Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,567 members, 7,809,066 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:11 PM

Hp Pavilion Laptop Dv6700 With Starcomms Evdo Data Card: Help Needed - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Hp Pavilion Laptop Dv6700 With Starcomms Evdo Data Card: Help Needed (5749 Views)

Clean Hp Pavilion Dv6700 With Fingerprint 25k / How To Unlock Multilinks Evdo Modem To Work With Mtn Network / Surf The Net Without Using Mtn Data Card/evdo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hp Pavilion Laptop Dv6700 With Starcomms Evdo Data Card: Help Needed by drumma(m): 7:20pm On Mar 11, 2008
Hello Guys,
I seem to have a little problem, I want to buy a laptop within the next few hours and the laptop is an HP Pavilion Laptop DV6700 and I'll like to know if the Starcomms Evdo Data Card can work with it cause when I went to the starcomms office I was told i have to bring the laptop first for them to see which means I have to pay for the laptop and I don't want anything that'll inconvenient me cos there's no point buying a Laptop when i can't use an Evdo Data Card on it.

So please guys help me see to this if you have or know someone who's using this spec of laptop with the EVDO card please let me know before i go and buy what i won't use, Tanx
Re: Hp Pavilion Laptop Dv6700 With Starcomms Evdo Data Card: Help Needed by lynxnoon(m): 2:12am On Mar 12, 2008
the HP dv6700 uses express card slot and d evdo is on pcmcia card which is not on dis laptop
d only solution to dis is d 2nd option i.e d usb modem for evdo; but i bet u they will tell u dey will tell u its not available (tho they r advertising it on dia website ) so its either u check their headquarters on d island or get a laptop wit pcmcia slot (but men most recent lappys dont have it oh , tho my laptop has both slots grin grin)
Cheers
PS: i hope dis gets to u b4 u buy d laptop or perhaps bone d evdo jo!!
Re: Hp Pavilion Laptop Dv6700 With Starcomms Evdo Data Card: Help Needed by drumma(m): 8:00am On Mar 12, 2008
Lynx, thanks so much for the advise but alternative means do you think I can use to get the laptop browsing cos its like i've made up my mind to buy the Laptop cos I've commited myself to the seller so please if you know any other thing i can use apart from the CDMA shit I would really appreciate it cos I want something wireless the only cable i can condone is my laptop charger.
Thanks
Re: Hp Pavilion Laptop Dv6700 With Starcomms Evdo Data Card: Help Needed by earthrealm(m): 8:24am On Mar 12, 2008
i heard that there is an adaptor in the market,

