Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,338 members, 7,808,194 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:27 AM

The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi (57233 Views)

How To Upgrade Your ND And HND Certificate To BSC - See Step / Best Way To Upgrade Hnd Certificate / Hnd Holders, Universities With Hnd To Bsc Conversion Programme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by Nobody: 10:00pm On Feb 21, 2013
I totally disagree with the writer of this article on
basics of 90%
, I went to abia state polytechnic and
through out my stay in that school , i was even more happier going to a poly than a uni ,
@ jmslimx, Abia state poly is one of the worst institutions I know. It suffers from very poor quality of undergraduates, over-population of students (extremely large student/lecturer ratio) and poor infrastructure. You can hardly see an Abia poly student speak or write English properly. Level of exposure amongst students is very low and 'sorting' of lecturers is commonplace.
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by malignant1: 10:04pm On Feb 21, 2013
oiseworld:

All ur professors and phd holders can not lectture outside the given and acceptable syllabus. There is little difference btw the uni syllabus to that of the polytecnic for each particular course. That both institutions continue to churn out half baked graduate should be our concern, not which is superior to the other. The op already gave a valid point in his first two paragraphs. The fact that the universities continue to give high certifications like msc,phd and professorship is what gives the university an edge, not their graduate. Every graduate has his name to answer.

Its a pity that the UK (our fathers) have moved on. China and the US equates both certificate. Sooooo
If the university professors are limited by syllabus, then the polytechnic lecturers are restricted even more. I must tell you on good account that university professors are liberal, while polytechnic lecturers are conservatives. My lecturers in the university encouraged free thinking. They even encouraged us to question every acceptable theories and laws.
Talk of quality, they are miles apart. The difference is clear. I remember that one of my polytechnic lecturer whom we nicknamed "Mr. Kirchoff" spent 3 lecture periods trying to solve a calculation using Kirchoff law. He could not solve it at the end of the day. To our amazement, he gave us the same calculation which he could not solve in our exam.
My other lecturer had been teaching with the same note for 15 years with no revision.
To be candid, master degree holders were barred from lecturing us from my second year. In fact, it was doctors and professors all the way. We were encouraged to support our assertions with evidence. As a matter of fact, it was evidence-based stuffs all the way.
Most of my university lecturers were in tune with the latest technology. We were encouraged to source for the latest information on every topic.
How do you expect the product of such lecturers to dull?
No doubt, some universities produce half-baked graduates. I remember that I used to write exams for ESUT undergraduates when I was still in my ND in IMT. However, my emphasis is on quality universities(mostly the first generation universities).
Though, I met many bright students that can beat university students in their game any time, any day; but their ratio is small compared to the highly bright students whom I met in the university.
Therefore, polytechnics should encourage their lecturers to gun for higher studies to enable them to improve the quality of their product.
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by Nobody: 10:09pm On Feb 21, 2013
ronnyfam: It's really sad ,if you have an OND or HND I will indulge you to get a university degree if you don't want to regret later in life or be enslave Nigeria educations sucks
i disagree with u and op. a lot of uni are worst than poly. the purpose of creating poly and uni education are different.i am not saying poly should award bachelor degree but employment and promotion should based on merit not on certificate alone. both should be allowed to reach zenith of their career.
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by emmatok(m): 10:09pm On Feb 21, 2013
meerah25: Whatever!. . .well iam HND graduate,im proud of it. . .i spend almst six years in the polytechnic. . .wr im serving now,we have university graduate. . .lol the can't speak good English. . .only in Nigeria u ll fine disperity mentality . . .

The issue here is not about the products, it is quality of the curriculum.

Place the Poly and University graduates aside by side you Will notice the levels of confidence and knowledge shown by the Uni graduate.

Poly students are technically good.
But University students are vastly knowledgeable.

1 Like

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by emmatok(m): 10:11pm On Feb 21, 2013
meerah25: Whatever!. . .well iam HND graduate,im proud of it. . .i spend almst six years in the polytechnic. . .wr im serving now,we have university graduate. . .lol the can't speak good English. . .only in Nigeria u ll fine disperity mentality . . .
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by uniQybabs(m): 10:39pm On Feb 21, 2013
By d way, d last tym I checkd, yor reterdeen president is a phd holder. How has dat impactd on his sense of reasoning?. undecided

2 Likes

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by honeric01(m): 10:46pm On Feb 21, 2013
emmatok:

The issue here is not about the products, it is quality of the curriculum.

Place the Poly and University graduates aside by side you Will notice the levels of confidence and knowledge shown by the Uni graduate.

