Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,771 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:39 PM

Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll (2017 Views)

Nairaland : Please Add 1 To The Pagination Counter Not Everyone Is A Programmer / Help (wrap Text In J2ME & Scroll Vertically) / Pagination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by lordZOUGA(m): 6:55pm On Feb 13, 2013
as a developer or a user, would you prefer if a page in an application (desktop, mobile, web) is presented as a list of numbered pages(as in the case of google search) or as a very long page with all the requested items (as in the case of twitter)??

i prefer scroll. simply because it allows me to have a glimpse of everything.

I would like to know of people's view on this.

what method you prefer and why?
Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by PrinceNN(m): 7:03pm On Feb 13, 2013
pagination anyday...especially when searching why? its easier and saves time
Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by lordZOUGA(m): 7:07pm On Feb 13, 2013
₱®ÌИСΞ:
pagination anyday...especially when searching why? its easier and saves time
so, if your mobile phone's music player uses pages, you will like it?
Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by PrinceNN(m): 7:51pm On Feb 13, 2013
player uses pages to do what? display titles or results for lyric search or smfn?
left to me id prefer to see the position i am relative to everything(pages left), to know or set how much content is contained in a page etc

scrolling gets boring after a while, almost impossible to know or quickly navigate to the page / section i got the result another time...suitable for realtime data or almost infinite results....and no way navigating based on any form of order....and @ a time there is the memory issue
Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by Nobody: 8:42pm On Feb 13, 2013
pagination all the way, here on nairaland, i can jump to the last post and contribute to the current yarn or go to page 1 to figure out the actual bone of contention
with twitter like pagination on a site like nairaland, i'll be force to stick with whats current or read through all the crap if i ever need to get to page 1
sucks!
Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by lordZOUGA(m): 11:34pm On Feb 13, 2013
webdezzi: pagination all the way, here on nairaland, i can jump to the last post and contribute to the current yarn or go to page 1 to figure out the actual bone of contention
with twitter like pagination on a site like nairaland, i'll be force to stick with whats current or read through all the crap if i ever need to get to page 1
sucks!
with pagination, you have to cache the pages somehow in order to know the number of pages(am I right?) but with scroll, the items get loaded on demand. I think that's efficient.
Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by Javanian: 12:13am On Feb 14, 2013
lordZOUGA:
with pagination, you have to cache the pages somehow in order to know the number of pages(am I right?) but with scroll, the items get loaded on demand. i think that's efficient.

No. I think you are a bit lazy grin...
Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by lordZOUGA(m): 12:29am On Feb 14, 2013
Javanian:

No. I think you are a bit lazy grin...
that's not an argument
Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by Javanian: 12:35am On Feb 14, 2013
lordZOUGA:
that's not an argument

Certainly not, just an instinct...

I think you know which is better but you are tempted to take the easy route...
Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by lordZOUGA(m): 1:51am On Feb 14, 2013
Javanian:

Certainly not, just an instinct...

I think you know which is better but you are tempted to take the easy route...
infinite scroll?
Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by Javanian: 2:48am On Feb 14, 2013
Pagination is better...

1 Like

Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by netesy(m): 1:54pm On Feb 14, 2013
I love pagination but use infinite scroll, its lazy and ok
Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by Nobody: 4:27pm On Feb 14, 2013
lordZOUGA:
with pagination, you have to cache the pages somehow in order to know the number of pages(am I right?) but with scroll, the items get loaded on demand. I think that's efficient.

No you are wrong.

with pagination,
you only have to do this simple maths.

SELECT count(id) FROM table

so lets say count() returned 100
and per page, i intend to display 5 and paginate the rest, cool

use something like this

$rate=5;
$totalNumPages=100/$rate;
so i know we gonna have 20 pages, use a for() loop to build ur pagination

for ($w=1;$w<=$totalNumPages;$w++){

echo "<a href='page.php?next=".(($w*$rate)+1)."'>("+$w+" )</a>&nbsp;";

}

so on the server, the sql for next page will look like
SELECT * FROM table LIMIT $_GET['next'], $rate

thats all, very efficient.
Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by lordZOUGA(m): 4:56pm On Feb 14, 2013
webdezzi:

No you are wrong.

with pagination,
you only have to do this simple maths.

