Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,353 members, 7,800,706 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:46 AM

Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu (23397 Views)

Buhari May Spend One Term In Office, ‘president Already Has A Successor In Mind’ / Buhari's One-term Pledge Tears APC Leaders Apart / Governor Hides Jonathan’s One Term Pact Document (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by bethnals: 10:17pm On Feb 15, 2013
Governor of Niger State Babangida Aliyu has revealed of the existence of an agreement signed between President Goodluck Jonathan and some Northern governors in which Jonathan pledged to do only one term of four years from 2011 to 2015.

The governor said it was on the basis of that agreement that himself and some other Northern Governors, especially those of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party supported the President during the 2011 Presidential election, a decision that majority of the people of the region found offensive.

In an interview he granted Liberty FM which would be aired for the first time tomorrow, Governor Babangida Aliyu who is also the chairman of Northern Governors Forum (NGF) said he and others are with copies of the agreement which Jonathan duly signed, and in which he promised to do only one terms of four years.

The Hausa version of the Governor’s interview is billed to be aired between 11am to 12noon tomorrow while the English version would be on air by 12noon and would be on till 1pm.

The Governor said he and the other signatories of the agreement have no doubt that the President would keep the terms of the agreement. He added that President Jonathan has not told them that he will contest the 2015 Presidential election as is being speculated.

http://dailytimes.com.ng/article/jonathan-signed-agreement-north-do-one-term-says-gov-babangida-aliyu

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by Nobody: 10:25pm On Feb 15, 2013
there is an older agreement which was not honored
it is called the aburi accord!

80 Likes

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by aljharem(m): 10:28pm On Feb 15, 2013
re@lchange:

grin grin grin grin grin true ! but that is the past. GEJ should honour his agreement

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by 9jaIhail(m): 10:31pm On Feb 15, 2013
Do these people think Nigeria belongs to them? Are these people still living in the days when they claimed to be owners of Nigeria, Aliyu Babangida or what you call yourself, better start adapting to the system now or get left behind. A president has to signed agreement with Northerners to rule his country. Rubbish

16 Likes

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by 9jaIhail(m): 10:34pm On Feb 15, 2013
alj harem:

grin grin grin grin grin true ! but that is the past. GEJ should honour his agreement

What agreement are you talking about? When will Northerners come to sign agreement with the sout west or east before ruling this country?

Anyone who think GEJ is dull need to have his or her brain checked.

11 Likes

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by Nobody: 10:39pm On Feb 15, 2013
alj harem:

On Aburi we stand. We dont keep to agreement here in Nigeria. NORTHERNERS; DOES IT HURT ??

36 Likes

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by Nobody: 10:41pm On Feb 15, 2013
alj harem:

alhaji my friend happy new year o.

but how can you say this when 2 or 3 million people still lay dead because of that
you see?
can we wake them up again?

9 Likes

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by Nobody: 10:42pm On Feb 15, 2013
i guess agreements don't work in nigeria
only jipiti works all the time
Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by Nobody: 11:15pm On Feb 15, 2013
Now they will know the true meaning of People Deceiving People and experience the mighty power of incumbency.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by tomakint: 11:53pm On Feb 15, 2013
re@lchange:
That was thoughtful of you, and just imagine how life works, and now a Biafran (Goodluck Jonathan) is at the helms of affair in the same country they (northerners) once held sway! Indeed, there is a law of RETRIBUTION cool

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by aljharem(m): 12:09am On Feb 16, 2013
re@lchange:

alhaji my friend happy new year o.

but how can you say this when 2 or 3 million people still lay dead because of that
you see?
can we wake them up again?

My brother I understand and I know we can't wake them up again. Trust me when I say we feel sorry about it, let try and move on, painful as it might seem, please forgive Nigerians. Anyone that says it is not painful must be a heartless being.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by Nobody: 12:13am On Feb 16, 2013
alj harem:

My brother I understand and I know we can't wake them up again. Trust me when I say we feel sorry about it, let try and move on, painful as it might seem, please forgive Nigerians. Anyone that says it is not painful must be a heartless being.

thank you for saying that alhaji
it means a lot
maybe nigeria can still make it, but lets be honest through and through
half truths can't help

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by eggheaders(m): 7:03am On Feb 16, 2013
9ja_I_hail: Do these people think Nigeria belongs to them? Are these people still living in the days when they claimed to be owners of Nigeria, Aliyu Babangida or what you call yourself, better start adapting to the system now or get left behind. A president has to signed agreement with Northerners to rule his country. Rubbish

it make sense for you to scold the shoeless power drunk.for entering an agreement he will not fulfil.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by ASSlimm: 7:33am On Feb 16, 2013
D dumbest president eva, u sign an agreement n wan2 go bac on it, u wan2 win an election without d north or its governors, all u GEJ supporters r really dillusioned. On dos ov u talkin of Aburi, all d victims of d war in d East hv only Ojukwu 2blame n no1 else. Ur so called runaway hero.

