Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,836 members, 7,798,816 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:50 AM

Funny Ways You Communicated Before GSM Came To Nigeria - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Funny Ways You Communicated Before GSM Came To Nigeria (15149 Views)

1960bet And There Funny Ways Of Reversing Our Payouts / What First Came To Your Mind When You First Heard The Phrase "EKO ONI BAJE" / Ways You Can Waste Money Without Realizing It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Funny Ways You Communicated Before GSM Came To Nigeria by adorable29(f): 6:31pm On Feb 11, 2013
To our pple in d diaspora, my mum ll record voice messages into an audio cassette player(both on the right and left side). Send it via anyone comin home from abroad! They did same and sent it down to her in Nigeria. Mhen, sounds kinda wierd now tho! Lol

3 Likes

Re: Funny Ways You Communicated Before GSM Came To Nigeria by Nobody: 6:39pm On Feb 11, 2013
Then I have to trek for 15 minutes to my babes place then hang around till whenever she is ready to wash dishes under the mango tree right in front of her house grin grin......so funny I do all these just to see her face,sometimes we end up not saying a word to each other after the long wait but the smiles alone is worth it grin. Love has meaning then cos everyday was an adventure....on market days she writes me a love letter which I have to pick up at a specified spot along the tiny bush part. I remember smiling down the tiny push path on a valentine's day to pick up my letter all of a sudden this wicked hen with chicks chased me back home. That fowl injure me sha cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Funny Ways You Communicated Before GSM Came To Nigeria by indoorlove(m): 6:52pm On Feb 11, 2013
'U mean if so doxology' era?
Re: Funny Ways You Communicated Before GSM Came To Nigeria by alphaconde(m): 7:08pm On Feb 11, 2013
Seewealth: things have really changed. even the internet, i remember i paid somebody to open email address for me. he charged me about N100, i think. chaii.. i fall mugu

do u think it is easy to open emails

1 Like

Re: Funny Ways You Communicated Before GSM Came To Nigeria by Nosyke(m): 7:11pm On Feb 11, 2013
colly227: Then I have to trek for 15 minutes to my babes place then hang around till whenever she is ready to wash dishes under the mango tree right in front of her house grin grin......so funny I do all these just to see her face,sometimes we end up not saying a word to each other after the long wait but the smiles alone is worth it grin. Love has meaning then cos everyday was an adventure....on market days she writes me a love letter which I have to pick up at a specified spot along the tiny bush part. I remember smiling down the tiny push path on a valentine's day to pick up my letter all of a sudden this wicked hen with chicks chased me back home. That fowl injure me sha cheesy cheesy

Bros, u no talk wetin u do, how chicken go dey pursue u??lolzzz

1 Like

Re: Funny Ways You Communicated Before GSM Came To Nigeria by Nobody: 7:27pm On Feb 11, 2013
Nosyke:

Bros, u no talk wetin u do, how chicken go dey pursue u??lolzzz

E be like say you never see wicked village fowl wey go follow you do 100metres lol

1 Like

Re: Funny Ways You Communicated Before GSM Came To Nigeria by Jaftee(m): 7:32pm On Feb 11, 2013
In those days, if you report a problem to NITEL, it will take 4ever to come and fixed it, even if they come, u will have to be the one to carry their ladder about apart 4rm the bribe they collect. but now, if you are not certisfied with a network u jst remove the sim and throw without any shege.

1 Like

Re: Funny Ways You Communicated Before GSM Came To Nigeria by Toosure70: 8:01pm On Feb 11, 2013
Seewealth: Some times i like thinking about the period when there was no GSM. i cannot help but laugh about the various ways i communicated to reach family and friends. i was in Imo then and always looked forward to hear that somebody came back from Lagos so that he would take my letters to lagos. that is if i dont want to use post office. that is funny now cos from your phone you can just send text. wao. thank God for this new era. share yours pls.
and some idiat dey yab my obj
Re: Funny Ways You Communicated Before GSM Came To Nigeria by Btruth: 9:47pm On Feb 11, 2013
fittty: Is this supposed to be here? undecided

