Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,887 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:39 PM

The Serpent Spirit (a Must Read) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Serpent Spirit (a Must Read) (1077 Views)

My Encounter With Mami-wata Spirit / The Wisdom Of The Serpent. - Full Note. / The Wisdom Of The Serpent. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Serpent Spirit (a Must Read) by fankasibe: 4:35pm On Feb 17, 2013
I did some world building for this story, I put a lot of effort into it so I want anyone to let me know if it doesn't go down properly. Also with the names, if they feel familiar and you can identify them with a particular ethnic group, they are most likely from there.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry, there are going to be lots of notes on this one! This is the chapter in which I introduce some of my characters and my villain. As I am yet to type out all my edits but do not wish to disappoint those who have been waiting for the story, here is a teaser.

*I changed the heroine's name
Nubak, date unknown, year unknown, harvest season.

Chamzo's mind was plagued with thoughts but she was convinced she had made the right decision as she crossed over the threshold and into the medicine shop. The sharp pungent smell of the various herbs, roots and barks that were held on strings dangling from the ceiling completely engulfed the small space. It was an odour Chamzo was used to, a small smile spread across her face as she neared the wooden counter at the far corner opposite the entrance. The woman behind the stretch of wood was wrinkled and bent with age but her hands moved quickly as she packed a couple dried leaves and herbs in bundles for tea. Olkani's eyes glistened as she saw Chamzo.

'Good day Ma Olkani.' Chamzo greeted her respectfully, the woman was old enough to be her grandmother

The woman smiled and reached out to clasp Chamzo's hands. 'My dear child, it has been a while.'

Olkani's quick eyes moved across Chamzo's face searching, they easily caught the darkened bruise the grew on the side of her face covering a large portion of Chamzo's left cheek. Under the heat of Olkani's stare Chamzo brought a hand to her face.

'I'm fine Ma.' Chamzo tried to explain too quickly. It was good that Olkani had noticed regardless, that was in part the reason Chamzo had decided to pay her a visit that day.

Olkani pursed her lips obviously displeased. 'Adayoh, that bastard.' she said referring to Chamzo's paternal uncle, the distant relative who was now Chamzo's adopted father. 'I'll have to pay a visit to him. No? Fine, I won't but I don't understand why you're still in his house.'

'About that...' Chamzo said wishing her determination showed in her voice. The truth was that she had tried to leave the house, to run away once before, that didn't end well but Chamzo couldn't say it out loud for fear of jinxing her current attempt. Perhaps Olkani knew that already.

'I came here to collect some medicine. I'm sure you'll have something for this.' Chamzo said referring to her bruise.

'You need more than just medicine Chamzo.' Olkani smiled benevolently. 'Some tea would do you well. I'll close the shop so we can talk.'

Olkani had disappeared before Chamzo had the chance to react however that did not disturb her. As thing were, everything was going along perfectly. Olkani reappeared seemingly from the stone wall and moved swiftly barring the wooden door to her shop and closing the windows that opened to the crowd in the marketplace outside. Chamzo sighed and followed Olkani through to the back of the shop where a staircase led to the second floor. The upper level served as a housing quarters for Olkani and her family with a room for entertaining guests. This was not the first time Olkani had offered Chamzo tea when she noticed her bruises, it was partly due to Olkani's kindness that Chamzo referred to the older woman as her mother. Chamzo hoped that Olkani's kindness would not disappoint her or turn her away this time.

'Wait here.' Olkani instructed when they reached the top of the flight. She walked ahead to a room on the far end of the cool darkened hallway and knocked on a door twice in sharp succession. Olkani then pressed her ear to the door and listened for a minute before nodding in satisfaction.

Chamzo found her actions strange but Olkani's actions barely registered in her consciousness for she carried a heavy weight within her. Olkani lived with her grandson and his family, perhaps she was trying to communicate with him. Chamzo busied herself, removing her dusty sandals and washing her feet in a washbasin that laid nearby, kept for that purpose. She used water from a clay pot that rested beside a shut door.

'Come along now.' Olkani said breaking Chamzo's thoughts. Chamzo followed her till they stood before a room sparsely decorated with the floor entirely covered with one large imported carpet and several feather stuffed cushions littered over it.

Chamzo comfortably stepped into the lounge, her feet sunk into the soft carpet and she moved to the farthest corner of the room to sit beside an open window that let in a delicate breeze and the cacophony of the market outside.

'That's it,' Olkani's encouraging voice came from the open door. 'Just sit down and relax while I make the tea.'

