Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,329 members, 7,780,853 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:37 AM

The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi (57123 Views)

How To Upgrade Your ND And HND Certificate To BSC - See Step / Best Way To Upgrade Hnd Certificate / Hnd Holders, Universities With Hnd To Bsc Conversion Programme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by malignant1: 7:48pm On Feb 21, 2013
I commend the OP for articulating this home-truth. As a HND and BSc holder, I'm in the best position to analyze the quality of training in the polytechnics and universities.
For a start, I studied Elect/Elect Engineering in IMT Enugu, then later studied MLS at UNEC. Throughout my stay in IMT, no Ph.D holder taught me(some were even HND holders). The best I got was master's. As a matter of fact, my rector(Dr. Onyishi) was one of the few Ph.D holders in my school. I could remember vividly that each course was taught by a single lecturer from the beginning to the end of the semester. I was disillusioned with a feeling that I was not learning.
Contrast the above with what I got when I entered UNN. One lecturer taught only one topic in a course. Some topics were taught by two or more lecturers. Not more than 3 master degree holders taught me throughout my stay in UNN. I was taught by professors from my first year. I was taught by close to 50 different lecturers in my first year alone. I was overwhelmed with arrays of knowledge and info at my disposal. The quality of students that I met in UNN were better than that of IMT. The level of discipline was higher in the univeristy unlike polytechnic where everything goes.
In conclusion, there is a chasm between the products of the polytechnics and quality universities.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by israelboy1(m): 7:50pm On Feb 21, 2013
thou this is a good observation, but the question i wil luv to trow to all the view is must there be different institutions, cnt they merge into each other, so as to avoid all this sort of discriminations?

www.facebook.com/meshileyaisraelarticles
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by Phikom(m): 7:54pm On Feb 21, 2013
i reserve my comment....
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by meerah25(f): 7:56pm On Feb 21, 2013
Whatever!. . .well iam HND graduate,im proud of it. . .i spend almst six years in the polytechnic. . .wr im serving now,we have university graduate. . .lol the can't speak good English. . .only in Nigeria u ll fine disperity mentality . . .
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by kalunomics(m): 7:57pm On Feb 21, 2013
adconline: Now that I have graduated with a BSc, can I get a job?
i must confess, that line got me cracking

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by benzion72(m): 8:05pm On Feb 21, 2013
Good write up, with a fair few. But you need more than a degree to survive today's world. In fact I can say the present educational set up is a waste of people time, money and energy. People still study dead men theory for year and get certificated not knowing today's market current demand. I think young people should identify their talent and use everything within them to develop it, until they become a master in it. That I think is what education should be.

2 Likes

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by ishmael(m): 8:08pm On Feb 21, 2013
Ashmark: Am happy I graduatd frm a University.Throughout my days in the University,it was Drs nd Prof that lecture me...
it's not true. Some of ur lecturers had masters degree and were probably doing their PhD. I studied in a 1st generation university too.

1 Like

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by FXKing2012(m): 8:08pm On Feb 21, 2013
meerah25: Whatever!. . .well iam HND graduate,im proud of it. . .i spend almst six years in the polytechnic. . .wr im serving now,we have university graduate. . .lol the can't speak good English. . .only in Nigeria u ll fine disperity mentality . . .
Be careful how you say some cant speak good English when writing very bad English. You wrote a very bad English just to tell us some university graduates cant speak good English...pot calling kettle black.

4 Likes

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by oddy4real(m): 8:12pm On Feb 21, 2013
meerah25: Whatever!. . .well iam HND graduate,im proud of it. . .i spend almst six years in the polytechnic. . .wr im serving now,we have university graduate. . .lol the can't speak good English. . .only in Nigeria u ll fine disperity mentality . . .
Na Poly you go true true, ur grammar na wa!!!

