Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,117 members, 7,807,372 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:51 PM

My Monthly Security Vote As FCT Minister Was 600 Million Naira - Elrufai - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Monthly Security Vote As FCT Minister Was 600 Million Naira - Elrufai (779 Views)

Ishaq Bello Appointed As FCT Chief-Judge By Jonathan / My Monthly Security Vote As A Minister Was 600 Million Naira - El-rufai / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has 90 Million Naira Monthly Security Vote? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Monthly Security Vote As FCT Minister Was 600 Million Naira - Elrufai by paule: 7:18am On Feb 12, 2013
Former minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Malam Nasir Elrufai, has revealed I. His new book, the Accidental Public Servant, that his monthly security vote while he was minister between 2003 and 2007 was 600 million Naira monthly. Going that the exchange rate at that time was 114 Naira to a dollar, this means that Elrufai had discretionary security votes of about $5.2 Million every month!

On what he did with the money, Elrufai said it was used to pay off informants and facilitate the work of intelligence and secret police officials in their bid to keep the FCT secure.

http://www.naijapundit.com/news/my-monthly-security-vote-as-fct-minister-was-600-million-naira-elrufai

Na waoo
Re: My Monthly Security Vote As FCT Minister Was 600 Million Naira - Elrufai by thelastPope(m): 12:08pm On Feb 12, 2013
You know we have a huge problem when our anti-corruption crusaders are former crooks! A real huge problem!
Re: My Monthly Security Vote As FCT Minister Was 600 Million Naira - Elrufai by tomakint: 1:06pm On Feb 12, 2013
...and this funky Mallam served under Obasanjo? Thank God he was blunt enough to say it out loud and clear and I wonder what all these governors are doing with theirs with the spate of insecurities ravaging this country right from the time of Obasanjo.....what a waste of public funds on superfluity of nothingness cool
Re: My Monthly Security Vote As FCT Minister Was 600 Million Naira - Elrufai by GARRIx7(m): 1:30pm On Feb 12, 2013
GARRI (x7):
Sensible folks know that Reno's is a sly manipulating person whose stock-in-trade is lying and fact-spinning. Each time he opens his putrid, foul-smelling mouth he spews forth falsehood and half-truths which are meant to deceive gullible and fickle-minded simpletons who lack the capacity to sift fact from fiction.

Only a recalcitrantly stvpid dolt would believe a M0R0N like Reno...

loma: Reno is being very economical with the truth as usual with that comment on NaijaPundit. Let me quote you the exact part from the book;

Firstly he mentioned the amount in an early chapter when talking about the police in Abuja..

” Early in my ministerial tenure, a memo came to my desk requiring me to approve an eight million naira payment to the police. I asked what this was for and was told it was what the FCT ministry paid the police every month from our N600 million ‘security vote’ for the 2003 fiscal year. I asked to see the commissioner to ascertain why and what he needed the funds for……………………….So one of the first things we did was to approve his eight million naira, bought him 20 cars and many pickups….On the police commissioner’s suggestion, we commenced the design and roll-out of a phased closed circuit TV system that would cover the whole city footprint by 2010. All these were accomplished within 12 months of my reporting for duty in the FCT…”

Later on in the book, he says

“…A report from the FCT Immigration office of an observed influx of ‘North African and Arab’ nationals into Abuja a few months before the All Africa Games……I convened an emergency security meeting to get to the bottom of it. This is an instance where the ‘security vote’ is supposed to be used to facilitate the work of the SSS agents, and also pay off the ‘informants’- commercial sex workers, bartenders, hotel receptionists and the like.’

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Rochas Okorocha And Fashola Visits Ladipo Mkt(pics) / If Owerri Was The Nigerian Capital ?? / Celebrating Obahiagbon, Master Of Bombast, At 53

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.