Chamzo didn't need Olkani's instructions. She let her piece of cloth she had used to cover her face slide off her head and cast her dark gaze to the stone houses and expansive mansions in a distance. Olkani had always been more of a mother to her than her adoptive one, Olkani was more that a stranger who showered Chamzo with kindness from time to time. If she wished Olkani would hear and help her now hard enough perhaps she would not be disappointed, Chamzo thought. Chamzo found herself aching for the woman who had birthed her. The woman who had defied her parents and her clan to marry the man she loved. Then again when Chamzo looked at her genealogy which she knew in her heart and constantly sang, women like her mother were numerous. The blood of those women coursed through Chamzo and yet she had never possessed any of their courage or boldness. At least she had thought she didn't until the preceding night. A shudder ran through her frame as she lifted the cloth that covered her raw hands. Olkani had not noticed them. Chamzo had previously wondered where the women in her maternal lineage had drawn their strength from and if the source had dried up. Now that she had felt a bit of the power, she was frightened not only for her life but for those around her. Chamzo was convinced that someone older and wiser, like Olkani, would be able to provide a guiding hand since her birth mother had died years ago.

Shaking her head, Chamzo tried to think of more happy subjects but they failed her. Had her birth mother known the kind of difficulties her children would face for her and her husband's headstrong actions? Then again, no one every predicted death. Chamzo moved to lean against the stone wall, she would never blame her misfortunes on her parents. It was impossible when all she remembered about them was love and happiness, the only period of joy in her life. Chamzo's hair had been set in two large cornrows, she had neither the time or the resources to afford a more intricate style most of the women wore. It was for the best as she constantly played with her hair when deep in thought.

Chamzo was taken aback when from the corner of her eyes she saw a lone shadow move along the corridor. Chamzo tensed as she knew instantly that the shadow did not belong to Olkani. It was a strange one that much she knew without question. Had she imagined it? Or was the imagined possibility that people were out for her head finally becoming a reality? Part of Chamzo felt foolish and unsure that she could tell so much from a passing shadow but it never hurt to be too careful especially considering her current circumstances. But she was sure, Olkani's grandson was board and thick as a tree. The shadow she had glimpsed was lean and sleek, like an assassin.
(......... chai!!!.....My laptop battery is down..... i will upload very soon)

2 Likes

Re: The Serpent Spirit (a Must Read) by fankasibe: 3:16pm On Mar 09, 2013
no body commented on the write-up......i will cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
any way is a way.....
I will happily give u d rest... grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Serpent Spirit (a Must Read) by fankasibe: 3:17pm On Mar 09, 2013

'Is there anyone there?' she asked out loud uncaring the wisdom of speaking out loud. She had power, the bruises on her face and the wounds on her hand told her that much.

The silence that answered her question ensured Chamzo's embarrassment. She was flighty, paranoid like a criminal. A few moments passed before she heard Olkani's voice reassuring her that she was coming and no one was in the house but them two. Still uncertain Chamzo rose steadily and moved towards the open door to look in search of the person that shadow belonged to. The only person she saw was Olkani waddling towards her comfortably balancing a heavy tray laden with a jug of sweetly spiced tea and a platter with sweets of coconut, sugar and cardamom. Chamzo rushed forward to collect the tray from Olkani.

Back within the confines of the guest entertainment room, both women settled on the carpet supported by plump cushions. Chamzo watched Olkani serve the steaming tea in small cups of bronze, her stomach rumbled in hunger as the aroma of the sweets wafted to her nose. How long could she survive her escape?
Re: The Serpent Spirit (a Must Read) by luvmijeje(f): 4:06pm On Mar 09, 2013
I have notice this cliche 'My laptop battery is down coz NEPA has taken their power' is it another way of saying let's take a commercial break?Op what time era is ur story set?
So far am seeing potential in ur story but u re nt developing it before ur laptop battery get down.
Re: The Serpent Spirit (a Must Read) by fankasibe: 4:40pm On Mar 09, 2013
luvmijeje: I have notice this cliche 'My laptop battery is down coz NEPA has taken their power' is it another way of saying let's take a commercial break?Op what time era is ur story set?
So far am seeing potential in ur story but u re nt developing it before ur laptop battery get down.
u got me there......this were my final year projects in unilorin. Since i'm nw done wif school for nw i tot of being generous and entertain u guyz.
I don't care if anyone comments or not......my soul aim is just to keep u guyz entertained. I love u all.
@lovemijeje.....e be like sey u be mòdiràto for here abi?.....job well done.

(1) (Reply)

Charmed & Enchanted... / Great Books Series: Treasure Island / ***wedding Night***

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.