Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,254 members, 7,807,872 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:10 PM

What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? (17329 Views)

Do You Stand Up as a first timer in a new Church? / How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Where Do You Stand With Illuminati Theories? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Ayomivic(m): 6:47pm On Feb 17, 2013
Christians believed in life after death, that is the reason we are struggling to make heaven.Christians are travellers in this world,we have a place in focus. that place is our gain of being christian.

You as an atheist what do you stand to gain for being an atheist ?

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Areaboy2(m): 7:45pm On Feb 17, 2013
well, when you need a reward to believe in what you do? It tells a lot about you.

need I say more? undecided

11 Likes

Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by poopli: 9:04pm On Feb 17, 2013
We believe in living a fulfilled life during this one single existence. We believe in total freedom and e believe that death is the end of us as an individual.

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by tobechi20(m): 9:22pm On Feb 17, 2013
It doesnt matter what you believe
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 12:09am On Feb 18, 2013
'The gullibility of the brain of an average nigerian church goer' why must it be about gaining before you choose your stand??
that's why pastors are making millions weekly out of your ignorance and gullible minds.
they just quote few verses of the same bible you have at home, and you shout Ameeeen!!! I claim it!! etc. then you give them 10% of your earning, you sing, dance and go home hungry.
in return, all you stand to gain is promises of life after death, etc.

....I sorry for Africa - Femi Anikulapo Kuti

28 Likes

Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 9:29am On Feb 18, 2013
Not sure if troll or serious..

Are you 100% sure there's something after death?

1 Like

Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Ayomivic(m): 5:27pm On Feb 18, 2013
musKeeto: Not sure if troll or serious..

Are you 100% sure there's something after death?

If there is nothing after death, i have nothing to loose.
Are you 100% sure there is nothing after death?
What if there is something after death?

26 Likes

Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Feb 18, 2013
If there's nothing after death, just like there was nothing before birth, then you have nothing to lose. But you'd have lost a lot while living : the prayers, fasting, religious activities, tithes etc...

The atheist/agnostics loses nothing both ways, IMO. Most atheists hold themselves responsible for their actions and seek to enjoy the experience of this one life.

On the other hand, if I die and meet the Christian God (i'd leave out other Gods at the moment in order not to derail this thread), I'd be shocked... And I would ask him a lot questions before he flips my sorry a55 to hell...

So what exactly is there to lose? The thought of singing all eternity long in heaven isn't an appealing one. God better get an ipod...

18 Likes

Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Ayomivic(m): 5:43pm On Feb 18, 2013
991: 'The gullibility of the brain of an average nigerian church goer' why must it be about gaining before you choose your stand??
that's why pastors are making millions weekly out of your ignorance and gullible minds.
they just quote few verses of the same bible you have at home, and you shout Ameeeen!!! I claim it!! etc. then you give them 10% of your earning, you sing, dance and go home hungry.

You haven't answer my question. If it's not by gainning one should choose his stand by what did you choose your stand as an atheist. That was the question i asked.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Feb 18, 2013
Ayomivic: Christians believed in life after death, that is the reason we are struggling to make heaven.Christians are travellers in this world,we have a place in focus. that place is our gain of being christian.

Good evening Ayo,

Are you a Christian because of the promise of heaven? Suppose there was no promise, would you have remained a Christian?

4 Likes

Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Feb 18, 2013
Ayomivic:

You haven't answer my question. If it's not by gainning one should choose his stand by what did you choose your stand as an atheist. That was the question i asked.

Religion preaches love, yet thrives on division.

Thou shalt not kill was one of the ten commandments. The same god ordered the genocides of thousands pf foreigners. I couldn't relate this god to the one presented in the NT. I took a look at other religions and came to a conclusion that it doesn't take much to design a god.
- Attribute to it creative powers, it created the universe.
- Go to a lonely quiet place and come back and claim you had a personal experience with it.
- Make up a good story. Like a good ad, ensure that good experiences are portrayed as being direct benefits of worshipping this god. For everything, its either punishment or Satan.

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by plaetton: 6:20pm On Feb 18, 2013
musKeeto: If there's nothing after death, just like there was nothing before birth, then you have nothing to lose. But you'd have lost a lot while living : the prayers, fasting, religious activities, tithes etc...

The atheist/agnostics loses nothing both ways, IMO. Most atheists hold themselves responsible for their actions and seek to enjoy the experience of this one life.

On the other hand, if I die and meet the Christian God (i'd leave out other Gods at the moment in order not to derail this thread), I'd be shocked... And I would ask him a lot questions before he flips my sorry a55 to hell...

So what exactly is there to lose? The thought of singing all eternity long in heaven isn't an appealing one. God better get an ipod...

For christians such as this op , its a lose-lose situation.
He mortgages the only life he knows for an eternity of a life he knows not, but only dreams about, with a god who demands absolute worship 24/7.

If you think a 3 hr church service is tiring and boring, just imagine an eternity of non-stop praise singing and worship to a loving, but wrathful god.

Does this sound like the mother of all mortgage frauds?
Me thinks so. grin

12 Likes

Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 7:01pm On Feb 18, 2013
Ayomivic:

I believe in MYSELF and nothing else, always do the right thing no matter what is written, do the best I can and face the future with pride.

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by neversaynever(m): 8:27pm On Feb 18, 2013
musKeeto: If there's nothing after death, just like there was nothing before birth, then you have nothing to lose. But you'd have lost a lot while living : the prayers, fasting, religious activities, tithes etc...

Your obsession seems to be with the Christian God, i thought atheism is supposed to be against all religion. Why so much persistence on Christianity?