try n locate it
Re: Hp Pavilion Laptop Dv6700 With Starcomms Evdo Data Card: Help Needed by drumma(m): 8:51am On Mar 12, 2008
You by any chance know the name of the adaptor?
Re: Hp Pavilion Laptop Dv6700 With Starcomms Evdo Data Card: Help Needed by lynxnoon(m): 11:53pm On Mar 12, 2008
@drumma
u can get d cable adapter in computer village but that would mean extra cable along wit your laptop charger wink
as for oda ISP options:
i use DirectonPC but wit d desktop modem (men d laptop card dey expensive 44k angry)
Reltel has a wireless option for 10k monthly (24/7) wit 8k for laptop modem tho connectivity depends on location n d connection kips breaking evrytym
Come to think of it , all this ISPs laptop cards r on pcmcia , i don't think any of them has upgraded to d express card yet
Info for you --- dos pcmcia cards makes laptops get hot frequently; but den, bin really mobile is d thing now wink wink
Re: Hp Pavilion Laptop Dv6700 With Starcomms Evdo Data Card: Help Needed by drumma(m): 2:26pm On Mar 13, 2008
Lynx,
thanks so much for your response I actually went to their office today and they told me to get some adaptor for 25k and then the EVDO CARD for another 23k do you think its better i stay with that or just look for another means? another thing is that EVDO shit does actually have some location designated to it but luckily my area is among at least Bariga and Akoka was showed on the map so would you ask me to settle for the EVDO by starcomms?
Re: Hp Pavilion Laptop Dv6700 With Starcomms Evdo Data Card: Help Needed by lynxnoon(m): 2:42am On Mar 14, 2008
@drumma
well if u r bent on using starcomm evdo n u hav 25k to spare (tho i tink d adapter will be cheaper in comp village tho they may want u to buy frm them)
I wud rather go for anoda ISP since it wont really be portable wen using an adapter and also d cost implication e.g my DOPC desktop modem costs 26.2k n a 3 months susbcription = 21k(i.e 7k/month) or 35k for 6 months(i.e 5.8k/month) which totals to 47.2k or 61.2k while for evdo u'll get connected wit 49k b4 d monthly subscription of 15k monthly shocked shocked
Ehh my guy even if dont want to use DOPC i tink d evdo option is way too expensive
My sincere advice to u is to do enuf research on various ISPs (check dia sites, compare tariffs, availabilty) b4 u go 4 any one
P.S: create a thread for dis while doing ur survey to c pples response
Dis will require u being patient oh wink wink
Cheers
Re: Hp Pavilion Laptop Dv6700 With Starcomms Evdo Data Card: Help Needed by blacklion(m): 12:03am On Mar 15, 2008
@lynxnoon,

how's your experience with DOPC thus far? How is the browsing speed during business hours? Can you watch youtube? Can you download mp3s easily?

I use Swift Networks WIMAX with a router but I am considering a really mobile solution for my laptop. SWIFT service is very patchy these days - very slow in the daytime but a bit better at night.
Re: Hp Pavilion Laptop Dv6700 With Starcomms Evdo Data Card: Help Needed by WAVixen: 8:58am On Mar 15, 2008
@ black lion. Direct on Pc is good depending on your location.My friend living at Iddo enjoys fantastic service. Due to the high rise he lives in and lack of interference from base stations and other wireless networks available in the vicinity.All these contribute in thwarting good reception and excellent speed.

Youtube is being watched in it's full glory in a mintue or two.It's a one touch operation.Where I live , the network isn't as fantastic as my pal's. But all in all the service is better.But disconnects and reconnects on it's own accord. Due to the earlier explained reasons I gave. Check out if there are any of these before you take the plunge.
Re: Hp Pavilion Laptop Dv6700 With Starcomms Evdo Data Card: Help Needed by lynxnoon(m): 11:01am On Mar 19, 2008
blacklion:

@lynxnoon,

how's your experience with DOPC thus far? How is the browsing speed during business hours? Can you watch youtube? Can you download mp3s easily?

I use Swift Networks WIMAX with a router but I am considering a really mobile solution for my laptop. SWIFT service is very patchy these days - very slow in the daytime but a bit better at night.
i cant really say abt office hours because my suscription is 6pm - 8am weekdays n 24/7 weekends starting frm 6pm on Fri
Tho i'd say d browsing speed is ok n sometimes can be very fast but it disconnects n resets ocassionally
I feel d main thing is d coverage area n signal strength ur modem can pick
I've checked out SWIFT site tho i dont know how fast their connection speed is bt its way too expensive compared to DOPC
Well, all i can say is carry out a good survey of all dis ISPs b4 u mk ur decision wink wink
Cheers smiley smiley
Re: Hp Pavilion Laptop Dv6700 With Starcomms Evdo Data Card: Help Needed by blacklion(m): 11:08am On Mar 19, 2008
thanks guys!!! i'll think carefully about it b/c my house and office are full of so many multilinks and starcomms deskphone, mobiles, data card etc, etc which i purchased over the years and had to dump when the service got too lousy.

my experience with SWIFT so far is that the browsing/download speed is discernibly better at night and on weekends. It gets real slow and disconnects often during business hours on weekdays. I'm not too far from a SWIFT mast at Ilupeju and there are not too many tall buildings near me. Mostly duplexes or 2 storey apartment blocks.

