Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,134 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:46 AM

Which Is Correct 'elder Brother' Or 'senior Brother' Or 'older Brother'? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Which Is Correct 'elder Brother' Or 'senior Brother' Or 'older Brother'? (19721 Views)

Which Is Correct : A Honest Or An Honest Man? / English Gurus!!! How Was Your Day Or How Is Your Day? Which Statement Is Correct / 'at 1pm' Or 'by 1pm'? Which Is Correct? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is Correct 'elder Brother' Or 'senior Brother' Or 'older Brother'? by elampiro(m): 8:29am On Feb 14, 2013
I read a this topic on Guinness advert (https://www.nairaland.com/1193153/guiness-advert-friend-udeme-vs/3#14310881), and I have always heard the narrator said ''my senior brother Femi'' on TV, and have always told people around me that 'my senior brother' is a wrong English. I made this known in the discussion of that topic, but someone argued that 'older brother' is more inappropriate. I remember I studied this in my JAMB days and it was clearly stated in the text book that 'elder/younger' is the correct use when used with brother/sister. The other question is why did Guinness make this blunder and it has been running ever since?

Now lets look at what some links have said about the usage of this three words:

Also, see Google result:

ELDER

About 24,900,000 results (0.30 seconds)
Search Results
elder comparative of eld·er (Adjective)
Adjective
(of one or more out of a group of related or otherwise associated people) Of a greater age: "my elder daughter".
Used to distinguish between related famous people with the same name: "Pliny the Elder".
Synonyms
senior - major - older - eldest
.........................................................................................
OLDER

About 293,000,000 results (0.16 seconds)
Search Results
older comparative of old (Adjective)
Adjective
Having lived for a long time; no longer young.
Made or built long ago: "the old quarter of the town".
Synonyms
elder - senior - major
.........................................................................................
SENIOR

About 148,000,000 results (0.24 seconds)
Search Results
sen·ior
/ˈsēnyər/
Adjective
Of a more advanced age: "he is 20 years senior to Leonard".
Noun
A person who is a specified number of years older than someone else: "she was only two years his senior".
Synonyms
elder - major - superior - older

PLEASE NOTE THE WAY THEY ARE USED. PROBABLY THE REASON JAMB IS HARD.
Re: Which Is Correct 'elder Brother' Or 'senior Brother' Or 'older Brother'? by elampiro(m): 8:30am On Feb 14, 2013
Elder brother is the correct use.

eld·er 1 (ldr)

adj.

1. Greater than another in age or seniority.

2. Superior to another or others, as in rank.

n.

1. An older person.

2. An older, influential member of a family, tribe, or community.

3. One of the governing officers of a church, often having pastoral or teaching functions.

4. Mormon Church A member of the higher order of priesthood
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx?word=elder

Elder 1

Definition: Older; more aged, or existing longer.

Elder 2

Definition: Born before another; prior in years; senior; earlier; older; as, his elder brother died in infancy; opposed to younger, and now commonly applied to a son, daughter, child, brother, etc. http://ardictionary.com/Elder/1144

elder1

Pronunciation: /ˈɛldə/

Translate elder | into French | into German | into Italian | into Spanish

Definition of elder

adjective

(of one or more out of a group of associated people) of a greater age:

my elder daughter

the elder of the two sons

(the Elder) used to distinguish between related famous people with the same name:

Pitt the Elder

noun

1⁠ (one's elders) people who are older than one:

schoolchildren were no less fascinated than their elders

(one's elder) a person who is older than one by a specified length of time:

she was two years his elder
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/elder

I learnt this from a certain English text book when I was preparing for my JAMB in the 90s. It is elder or younger brother (correct), senior or junior brother is wrong.
Re: Which Is Correct 'elder Brother' Or 'senior Brother' Or 'older Brother'? by okorodan: 10:23am On Mar 06, 2013
Elder Brother is the Correct one.[left][/left]
Re: Which Is Correct 'elder Brother' Or 'senior Brother' Or 'older Brother'? by hourlarwharley(m): 10:59am On Mar 06, 2013
Elder/Younger are used when relating 2 a family member, while senior/Junior are used when Relating 2 a Colleague in a Place of work.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Correct 'elder Brother' Or 'senior Brother' Or 'older Brother'? by jamace(m): 10:17am On Dec 06, 2020
okorodan:
Elder Brother is the Correct one.[left][/left]

Why is <senior brother> wrong? Explain, pls.
Re: Which Is Correct 'elder Brother' Or 'senior Brother' Or 'older Brother'? by SirWarlock: 11:13am On Dec 06, 2020
jamace:
Why is <senior brother> wrong? Explain, pls.
cause brother isn't a position grin
Re: Which Is Correct 'elder Brother' Or 'senior Brother' Or 'older Brother'? by jamace(m): 4:53pm On Dec 06, 2020
SirWarlock:
cause brother isn't a position grin
Re: Which Is Correct 'elder Brother' Or 'senior Brother' Or 'older Brother'? by Tohsynetita1: 8:20pm On Dec 06, 2020
According to concord, Elder for Older people and younger for lesser people. Nothing like Senior or Junior
Re: Which Is Correct 'elder Brother' Or 'senior Brother' Or 'older Brother'? by tobechi74: 8:27pm On Dec 06, 2020
My brother wey Dem born before me
Re: Which Is Correct 'elder Brother' Or 'senior Brother' Or 'older Brother'? by paulolee(m): 9:07am On Dec 07, 2020
senior bros or egbon is correct..
Re: Which Is Correct 'elder Brother' Or 'senior Brother' Or 'older Brother'? by newafricanman: 6:14pm On May 21, 2022
https://ng.opera.news/ng/en/entertainment/0fa956481caeb3a1f7e92de77cb05a35

According to this post---
The words "Senior" and "Junior" is always misused by a lot of people. For example, it is ungrammatical to say "He is my senior brother". instead say "He is my elder brother".

Do not say: Blessing is my junior sister.

Say: Blessing is my younger sister.

REASON: Senior and Junior is used when positions that are not related to age are considered. "Elder and Younger" is used when positions that are related to age is considered. When you refer to someone who is older than you, do not say "Senior brother" or "Senior sister", but say " elder brother" or "elder sister".

Again, when you refer to someone whom you are older than, do not say " junior brother" or "junior sister", but say "younger brother" or "younger sister".

Note that you can say " He is my senior/junior colleague" (The reason is the position is not related to age).
Re: Which Is Correct 'elder Brother' Or 'senior Brother' Or 'older Brother'? by Emma2Seconds: 7:16pm On May 21, 2022
Waiting concern Fulani with school �

(1) (Reply)

Striking Lecturers Get Two Months Salary / #JusticeForSylvester: 5 Children, 3 House Parents In Custody - School Says / Covenant University Ranked 36th Fastest Growing Young University In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.