Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,644 members, 7,801,871 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:00 AM

African Entrepreneurs Making It Big with Software or Web Businessess - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / African Entrepreneurs Making It Big with Software or Web Businessess (816 Views)

How To Get Own Mobile Or Web Site For Free If You Have No Coding Skills / Who Knows A Best Live Streaming Software Or Company For Websites? / Which Software Or Cms Is Best For Designing Forum? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Entrepreneurs Making It Big with Software or Web Businessess by mambenanje(m): 3:11pm On Mar 13, 2008
Hello all
last week or so I started a controversial post "bill gates of Africa, " or so. Now I want to come up with a follow up so we can all end the day.
Here goes the questions:
Do you think you are an African with a successfull Internet/computer business like facebook, yahoo or hi5.com,etc
if you think so
POST THE BUSINESS AND GIVE US SOME STATS AND LETS SEE IF YOU ARE REALY MAKING IT BIG.
Shout make we hear !!!!!
Re: African Entrepreneurs Making It Big with Software or Web Businessess by aphoe(m): 5:27pm On Mar 13, 2008
hmmmm,

where exactly are you going? or what exactly are you driving at?
Re: African Entrepreneurs Making It Big with Software or Web Businessess by aphoe(m): 5:28pm On Mar 13, 2008
hmmmm,

where exactly are you going? or what exactly are you driving at?
Re: African Entrepreneurs Making It Big with Software or Web Businessess by Afam(m): 5:39pm On Mar 13, 2008
mambenanje:

Do you think you are an African with a successfull Internet/computer business like facebook, yahoo or hi5.com,etc

Such information don't start at discussion forums. You hear it in the news.
Re: African Entrepreneurs Making It Big with Software or Web Businessess by mambenanje(m): 5:44pm On Mar 13, 2008
well men
I just want to know what my african brothers have been doing and a discussion forum is a media ground.
there are many news articles in this forum, so I dont see ur point afam
I want posting of stuffs like nairaland which is successfull by Seun
and others like Webmasters of Africa which is also faring by my2cents
Re: African Entrepreneurs Making It Big with Software or Web Businessess by prodgalson: 6:17pm On Mar 13, 2008
mambenanje:

No, you specifically said you want postings of stuff like "facebook, yahoo or hi5.com". Afam has a sound point, because accomplishments on that scale are already in the public eye. If you want to talk about sites with great potential to be big, that's a different story. You wouldn't have mentioned 'stats' and 'making it big'

Question, what are you seeking out? First the bill gates of Africa, now the yahoo.com of Africa, are you evaluating competition? Looking for a way to reassure yourself that you are among the big boy developers in Naija? smiley

If you have genuine curiosity of people 'making it big', then stay tuned to these african blogs, and look up the companies they talk about :
http://timbuktuchronicles..com/
http://www.afrigadget.com
http://www.whiteafrican.com
Re: African Entrepreneurs Making It Big with Software or Web Businessess by mambenanje(m): 6:24pm On Mar 13, 2008
well Prodgal
I get you clearly and I like the blogs you just posted but I wanted guys to expose their works, and all they do is criticise. I prefer they dont post anything. If I wanted to check if am amongst the top guys what I will do is post my own business and call a challenge but all I did was create a topic so guys could post stuff so others can see.
The title clearly states where I was going to and I am sorry if you got me wrong.
Re: African Entrepreneurs Making It Big with Software or Web Businessess by Afam(m): 6:54pm On Mar 13, 2008
mambenanje:

well men
I just want to know what my african brothers have been doing and a discussion forum is a media ground.
there are many news articles in this forum, so I don't see your point afam

As prodgalson already pointed out you are either confused or confused. That means either way you are confused.

How many times will you make comments only to turn around to deny them or claim people may have gotten you wrong?

Think before you post.
Re: African Entrepreneurs Making It Big with Software or Web Businessess by mambenanje(m): 6:58pm On Mar 13, 2008
@A* or so
if I didnt think before posting you wont be commenting right now.
but if you dont get the point then you keep it low, or is it that you dont have any product you can show off ??
I dont get it, why are u against the post ??
do u think its about competition if so yes its about competition if no competition then Microsoft wont be trying to buy Yahoo to better fight Google. Man competition is key, so I wanted to see what others are doing and also to let everybody see what others are doing, so they could better compete.
its my intention and he who ever gets me wrong can do whatever
Re: African Entrepreneurs Making It Big with Software or Web Businessess by Afam(m): 7:18pm On Mar 13, 2008
Seems you are generally new on the web so can excuse your comments that are neither here nor there.

