Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,808 members, 7,802,587 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:52 PM

The Cowardice Of Atheism - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Cowardice Of Atheism (65006 Views)

The Glamour Of Atheism / FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) / Myopia Of Atheism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (79) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 11:52pm On Feb 16, 2013
The impetus for this post was a surprising comment that i read from a popular militant atheist around here...

Logicboy03:
Too risky. [size=14pt]Not one of my friends on facebook knows that I am an atheist.[/size]
Sorry smiley

This was particularly shocking to me. How is it that "atheists" who claim to have such an overwhelming evidence of the mythology of religion be completely unable to discuss these points with their families and friends with the same zeal with which they attack christians here? Are atheists guilty of living a double life? One of affected supreme knowledge of the science that disproves God online (where they have the safety of anonymity) and are complete cowards to their real friends and family outside of here?

While reading through some writings by other prominent atheists, i realized the idea of atheist cowardice isnt quite new... take this for example - In 2010, Christian apologist Mariano Grinbank wrote:
The New Atheists have expressed that the proverbial straw-that-broke-the-Atheist-camel's-back was the group of attacks on the United States of America on September 11, 2001 AD. That is not to say that some of them were not Atheist activists before then, but 9/11 fanned the flames of their activism.
The attacks on 9/11 where primarily caused by Islamic extremism (with a long list of other causes such as maintenance or gaining of power, wealth, popularity, etc.). The question is: what have the New Atheists done in response to this particular event, this particular threat? Surely, they would focus their efforts primarily, if not exclusively, upon confronting this threat, this cause, head on.
Yet, what have the New Atheists done? What they have and have not done makes one wonder if their appeal to 9/11 is a reason or an excuse. After all, why 9/11? Are they not aware of similar atrocities throughout history? Are they not aware of the recent chronicles of the most secular century in human history also being the bloodiest-with millions upon millions being murdered not only during war, but also by their own regimes? (see here).
Have any of the New Atheists toured Islamic countries giving lectures in which they condemn Allah, Muhammad, Islam, or Muslims? Have any of them debated Muslims in Islamic countries? Have any of them been interviewed on Al Jazeera? Have any of them written entire books in which they condemn Allah, Muhammad, Islam, or Muslims? Have they done anything of the sort at all? The answers to all of the above are: "No." Rather, what they have done is sit within the comfort and safety of countries based on Christian principles and conveniently launched condemnations which are roughly quantifiable as being 90% anti-Christian and 10% anti-other religions (and this may be being too generous an estimation).[33]

think about this... how many "atheists" do you see loudly proclaiming that islam is a myth? why do they prefer to sit within the comfort and safety of the christian section of Nairaland conveniently launching vitriolic tirades at God (i.e. Jesus Christ) while paying complete lip service to allah? when questioned on this... why is the puerile excuse usually that "most atheists" were formerly christians anyway?

55 Likes

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 12:06am On Feb 17, 2013
grin grin grin grin

I love you Davidylan (no homo)

8 Likes

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 12:11am On Feb 17, 2013
Logicboy03: grin grin grin grin

I love you Davidylan (no homo)

you have no choice. cheesy cheesy

6 Likes

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 12:15am On Feb 17, 2013
davidylan:

you have no choice. cheesy cheesy

What? You think you have finished me on this thread?

You are only showing your ignorance on the discrimination atheists face from the likes of you.

8 Likes

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 12:25am On Feb 17, 2013
Logicboy03:

What? You think you have finished me on this thread?

You are only showing your ignorance on the discrimination atheists face from the likes of you.

So your claim now is that i have discriminated against you? cheesy You are frighteningly ignorant.

10 Likes

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 12:26am On Feb 17, 2013
davidylan:

So your claim now is that i have discriminated against you? cheesy You are frighteningly ignorant.

Reread the sentence.

5 Likes

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 12:27am On Feb 17, 2013
Logicboy03:

Reread the sentence.

Yes sir.
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Bella3(f): 1:16am On Feb 17, 2013
I love this thread!grin

#grabs extra large pop corn(its gon' be a long show)grin

2 Likes

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by codeaddict(m): 1:32am On Feb 17, 2013
I want to assume the reason why Logicboy keeps his beliefs secret is because of the way Nigerians living in Nigeria react to atheists. We're treated with disdain and disrespect at the slight mention of a doubt in the existence of an Almighty. I had to just stop telling people about my beliefs, cos it's considered radical and heretic here in Nigeria.

19 Likes

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by ARareGem(f): 1:40am On Feb 17, 2013
Interesting...

1 Like

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by An0nimus: 1:46am On Feb 17, 2013
ARareGem: Interesting...
as in eh...Bella pass the popcorn come my sidegrin
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 1:58am On Feb 17, 2013
codeaddict: I want to assume the reason why Logicboy keeps his beliefs secret is because of the way Nigerians living in Nigeria react to atheists. We're treated with disdain and disrespect at the slight mention of a doubt in the existence of an Almighty. I had to just stop telling people about my beliefs, cos it's considered radical and heretic here in Nigeria.