4 Likes

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by ebunma: 8:13pm On Feb 21, 2013
You have said it all...not until Prof and PhD holders are employed to teach in Poly things will remain the same. Nice write up Femi.
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by Lordwize(m): 8:20pm On Feb 21, 2013
Where is the stand of Nigerian Universities in Africa and the world at large? The doctors and professors without research work, the nation is not serious. Give both the degrees and the HNDs the same test and employ the best. We put too much emphasis on certificate, that the so-called PHDs and master degrees holders, are struggling to be Dangote's truck driver. God help Nigeria.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by vision2050: 8:22pm On Feb 21, 2013
Degree holders spent 4-5 years in school employe on level 08/step2

HND holder 4 years level 7/step1

NCE with 3years level 7/1. In the civil service if you have been working with your HND cert with 7 or more years experience you are subordinate to a degree holder that just get employ....
HND cert. are ridicule in the service, before if you have OND one can do ASSCON examination once you passed it you become an Admin. Officer now the case is different.. to do ASSCON exam you must posses degree cert. Imagine HND holder on GL14/5 with 20 years experience is subordinate to Admin officer on GL09/2 with 5 years.... To my own view the system is wrong someone should please correct it. Everybody cant have the privilege to go university and at the first place what is the essence of established polytechnic and college of education if they know that this foul play will occur?

1 Like

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by ishmael(m): 8:29pm On Feb 21, 2013
ebunma: You have said it all...not until Prof and PhD holders are employed to teach in Poly things will remain the same. Nice write up Femi.
No, the profs and PhD holders are not technically good to some extent, so what will they be teaching in the poly? Theory? In a school where so much technical knowledge and skills are needed at ND & HND levels to distinguish the poly graduates from the uni graduates? The poly will need profs and PhD holders when they start running their own masters and PhD programmes, which would be more of theory and research. For now they need skills and technical knowledge which can be given to them by msc, bsc and hnd holders.
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by mayoroflag(m): 8:30pm On Feb 21, 2013
Avoid the arguments. The markets will decide. Unfortunately the markets are on the side of Unis most of the time. Polytechnics do have application advantage in some courses and some schools have made good use of proving so (ask ICAN, CIBN etc. where HND grads are more rated than B.Sc).

However, some top-flight industries, especially investment banking/ management, auditing, consulting and some commercial banks insist on B.Sc holders. Life is short, they won't wait to listen to you proving your competence as a HND holder. Get a 6 month upgrade from a UK university by distance learning :www.rdi.co.uk

Talking from a wealth of discriminated and constrained experience....!

1 Like

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by honey001(m): 8:35pm On Feb 21, 2013
tallfish145: It is very vertain that the writer of this article is myopic in some aspect like the issue of being taught by a professor. Some degree holding lectueres perform far more better than those prof who got their professorship through what u and I know. To be very frank,this is not suppose to be a problem in job selection because what really matters is what such applicant can offer and not the institution attended,even employers of labour know this. Meanwhile I believes that very soon this nonsense will stop in Nigeria. I am proud of fed. Poly. Ede,osun state!

Good to see my Institution being represented.

1 Like

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by Nobody: 8:49pm On Feb 21, 2013
OND, NCE, HND, PGD, BSC, MSC, PHD and (or) PROFFESSORSHIP, the reason why you went to school is to know how to read, write and reason, and not to parade your certificate and discriminate on those that have lesser certificate than yours even when you and your pets knows that they are better than you.

BSC certificate will not add a penny to your wallet, likewise HND, If you're a nigerian graduate and you can't manufacture 'common' tooth pick, shame on you.

I'm a university graduate, and in my place of work i always bow down my head with shame like an un-erected pennnnnis whenever those polytechnic guys are doing magic with their brains and hands.

5 Likes

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by ijele(m): 8:51pm On Feb 21, 2013
Interesting Topic; so if a HND holder gets a PGD,do he stand a chance? And if he proceeds and gets Master degree, will he be recognized in civil service?
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by Nobody: 8:52pm On Feb 21, 2013
IF Government provide Employment, This won't be an issue at all
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by oiseworld: 9:03pm On Feb 21, 2013
mali_gnant: I commend the OP for articulating this home-truth. As a HND and BSc holder, I'm in the best position to analyze the quality of training in the polytechnics and universities.
For a start, I studied Elect/Elect Engineering in IMT Enugu, then later studied MLS at UNEC. Throughout my stay in IMT, no Ph.D holder taught me(some were even HND holders). The best I got was master's. As a matter of fact, my rector(Dr. Onyishi) is one of the few Ph.D holders in my school. I could remember vividly that a each course was taught by a single lecturer from the beginning to the end of the semester. I was disillusioned with a feeling that I was not learning.
Contrast the above with what I got when I entered UNN. One lecturer taught only one topic in a course. Some topics were taught by two or more lecturers. Not more than 3 master degree holders taught me throughout my stay in UNN. I was taught by professors from my first year. I was taught by close to 50 different lecturers in my first year alone. I was overwhelmed with arrays of knowledge and info. The quality of students that I met in UNN were better than that of IMT. The level of discipline was higher in univeristy unlike polytechnic where everything goes.
In conclusion, there is a chasm between the products of the polytechnics and quality universities.