lynx, the SWIFT product similar to yours [6pm-6am] goes for N6k/mth. Its not too bad. The 24/7 package goes for N15k/mth while the office hours package [8am-6pm] goes for N10k/mth
Re: Hp Pavilion Laptop Dv6700 With Starcomms Evdo Data Card: Help Needed by lynxnoon(m): 11:17am On Mar 19, 2008
@blacklion
DOPCs HQ is in Ilupeju so coverage shouldn't be a problem
my own subcribtion is 9k/mth or 21k/3mth or 35k/6mth wile d 24/7 (depending on bandwith size) goes for 12k/mth, cant remember d rate for d oda options bt wil post it later
Cheers smiley
Re: Hp Pavilion Laptop Dv6700 With Starcomms Evdo Data Card: Help Needed by tuyo: 4:12pm On Jun 12, 2008
Whaddup people,

Anyone out there using DirectonPC in Festac Town? Contemplating hooking up with a good broadband ISP. DoPC is looking like the best at the moment but i would like to know how strong their signal in Festac is.

Thanks. PEACE,
Re: Hp Pavilion Laptop Dv6700 With Starcomms Evdo Data Card: Help Needed by lynxnoon(m): 9:04pm On Jun 12, 2008
@tuyo
check out this map below(I stay in Oshodi & d signal strength & quality is full),
I gess this should clear your doubts
Cheers wink wink

Re: Hp Pavilion Laptop Dv6700 With Starcomms Evdo Data Card: Help Needed by DualCore1: 9:32pm On Jun 12, 2008
yea the adaptor for pcmcia cards sells for 23k here in PH, but mehn! u dont want to see wht my lappy looks like when tht adaptor is connected, the adaptor plus the evdo card just make the lappy resemble machine gun, seriously is very inconvenient.
Re: Hp Pavilion Laptop Dv6700 With Starcomms Evdo Data Card: Help Needed by dragnet: 12:32pm On Jun 14, 2008
ak-47 ;d
Re: Hp Pavilion Laptop Dv6700 With Starcomms Evdo Data Card: Help Needed by lynxnoon(m): 5:28pm On Jun 14, 2008
@DC,
hw u dey? long tym, am sure u r enjoying PH
u said d pcmcia card costs 23k, is it frm DOPC?, d card costs 44k in lag (except it's been reduced)
Anyhw, wats up? i tried opening PCTALK but site wasn't opening completely, hw far?
Re: Hp Pavilion Laptop Dv6700 With Starcomms Evdo Data Card: Help Needed by sunboy(m): 8:01pm On May 27, 2009
Who knows if the starcomms data card works with hp 6735s, cos i already pre-ordered one from some1. Guys make una put mouth o
Re: Hp Pavilion Laptop Dv6700 With Starcomms Evdo Data Card: Help Needed by MTLT: 11:40am On May 31, 2009
Do not make simple to be complicated. Expert guides you like this: buy EVDO USB modern which is applicable for all the systems (laptops and desktops), it's obvious that all the systems have USB port (even more than one), while there is only one PCMA port if you are lucky on your laptop. So why do you like to take trouble to buy PCMA modern EVDO? let alone the adapter (quite stupid to spend extra money), and if your PCMA port is faulty, even you pray, it could not be working.
And also do not necessary focus your eyes only on Starcomms, you have better choice for EVDO. Yes, you choose a faster and more reliable EVDO USB modern from Multi-Links Telkom. If you need to know more about it, feel free to contact me at chenyouran@yahoo.com or leave your number to my box and I will call back.
Remember: you get knowledge you get power.

(1) (Reply)

Mtn Charging Me For Internet Use,even Having Paid For Bis! / I Need Mtn Usb Modem Cheat / Just Tried Shipping From Amazon Directly And Guess What?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.