Another coward crying into his tea about how atheists are "treated with disdain" in Nigeria. Tai Solarin founded an entire school based on his atheist beliefs... that school was feared in the 90s for producing some of the most brilliant minds in secondary school then. coupled with boys from Iganmode grammar school, they led Ogun State to JETS victory almost 6-7 times in a row then.

Fela was revered despite how much he mocked christians and muslims... your problem is that you do not have a cogent reason for your lack of belief... so of course you keep quiet to avoid exposing your lack of intelligence.

32 Likes

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 1:58am On Feb 17, 2013
davidylan:

Another coward crying into his tea about how atheists are "treated with disdain" in Nigeria. Tai Solarin founded an entire school based on his atheist beliefs... that school was feared in the 90s for producing some of the most brilliant minds in secondary school then. coupled with boys from Iganmode grammar school, they led Ogun State to JETS victory almost 6-7 times in a row then.

Fela was revered despite how much he mocked christians and muslims... your problem is that you do not have a cogent reason for your lack of belief... so of course you keep quiet to avoid exposing your lack of intelligence.

Davidylan can lie. Gaddem!
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 2:06am On Feb 17, 2013
Logicboy03:
Davidylan can lie. Gaddem!

huh? grin

Its easy... just go ahead and announce your atheism to your friends in the UK. Afterall Richard Dawkins isnt being harassed there no?

1 Like

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by codeaddict(m): 2:13am On Feb 17, 2013
davidylan:

You obviously sound like the deluded believer I pictured you to be. You mention...how many? Two Nigerians who were open about their atheist beliefs. If you actually stay in Nigeria and shared my beliefs, you'll understand what I mean.
Oh, sorry, I forgot...You're brainwashed..You could never think outside the box, even if you wanted to.

7 Likes

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 2:19am On Feb 17, 2013
codeaddict:
You obviously sound like the deluded believer I pictured you to be. You mention...how many? Two Nigerians who were open about their atheist beliefs. If you actually stay in Nigeria and shared my beliefs, you'll understand what I mean.
Oh, sorry, I forgot...You're brainwashed..You could never think outside the box, even if you wanted to.

I purposely mentioned those 2 because of their popularity. Of course there are many more (2 of whom i count as acquaintances) who are not so popular but are just as open about their lack of faith/belief. None of them has been stabbed or persecuted yet. So shove the "poor pity me" act.

Now to disabuse this nonsensical notion that atheism means being able to "think outside the box". You are not really thinking outside the box as much as you've been brainwashed to believe. You've simply traded the religious "myth" for a pseudo-scientific myth. It takes more faith to believe that you are a product of NOTHING than it takes to believe that God created the earth in 8 days.

26 Likes

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by codeaddict(m): 2:26am On Feb 17, 2013
davidylan:

I purposely mentioned those 2 because of their popularity. Of course there are many more (2 of whom i count as acquaintances) who are not so popular but are just as open about their lack of faith/belief. None of them has been stabbed or persecuted yet. So shove the "poor pity me" act.

Now to disabuse this nonsensical notion that atheism means being able to "think outside the box". You are not really thinking outside the box as much as you've been brainwashed to believe. You've simply traded the religious "myth" for a pseudo-scientific myth. It takes more faith to believe that you are a product of NOTHING than it takes to believe that God created the earth in 8 days.
Listen to yourself - God created the earth in 8 days..So, I'm a product of NOTHING, but your God is a product of SOMETHING. How?Why?When?Where? It's all in The Holy Bible. A book that has been constantly disproved and re-disproved. How stupid does that sound?
You've decided to uphold the clay, breath story over a carefully and well-explained scientific process.
A parody indeed. You calling Atheists cowards.

7 Likes

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 2:32am On Feb 17, 2013
codeaddict:
Listen to yourself - God created the earth in 8 days..So, I'm a product of NOTHING, but your God is a product of SOMETHING. How?Why?When?Where? It's all in The Holy Bible. A book that has been constantly disproved and re-disproved. How stupid does that sound?
You've decided to uphold the clay, breath story over a carefully and well-explained scientific process.
A parody indeed. You calling Atheists cowards.

and what is this "carefully and well-explained scientific process"? Care to tell us?
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 2:35am On Feb 17, 2013
davidylan:

and what is this "carefully and well-explained scientific process"? Care to tell us?

If God created the world in 8 days where did the dinosaurs come? i think whoever wrote the bible left something out and how would he know all these things cause writing was used for a long time.