All ur professors and phd holders can not lectture outside the given and acceptable syllabus. There is little difference btw the uni syllabus to that of the polytecnic for each particular course. That both institutions continue to churn out half baked graduate should be our concern, not which is superior to the other. The op already gave a valid point in his first two paragraphs. The fact that the universities continue to give high certifications like msc,phd and professorship is what gives the university an edge, not their graduate. Every graduate has his name to answer.

Its a pity that the UK (our fathers) have moved on. China and the US equates both certificate. Sooooo
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by Nobody: 9:04pm On Feb 21, 2013
Whenever I think of the job opportunities I missed because I have HND, I feel like tearing the stupid paper. HND is nothing but a waste of time. I even tried and did my pgd, but the University won't admit me for my Msc the reason is because I graduated from a polytechnic. Even with pgd the stigma is still there HND is nothing but a dieses.

2 Likes

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by kundul: 9:05pm On Feb 21, 2013
Point of correction wt polytechnic offer is NATIONAL DIPLOMA (ND) not ORDINARY NATIONAL DIPLOMA (OND) dey r completly diffrnt tins. Pls note

1 Like

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by MEGAWATCH: 9:07pm On Feb 21, 2013
How can all these hypes create employment for all these surfering and furstrated Nigerian HND and BSC holders.Nonsense country with nonsense system.
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by oderemo(m): 9:14pm On Feb 21, 2013
nigerian and certificates that have not transformed or make any meaning to 150 mill.ppl.
can u tell me what cert, muhammed and jesus christ got, richard branson,warren buffet,chart show host oprah winfrey,puff daddy,
i can continue but i would not.
the point is your phd/master degree that u acqiure simply to defraud and steal frm the system is at best a wasted one.
more significant isnt our president a phd holder and we r still languishing in abject darkness cant boast of a decent highway frm north to sth.
abeg op free your mind .
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by Nobody: 9:15pm On Feb 21, 2013
the analysis the writer gave here is correct!! folks the bitter truth here is that the present economic system in todays world has failed wholefully. i mean why will a person having spent alot of money attending a university e.t.c not be able to find a something to do after graduating. the reality is that there are very few opportunities out there for everyone including grads. almost everything is gotten by connection!!!
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by saved: 9:18pm On Feb 21, 2013
Omuha: Nigerians as always miss the point,the polytechnics were built to provide skilled labour,the universities highly skilled labour.You will find very good polytechnic graduates no doubt,but the average polytechnic graduate does not measure up to the average university graduate because they were not primed for the same thing. I attended the university of Jos & throughout my stay there I sat under the annointing of about 20 professors & a myriad of doctors.When I moved to my department proper(200level) if u do not have your PhD u were not allowed to lecture me. How then can u place such product(not particularly me,as I must never seem immodest)with a polytechnic graduate who was most likely lectured by master degree holders? Some of my lecturers taught me things they discovered themselves,scientific knowledge known to only a few on earth.
:- Sir, i quite agree with you on the objectives of establishing these schools. But, i have a contrary opinion about performances of products of both. I have tasted both sides of the divide and i put it to NLanders that polytechnic graduates are practically oriented and better than university graduates. While university graduates are more theoretical and are better than polytechnic graduates in Planning and policy formulations. Both complement each other. Thanks.
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by elklehamite(m): 9:21pm On Feb 21, 2013
1)Rhames,WHAT SECTION OF THE CONSTITUTION OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA empowers the federal civil service or any agencies/organization alike to discriminate or place dichotomy against HND graduates in this country? 2)It is most unfortunate that we allow sentiment/selfishness to becloud our sense of reasoning/judgement. Both the university and polytechnic institution are set up for their own peculiarities which of course should give no room/bases for disparity/discrimination.To the best of my knowledge,university institution is made to be 60% theoretical/research and 40% practical while polytechnic is 40% theoretical and 60% practical spending 6 good years to graduate HND. And when it comes to work environment you discover that polytechnic graduates have always proved themselves and performs better than their university counterpart. This is without bias for the reality, a man ignores today will definitely stares at his face tomorrow.Other countries of the world have used polytechnic to build their economy and i think we should be advising/urging the Government of the day to do than placing the sentiment on Doctors/Professors lecturers.

