Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,382 members, 7,781,084 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:33 AM

Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. (25305 Views)

Denrele Visits Late Goldie's Grave, Pays Emotional Tribute (Photos) / Photos: Iconic Singer, 2face Idibia Hangs Out With Nigeria U-23 Players. / Life & Times Of Justus Esiri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by alkanes1(m): 9:40am On Feb 15, 2013
R.I.P Goldie what a loss to the music industry
Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by linjok(f): 9:42am On Feb 15, 2013
For pass three days i have been seeing Goldie video... one on africamagic good morning show...some on soundcity..., it never occur to me that those three days will be her last on earth...i never really like her,especially how she behave on BBA with that ugly Boy. But is so.. sad to hear of her passing this morning...in fact i feel like crying.. going on a special day of VAL. (14 of Feb)i feel like crying the more. oh what a loss. for 9ja, and the music industry. and all that have seen or heard her music.......GOLDIE REST IN PEACE... cry cry cry
Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by Pappyto: 9:44am On Feb 15, 2013
homesteady: OP Na wa for you oo!!!....itt's barely 24 hours she died and you've already compiled her biography.
I suggest that the police should make you a prime suspect in her death case
lolzzzzzzzzzzz................
Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by Ichel: 9:45am On Feb 15, 2013
V-lyrics:
Somthin tells me she was used 4 illuminaty sacrifice. Last grammy whitney houston died and nw after goin 2 grammy Goldie dies? Somtin is wrong wit grammy awards
Na pple lyk u wey i dey wait for. Wetin be dat wey tell? If u have notin to say jst fckoff dear and

Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by engrfcuksmtin(m): 9:46am On Feb 15, 2013
You people have started again from Valentine blah blah over to goldie's death. Am very sure that by this time next week there will be up 20 irrelivant topics on goldie and they will all make frontpage. Examples include;
1. Photos of goldie's properties in lagos
2. Revealed Goldie and Denrel's relationship is beyond friendship.
3. How the death of goldie will affect kennis music or even nigerian music industry
4. Your opinion on goldies lifestyle when alive
blah blah blah

2 Likes

Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by ayurdavid: 9:46am On Feb 15, 2013
This life sef! Dead crying for the dead. Death... A debt we all must pay.
Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by Confirmbabe(f): 9:46am On Feb 15, 2013
Pls stop hating, respect d dead. RIP Oluwa-Goldie we'l miss u #sad.

Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by alex406(m): 9:47am On Feb 15, 2013
Might sound stupid but there is something negative behind her death. Grammy award is really making waves. hmmmmm

1 Like

Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by shawn5ng(m): 9:48am On Feb 15, 2013
Mr iluminati u don start ur own. No start another thread here. Just wish her RIP nd move on. She is naija lady gaga.
Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by Pappyto: 9:48am On Feb 15, 2013
horlajide:

How old did you say you are again?
google is not ur enemy nau
Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by elampiro(m): 9:49am On Feb 15, 2013
So sad! RIP Goldie.

The life of a man is nothing but a vapour.

Without the hope of eternity, life wouldn't be worth living.
Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by shawn5ng(m): 9:51am On Feb 15, 2013
RIP Goldiesad I guess those that were sad about not getting a Val gift yesterday,later realized dat God gave them d greatest Val gift which is "Life"

3 Likes

Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by Mamaflex(f): 9:52am On Feb 15, 2013
But what is d cause of her death? Someone dat just came back from the US hail and hearty, pass on in few minutes later? Was she poisoned? I find it difficult to say RIP. So sad.
Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by abbey10(m): 10:00am On Feb 15, 2013
@Freecocoa,
Thanks for your feedback.
At least you admitted making a mistake, but your strength of character is coming out to say it.
I salute you!
A lot of us judge people;our maids, drivers,contemporaries,colleagues, neighbours as if we are made of better stock.
The most common denominator is Death. Very few plan for it.
Personally, I am not too much into the lady in question but I like her drive. Her performance in BBA (beyond the crazy girl persona)
shows she's in need of care and support. She came across as a caring woman!
May her soul rest in peace!
Freecocoa, you're a great woman too.Keep it up!

