'm tinkin of going tru consultin firms here in Lagos to help me get a job in a chemical based Industry. Pls wht do u tink abt dis?
Wic consultin firms can i go to? Wht r dier terms of service?
If anyone has gone tru dis method sucessfully b4, pls ur advice & experience will b highly aprieciated. Tnks
Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by duality(m): 8:20pm On Feb 08, 2013
Yvete: I made the mistake of sending out a generic resume without tailoring it specifically to what the employer needs.

Modifying your resume is time consuming, but worth it!

In other words, Lie.
State what you are not.

very soon CVs will no longer be trusted; because of "tailoring"it to job specifics. These days rather than HR managers looking out for abilities, areas of strength and transferable skills. They are looking for specifics. what then do you get, a two to four paged sheet of paper/document filled with lie.

I'm not against tailoring resumes. infarct tailoring resumes is very good and I recommend it. But with such emphasis the applicant is left with little options.
Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by Artistree: 9:01pm On Feb 08, 2013
I am a living eg. I've had diff job offers wtout knowng a single soul including my current 1.
Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by oraphael777(m): 9:03pm On Feb 08, 2013
very thoughtful.... Everyone will sooon get job.
Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by DarryOsh(m): 9:20pm On Feb 08, 2013
come on, there r people who get jobs without knowing anybody.its nt dat bad
Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by chyseth(m): 9:25pm On Feb 08, 2013
my hand is up
Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by DarryOsh(m): 9:39pm On Feb 08, 2013
Kenistry: Well I got some tips frm dis thread..... Bt i need advice and suggestns. I am a graduate of Ind. Chemistry, stayin in Lag, dnt hv d 'hu u knw tin'.. I'm tinkin of going tru consultin firms here in Lagos to help me get a job in a chemical based Industry. Pls wht do u tink abt dis?
Wic consultin firms can i go to? Wht r dier terms of service?
If anyone has gone tru dis method sucessfully b4, pls ur advice & experience will b highly aprieciated. Tnks
u made the mistake of waiting for graduation before beginning ur job hunt.
What i think u shud do is list d companies where u would like to work(at least 20, maybe more). Go to their site, most of them allow you to drop ur cv in d career section. Dont submit ur cv without a cover letter. The cover letter makes ur cv professionally personal(lik someone pointed out) and differentiates u from several others who drop their cvs. Emphasize ur strengths, talk about ur past work experiences(u shud b able to glorify ur little experiences but dont lie). Let them know that u are a creative person who learns fast and is always open to new ideas and eager to learn (i am assuming u are so it wont be a lie) and so on.
So that is what i think u can do. I wish you luck.
Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by Kenistry(m): 10:10pm On Feb 08, 2013
DarryOsh:
u made the mistake of waiting for graduation before beginning ur job hunt.
What i think u shud do is list d companies where u would like to work(at least 20, maybe more). Go to their site, most of them allow you to drop ur cv in d career section. Dont submit ur cv without a cover letter. The cover letter makes ur cv professionally personal(lik someone pointed out) and differentiates u from several others who drop their cvs. Emphasize ur strengths, talk about ur past work experiences(u shud b able to glorify ur little experiences but dont lie). Let them know that u are a creative person who learns fast and is always open to new ideas and eager to learn (i am assuming u are so it wont be a lie) and so on.
So that is what i think u can do. I wish you luck.
tanks alot
Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by jpphilips(m): 11:38pm On Feb 08, 2013
ENDORSED
Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by McLincolnGuzit(m): 11:43pm On Feb 08, 2013
Thank God for this thread but please i need help........WHAT IS A CV.... HOW AND WHAT ARE THE FORMATS OF A CV.,..thanks to anyone that help
Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by Skaylex(m): 11:53pm On Feb 08, 2013
u dull dieeeee
Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by luvola(m): 11:58pm On Feb 08, 2013
i studied accounting. Grade - 2.1 and am seriously looking for job at least to be able to raise some fund for upgrading... Am a fresh graduate and only have lessthan 4month to end nysc... Labour market no easy ... Email - olaklives05@yahoo.com
Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by Nobody: 12:00am On Feb 09, 2013
NICE ONE, TOO MANY BLUNDERS TO WATCH AND CORRECT. THIS SITE HAS ACTUALLY HELPED ALOT OF PEOPLE INCLUDING ME. THANKS FOR SHEARING THIS.
Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by rodeo0070(m): 8:07am On Feb 09, 2013
luvola: i studied accounting. Grade - 2.1 and am seriously looking for job at least to be able to raise some fund for upgrading... Am a fresh graduate and only have lessthan 4month to end nysc... Labour market no easy ... Email - olaklives05@yahoo.com

Just be optimistic and keep applying. Don't ignore any kind of "genuine" job adverts. Don't be selective but don't go for trash...
Before completing your NYSC,what have you done to add value to yourself in terms of education (ICAN, CITN, Peachtree, Tallypro accounting software packages etc) and vocational skills. Make sure you work on those areas especially and In particular vocational skills. Empower yourself with skills class/education won't teach you. While waiting to complete my NYSC bacK then, I gained experience repairing, servicing and maintenance (cleaning and refilling the gas) of AC units, Water dispensers and Refrigerator, eventhough I am a management student. Call it "not befitting" but at least I was not a liability to anyone for the next 1yr and few months after service till I got my current job.
My point is look inward, empower yourself, do what you have to do to be relevant to yourself and the society no matter how small. In your quest for good job, learn new things and like I said, be optimistic...

1 Like

Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by EZECHUKWUE(m): 9:47am On Feb 09, 2013
yeh
Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by StevensJojo(f): 10:21am On Feb 09, 2013

I did.
Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by Princeemzzy(m): 10:24am On Feb 09, 2013
I know more than one person who has got a job from 2010 without any backing
Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by ojoko1(m): 1:45pm On Feb 09, 2013

I know of one.. Me. I applied to Fed Univ, Oye-Ekiti and was employed after 3 exams. Guess dat cools down your curiosity.
Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by Jethrovich(m): 7:17pm On Feb 09, 2013
I used to hear Man know Man until I saw my cousin getting a job in Shell without knowing anybody, that was in 2011 and I was serving then.

I finished serving and in six months vote six job offers that I had to quit Shell for my present jobs.

So if you don't have a good job or anyone at all, you are not good enough and need to learn how to get jobs.

Mind you for the six jobs, didnt know any Jack in those companies
Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by adewasco2k(m): 10:19pm On Feb 09, 2013
Lets me add this as i was a victim too for a while till i found out.

i was using the latest Microsoft Office suite so i did some fancy styling on my resume....but i never knew how it will look on other computers. I was busy sending out my CV not aware how it appers there. i sent my CV to a friend to help print out and submit, that when he called me that "bros na which kind CV be this?" i didnt know what he meant until i looked it up my self on another computer and i felt sorry for myself.

You can actual beat that though, what i will advice is convert your CV to PDF format, in that way you know you are secure.

Just my crazy experience wink

1 Like

Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by Ejaisky: 10:48pm On Feb 09, 2013
jadajada: u mean in d yr 1972?
1972? Was i born then? It was 2010.
Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by AlabaSlim: 7:40pm On Aug 07, 2013
Ooops
Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by AlabaSlim: 7:40pm On Aug 07, 2013
Ooopz
Re: Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. by AlabaSlim: 8:05pm On Aug 07, 2013
Ooopz

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please How Genuine Is This Interview Invite? / What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have / N30,000 Vs N50,000 Job. Nigeria Graduates Are________

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.