Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,953 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:50 PM

Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? (1696 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu Should Be JAILED. (and Yes I Am A Proud Igbo) / Fashola Made Me A Proud Grandfather- Tinubu / Asagba Of Asaba: I Am A Proud Igbo Son (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? by shalomigbogal: 12:35pm On Feb 18, 2013
I used to be one of the most patriotic Igbo girls ever, and I used to always 'rep' being Igbo, taught all my white friends about Igbo etc. Despite my parents not teaching me Igbo, and the culture etc - I was willing to learn. However, I am 18 now and I feel like my expecatations have been shattered. I went to Nigeria last summer, and it was a complete mess. Sure, there are a few great parts - but the majority, especially Igbo lands have HORRIFIC roads which can lead to awful car accidents, it is dirty, smelly, very poor living conditions it is just awful. It made me stop taking my life in the UK for granted. Nigeria really is a complete mess and I really do feel sorry for the majoirty of people who live there as the majoirty of people are really struggling. What type of rubbish is it that a country which produces oil, can not even have electricity 24/7? It is terrible.

Nigeria had so much potential, I used to want to work in politics there etc but to be honest, I really have just given up on that country. The only thing that ties me there now is my family, and I love the african dress cheesy Apart from that, nothing... its really sad..

SO I ask, are you a proud igbo / nigerian? I used to be, but I am not really anymore.. there isn't really anything to be proud of. I am proud of myself as an individual, not of the country. Even things like family etc - my family is all split and divided, and I come from a really messy family - so I only have myself to thank for being a good person...

1 Like

Re: Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? by MrGlobe(m): 12:42pm On Feb 18, 2013
Nice try alh harem cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Feb 18, 2013
angry angryShame on you b'itch! cursed be the day you step your foot on Igbo Land
Re: Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? by shalomigbogal: 12:53pm On Feb 18, 2013
Why is Nigeria so bad?
There are some parts of Nigeria that are really rich and beautiful and clean, great standard of living - even better than western parts of the world.
But the majority of it is a **** hole.

Just being honest.
Why is it like this, when it has so much potential?
And will the situation ever change?

---------------

see, that is the problem with nigerians and why the country isnt improving.. instead of u to accept the fact that nigeria is a state, you just want to ignore it and insult others and carry on suffering. na wa.
Re: Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? by Ngwakwe: 1:05pm On Feb 18, 2013
shalomigbogal: SO I ask, are you a proud igbo / nigerian? I used to be, but I am not really anymore.. there isn't really anything to be proud of. I am proud of myself as an individual, not of the country.

I am ashamed of you and will not want to know or associate with somebody who gives up on her people because of arrogance.

Umu Adaigbo adighi echefu Obodo ha si puta. Alaigbo na omenala anyi bu ihe anyi ji eme onu na uwa n'ile.

Nwa-ada, gwa nna gi k'obia nye aka mee Alaigbo ihe ahu ichoro ka oburu.
Re: Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? by shalomigbogal: 1:12pm On Feb 18, 2013
how is it arrogance?
can u imagine... i have a cousin who is born and brought up in nigeria, instead of him wanting to help nigeria - he wants to become a politican, so that he can STEAL MONEY.

NIGERIA is a FAILED COUNTRY
blind patriosim is NOT CLEVER

I was proud of Nigeria, but when I saw the reality of Nigeria... there really isnt much to be proud of.

1 Like

Re: Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? by Noiseless2: 1:25pm On Feb 18, 2013
More lika what a full blooded NMGBATICO would come up with

@OP why not bear your real name: SALAM-NMGBATICOGAL or BOKO HARAM_B!TCH? Nice try.

Date of regestered 18/02/2013 alhj_boko_harem try something else.

1 Like

Re: Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? by shalomigbogal: 1:27pm On Feb 18, 2013
wow you nigerians really are stupid.

YOUR COUNTRY IS SHIT, instead of you facing up to this fact and working together to improve you are just talking rubbish - which is why Nigeria is and remains a failed country. stupid people = stupid country. thank god i was born in the uk.
Re: Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? by Ngwakwe: 1:31pm On Feb 18, 2013
Thank God we lost you before you sold us

shalomigbogal: how is it arrogance?
can u imagine... i have a cousin who is born and brought up in nigeria, instead of him wanting to help nigeria - he wants to become a politican, so that he can STEAL MONEY.

NIGERIA is a FAILED COUNTRY
blind patriosim is NOT CLEVER

I was proud of Nigeria, but when I saw the reality of Nigeria... there really isnt much to be proud of.
Re: Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? by pazienza(m): 1:31pm On Feb 18, 2013
Alj harem at work,haha! The guy is like a yeast cell,always budding out new monikers.
Re: Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? by Fatdon(m): 1:33pm On Feb 18, 2013
Hit Like If YOU Are A Proud Igbo.