2 Likes

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by codeaddict(m): 2:37am On Feb 17, 2013
davidylan:

Duh, are you also forbidden to read about the Big B'a'n'g?
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 2:38am On Feb 17, 2013
ifeness:

If God created the world in 8 days where did the dinosaurs come?

perhaps atheists should answer a question once rather than hiding behind your multiple questions no? Lets wait for codeaddict to explain to us what this "carefully and well-explained scientific process" is that he touts.

5 Likes

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 2:39am On Feb 17, 2013
codeaddict:
Duh, are you also forbidden to read about the Big B'a'n'g?

Wait, is that your "carefully and well-explained scientific process"? so exactly how did the big b.ang lead to the formation of life?

Touting the big b.and is silly because it presupposes that something MUST have ALWAYS EXISTED... obviously your claim is not that the big b.ang just happened out of nothing no?

4 Likes

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 2:40am On Feb 17, 2013
davidylan:

Wait, is that your "carefully and well-explained scientific process"? so exactly how did the big b.ang lead to the formation of life?

Touting the big b.and is silly because it presupposes that something MUST have ALWAYS EXISTED... obviously your claim is not that the big b.ang just happened out of nothing no?

Look, do yourself a favor and toss your bible aside and pick a few science books to read instead. The genesis story is nothing but a fairy tale invented to answer the needs of the mass of uneducated people around at the time.

4 Likes

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 2:43am On Feb 17, 2013
ifeness:

Look, do yourself a favor and toss your bible aside and pick a few science books to read instead. The genesis story is nothing but a fairy tale invented to answer the needs of the mass of uneducated people around at the time.

I've been reading science books for going on 15 yrs. The question is have YOU been reading them? What is new that you want to talk about?

and why is it taking codeaddict 20 yrs to provide us this "carefully and well-explained scientific process"?

4 Likes

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by chukkynwob(m): 2:45am On Feb 17, 2013
davidylan:

Laws of thermodynamics which is acutally a scientific law that has never faltered asks a lot of questions about the origin of life theories outside intelligent creation,which atheists either avoid or present anyother belief, just that there MUST BE NO GOD
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 2:46am On Feb 17, 2013
davidylan:

I've been reading science books for going on 15 yrs. What is new that you want to talk about?

Are you aware that dinosaurs co existed with humans millions of years ago. Their foot prints have been discovered as a valid proof . You can look up if you wish. That alone debunks your claim that god created the universe in 7 days.

1 Like

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by chukkynwob(m): 2:48am On Feb 17, 2013
ifeness:

Are you aware that dinosaurs co existed with humans millions of years ago. Their foot prints have been discovered as a valid proof . You can look up if you wish. That alone debunks your claim that god created the universe in 7 days.

But then what will it do to the evolutionary timeline? Please stop assuming christians are uneducated

3 Likes

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 2:48am On Feb 17, 2013
ifeness:

and you know they co-existed with humans how?

How does the existence of dinosaurs debunk the genesis creation story?

Do you mind providing us this SCIENTIFIC explanation rather than circling the wagon with irrelevant nonsense?

10 Likes

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by codeaddict(m): 2:48am On Feb 17, 2013
davidylan:

Wow, I actually thought you could reason. Obviously I was very wrong. You believe something must have always existed for the Big B'a'n'g theory to be valid, but there's no need for that when considering the biblical story of creation. God could exist on his own without having a creator. He doesn't need to go through the obvious mental stress you're facing about proving the existence of his creator?

1 Like

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 2:50am On Feb 17, 2013
codeaddict:
Wow, I actually thought you could reason. Obviously I was very wrong. You believe something must have always existed for the Big B'a'n'g theory to be valid, but there's no need for that when considering the biblical story of creation. God could exist on his own without having a creator. He doesn't need to go through the obvious mental stress you're facing about proving the existence of his creator?

Again waah waah... predictable. Rather than provide the "carefully and well-explained scientific process" he told us existed, he just pivots back to the tired genesis bashing. What caused the big b.ang or is it your belief that it just happened by magic out of nothing?

5 Likes

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 2:51am On Feb 17, 2013
chukkynwob:

Laws of thermodynamics which is acutally a scientific law that has never faltered asks a lot of questions about the origin of life theories outside intelligent creation,which atheists either avoid or present anyother belief, just that there MUST BE NO GOD

The bible is basically for explaining stuffs to uneducated people, just like teaching kids with drawings and cartoon which they later outgrow. You can never be a scientist and believe in a God no way! Even the pope resigned after picking up interest in science.

2 Likes

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 2:52am On Feb 17, 2013
ifeness:

The bible is basically for explaining stuffs to uneducated people, just like teaching kids with drawings and cartoon which they later outgrow. You can never be a scientist and believe in a God no way! Even the pope resigned after picking up interest in science.

Oh dear... just WHEN are you going to explain this scientific process to us?

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (79) (Reply)

The Train: Movie On Mike Bamiloye's True Story / Names Of God And Their Meanings / Joshua, Mike Bamiloye's Son Who Is A Photoshop Guru (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.