Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,338 members, 7,808,200 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:32 AM

Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? (5019 Views)

Sex Will Make Your Relationship Stronger Only At The Appropriate Time / Reasons Why Living With Him Won't Get You An Engagement Ring / Marriage Proposal: Does The Quality Of The Engagement Ring Matter? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Feb 15, 2013
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Feb 15, 2013
It is not really inapt,but to avoid being perceived as desperate or insane,give him the money to buy it himself.
He's the one engaging u. You're not engaging urself.
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by Nobody: 3:36pm On Feb 15, 2013
IMO,it is not appropriate undecided Do you expect the bride's dad to pay for the whole wedding as well?

i think that this is crazy. Its backwards. Maybe Im old school cheesy but a man should be the one providing the ring. If I am a male and dating a woman,then she buys her own ring I dont think I could be with her. There are just somethings you just let a man do and this is one of them. If she is buying me the ring makes me feels like she is rushing me and if she is rushing me is she truely the one? The saying is a man should seek the woman.
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by Acidosis(m): 3:41pm On Feb 15, 2013
what brand of ring?

Is it a must to use a N50K ring?
like what is wrong with Nigerians

This is exactly how ppl put themselves in big financial crises...
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by Acidosis(m): 3:44pm On Feb 15, 2013
N.B
The N50k is just a written value... not the real worth.. dunno the selling price of engagement rings.. I've never bn engaged.
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Feb 15, 2013
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Feb 15, 2013
sanb: If a guy proposes to his fiancée without an engagement ring due to his inability to afford one at the moment and she accepts; is it then appropriate for her to go ahead and buy herself an engagement ring cos she probably can afford to do so? The reason for such an action; was mainly to avoid people asking why she hasn’t got an engagement ring on....

So my question to the ladies and guys below:

To the guys; how would you react if your fiancée goes ahead and buys herself an engagement ring? With or without your consent?

To the ladies; even though you can afford it, is it appropriate to go ahead and buy your own engagement ring knowing fully well that your fiancé couldn’t afford to buy you one at the moment?

Ladies and Gents; share your views.....

Well, to me there is no cause for alarm. I believe she might have done that just because she truly and genuinely accept my proposal and also trying to re-affirm her conviction.
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Feb 15, 2013
True talk....wasn't me though but this looks like an option I’ll pass on to my cousin.....
binger: It is not really inapt,but to avoid being perceived as desperate or insane,give him the money to buy it himself.
He's the one engaging u. You're not engaging urself.
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Feb 15, 2013
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Feb 15, 2013
Yeah; food for thought...
kunletiwoo:

Well, to me there is no cause for alarm. I believe she might have done that just because she truly and genuinely accept my proposal and also trying to re-affirm her conviction.
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by Moyola(f): 3:56pm On Feb 15, 2013
In dis case, NO! tongue
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Feb 15, 2013
Lol; love your blunt answer.....
Moyola: In dis case, NO! tongue
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by Acidosis(m): 3:58pm On Feb 15, 2013
sanb: My cousin can afford to buy the ring; hence no financial crises. She's just trying to avoid people looking at her finger without seeing an engagement ring....but as you said sometimes ladies go OTT about engagement rings believe me....
oh well then... If getting the ring would make her happy.. why not
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by omega25red(m): 4:00pm On Feb 15, 2013
A woman who goes to buy a ring for herself is a thirsty bi0tch. She is so eager to show off that she is engaged. If the dude proposes and he didn't have a ring or can't afford a ring then probably he shouldn't have proposed. Better yet he could tell her that he would love to propose but he doesn't have the money for the ring. if she then says she has money for the ring they can go buy it together.
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by UjSizzle(f): 4:01pm On Feb 15, 2013
Where have you been girl? Hope you're good.

@topic. I think the purpose of a a ring is to seal the deal of marriage ie, an offer has been made and accepted. If a man can't afford a ring for engagement. I think he can use anything else. Rings are just conventional, bracelets won't be bad at all tongue.
But seriously, i don't think it's appropriate she gets herself a ring. Traditionally, it's a man's role to do that when he's coming to propose. If he can't afford to buy one that's expensive enough, something within his pauper means will do till he can upgrade. The woman he loves will certainly understand...hopefully.

Outside that, if they are open minded enough n she's certain he'll eventually marry her, i guess it's okay. So long they have an understanding and she lets him do the shopping himself smiley. A man still needs his pride intact...
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by Acidosis(m): 4:10pm On Feb 15, 2013
We spend most of our time trying to satisfy those who care less about us. Imagine wearing a ring because of what "they'll say".
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Feb 15, 2013
sanb: True talk....wasn't me though but this looks like an option I’ll pass on to my cousin.....
okay...it's the right thing to do,i guess
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by Nobody: 4:56pm On Feb 15, 2013
Going to buy it together as you've suggested seems like a plausible option...
omega25red: if she then says she has money for the ring they can go buy it together.
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Feb 15, 2013
You see; that's where women differ....
Acidosis: We spend most of our time trying to satisfy those who care less about us. Imagine wearing a ring because of what "they'll say".
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Feb 15, 2013
Desperate lady in action.
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Feb 15, 2013
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Feb 15, 2013
Probably not...
Yomieluv: Desperate lady in action.

1 Like

Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by tellwsdom: 6:46pm On Feb 15, 2013
Please buy one for me too... sad
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by greedie1(f): 7:54pm On Feb 15, 2013
it is not appropriate! he doesn't ve to buy an expensive ring. we ve rings as cheap as -1000.... i think. it should come from him...

don't look at me, im old fashioned that way
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by Nobody: 8:12pm On Feb 15, 2013
Pls never attempt to start anything that you can't finish.. The moment you do, then be ready to do almost all in furtherance to marriage.

1 Like

Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by Nobody: 10:17am On Feb 17, 2013
It is inappropriate. Plus, it appears she might have been doing many other 'inappropriate' things in a bid to 'save face'.

From what you've said so far, I reckon that dude ain't ready for marriage. I may be wrong, but that's what I think.
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Feb 18, 2013
Lol at old fashioned...don't think you're.... cheesy
gree-die:
it is not appropriate! he doesn't ve to buy an expensive ring. we ve rings as cheap as -1000.... i think. it should come from him...

don't look at me, im old fashioned that way
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Feb 18, 2013
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Feb 18, 2013
True....
Onainor Samuel :
Pls never attempt to start anything that you can't finish.. The moment you do, then be ready to do almost all in furtherance to marriage.
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by k2039: 9:06am On Feb 23, 2013
Unfortunately, I'm rich enough to buy a ring for any girl I deem fit, if she thinks it's cheap then there is a problem, a big one at that.

So if a guy is ready to date someone, he shouldn't be that broke not to be able to afford a ring, if he can't then he doesn't deserve her and he is unprepared for a relationship with her.

Finaly, If she is desperate to get a ring, she can get one for herself and when the guy is rich enough to buy one she can then accept his'. Afterall for her to be desperate about a ring it shows that 'Owo lo po ni owo e'(she has enough money to want to spare on a ring).
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by Beync(f): 10:30am On Feb 23, 2013
If there is mutual understanding between themselves, plus they don't need to tell the word who bought the ring.
Re: Is It Appropriate For A Lady To Buy An Engagement Ring For Herself? by freecocoa(f): 11:34am On Feb 23, 2013
I don't even give a shyt about engagement ring sef, my own is when is the wedding date?

Its not about wearing engagement ring and waiting to get married till forever.

(1) (2) (Reply)

He Left Me Because Of A Rich Girl... / How A 14-year Old Girl Toasted And Trying To Lure Me To BED / The sexiest Black Woman (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.