12 Likes

Re: Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? by shalomigbogal: 1:37pm On Feb 18, 2013
so you are prud of the state of nigeria, and think its ok
Re: Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? by Ngwakwe: 2:23pm On Feb 18, 2013
Just registered, then unleash your frustration on your "acclaimed" Nigeria tribe. A lost European wanna be learner.

shalomigbogal: so you are prud of the state of nigeria, and think its ok
Re: Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? by shalomigbogal: 2:33pm On Feb 18, 2013
CHAI!
How can I be a european wannabe?
europe has done more for me than nigeria ever will
there ar VERY FEW opportunities in Nigeria
are you blind to this fact
Re: Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? by dasparrow: 3:09pm On Feb 18, 2013
shalomigbogal: I used to be one of the most patriotic Igbo girls ever, and I used to always 'rep' being Igbo, taught all my white friends about Igbo etc. Despite my parents not teaching me Igbo, and the culture etc - I was willing to learn. However, I am 18 now and I feel like my expecatations have been shattered. I went to Nigeria last summer, and it was a complete mess. Sure, there are a few great parts - but the majority, especially Igbo lands have HORRIFIC roads which can lead to awful car accidents, it is dirty, smelly, very poor living conditions it is just awful. It made me stop taking my life in the UK for granted. Nigeria really is a complete mess and I really do feel sorry for the majoirty of people who live there as the majoirty of people are really struggling. What type of rubbish is it that a country which produces oil, can not even have electricity 24/7? It is terrible.

Nigeria had so much potential, I used to want to work in politics there etc but to be honest, I really have just given up on that country. The only thing that ties me there now is my family, and I love the african dress cheesy Apart from that, nothing... its really sad..

SO I ask, are you a proud igbo / nigerian? I used to be, but I am not really anymore.. there isn't really anything to be proud of. I am proud of myself as an individual, not of the country. Even things like family etc - my family is all split and divided, and I come from a really messy family - so I only have myself to thank for being a good person...

I am a Nigerian who was born in western Europe and have spent a better part of my life between Europe and the USA even though my developing years were spent in Nigeria. I went to Nigeria not too long ago after many years away and I can tell you that I am equally disappointed. I don't know how most Nigerians are doing it living there. Cities like Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt are overpopulated. Most places are filthy. Even Abuja - the capital of Nigeria - that used to be a very clean city back in the day when I was growing up there has become so crowded and filthy. The nice houses/apartments that were built back in the mid 80s and early and mid 90s are all looking green, rotten and depleted now. Lack of maintenance culture I would say.

The electricity issue has gotten worse from what it used to be back in the day when I was growing up in Nigeria. Certain parts of Abuja go a whole week now without electricity based on what I personally experienced. The heat is unbearable and there is no electricity to turn on the fan or air conditioner. No electricity to watch television. One has to depend heavily on generators for some temporary electricity and generators gulp fuel like crazy. In addition, there is a lot of traffic making commute time longer than usual. What I find even worse is the non nonchalant attitude of the average Nigerian. All they care about is how to get married and breed many babies that will join them in their misery. They don't care about what quality of life their kids will have. All they care about is to keep producing knowing fully well that Nigeria has no REAL future for their offspring. Many school age male teenagers and young adults are busy working as bus conductors. Others are hawking goods and jumping in between vehicles for peanuts all the while risking their lives.

Nigerian drivers drive like they are on drugs. No sense of obeying traffic rules at all. No sense of right of way, no turning on of traffic signal before switching lanes, and driving in the opposite direction towards oncoming traffic. They tail gate and over take each other with reckless abandonment.

Nigerian society is also very bigoted and misogynist. In fact, it is a horrible place to be if you are a female. I would not want any of my female family members living there. I cannot tell you how many times I have taken public transportation and over heard a Nigerian male openly make chauvinist generalized statements about women. Makes you wonder whether it was a male that carried such men 9 months in the womb. Most of the women are no better either because they are suppose to raise their kids - both male and female - properly and train them to have respect for all people but they are more concerned about popping babies out like rabbit which they later do not have the strength or time to adequately take care of.

Nigeria is indeed a mess. After what I saw and experienced, it became clear that I will not be able to live in Nigeria again. I also would not want my kids growing up in that hostile, dirty environment where there is no peace and serenity due to blaring generators, loud speakers from churches and mosques and drivers constantly honking thereby constituting severe noise pollution that can leave one mentally, physically and emotionally drained. The only thing I like about Nigeria is the food - Nigerian delicacies if you will - and the music and some of the Nigerian attires. Other than that, I don't see a future for myself and family in that country.