SELECT count(id) FROM table

so lets say count() returned 100
and per page, i intend to display 5 and paginate the rest, cool

use something like this

so on the server, the sql for next page will look like
SELECT * FROM table LIMIT $_GET['next'], $rate

thats all, very efficient.

oh... but for scroll, I just get data and append.
Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by xterra2(m): 6:17pm On Feb 14, 2013
i like pagination but i also like infine scroll so i think the best is pagination by default with the option of infinite scroll
Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by worldbest(m): 8:47pm On Feb 14, 2013
I would choose infinite scroll (Ajax enabled) over pagination.

1 Like

Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by Creatrixity(m): 7:04am On Feb 15, 2013
I like both ideas so i fuse them using jquery(pc only for now,mobile later#touchscreen's only)..my page displays a list of pages and onclick the clicked page shows up immediately and you can hide it to display other pages..but only glitch here is that it will be loaded along with page again on mobile..
Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by Fayimora(m): 8:38pm On Feb 15, 2013
I definitely prefer to scroll. However, you must remember my last position(to the nearest pixel) when I use the back button..
Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by lordZOUGA(m): 9:52pm On Feb 15, 2013
Fayimora: I definitely prefer to scroll. However, you must remember my last position(to the nearest pixel) when I use the back button..
back button in scroll? :/
Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by Seun(m): 10:20pm On Feb 15, 2013
Pagination is obviously better:
1) With pagination, you can bookmark the position you're at and then go straight to it later. That's awesome.
2) With infinite scroll, you can't view the millionth element on a list without loading the 1st 999,999 into your browser. That's awful.
Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by lordZOUGA(m): 11:25pm On Feb 15, 2013
Seun: Pagination is obviously better:
1) With pagination, you can bookmark the position you're at and then go straight to it later. That's awesome.
scroll can do this same thing..

personally, I believe that google search can be implemented with scroll. paging the results is not exactly useful considering that users do not know what the search results might contain and so cannot know which page to jump to.
Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by Nobody: 7:10am On Feb 16, 2013
I hate infinite scrolls, i might want to look at the last item, and it just populates the list again, but a "load more" control is far better then again that is as good as pagination.
Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by Fayimora(m): 4:15am On Feb 17, 2013

@lordZOUGA
Go, to Twitter -> Your Profile -> Your Tweets -> Scroll down(2-4 'pages'). Note your current location on your timeline
Now from that page, click someone's username -> His/Her tweets.
Use the back button to get back to your tweets and see where the app takes you to wink

Pros of infinite scrolling, IMO
- Speed (pagination is freaking SLOW)
- Ease of use

Cons
- Skipping results

IMHO, they both have slightly different use-cases. Pagination on Twitter for instance is just a waste of time and resources!

@Seun pleaseeeeeee where is the preview button?

Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by Nobody: 4:16am On Feb 17, 2013
Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by Nobody: 4:20am On Feb 17, 2013

1 Like

Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by Fayimora(m): 10:28am On Feb 17, 2013
Hey big man you still around! By slow I was referring to "searching visually". For instance on Twitter, I find that searching for a tweet is as easy as scrolling down my timeline. I seldom realize when I hit the next "page". Pagination breaks that flow. Same applies to Google images.

But as I said above, I think they both have slightly different use-cases.
Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by lordZOUGA(m): 2:18pm On Feb 17, 2013
omo_to_dun:

Can you give us an example of such a site where the current comment can be bookmarked or instantly navigated to?

I seriously loathe the infinite scroll system.
I was talking about the in-page navigation system. it's mostly used on documentation pages. check out the on-line sqlite documentation page for what I mean. I think the whole documentation exists on one page.
Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by Fayimora(m): 6:00pm On Feb 17, 2013
It's possible to bookmark while infinitely scrolling! However it depends on the structure of your page. Something like a list of blog post is fairly trivial.
Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by Nobody: 6:41pm On Feb 17, 2013
Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by Nobody: 6:41pm On Feb 17, 2013
Re: Pagination Vs Infinite Scroll by Fayimora(m): 9:44pm On Feb 17, 2013
FYI, you can bookmark with infinte scroll.. Have a look at HTML5 history API and most importantly replaceState()

With that, you can keep updating the url, appending the current post's number to the url(1 way to do it). So when post 3 is at the top of the page, url will be https://www.nairaland.com/1195236/3.

Q.E.D wink

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Php Script/source Code For A Bidding Website! / A Thread To Discuss All Things Fintech In Nigeria / Learn PHP From Me For Free On Youtube!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.