Why would everyone be misunderstanding you? It is either there is something wrong with you or something wrong with us.
Re: African Entrepreneurs Making It Big with Software or Web Businessess by prodgalson: 8:15pm On Mar 13, 2008
Guys now, no be so. Time dey too short. Let's discuss how man will make it, and fashi the little things.

@mambenanje : I wouldnt call it criticising. the bloggers talk about companies, and give their opinion on them. I think it's great that they are exposing these companies to us, but I would take their opinions with a grain of salt, and not as grounded criticism. Bookmark them, you wont be sorry :-)

That aside, your signatures says you're flash certified. Very cool. How long have you been using flash and when did you receive your certification? Under macromedia or more recently under Adobe? Please let me know where I can see more of your flash work. (other than 2faceidibiafans )
Re: African Entrepreneurs Making It Big with Software or Web Businessess by damolat: 9:13am On Mar 14, 2008
Well I have been reading all the replies relating to this post and am a bit interested in this. I think y'all should stop criticizing this dude, and just understand the point of his discussion. If you know any guys making it big, why don't you tell us so we can learn from them. If you don't know, wait for others to post so you can also gain from it. All these criticisms just screams BEEF!! and that is not a good side.
Re: African Entrepreneurs Making It Big with Software or Web Businessess by ThePhantom(m): 9:41am On Mar 14, 2008
@mambenanje

Do you want to know one reson why there isn't any nigeria startup companies with the big profile like facebook, myspace, bebo, google etc. it is because there is nobody backing them up(No cash to take the idea to the next level) do you think this companies made it big without funding. If google didn't get funded they will not be where they are now(plus they had a very good product). For example there is a nigerian site I saw doing(trying) gps maping of nigeria. The site and idea has great potential, but it is lsowly been developed. A good Idea then MONEY MONEY MONEY
Re: African Entrepreneurs Making It Big with Software or Web Businessess by mambenanje(m): 6:58pm On Mar 14, 2008
@prodgal
I am Macromedia Certified Flash Developer for MX 2004, since August 2005. I stumbled upon flash in 2004 and till today am still on it. To see more of my flash works just visit www.afrovisiongroup.com and see all stuffs I have been doing or direct www.afrovisiongroup.com/projects.php

@***
I know Africans need Venture Capital, but there are other means of taking your company up without venture capital if you have a good product you can use your skills raise money and invest into your company.
And besides there are no excuses in life, you wont say its because I didnt get a VC firm thats why I am not making it big, at the end of it all you didnt make it big.
So guys with skills can get into other ways of generating funds rather than VC firms, you could work fora company or catch contracts from government or company or seek for some outsourcing jobs from guys over sees, and then invest into your company and make it big
REMEMBER THERE ARE NO EXCUSSES IN LIFE, its either you make it big or you don't.
I would still want guys to post success stories here so that some of us can read and learn new ways of making it in Africa
Re: African Entrepreneurs Making It Big with Software or Web Businessess by my2cents(m): 8:23pm On Mar 14, 2008
speaking of African entrepreneurs:

Check out this Nigerian-born, US-based Millionaire who also happens to have made the Black Enterprise Magazine's Top 40 under 40 list (Dec 2007 Issue):

His Bio:
http://blackherald.egoong.com/?p=124

His Site:
http://www.hopstop.com/

Check it out. You just might learn something cool
Re: African Entrepreneurs Making It Big with Software or Web Businessess by prodgalson: 9:52pm On Mar 14, 2008
Na lie, I use hopstop everyday. Literally, I didnt even know.
reading his bio now.

Nice one, 2ยข
Re: African Entrepreneurs Making It Big with Software or Web Businessess by mambenanje(m): 9:56pm On Mar 14, 2008
man I must say Echeruo is a nice sample of an African who has made it big, with 3million USD a year or so
I must say I give him n rounds of applause, I hope more Africans get to his level.

(1) (Reply)

Vacancy For Web/graphics Designer / Rate My Forum Please. / N1.00k Bulk Sms With Api & Reseller Options

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.