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by manmustwac(m): 8:50pm On Feb 18, 2013
Ayomivic: Christians believed in life after death, that is the reason we are struggling to make heaven.Christians are travellers in this world,we have a place in focus. that place is our gain of being christian.

Nothing, to me personally its just to do with reality
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by olempe(m): 9:33pm On Feb 18, 2013
Area_boy: well, when you need a reward to believe in what you do? It tells a lot about you.

need I say more? undecided

Wrong answer!
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by OmoAlata(f): 9:38pm On Feb 18, 2013
plaetton:

If you think a 3 hr church service is tiring and boring, just imagine an eternity of non-stop praise singing and worship

Sounds divine
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by yungdamaz(m): 9:40pm On Feb 18, 2013
cant believe am hearing such words frm Gods creatures....There is a way dat seemeth right 2 every man but d end thereof is destructn,..,beta repent while Gods grace stil abound or rot in hell with satan nd ur nonsesical beliefs@atheists

6 Likes

Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Sagamite(m): 9:41pm On Feb 18, 2013
What do they have to gain?

Not living a deluded life and enjoying their lives as the deem fit till they die.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by RedLight1: 9:42pm On Feb 18, 2013

choiiiii .... That's a classic cheesy grin
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Sagamite(m): 9:45pm On Feb 18, 2013
Ayomivic:

You would have lost a significant proportion of your single existence.

Worse still, as a Xtian, very likely a significant sum of your income would also go for the miliki of your pastor.

Ayomivic:

As sure as you are that there is some psychotic God waiting to apply his devious revenge for not being worshipped.

Ayomivic:

There will be nothing.

Stop believing in medieval stories. You are more likely to find Mordor and the Orks after death.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nonybb: 9:46pm On Feb 18, 2013
991: 'The gullibility of the brain of an average nigerian church goer' why must it be about gaining before you choose your stand??

Am sorry for u too, and do u knw where fela is now?

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nonybb: 9:48pm On Feb 18, 2013
My responds to an agnostic, which is quite diff frm an atheism or atheist claim. Here it goes: Julius wat u are driving at supersedes u and now believe me i can clearly understands with respect, that u dont knw wat ur going into. And the problem is that u dont research christianity and read ur bible, dats just the problem. Check within urself and see that it is actually the problem. No one confuses God's standard due to men frivolities, religion and indoctrination. God is above that. And for u trying to knw whether theres a connection with ur so called jewish tribal deity and the supernatural being, i would actually have to ask u if the supernatural being wasnt actually even created? or does it fall frm the sky? your postulates and submission hinders on the same admission that something somehow is comparable to God. If u actually read the bible u will knw that God came in the image of man which u suggest to be jewish tribal deity, which is jesus, whom u dont knw which i knw. So ur non understanding of christianity had actually made u to think that wat had came in the flesh of man to expiate and propitiate for the sins of the whole world is a mere jewish being but not a supreme being, which the event of the world beyond had proven to be mighty, sinless, infalliable and supreme. He is jesus, The son of God. U dont knw Him, i knw Him. But u refuse to admit His supreme nature thereby diligating Him to a mere mortal man in the name of a jewish tribal diety?

4 Likes

Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Sagamite(m): 9:49pm On Feb 18, 2013
musKeeto:

He has one.

Steve Jobs offered him one in exchange for dropping the charges that would send him to hell fire.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Sagamite(m): 9:50pm On Feb 18, 2013
plaetton:

For christians such as this op , its a lose-lose situation.
He mortgages the only life he knows for an eternity of a life he knows not, but only dreams about, with a god who demands absolute worship 24/7.

If you think a 3 hr church service is tiring and boring, just imagine an eternity of non-stop praise singing and worship to a loving, but wrathful god.

Does this sound like the mother of all mortgage frauds?
Me thinks so. grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I am going to crack a rib. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 9:52pm On Feb 18, 2013
Someone just stole my charger and my second phone could it be that The God i serve waz testing me..i dont know again oh
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Feb 18, 2013
Ayomivic:

After death you will get back to your senses. Right now,you are nothing but a brainwashed christian.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Feb 18, 2013
Rhetorical question
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by RedLight1: 9:54pm On Feb 18, 2013
yung da maz: cant believe am hearing such words frm Gods creatures....There is a way dat seemeth right 2 every man but d end thereof is destructn,..,beta repent while Gods grace stil abound or rot in hell with satan nd ur nonsesical beliefs@atheists
lol ... I actually like christains like u ... U are quick to judge where atheists are going after they died when u are not the god that will judge ...the funniest u as a person don't even know where u are going when u die ..... Atheist will go to hell while the judge like u will be the gateman at hell
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Sagamite(m): 9:54pm On Feb 18, 2013
never_say_never:

Your obsession seems to be with the Christian God, i thought atheism is supposed to be against all religion. Why so much persistence on Christianity?

They are the ones tha never fcking learn to shut the fck up.

They always find the need to tell you that they are the solution to all your problems without any sensible proof, that they are on some delusional right path fed to them through medieval fables, something is wrong with any other path and you face some retribution from their psychotic God.

Christians, SHUT THE FCK UP and practice your religion quietly and stop disturbing others.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by mkpologwu(m): 9:55pm On Feb 18, 2013
Me as an atheist stands to gain atheism

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Are All Wordly Songs WrongTo Listen To? / ENDSARS Protest: "Don't Use Force" - Archbishop Alfred Martins Urges Government / A Four Year Old Boy Preaching In Synagogue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.