Yes. It is. It's a free world remember.
Re: Funny Ways You Communicated Before GSM Came To Nigeria by BecaciaBarbie(f): 10:30pm On Feb 11, 2013
delors: I remember when I was at schol then - secondary school and all man don broke die and mumsy never show up for visiting, I would compose a very long letter and send it to my mum in Lagos from Ibadan through the post office...I swear, after 3 months, na me dey always receive the letter for house because school self go don go on vacation...na wah o...I just wonder how I survived then...God noni anyway.
Lmaoooooooo! grin grin grin
Re: Funny Ways You Communicated Before GSM Came To Nigeria by BecaciaBarbie(f): 10:35pm On Feb 11, 2013
Lool..back in d days when we use d word 'Ditto' nd also kiss d surface of every love letter wid heavy red lipstick...
Re: Funny Ways You Communicated Before GSM Came To Nigeria by dealordea(m): 12:46am On Feb 12, 2013
delors: I remember when I was at schol then - secondary school and all man don broke die and mumsy never show up for visiting, I would compose a very long letter and send it to my mum in Lagos from Ibadan through the post office...I swear, after 3 months, na me dey always receive the letter for house because school self go don go on vacation...na wah o...I just wonder how I survived then...God noni anyway.

Hope nobi GCI chairman?? I remember we have to trek from apata to odo-ona to make call at Nitel phone boot with empty stomach just to inform them at home that money have been exhuasted and all you get in return as pocket money was 300 naira for the remain term... Hell sufferness
Re: Funny Ways You Communicated Before GSM Came To Nigeria by dealordea(m): 12:49am On Feb 12, 2013
Seewealth: things have really changed. even the internet, i remember i paid somebody to open email address for me. he charged me about N100, i think. chaii.. i fall mugu

So funny, you paid 100 naira just to get email address... Makes me wonder where on earth are you when I open my first email address way back in 1998... Onebox and toast.com and co... Am sure yahoo boys are still running in pants...
Re: Funny Ways You Communicated Before GSM Came To Nigeria by ocelot2006(m): 1:10am On Feb 12, 2013
Snail mail + Nitel payphones (landline). Those days sucked bigtime. But thank Gid for the GSM revolution.
Re: Funny Ways You Communicated Before GSM Came To Nigeria by bodik(m): 7:20am On Feb 12, 2013
whenever you visit friends or family and no one is at home,there is always a small visitors notepad and pen for you to drop a note,
Re: Funny Ways You Communicated Before GSM Came To Nigeria by Jolomsguy(m): 8:27am On Feb 12, 2013
Really really funny, I can’t stop laughing here, I just remembered what we use to do when our Dad padlock the box due to exorbitant cost incurred.
I also heard that, they are selling the phone now and is hot cake; does anyone have idea on who’s buying them? I think is till have one in our old house.
Pls mail jiboyo11@gmail.com or call me 08186099992.
Thanks
Re: Funny Ways You Communicated Before GSM Came To Nigeria by Nobody: 5:49pm On Feb 12, 2013
owning an email address was like owning a range rover sport now.
Re: Funny Ways You Communicated Before GSM Came To Nigeria by komek(m): 9:17pm On Feb 12, 2013
[quote author=Seewealth]things have really changed. even the internet, i remember i paid somebody to open email address for me. he charged me about N100, i think. chaii.. i fall mugu[/quote
LMAO.. Even me o.that was far back 1999
Re: Funny Ways You Communicated Before GSM Came To Nigeria by Engrkingsley(m): 6:05am On Feb 13, 2013
Love letters et all was kinda d best ways Ooº°Ú Ú°ºoo..if u know what I mean
Re: Funny Ways You Communicated Before GSM Came To Nigeria by Streett: 5:11pm On Jun 30, 2023
OkikiOluwa1:
I use post office & Nitel land lines.
I remembered this Ijebu woman (Màmá Àjà Kejì) that was living in our family house back in the early 90s. She short, fat with big breastt & yansh. Na provisions she dey sell o but her market na imported & too dey expensive. That's why we gave her the nickname 'Mama Imported'. She ll rush down to our apartment to receive calls from her daughter who lives in USA. Atimes she dey receive calls for 1-2hrs. The woman enjoyed our landline phone no be small. When she wan komot, na so she go dey roll bom-bom dey twist give my grandpa signal. Even @ 50something years back then. Heard my grandpa later taught her some bedmatics from the amebos in our street. Eg, Mama Sunday eléwa (beans seller). That woman ehn, her akropo too much. She can use her mouth to destroy a marriage in two weeks.
Exit thread.

…..

9 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need Websites Where I Can Buy Mobile Phones,clothings Online Without OTP? / Narialand Pics / Something You Dislike As You Grow Older

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.