Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,875 members, 7,802,809 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:14 PM

Things Corpers Should Do After POP. - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Things Corpers Should Do After POP. (23239 Views)

PHOTOS: See The Hair Cut This NYSC Member Rocked To His POP / Going Back To My Parent's After POP / What Did You Do With Your NYSC kit After POP? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by rodeo0070(m): 1:19pm On Feb 13, 2013
I understand the excitement that goes with passing out of service. In fact, you are so excited, you want the whole world to know. A lot of people show this by sharing their POP pictures and NYSC Certificates on social media like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, BBM etc. You won't have to go for the CDS again, no more khaki trousers, no more of those heavy orange boots, and for some, no more issues with your LI and so on and so forth. You just can't wait to pick your NYSC Certificate and run!. The Big question is, run to where?
The truth is, it's tougher out there in the Nigerian Labour Market. As a Corper, at least you had a monthly income. But after POP, if not retained at your work place, many of you will go incomeless (if there's a word like that) and hop into the world of job search.

The bad news is: Nobody really cares about you. It's cold and rough out there and that's not funny.
The good news? I care in my own little way. Consequently, I've compiled 7 tips to help you in this process.

1)Exchange Contacts with Others and keep in Touch:
It's very common for most of us to get so drowned in the excitement of passing out. During your POP, don't just pout your lips and take photos with your supposed Corper friends. Exchange phone numbers, emails, BB Pins with them and keep in touch afterwards. This way you can know what is going on in their lives and vice versa.

2) Create a Professional Profile:
I've come to realize that a lot of fresh graduates today underestimate the importance of a professionally drafted profile. Prepare a good CV and Cover Letter and keep them handy. Always have a copy in your mail box and if possible in your phone. You never can tell where they will be needed. You don't want to lose that mouth watering job in an Oil Company in Lagos just because you couldn't provide your CV when needed.

3) Relocate to Lagos, Abuja or Port Harcourt:

Talking about Lagos. The truth is, Lagos is a Haven of opportunities. No city in Nigeria has as much opportunities in Nigeria as Lagos. With lots of places to work and lots of things to lay your hands on, from banks to Oil firms, muiltinationals, NGOs, and even to the Entertainment industry!

Abuja is another good place to live if you are a job seeker. Though many claim that you have to know somebody who knows somebody that can give you a job. But in all, there are lots of opportunities in the Federal government parastatals, Ministries, International NGOs etc.

Last but not the least is Port Harcourt, the Oil city of Nigeria, with a bunch of opportunities in the Oil and Gas industry and other lucrative sectors.

My point is, these cities are the job hub of the nation. If you have long being a job seeker and not residing in any of these cities, I guess it's high time you packed your bags and and made a smart move to these any of these cities.

4) Network:
Leave your nest and start networking with other professionals.

5) Announce yourself:
Except for you parents and siblings, most people really do not care what you are doing. You have to tell them yourself. Let them know your are jobless and need a job.

6) Play:

All work and no play makes you dull. Do you think Exxon Mobil is looking for a dull employee? Hell No!

7) Subscribe to Recent Nigerian Jobs blog:

Lastly, you need to subscribe to an up-to-date job blog like mine (**winks**) to keep yourself updated with the Latest Job Vacancies in Nigeria.

SOURCE: http://www.recentnigerianjobs.com/2013/02/7-things-every-nysc-corper-should-do.html#more

17 Likes

Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by Series22(m): 3:59pm On Feb 13, 2013
what of us wey graduate with 3rd class?

7 Likes

Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by rodeo0070(m): 4:53pm On Feb 13, 2013
Series22: what of us wey graduate with 3rd class?
Grade is in the mind, my friend. If you are sure of yourself and believe in God, IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING, I TELL YOU.
I've seen people with 3rd class doing well and good. Some are employed while some are into business (doing fine).
Improve and add value to yourself, in the academics or in vocational skills. Everyone is gifted, but most of us don't know.
Look inwards and believe in yourself.
Don't be carried away by the "Crowd mentality." You can do it...

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by Adex097: 5:31pm On Feb 13, 2013
Ma sis would be coming soon!!! But its not easy to join the labour market o #MAN-KNOW-MAN-THINGS. BTW , I'm the 3rd to comment!!! My highest level ever!! *dancing azonto*
Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by tope24(m): 5:34pm On Feb 13, 2013
Nice one you got there. Thumbs up
Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by hightechIT: 5:34pm On Feb 13, 2013
Comment ..... Loading

I'm back for the comment.

If you don't have any skill, Now is the time to learn one or two skills.