2 Likes

Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by Bolt2011(m): 10:05am On Feb 15, 2013
RIP Goldie

I want to make eternal life, God save my soul.
Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by RioFernandez(m): 10:06am On Feb 15, 2013
na waohhhh
Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by Akshow: 10:07am On Feb 15, 2013
engrfcuksmtin: You people have started again from Valentine blah blah over to goldie's death. Am very sure that by this time next week there will be up 20 irrelivant topics on goldie and they will all make frontpage. Examples include;
1. Photos of goldie's properties in lagos
2. Revealed Goldie and Denrel's relationship is beyond friendship.
3. How the death of goldie will affect kennis music or even nigerian music industry
4. Your opinion on goldies lifestyle when alive
blah blah blah
the lamelessness of your post beat the crap out of me. I dont know where to place your hate. Are you angry at the late Goldie or Nairaland's front page? Tell us which so that i will know our to reply your Stewpid, silly, Foolish, hating self. Oloriburuku omo
Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by rayalesh(m): 10:09am On Feb 15, 2013
Gerardcole: [size=30pt][color=blue]How Do You Prepare for your turn? ? ? ?[/size]

Good Bye Goldie!!!
[/color]

[color=#550000][/color] nobody know when he or she we go, since u don't know that, what are u preparing for
this life is not in our hands. this world is just like a Movie, we are the actors, destiny is the director and our creator is the Producer and Script writer . Only the producer/script writer will know when the film will end and the destiny will direct our path. Everybody will reach the end unknowingly.
May Soul Rest in peace.

1 Like

Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by chucky234(m): 10:10am On Feb 15, 2013
freecocoa: So its been confirmed, isorrite, life is just confusing.

Please, it would be nice if we don't say nasty things about her.

Our own lives don't worth more than hers, in the end we all die.

It could be anyone, she didn't die cos she deserved to, she wasn't the worst person ever, if I had the chance I'd re-say all I said about her.

Thinking of it sef, I said she was ugly, talentless and all yet its not as if her singing voice didn't sound better than mine, its not as if she's not wealthier than I am, its not as if she's not been to places I still dream off, why the hell was I thinking its okay to judge her? Why did I think I could say whatever and not give a shyt? Like I have a song I've ever written.

I'm laughing at myself now grin I was so stup!d, thinking I was better than Goldie, thinking my life was better and more precious than hers that made me talk trash about her.

I really feel like a f00l.
Thats coming from my Sweetcocoa,well said darl. I am almost close to tears
Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by Nobody: 10:12am On Feb 15, 2013
You should be sent to jail for plagiarism. here's the source http://goldieharvey.net/about/
hienyimba: Today The 14th Of Feb. 2013, it has been confirmed that Goldie is dead.

Here is a Round-Up Of The Life & Times of The Iconic Singer - Goldie

PROFILE OF SUSAN OLUWABIMPE ‘GOLDIE’ HARVEY:
Growing up in a family where music was virtually the only bright spot in a tripartite existence that revolved round home, school and church, it did not come as much surprise that Susan Oluwabimpe Harvey now known as Goldie chose to be a singer, songwriter and performer. If it was to give vent to a childhood social denial, available indices indicate that Goldie is making a resounding success of her career choice. If it was to prove to her hitherto unbending dad that her sometimes rebellious streak as a teen was just a quest for her true essence, she has equally succeeded. And everyboy must indeed be very proud of this young lady because less than five years into her musical odyssey, the crown of Nigeria’s nonpareil pop diva now nestles snugly on her golden mane.

Since her emergence onto the pop culture radar a few years ago, Goldie has cut large swaths though the fields of musical accomplishments;
exemplifying a special conception of musical heroine who can say or show anything while providing a view of the bold, confrontational and liberated woman.
Colourful and cerebral, Goldie’s musical strength and depth, sensuality and
serenity have appropriated her as the high water mark that other female singers have to live up to.
Add to that mix the fact that the multiple awards-
winning singer has created a smouldering, public persona that borders on the eccentric and eclectic, otherwise creative and precise, but
engaging enough to keep you talking about her. Despite the mixed reactions to her musical style and outré outlook, Goldie has fitted perfectly into the role of Nigeria’s most consistent female performer of the moment.

EARLY LIFE:
Indeed, in the case of talent and passion, the apple does not fall too far away from the tree. Goldie was born In the early 80s to very educated and successful parents – her mum, late
Mrs. Olabisi Betty from the illustrious Olaiya family
in Ijebu, Ogun State was a former managing director in a bank, while her dad, a native of Ikole-Ekiti, Ekiti State, also retired as a director in
a new generation bank. He is now into full time clerical works in Lagos. The first of four kids, Goldie’s education began at the Green Springs
Montessori Primary School and then St. John's College, Palm Grove, Lagos where Christian Religious Knowledge, she said, was her favourite
subject because she didn’t have to study too hard to pass it. In fact, by the age of 10, she already knew so many bible verses that belied
her age. She recalled, “My childhood was very interesting
but regimented. My Dad was a leader in church and very active too while my mum used to lead the choir. So, as their first child, I took very active
roles in all church activities – drama, choir, bible classes and so on. Church was the only social life we had. On Mondays, we went for bible classes;

Wednesdays were for prayer meetings and then one Friday in a month, we went for vigil. I never had toys or friends because my father thought
they would lead me astray." Thus, her mum was her closest friend. However, the bond that held mother and daughter together snapped irretrievably in 1994.