1 Like

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by AK481(m): 9:22pm On Feb 21, 2013
I dey come
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by AK481(m): 9:22pm On Feb 21, 2013
meerah25: Whatever!. . .well I am a HND graduate and I am proud of it.
i spent almost six years in the polytechnic. In where I am serving,we have a university graduate that can't speak good English.

only in Nigeria u ll find such situation . . .

Madam,I am pyguru and I have just auto corrected your stinking english.she can't speak and you can't write.
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by Nobody: 9:38pm On Feb 21, 2013
i for one believe if as a country we want, we cud create a perfectly working system where everyone will be employed, everyone roundedly wealthy and no poverty
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by jmslimx(m): 9:42pm On Feb 21, 2013
I totally disagree with the writer of this article on basics of 90% , I went to abia state polytechnic and through out my stay in that school , i was even more happier going to a poly than a uni , These are my reasons , i dont think the guy who wrote this article actually did a research on what a polytechnic means and whats the difference between a polytechnic and a university , for Nigeria situation is just about monopoly when it comes to Polytechnic grads and university Grads. When i was in the poly i remembered vividly i use to write project for uniport , unical, uni uyo computer science final year student on there project , Most polytechnic i have visited where also doing good accada wise , so i do advice the guy who wrote this article to go make some research before vomiting a whole lot of jargon.

The lectures whom have lectured me in my own school are highly educated and some of them got PHD and Masters so i dont know what this brother is saying , the real issue is the Equation from the Educational board of Nigeria and the society it self , i am very proud i went to a polytechnic which gave me the privilege to be whom i am today .

In the advance world this is how they see it

Polytechnic vs University

We all know the significance and importance of universities in higher studies. There are universities in all major cities of different countries, but it is too much to expect universities to cater to every section of a population because of resources required. Though, every attempt is made by universities to provide education to students in arts, science, law, commerce, business, engineering and medical streams, it is seen that specialized institutions that are set up for imparting education in a particular stream are somewhat more successful because of centralized processes. This is precisely the reason why we see emergence of polytechnics in various parts of the world, where there is greater emphasis on imparting technical education, and the courses are designed to be more practical than the theory oriented courses in universities. There are many more differences between universities and polytechnics that will be talked about in this article.

In many countries, polytechnics are considered as engineering schools which is only partially correct. These are educational settings that are made use of in imparting practical knowledge and apart from engineering degrees; these centers are used to provide knowledge in applied sciences and industrial arts. This is of great help to students who want a degree or diploma that gets them immediate jobs after completion. There is also a difference in the duration of courses. In universities, courses typically are of longer duration, taking 2-5 years to complete, whereas polytechnics are famous for diplomas and certificates in industrial arts that get completed in 6-12 months and a students gets absorbed in the industry immediately thus, solving the problem of unemployment greatly.

In brief:

Difference Between Polytechnic and University

• Universities are broader in approach, and teach subjects with an emphasis on imparting basic knowledge with a lot of theoretical aspect with a little bit of projects work and lab assignments.

• On the other hand, polytechnics are more practical in their approach, and take up smaller courses that are industry specific and not taught in universities.

• So in addition to engineering degrees, there is a plethora of other courses, diplomas, and certificates that are offered in these polytechnics that are of shorter duration and help students in getting jobs in industries.

Read more: http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-polytechnic-and-vs-university/#ixzz2LZIlZcVW

3 Likes

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by trisurface: 9:48pm On Feb 21, 2013
Entry requirements for students and employment criteria for lecturers into polytechnics are lower than you would find in a University, Normally.
I disagree that the disparity is always enforced.
I am a polytechnic graduate but that's never stopped me at an interview panel nor getting a clients business.
I agree I'm not typical.
Lastly, if I could, I would go back through a University.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Olumuyiwa Oludayo Sacked As Covenant University Registrar Over Sex Scandal / Black Panther In UNILAG Final Year Medical Exam Question (photo) / The Sociologist And Anthropologist Thread(Official)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.