12 Likes

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by Tolexander: 8:48am On Feb 16, 2013
lobatan!
Signed an agreement or not. If Jonathan was smart enough i believed he should have a counter agreement to outsmart the God forsaken 'born to rule' northern leaders. But i doubt Jonathan having it. Trust OBJ, that is why it is good to be cunny at times.
Little wonder he had to refute and dissociated himself from the Jan 1st poster of his 2015 presidential campaign.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by HAH: 9:15am On Feb 16, 2013
Agreement is agreement let him honour it and he has even said it openly in a rally that he is going to do only one term.

Jonathan is fighting with Obj, fighting governors, fighting Hausa, fighting Yoruba chei small boy is playing with fire.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by 9jaIhail(m): 9:29am On Feb 16, 2013
eggheaders:

it make sense for you to scold the shoeless power drunk.for entering an agreement he will not fulfil.

Don't blame the president he is a student of Gowan, Aburi still fresh in mind.

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by omiobo: 9:31am On Feb 16, 2013
Gej will ruin PDP if he doesn't step down by 2015.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by 9jaIhail(m): 9:31am On Feb 16, 2013
A.S Slimm:
D dumbest president eva, u sign an agreement n wan2 go bac on it, u wan2 win an election without d north or its governors, all u GEJ supporters r really dillusioned. On dos ov u talkin of Aburi, all d victims of d war in d East hv only Ojukwu 2blame n no1 else. Ur so called runaway hero.

Yes we heard you, but now let uncle GEJ enjoy his ASO ROCK while you and your fellow victims continue crying.

16 Likes

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by pazienza(m): 10:03am On Feb 16, 2013
A.S Slimm:

Well, one can always renege on agreements,or better still restructure it to fit his whims and caprices. The north taught us that. It's high time they are fed from their pot.

GEJ can always claim that he was out witted by a cunning north in signing the agreement,and that he wasn't aware of the full implications of the silly agreement. He can go on an give the north most of their demands but he must hold on to the main one,which is the presidency.

If the north complains of being shortchanged,he can always get the media to write ill of them,telling nigerians how greedy they are,and how they came to negotiation table wanting to make no sacrifices for the peace of the country.

If they try rubbish,they would be showed the military might of nigeria,and they will know why ihejirika was made the COAS.

Now,this is the standard procedure,that works in one nigeria.

17 Likes

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by eggheaders(m): 10:45am On Feb 16, 2013
9ja_I_hail:

Don't blame the president he is a student of Gowan, Aburi still fresh in mind.

your foolishness is gross.how has gowon issue and this one in anyone alike.too much palmwine at the village square is having a toll on you.
Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by homerac7: 11:04am On Feb 16, 2013
lol. agreement indeed...

by principle it should be honoured, but in Nigeria politics, it doesn't always need be if it doesn't suit the incumbent. Ask about Aburi conference and PDP zoning formula. But again, what did Macchiavelli say about agreements?...the moment it doesn't suit you any longer, ditch it and claim that you did that under duress or with incomplete information. shikena! cool cool cool

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by Gbawe: 11:13am On Feb 16, 2013
Aliyu, what are you going to do about it? Abeg, get into the mud, play politics and quit whining helplessly. We all know GEJ is treacherous and "no gentleman" as IBB et al have always avowed so it must be especially sweet for the likes of IBB to now watch Aliyu, Lamido, Yuguda et al complaining about treachery today when, for the sake of personal ambition, they supported the personification of the word in 2011. Very rewarding watching all this 'drama'. PDP implosion under way and I will enjoy the show from my front aisle seat.

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by Nobody: 11:36am On Feb 16, 2013
The fact that these fools made him sign something proves how dumb and stvpiid he is and how selfish they are, let's wise up, drive them out and get a reliable under 40 guy/babe to run for president and vice and lock all these fools up.
Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by Nobody: 11:41am On Feb 16, 2013
I dont know the relevance of this so called agreement as the North clearly did not vote Jonathan in the last election.

I personally think Jonathan will loose the next election if he dares to contest but what I will not accept are silly claims like these.

The North is a section of Nigeria and bound by the provisions of our constitution. They do not have the power to renegotiate the terms of that consitution either in the dark or in day light. If they so want power they should identify a Presidential candidate they think can move this country forward and show us his track record while also tell us what he will do in office.

Enough of this sectional madness!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by Gbawe: 12:02pm On Feb 16, 2013
mikeansy: I dont know the relevance of this so called agreement as the North clearly did not vote Jonathan in the last election.

I personally think Jonathan will loose the next election if he dares to contest but what I will not accept are silly claims like these.

The North is a section of Nigeria and bound by the provisions of our constitution. They do not have the power to renegotiate the terms of that consitution either in the dark or in day light. If they so want power they should identify a Presidential candidate they think can move this country forward and show us his track record while also tell us what he will do in office.

Enough of this sectional madness!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Aliyu is invoking this so called agreement now because him, Lamido, Yuguda et al, against the advise of IBB and co, had delivered the States delegates GEJ needed to defeat Atiku at the PDP primaries. The thinking of Aliyu et al were two-fold. First, they thought by helping GEJ, who had pledged to do one term, they would have a clear path to the PDP Presidential ticket for 2015.