LOSING HER MUM:
Goldie described her mum as a woman of high
intellectual and moral values. “She was the first to have a scholarship in her family. She was an avid reader and had a lot of certificates and degrees.”
Every night, when every other person had gone to bed, Goldie and her mum would stay up chit- chatting and watching television. She was the
only friend Goldie had. But she died too soon after a long-drawn battle with cancer, leaving behind four kids. “It was a traumatic experience
for me especially because it was like losing my only friend and confidant. I cried bitterly and even up till now, over a decade later, the pain of her demise has not left me.” Goldie is however consoled that she now has another mum in her step-mother who she describes as God-sent.

FORAY INTO MUSIC
A prodigious kid with a strong flair for the arts
and everything creative, Goldie recalled drawing sketches of anything that caught her fancy but whenever her dad saw her drawing, he would
tear it, asking rather erroneously how many people have achieved outstanding success in arts. This however did not deter the blithely ambitious young lady from wanting to give vent to her dreams because like the cliché goes, music expresses that which cannot be put into words
and cannot remain silent.

Goldie had found music through the prism of divas like Celine Dion, Mariah Carey and Toni Braxton. And even at that age, she was already learning the style and nuances of pop, even emulating Braxton’s style
of keeping her side burns oiled. At that time too, it had become pretty obvious that Goldie was an embryonic diva. “I’d been flirting with music all my life. I don’t remember exactly how old but I was incredibly young
when I knew that I’d go into some form of entertainment. Everybody who knew me back then knew that I could sing because I was always singing in school or church; I’ve always had that artistic flair.” So, when she got to the UK where she had been admitted to study Business Management at the University of Sunderland, she and a couple of friends formed an informal group which performed for friends and family. The
group even did a couple of demos which never really made it out. GOING PROFESSIONAL Interestingly, Goldie’s return to Nigeria in the
mid-2000s did not quite signal an immediate take-off for her career. Rather, she concentrated on building her date-reminder services business.
In the course of this, she needed to do a jingle and was introduced to Mani of Cool FM who bowled her over with his production aplomb.
They talked about music and what they’d like to achieve. The young lady evinced unadulterated passion and determination which prompted Mani
to introduce her to industry players. Then, she
met renowned producer, OJB Jezreel who would produce her first single, Komole. This was followed by three other singles Spin Me, Nothing
has Changed, and Shift, which all formed part of her compilation CD. Since then, there has been no stopping her. Through the turbulence, drudgery
and seeming imperviousness of the music industry, Goldie held her own, talent for talent, and creativity for creativity. After a tentative
management deal in 2009, Goldie was signed on to Nigeria’s foremost music label, Kennis Music in 2010. A few months later, she released her debut album, Gold, which given Nigerians’ apathy towards pop music, has been a critical success.

The album exudes the audacity and flamboyance of Goldie, and has spewed a couple of provocative, smart, and infectious videos; You Know It, JawoJawo and DTMB (Don’t Touch My Body) The 3 songs are now certified street anthems with increasing followership. “For me,
the clothing, the props, and the creative direction must be properly coordinated because I want my fans to have very specific imagery in their head when they're listening to the music and watching the accompanying video.” Continuing, she says, “Entertainment as a whole has gone
visual. The best way to sell yourself and your music is to make a video… I will say for the record though, that I love shooting music videos, that’s one of the highlights of being in my profession; I like bringing my fantasies to life.
A good music video is just one of the many ways to do this.” Little wonder, the video for ‘You Know it’ won the best female video at the 2010
SoundCity Music Video Awards and also picked the award for best use of costume at the Nigerian

