Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,322 members, 7,780,800 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:34 PM

Penalty Kicks As Preached By English Referees - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Penalty Kicks As Preached By English Referees (1031 Views)

Mikel Obi Banned And Fined By English FA / Mikel Obi Told Robben He Would Miss The Penalty / Uefa To Continue With 5 Referees Next Season (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Penalty Kicks As Preached By English Referees by Akolawole(m): 8:01am On May 03, 2006
It is not a suprise to me that UEFA and FIFA hardly choose English Referees for major Tournaments.

If you own academy or you want to teach a friend the offside rules and Penalty Rules , please don't use English matches.

Only God knows the rules they use to award Penalties.

I stand to be corrected, West Bromwich was relegated based on more than 8 penalties that were not awarded to them even at home. In their last match against West Ham, they were denied 2 clear penalty kicks.

John Terry handed ball at least twice at stamford bridge which was never given to the visitors.

West ham was denied two clear penalties against arsenal at Upton Park and off course Kolo toure became another goalkeeper at Old Tratford.

Only a foreign Refereee will award penalty againt Baba Alex at Old Tratford

I think Graham Poll hates Arsenal from his mother's foetus.

Just last night Chelsea was denied at 4 penalties ( but the press call it 2) in their away loss to Blackburn. The special one says " If i do need the points today and this happen, i will say something that will make them(FA) ban me forever."

What is your take on this?

Re: Penalty Kicks As Preached By English Referees by Skintite(f): 11:52am On May 03, 2006
I think refrees are scared of makin the wrong decision on penalties
They have to be absolutely certain b4 they give it out

Penalties are very crucial in important games n u just dont give them anyhow
its because of how crucial it is that they made diving a serious offence

As for graham poll, he can go n park himself for hating arsenal
Thou i heard he is one of the world cup refrees undecided

I remember the penalty against arsenal (2 seasons ago) that RVN missed n got some slaps from arsenal players
it was a crucial game, n then it was a wrong decision undecided
If he had scored, it would've changed a lot of things

I think penalties are very serious stuff n needs extra carefulness n certainty

1 Like

Re: Penalty Kicks As Preached By English Referees by Skintite(f): 11:59am On May 03, 2006
As for morinho n yesterdays game
Blackburn deserved to win, they played their hearts out

as for the penalty decisions on chelsea game, happens to the best of us wink
Re: Penalty Kicks As Preached By English Referees by hucarson(m): 12:32pm On May 03, 2006
@ Akola,
Most of your analysis are faulty and a bit myopic.

First and foremost, A referee has to be absolutely sure of a foul before he gives a penalty.
If he is unsure and the assistant referee hasn't seen anything, he would not give a penalty.
We have to realise the job of a referee aint easy. We complain sometimes because we have an opportunity to see a replay but the Referee does not have this luxury.

Referees have awarded penalties times without nmber at Old Trafford against Man Utd. I can give you two instances that happened in recent years.
West Brom had one last season and Liverpool had one to even win at OT in 2003/2004 season.
These things do happen.

On Graham Poll, U missed the points completely.
Graham Poll is an ardent Arsenal fan. He is one referee i dislike so much especially what he did against Chelsea at Highbury. Remember Henry's cheeky free-kick?
I can also remember Arsenal V Man U in 2002/03 season @ Highbury. He allowed 2 Henry's goals to stand and Henry was clearly offside.
It should not surprise u that some refs have their favourite teams in the Premiership.

This is how The Sun newspapers listed them sometime ago.

Graham Poll(He's favoured arsenal and contrbuted to the 49 unbeaten run)----Arsenal
Rob Styles(He awarded 4 red cards to visiting teams in 5 matches he officiated at the Bridge this season)-----Chelsea
Mike Riley(Awarded 10 penalties to United at OT in 2002/03 season.  Hasn't be used at OT since the Battle of OT in 2004----Man Utd.
Re: Penalty Kicks As Preached By English Referees by Priscila(f): 12:50pm On May 03, 2006
Graham poll!
the best ref in Europe.I think good players should never be given penalties
Re: Penalty Kicks As Preached By English Referees by Skintite(f): 3:35pm On May 03, 2006
Thanx 4 the info pricci
i thot he hated arsenal like akola said undecided

its very difficult to be a ref
u carry a huge burden on u
its only necessary to be very very careful on penalties
Re: Penalty Kicks As Preached By English Referees by Akolawole(m): 10:01pm On May 03, 2006
Priscila:

Graham poll!
the best ref in Europe.I think good players should never be given penalties

No comment at all.