Two, Aliyu and other Northern 'young guns' thought supporting GEJ to gain 4 years strategically weakens the older power brokers in the North like Atiku, IBB, Cirmoma et al because those guys would be 4 years older by 2015 and politically weaker.

Finally, if you read again, you will note Aliyu stated that GEJ signed an agreement with Northern governors. He did not say GEJ signed an agreement with the North. That distinction must be made so we do not go on another round of Nairalanders unfairly ranting against the "born to rule" North. The Northern Governors, essentially limited to those within GEJ's own Party, did what they did for personal ambition so we must be careful not to drag the entire region into issues limited to the actions of a few.

Governor of Niger State Babangida Aliyu has revealed of the existence of an agreement signed between President Goodluck Jonathan and some Northern governors in which Jonathan pledged to do only one term of four years from 2011 to 2015.

The governor said it was on the basis of that agreement that himself and some other Northern Governors, especially those of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party supported the President during the 2011 Presidential election, a decision that majority of the people of the region found offensive.

13 Likes

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by superior1: 12:07pm On Feb 16, 2013
Gbawe:

I think Aliyu is invoking this so called agreement now because him, Lamido, Yuguda et al, against the advise of IBB and co, had delivered the States delegates GEJ needed to defeat Atiku at the PDP primaries. The thinking of Aliyu et al were two-fold. First, they thought by helping GEJ, who had pledged to do one term, they would have a clear path to the PDP Presidential ticket for 2015.

Two, Aliyu and other Northern 'young guns' thought supporting GEJ to gain 4 years strategically weakens the older power brokers in the North like Atiku, IBB, Cirmoma et al because those guys would be 4 years older by 2015 and politically weaker.

Finally, if you read again, you will note Aliyu stated that GEJ signed an agreement with Northern governors. He did not say GEJ signed an agreement with the North. That distinction must be made so we do not go on another round of Nairalanders unfairly ranting against the "born to rule" North. The Northern Governors, essentially limited to those within GEJ's own Party, did what they did for personal ambition so we must be careful not to drag the entire region into issues limited to the actions of a few.

You made a sensible post. I only hope Aliyu does not think anybody will vote him to become president

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by kettykings: 12:08pm On Feb 16, 2013
Has the north ever honored any agreement even the one made to their slaves in the south tha Aburi in 1966 and the June12 Election one wonders if and how someone who does not honor agreement with others will expect others to honor their agreement.

Goodluck should just run and run as fast as his constituency can carry him , Nigeria is too big and vast as a nation anybody who does not want GEJ should ask for a referendum like they are doing in Texas and California over Obama

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:43pm On Feb 16, 2013
kettykings: Has the north ever honored any agreement even the one made to their slaves in the south tha Aburi in 1966 and the June12 Election one wonders if and how someone who does not honor agreement with others will expect others to honor their agreement.

Goodluck should just run and run as fast as his constituency can carry him , Nigeria is too big and vast as a nation anybody who does not want GEJ should ask for a referendum like they are doing in Texas and California over Obama

^^^Precisely! These northern ruling elite (core northern/moslem mainly) only think of 'being the gentleman' and 'honoring agreements' when the shoe's on the other foot; besides Aburi and June 12, i can think of so many other instances when they've royally shafted others, and not done things in the spirit of equity, fairness and keeping to ones word- like the distribution of oyel wells since the 70's; and mouthing off mere empty slogans after the civil war of 'no victor, no vanquished' only to then proceed to systematically underdevelop and marginalise the south east in all respects (political/economic/social).

Any dubious agreements these 'owners of Nigeria' may have signed in some dingy dark room with GEJ is not worth the paper it's written on, and is unconstitutional insofar as Nigerians (with whom sovereignty lies) were not aware of or approved it.....so it's not binding on GEJ, and that's where the argument should end.

These people have got some nerve, walahi!

13 Likes

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by Nobody: 12:46pm On Feb 16, 2013
I really have no time to rationalise the politics of what Aliyu said or is trying to say.

It is time to make it clear that we have to get past this silly entitlement mentality. Governor Aliyu is a Northern leader and since he made that comment no one from the North has come out to denounce it. If the constitution allows GEJ to contest the next election it should be GEJ's prerogative and no one else whether he chooses to contest or not.

Aliyu can start telling Nigerians his programmes and how the PDP under his leadership will be any better than the current one. He can also provide his records in Niger State as proof to that effect.

Enough of the deal making and politics of horse trading. Let him tell Nigerians what he can offer differently!!!!

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by otokx(m): 1:33pm On Feb 16, 2013
re@lchange:
best reply thus far

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu by segxyrema: 1:37pm On Feb 16, 2013
Forget agreement or no agreement GEJ is going nowhere,nothing like 2nd term,this single term of bloodshed is ok I think.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Picture: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Congratulates Muhammadu Buhari - The Sun. / PDP 90-Man National Campaign Council For Edo 2020 Election / Governor Dapo Abiodun Celebrates His Father, Emmanuel Adesanya's 89th Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.