Awards and Accolades
Music Video Awards; while DTMB picked up best
Afro Pop video at the 2011 Nmva’s. TRIVIA A movie buff and avid reader, when Goldie is not in the comfort of her home, she is making good
music at the Kennis Music Studio. Though a nocturnal person, you can hardly find Goldie at Night clubs because she believes in channelling
such hours into creative engagements. ACCOLADES Goldie is an ambassador of Project Alert, a world renowned not for profit organisation aimed at advocating Zero tolerance to all forms of violence
against women and young girls. This rare honour was bestowed upon her after the president of the organisation saw all the charity works she had been doing on her own. Goldie has so far in the past year nabbed a total
of ten (10 awards) including Exquisite Lady of the year (ELOY) Best Female Artiste award and City People Best Female Artiste of the year... She has also been inducted as a Federal Celebrity
Special Marshal alongside other notable Nigerian Celebrities. The Law Students Society of the Obafemi Awolowo University (O.A.U) recently
issued her an Award for Musical Excellence under the category of Best Female Artiste of the Year.
She has also been conferred a United Nations Youth Ambassador for Peace by the Federal Government. Having won all the major awards on the African continent, headlined major events within and
outside the continent, hosted sold-out tours, Goldie is not just a name but a brand that have since carved a niche for herself as a leading
African Female pop Diva.

BBA
Goldie became the final celebrity to exit the BBA7 star game house in 2012 as the 3rd runner up.

Other Achievements
The video for SAY MY NAME received BEST POP COSTUME at the Nigerian Music Video Awards (NMVA) in December 2012. She was also honoured with a SPECIAL RECOGNITION AWARD at Top Naija music awards same month. Queen G is currently working on a Continental-wide musical project titled THE AFRICA INVASION ALBUM.

The first 3 hits off the Naughty Singles compilation; SKIBOBO featuring AY (Tanzania), MILIKI featuring NAVIO (Uganda), and GIVE IT TO
ME featuring J MARTINS (Nigeria), have all recorded massive downloads worldwide.

*goodnight gentle soul* R.I.P
Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by guvna(m): 10:14am On Feb 15, 2013
Ich_el: Na pple lyk u wey i dey wait for. Wetin be dat wey tell? If u have notin to say jst fckoff dear and

Abeg Slap am again!

1 Like

Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by Joowilliams: 10:19am On Feb 15, 2013
freecocoa: So its been confirmed, isorrite, life is just confusing.

Please, it would be nice if we don't say nasty things about her.

Our own lives don't worth more than hers, in the end we all die.

It could be anyone, she didn't die cos she deserved to, she wasn't the worst person ever, if I had the chance I'd re-say all I said about her.

Thinking of it sef, I said she was ugly, talentless and all yet its not as if her singing voice didn't sound better than mine, its not as if she's not wealthier than I am, its not as if she's not been to places I still dream off, why the hell was I thinking its okay to judge her? Why did I think I could say whatever and not give a shyt? Like I have a song I've ever written.

I'm laughing at myself now grin I was so stup!d, thinking I was better than Goldie, thinking my life was better and more precious than hers that made me talk trash about her.

I really feel like a f00l.
If you remain on the hateful path after reading the above epistle, then you are surely beyond redemption.
I love you freecocoa.
Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by executinal(m): 10:22am On Feb 15, 2013
R.I.P Goldie
Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by OmolodMilkman93(m): 10:23am On Feb 15, 2013
aigjoey:
Y pay for browsing data when u can gt up to 5gb for free with ur Airtel sim with expiring date put at December 2014. Gv me a call if u ar interested. 07083731078,
dude, who d hell re u and wat u doing here, cant u see piple re mourning
Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by DrChatNuff: 10:25am On Feb 15, 2013
Who d hell is she
Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by blazzin: 10:28am On Feb 15, 2013
R.i.p goldie
Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by oluchi557(f): 10:29am On Feb 15, 2013
homesteady: OP Na wa for you oo!!!....itt's barely 24 hours she died and you've already compiled her biography.
I suggest that the police should make you a prime suspect in her death case
lol oh boy u wicked o o
Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by iamdsam: 10:35am On Feb 15, 2013
kheart: hehehehehe even after her death u still hate? Mehnn dis s real haterz club. Smh.
LMFAO
Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by Hugo7(m): 10:35am On Feb 15, 2013
An icon indeed,if dont know her dont rubbish her.....9ja music industry has lost a star...GOD KNOWS BEST...R.I.P GOLDIE
Re: Goldie: Life & Times Of The Iconic Singer. by folahann(m): 10:37am On Feb 15, 2013
To be honest I really liked that song GIVE IT TO ME, where she featured J-martins

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tonto Dikeh Mocks Nollywood Folks That She Didn't Reply Their Shades / Charly Boy Releases New Pictures / BBNaija's Soma Survives Accident (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.