Poly students are technically good.
But University students are vastly knowledgeable.

Please not in this present Nigeria, the difference does not exist. until you ask for their certificates, you can't really know who went to a Uni and who went to a Poly. (most)
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by LausDeo(m): 10:47pm On Feb 21, 2013
AK 48:

Madam,I am pyguru and I have just auto corrected your stinking english.she can't speak and you can't write.
mr man u 4 dn mind ur own business jejely.na ur definition of correction b dis?
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by LausDeo(m): 10:48pm On Feb 21, 2013
AK 48:

Madam,I am pyguru and I have just auto corrected your stinking english.she can't speak and you can't write.
mr man u 4 dn mind ur own business jejely.na ur own definition of gud english b dis?
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by mkoabiola: 10:49pm On Feb 21, 2013
With my HND ,am going places despite d discrimination.
D discrimation btw HND n Bsc sucks in d labour market.
D govt has a pivot role to play if d wrong mus b corrected.
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by mkoabiola: 10:52pm On Feb 21, 2013
Boyoorisha: My friend has HND lower credit in accounting from Ibadan Poly, but he earns 14 million naira per annum! We have bunch of 1st class uni grads walking aimlessly daily on the street of Lagos searching for job.
Oga,na sooo e easy ?
14m per annum.hw true is ds?
Which kind work b dat?
I get interest if it is somtin I can do.
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by klerry(m): 10:59pm On Feb 21, 2013
Nice write up!
But in my opinion, the problem with HND certificate or whatever degree is the kind of environment we find ourselves in.
All these institutions have roles they are meant to play in the development of the graduates they produce. If we have a working system where evryone fits into their various areas of expertise with ease, we will not be complaining of the kind or class of degree we have, all we will all do is fit in our specific areas. The best we can do now is be the best at what we do cos having a university degree now does not even mean you will still not be descriminated at the work place.

1 Like

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by klerry(m): 11:02pm On Feb 21, 2013
Bros,
There are people earning more than that!!!
So u need not argue or question that.

mko abiola:
Oga,na sooo e easy ?
14m per annum.hw true is ds?
Which kind work b dat?
I get interest if it is somtin I can do.
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by DonTim1: 11:05pm On Feb 21, 2013
i am yet to meet a uni graduate that's capable of outshining me in my field, and having tasted uni education now, i tell you its far cheaper to pass in uni than poly.

now talk of the Phd drift, when did NUC improve the standard to Phd, 5yrs before now it was all about Msc and few Phds.

Its noteworthy to mention that the much sought after palliative "Msc" by unemployed graduates became a major reason for raising the bar by NUC (funny why the NBTE did not follow same)

i quite agree with the op on the aspect of thorough course work, uni education is knowledge based while poly education is skill base, not until employers and Nigeria at large understand that, the discrimination will tarry.

btw, proud product of FPA, Proud product of NOUN!

1 Like

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by meshinoye(m): 11:10pm On Feb 21, 2013
To God be the glory, I attended both University and Polytechnic.Honestly speaking, as far as Accounting profession is concern, if you are not a chartered accountant, you are not relivant. Being touth by Professor's or Phd holders don't really matter. A lot of Professor's and Phd holders failed ICAN exams and ran away. How many Professor's in Nigeria can booast of indeep knowlege of IFRS & IAS or it practical applications? Those old men understand only the theoritical aspect of Nigeria GAAP. Most graduate's attends lectures at WYSE, SAFE or PYE etc to get real lectures before attempting ICAN or ACCA. I wipe for this country!
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by Nobody: 11:13pm On Feb 21, 2013
Don Tim: i am yet to meet a uni graduate that's capable of outshining me in my field, and having tasted uni education now, i tell you its far cheaper to pass in uni than poly.

now talk of the Phd drift, when did NUC improve the standard to Phd, 5yrs before now it was all about Msc and few Phds.

Its noteworthy to mention that the much sought after palliative "Msc" by unemployed graduates became a major reason for raising the bar by NUC (funny why the NBTE did not follow same)

i quite agree with the op on the aspect of thorough course work, uni education is knowledge based while poly education is skill base, not until employers and Nigeria at large understand that, the discrimination will tarry.

btw, proud product of FPA, Proud product of NOUN!
You are simply.......a CLOWN smiley
You went to NOUN, an open university and you are comparing it with a regular university.
I guess you got your OND/HND in comedy.
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by Exponental(m): 11:13pm On Feb 21, 2013
I think there shld be a review.
Polys shld be scrapped n changed 2 university of technology where are techical issues shld be addressed, with a challenge of technology birth or improvement annually.
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by DonTim1: 11:23pm On Feb 21, 2013
x-fire:

You are simply.......a CLOWN smiley
You went to NOUN, an open university and you are comparing it with a regular university.
I guess you got your OND/HND in comedy.

wanted to hit back at you and went through your profile, u dont deserve it!

you know what, send me a pm so we dont derail the thread, you and i can sort out your ignorance elsewhere!