For your ICT and Telecom training in Port Harcourt
www.ht-engineering.net/training.html
Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by Nobody: 5:34pm On Feb 13, 2013
Why movement to Lagos,so if one has no relatives,or plans in Lagos,he/she should die,
It shows the op is myopic in his view. opportunities abound everywhere,pray to God,to establish you in your place of abode. God blesses people anywhere,just discover your market,and kaboom,you don blow.

3 Likes

Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by Sarcoc: 5:34pm On Feb 13, 2013
Well done Mr OP - very different to the regular rush that I find on this site
Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by ajayi147(m): 5:35pm On Feb 13, 2013
Sorry
Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by funmemezy: 5:37pm On Feb 13, 2013
I just hate d idea of relocatin to lag in search of job,if evrybody relocate ther den tel me how d job wil b enof,lagos wil b overstretched. Can't one jst do somtin uniq wea u ar?

1 Like

Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by james2020(m): 5:38pm On Feb 13, 2013
rodeo0070: I understand the excitement that goes with passing out of service. In fact, you are so excited, you want the whole world to know. A lot of people show this by sharing their POP pictures and NYSC Certificates on social media like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, BBM etc. You won't have to go for the CDS again, no more khaki trousers, no more of those heavy orange boots,
and for some, no more issues with your LI and so on and so forth. You just can't wait to pick your NYSC Certificate and run!. The Big question is, run to where?
The truth is, it's tougher out there in the Nigerian Labour Market. As a Corper, at least you had a monthly income. But after POP, if not retained at your work place, many of you will go incomeless (if there's a word like that) and hop into the world of job search.

The bad news is: Nobody really cares about you. It's cold and rough out there and that's not funny.
The good news? I care in my own little way. Consequently, I've compiled 7 tips to help you in this process.

1) Exchange Contacts with Others and keep in Touch:
It's very common for most of us to get so drowned in the excitement of passing out. During your POP, don't just pout your lips and take photos with your supposed Corper friends. Exchange phone numbers, emails, BB Pins with them and keep in touch afterwards. This way you can know what is going on in their lives and vice versa.

2) Create a Professional Profile:
I've come to realize that a lot of fresh graduates today underestimate the importance of a professionally drafted profile. Prepare a good CV and Cover Letter and keep them handy. Always have a copy in your mail box and if possible in your phone. You never can tell where they will be needed. You don't want to lose that mouth watering job in an Oil Company in Lagos just because you couldn't provide your CV when needed.

3) Relocate to Lagos, Abuja or Port Harcourt:

Talking about Lagos. The truth is, Lagos is a Haven of opportunities. No city in Nigeria has as much opportunities in Nigeria as Lagos. With lots of places to work and lots of things to lay your hands on, from banks to Oil firms, muiltinationals, NGOs, and even to the Entertainment industry!

Abuja is another good place to live if you are a job seeker. Though many claim that you have to know somebody who knows somebody that can give you a job. But in all, there are lots of opportunities in the Federal government parastatals, Ministries, International NGOs etc.

Last but not the least is Port Harcourt, the Oil city of Nigeria, with a bunch of opportunities in the Oil and Gas industry and other lucrative sectors.

My point is, these cities are the job hub of the nation. If you have long being a job seeker and not residing in any of these cities, I guess it's high time you packed your bags and and made a smart move to these any of these cities.

4) Network:
Leave your nest and start networking with other professionals.

5) Announce yourself:
Except for you parents and siblings, most people really do not care what you are doing. You have to tell them yourself. Let them know your are jobless and need a job.

6) Play:

All work and no play makes you dull. Do you think Exxon Mobil is looking for a dull employee? Hell No!

7) Subscribe to Recent Nigerian Jobs blog:

Lastly, you need to subscribe to an up-to-date job blog like mine (**winks**) to keep yourself updated with the Latest Job Vacancies in Nigeria.

http://www.recentnigerianjobs.com/2013/02/7-things-every-nysc-corper-should-do.html#more
True talk
Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by MMM2(m): 5:39pm On Feb 13, 2013
Find d nearest native doctor in ur villa 4 money ritual undecided
No time angry
Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by donez(m): 5:39pm On Feb 13, 2013
Wat is POP, CDS and LI?