Skintite:

its very difficult to be a ref
u carry a huge burden on u
its only necessary to be very very careful on penalties

If you know you cant carry the responsibility as a Referee, why doing the job?
Re: Penalty Kicks As Preached By English Referees by Akolawole(m): 10:15pm On May 03, 2006
Skintite:

As for morinho n yesterdays game
Blackburn deserved to win, they played their hearts out

as for the penalty decisions on chelsea game, happens to the best of us wink

Did you watch the match?

Please read this links: http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2006200337,00.html and

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2006200335,00.html
Re: Penalty Kicks As Preached By English Referees by Skintite(f): 9:19am On May 04, 2006
No i didnt watch the game akola undecided angry

Of course i watched it, wat kind of silly question is that?
so what if they didnt get the penalty?
i said it happens all the time, wats the big deal tongue
Re: Penalty Kicks As Preached By English Referees by LoverBwoy(m): 1:27pm On May 04, 2006
Mr Akolawole
remember u are watchin it  from your TV with the aid of about 12-23 different cameras,

plus u get to watch the replays

slow motions

grin grin grin

did u see the goal against manchester by a spurs player last season, when Roy Carroll dropped the ball inside his net shocked shocked shocked

they are not perfect n they get reviewed all the time

atleast they are being texted to influence matches  wink http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/sports/article02
Re: Penalty Kicks As Preached By English Referees by Skintite(f): 5:25pm On May 04, 2006
ohhhhoooooooooooooo undecided
Re: Penalty Kicks As Preached By English Referees by Priscila(f): 2:30pm On May 05, 2006
Skintite!
Me and you insist Graham is the best ref in England because he reasoned very fast unlike others on that day of Man U/Arsenal.
I was impressed when he did not award a penalty when Toure took over goalkeeping.
It was Rooney to blame because he wrestled Lehmann down and had left our goalie in no position to do anything remotely related to keeping.
So Graham was very right because any player can goal keep in such emergencies
Re: Penalty Kicks As Preached By English Referees by Skintite(f): 2:41pm On May 05, 2006
Any player can goal keep in such emergencies?
grin cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Penalty Kicks As Preached By English Referees by Priscila(f): 2:43pm On May 05, 2006
Skintite.
What can I do without you here?
thanks for the support pal
Re: Penalty Kicks As Preached By English Referees by hucarson(m): 2:57pm On May 07, 2006
@ Priscilla,
U kinda changed the story.
Rooney dribbled Lehmann and in the process of leaving him sprawling on the ground, Toure collided with Lehmann.
How can u utter such blasphemy that any player can goal-keep?
Toure was lucky not to have been booked cos Graham Poll didn't see the incident.
Such was Rooney's ferocious shot on goal that only the slow-motion views and Rooney's moans drew viewers attention to the incident.
Graham Poll shld be sacked for failing to book Toure for such misdemeanour.
Re: Penalty Kicks As Preached By English Referees by Skintite(f): 9:43am On May 08, 2006
Haba hucs!

try n let us breath once in a while u know undecided
that game is over n done with, wats the big deal
Re: Penalty Kicks As Preached By English Referees by Akolawole(m): 10:01am On May 08, 2006
Skintite:

that game is over n done with, wats the big deal

The big deal is this Referees mess things up at times which is costly.

West Brom was denied 8 clear penalties which could have saved their head.
Re: Penalty Kicks As Preached By English Referees by Skintite(f): 12:44pm On May 08, 2006
@akola
am glad u said at times undecided
this is football, such things are bound to happen

sometimes costly, sometimes very costly
its part of the game
we gotta learn to let these things go

Refs are human, just like a team failing u somtimes
refs also make mistakes n fail u

(1) (Reply)

Messi No Go Fit Catch Mueller Just Yet - Supersport.com / Clubs Pre-Season Tour Fixtures / Henry Is Staying

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.