4 Likes

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by hamzakyana(m): 11:52pm On Feb 21, 2013
Funny, they can't speak good english and you can't write good english. Maybe they are polytechnic graduate like you. Lol !
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by mabcos: 12:12am On Feb 22, 2013
Wether you accept it or believe it or not! The poly grads have large number of the most intelectual people in the country. We are just politicking because of the notion that most of their background is poor.
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by Phemmyolas(m): 12:32am On Feb 22, 2013
For record purpose, some students read up to ten or more textbooks for a single course. During my first degree days at Ife, every semester usually started with a course outline and list of recommended textbooks which may even be up to fifteen. Thank you.

Willzkid:
Bros, let's be honest....how is it possible 4 a student 2 study an average of 10 textbooks for just one course, even if that's the only course he studies per semester..Medical students can't boast of such average even when they do just anatomy, physiology, community health and biochemistry for 2 years..
By the way, it was an excellent piece save for this exaggeration.

1 Like

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by kabiru82(m): 12:44am On Feb 22, 2013
Hahahaha sonme of u make me laugh.I did not Regret having HND but non of my brothers or my children will go to polytechnic.I graduate 2004 4rm polytechnic,Upper credit Civil Engineering working wt FMOW.But d problems we wt HND were facing is too much.As am talking now am runing my Degree programme in ABU Zaria.
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by adconline(m): 12:45am On Feb 22, 2013
kalunomics: i must confess, that line got me cracking
Don't mind Naija. If everyone had their BScs, it would shift to state vs federal unis, 2:1 vs 2:2. There are simply no jobs, the politicians are playing with the future of our youths. Why not close poly education and transfer all the students to unis?

1 Like

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by Essencysun(m): 1:12am On Feb 22, 2013
On whose side are you @the writer, on the contrary the polytechnics products are far more better than the university's produce, The major problem is that Nigeria is a messed up society where everything and anything is a big issue. Until eligibility for employments goes beyond certificates to what one could offer, the society will continue to be in great Misery.[b][/b]
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by kolnel: 1:41am On Feb 22, 2013
The only exception is when you are a biz owner.
Hnd really sucks. University degree all the way. The discrimination. Is very massive at work place.
Hnd is very discouraging from experience.
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by NNBB2012: 2:39am On Feb 22, 2013
The difference between Polytechnic and University is crystal clear. Even more than what the writer highlighted. In the area of academic structure there is difference. Although I strongly believed that the objectives of establishing these institutions were obvious in the past, I must point out that these laudable objectives have been distorted. For instance, Polytechnic is supposed to purely run technology based programmes but what do we see today, they run management and social sciences. Generally, I think the Nigeria education curriculum needs total ovehauling. It is disheartening to see that our education is not strutured towards skills acquisition. It is believed that after graduating from University or Polytechnic one should be able to apply what one has learnt but the reality today is different.

Personally, I think the Polytechnic education should be scrapped but better still be upgraded to University of Technology. Even the countries that once had them have already upgraded them to Univerties.There should be more well equipped and funded universities to accommodate more prospective students. The Lecturers as well should be well equipped. This is only way I think we can compete favourably with other countries of the world in this century. The world has really gone beyond where we are now at the moment. Nigeria qualifications are not directly recognised abroad. It has to be subjected to serious test and scrutiny, whereas, SA qualifications are recognised. We call ourselves giant of Africa, our education should be seen at the fore-front. A Nigeria trained doctor, if you must practice abroad, you have to be subjected to rigorous examinations. The same thing goes for other professions.or instance if you must migrate to Australia an HND holder, you will be considered as some who have Advance diploma/OND, which will earn you only 10 points but whereas,University degree earn 15points. That 5 points means alot. Who can we blame for this, when none of our Universities is in the list of the best 1000 universities in the whole world? This calls for concern.

My piece of advice for any HND holder is to upgrade himself/herself because this issue will still resurface at one point or the other later. For example, either to go back and obtain degree in University (locally or foreign) or to obtain certifications in your chosen profession so as to compete favourably. There some Universities in the UK that do Top-up programmes. Personally, I don't buy the idea of the PgD stuff, it is purely a waste of time and money. Also, some universities abroad do take HND holders directly for Master's programmes.