1 Like

Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by Sarcoc: 5:39pm On Feb 13, 2013
I don't quite agree that only the aforementioned cities present the desired opportunities in Nigeria. Though the is a concentration of opportunities in these cities, one could still find opportunities elsewhere eg Asana, Enugu, Calabar and even Anambara etc
Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by catholy: 5:41pm On Feb 13, 2013
i like ur post, but i ve come to realise anoda issue in dis job search. Some companies consider height during interviews, even if u answer d interview questions well the interviewer wil find a way to dismis u frm d interview spot. Am talking out of experience though they didnt say there reasons bt frm the selection process u need no prophet to tel u their criteria for selection.
Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by ndala(m): 5:44pm On Feb 13, 2013
james2020:
True talk
must u copy all ehe? undecided
Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by smakati(m): 5:45pm On Feb 13, 2013
catholy: i like ur post, but i ve come to realise anoda issue in dis job search. Some companies consider height during interviews, even if u answer d interview questions well the interviewer wil find a way to dismis u frm d interview spot. Am talking out of experience though they didnt say there reasons bt frm the selection process u need no prophet to tel u their criteria for selection.
u re very funny
Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by orazmacluv013: 5:45pm On Feb 13, 2013
Men,for now Akwa Ibom state is also good for job seekers cos it can offer you a lot.right now am doing gud in the telecomm business I engaged myself into and am also passing out tmrrw.wish all my fellow corp members a happy POP

2 Likes

Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by CHIMSKY(m): 5:46pm On Feb 13, 2013
rodeo0070:
Grade is in the mind, my friend. If you are sure of yourself and believe in God, IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING, I TELL YOU.
I've seen people with 3rd class doing well and good. Some are employed while some are into business (doing fine).
Improve and add value to yourself, in the academics or in vocational skills. Everyone is gifted, but most of us don't know.
Look inwards and believe in yourself.
Don't be carried away by the "Crowd mentality." You can do it...

Forget o!Life has a way of smoothening things out in the long run.It is only when you freshly graduate that you think the class of degree you have is a big deal.In the long run it doesnt matter.The creative,scheming,sharp ,smart,hard working guys will rise to the top.I know guys wey get 2.1 for my set and they were so engrossed in their academic ability for years that they felt life owed them a living.
Several years down the road they now realize that achievement in life has nothing to do with your IQ.

3 Likes

Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by Etumgbe(m): 5:46pm On Feb 13, 2013
go to beer parlor and club everyday
Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by catholy: 5:47pm On Feb 13, 2013
smakati: u re very funny
my dear na true talk i dey tel u soooo
Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by MaziOmenuko: 5:48pm On Feb 13, 2013
catholy: i like ur post, but i ve come to realise anoda issue in dis job search. Some companies consider height during interviews, even if u answer d interview questions well the interviewer wil find a way to dismis u frm d interview spot. Am talking out of experience though they didnt say there reasons bt frm the selection process u need no prophet to tel u their criteria for selection.

gringringringrin
Did you say height gringringringrin

Are you seriousgringringringrin

Ah don die!!!! Ayaf died!!

Lawd half merciiii!!!
Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by chessguru1(m): 5:48pm On Feb 13, 2013
donez: Wat is POP, CDS and LI?

Plaster of paris, plenty Compact DISK, local i*diot grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by cyril83(m): 5:48pm On Feb 13, 2013
Nice post you have here but numba 3 make the rest numbas useless!
Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by catholy: 5:49pm On Feb 13, 2013
ndala: must u copy all ehe? undecided
i wonder ooo
Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by Andykuul: 5:52pm On Feb 13, 2013
Nice one. I'll rather go for kidnaping, pending on when good job opportunity will present itself..

2 Likes

Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by cyril83(m): 5:55pm On Feb 13, 2013
Series22: what of us wey graduate with 3rd class?
my friend if you really have it in mind to work in better places with good pay in nigeria, you had better go for PGD and stop listening to those who compare naija of 80s to millenium, things have changed..even if you relocate to paradise no oil companies,banks even some private and govt organization would consider you ahead of first class,21,and 22..think abt it and stop having false hope coz you have better chances to improve your grade.

1 Like

Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by ignis: 5:56pm On Feb 13, 2013
donez: Wat is POP, CDS and LI?
POP - Passing Out Parade

CDS - Community Development Service
Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by donez(m): 5:56pm On Feb 13, 2013
chess guru:
Plaster of paris, plenty Compact DISK, local i*diot grin grin
pls be serious, i want 2 knw d meanin connectin 2 nysc
Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by Ignatio(m): 5:59pm On Feb 13, 2013
Must everybody move to Lagos, Abuja and Port-Harcourt.
Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by kallysky(f): 5:59pm On Feb 13, 2013
can you quit your job. then start all over again then you will find out what jobless youths are going through. this this stuff are just theoretical.
Re: Things Corpers Should Do After POP. by Andykuul: 6:00pm On Feb 13, 2013
[quote author=CHIMSKY]
achievement in life has nothing to do with your IQ.
U cant be more right my brother

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

17 ‘Fake’ Corpers Arrested At Kubwa In Abuja / How Long Does NYSC Online Redeployment Take / NYSC Releases Call-up Letter For 2017 Batch A, Stream 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.