1 Like

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by yemmyma: 4:25am On Feb 22, 2013
Personally, I think the Polytechnic education should be scrapped but better still be upgraded to University of Technology. [b]Even the countries that once had them have already upgraded them to Univerties.[/b]There should be more well equipped and funded universities to accommodate more prospective students. The Lecturers as well should be well equipped. This is only way I think we can compete favourably with other countries of the world in this century. The world has really gone beyond where we are now at the moment. Nigeria qualifications are not directly recognised abroad. It has to be subjected to serious test and scrutiny, whereas, SA qualifications are recognised. We call ourselves giant of Africa, our education should be seen at the fore-front. A Nigeria trained doctor, if you must practice abroad, you have to be subjected to rigorous examinations. The same thing goes for other professions.or instance if you must migrate to Australia an HND holder, you will be considered as some who have Advance diploma/OND, which will earn you only 10 points but whereas,University degree earn 15points. That 5 points means alot. Who can we blame for this, when none of our Universities is in the list of the best 1000 universities in the whole world? This calls for concern.

My piece of advice for any HND holder is to upgrade himself/herself because this issue will still resurface at one point or the other later. For example, either to go back and obtain degree in University (locally or foreign) or to obtain certifications in your chosen profession so as to compete favourably. There some Universities in the UK that do Top-up programmes. Personally, I don't buy the idea of the PgD stuff, it is purely a waste of time and money. Also, some universities abroad do take HND holders directly for Master's programmes.
[/quote]

You see, i really do not have time to write much now. But how many countries are scrapping them? U.K, U.S? Kidding me for real. These countries are changing the way education is done because they are exporting education. Why do you think a country like Germany without resources to tap into is doing extraordinarily well in manufacturing and so on? Go and see how their education is structured and you stop all these things you say about polytechnic been scrapped. If the purpose for creating a poly remains the same as it is in Germany, Austria, Finland, then you will appreciate what i am talking about. Go and find out that Germany does not sell education, yet her economy is always gonna be in good shape. Simple lesson from Peter Drucker, how to improve GDP.
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by miz4oxley(m): 4:33am On Feb 22, 2013
Yeah, cool write up. But, pls provide good jobs for the Bsc guys roaming our streets and withdraw the Dangote Phd graduates ok. Uni, Poly, NCE.... Only jah will bless pls. My Boss, and his partner are both Poly graduates. Lo and behold they conquer their mates in their endeavours who are Uni grads k. GEJ is a Phd holder! Tell me the difference?

1 Like

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by tonymariao(m): 5:28am On Feb 22, 2013
Make una dey here dey argue why others are busy chopping d money...what really matters is what can u do with your certificate; can u praticalize what u must ve been taught?if no then u ve a problem.
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by Ogbuefienubiaka: 6:17am On Feb 22, 2013
This agrument is very unncessary. Most poly in Nija produce nothing but trash.I have been opportuned to have interview for years now and can confirm that in the east here poly graduates are nothing but craps. Their problem start with admission process. No Jamb is need and admission requirment are short of the standard provided u can pay for the FORMS.
Sudents only read hand out that are even below satadard to 'pass'. My hungry caretaker recently secured Job with Abia poly with his First Degree that he obtain over 11yrs ago with the only update in his knowledge his AGENCY for various landlords. What a shame for the system.
I can conclude that the system is bad as it is now and this issue of a ploy student being better uni grads put aside.
I read accounting in Ife and i dont know what an HND holder did in school that will make him better equiped as claimed here.
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by Ogbuefienubiaka: 6:24am On Feb 22, 2013
[/color]Yes life is never equal. A Poly
May have better opportunity and get something better in life but that dose dont remove the fact that uni grads are bettert equiped accedemically. Your allussion GEJ is just nonsense. GEJ have nothing to do with issue at hand. Maybe by the time an HND holer handles the affirs of this country u can then compare.

[color=#000099]
miz4oxley: Yeah, cool write up. But, pls provide good jobs for the Bsc guys roaming our streets and withdraw the Dangote Phd graduates ok. Uni, Poly, NCE.... Only jah will bless pls. My Boss, and his partner are both Poly graduates. Lo and behold they conquer their mates in their endeavours who are Uni grads k. GEJ is a Phd holder! Tell me the difference?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Vice-chancellors Of Nigeria Universities (photos) / Black Panther In UNILAG Final Year Medical Exam Question (photo) / Aluta Jango Finally Graduates From UNIJOS After 13 Years (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.