Lastly, ignore those that hurl insults at you. Just keep telling it as it is. Most Nigerians love living in denial. They don't want to face reality. At the end of the day, they and their kids will be the ones to suffer in that hell hole of an entity that they and their leaders have created for themselves. Peace!

2 Likes

Re: Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Feb 18, 2013
what has Nigeria been in mess got to do with being a proud igbo!

mtcheeew.....
Re: Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? by shalomigbogal: 3:19pm On Feb 18, 2013
dasparrow:

I am a Nigerian who was born in western Europe and have spent a better part of my life between Europe and the USA even though my developing years were spent in Nigeria. I went to Nigeria not too long ago after many years away and I can tell you that I am equally disappointed. I don't know how most Nigerians are doing it living there. Cities like Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt are overpopulated. Most places are filthy. Even Abuja - the capital of Nigeria - that used to be a very clean city back in the day when I was growing up there has become so crowded and filthy. The nice houses/apartments that were built back in the mid 80s and early and mid 90s are all looking green, rotten and depleted now. Lack of maintenance culture I would say.

The electricity issue has gotten worse from what it used to be back in the day when I was growing up in Nigeria. Certain parts of Abuja go a whole week now without electricity based on what I personally experienced. The heat is unbearable and there is no electricity to turn on the fan or air conditioner. No electricity to watch television. One has to depend heavily on generators for some temporary electricity and generators gulp fuel like crazy. In addition, there is a lot of traffic making commute time longer than usual. What I find even worse is the non nonchalant attitude of the average Nigerian. All they care about is how to get married and breed many babies that will join them in their misery. They don't care about what quality of life their kids will have. All they care about is to keep producing knowing fully well that Nigeria has no REAL future for their offspring. Many school age male teenagers and young adults are busy working as bus conductors. Others are hawking goods and jumping in between vehicles for peanuts all the while risking their lives.

Nigerian drivers drive like they are on drugs. No sense of obeying traffic rules at all. No sense of right of way, no turning on of traffic signal before switching lanes, and driving in the opposite direction towards oncoming traffic. They tail gate and over take each other with reckless abandonment.

Nigerian society is also very bigoted and misogynist. In fact, it is a horrible place to be if you are a female. I would not want any of my female family members living there. I cannot tell you how many times I have taken public transportation and over heard a Nigerian male openly make chauvinist generalized statements about women. Makes you wonder whether it was a male that carried such men 9 months in the womb. Most of the women are no better either because they are suppose to raise their kids - both male and female - properly and train them to have respect for all people but they are more concerned about popping babies out like rabbit which they later do not have the strength or time to adequately take care of.

Nigeria is indeed a mess. After what I saw and experienced, it became clear that I will not be able to live in Nigeria again. I also would not want my kids growing up in that hostile, dirty environment where there is no peace and serenity due to blaring generators, loud speakers from churches and mosques and drivers constantly honking thereby constituting severe noise pollution that can leave one mentally, physically and emotionally drained. The only thing I like about Nigeria is the food - Nigerian delicacies if you will - and the music and some of the Nigerian attires. Other than that, I don't see a future for myself and family in that country.

Lastly, ignore those that hurl insults at you. Just keep telling it as it is. Most Nigerians love living in denial. They don't want to face reality. At the end of the day, they and their kids will be the ones to suffer in that hell hole of an entity that they and their leaders have created for themselves. Peace!

Thank you, you have summed it up perfectly.
And I will ignore, instead of them to face up to the fact - they just want to live in self denial and keep suffering.
Thank you for your points.
Re: Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? by Ngwakwe: 3:47pm On Feb 18, 2013
Can you and dasparrow tell your parents to come and lead the civil right movement that will eventually turn to revolution for the change you are advocating for?

You want the poor Nigerians to face the guns for you whilst hiding your families in Europe.

Remember, you are not better than any other Nigerian because you never operate a charity organization in this country nor are you feeding anybody.

By the way, most Igbo men have wired and electrified their clans/villages and connected them to 250,000Kw Generator when PCHN power supply goes off.

shalomigbogal:

Thank you, you have summed it up perfectly.
And I will ignore, instead of them to face up to the fact - they just want to live in self denial and keep suffering.
Thank you for your points.
Re: Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? by Igwe9(m): 4:01pm On Feb 18, 2013
@OP
You no get sense!
Re: Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? by shalomigbogal: 5:08pm On Feb 18, 2013
exactly how dont i have sense?
Re: Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? by FSU: 5:19pm On Feb 18, 2013
op IS A Fake Igbo girl.
Re: Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? by Dede1(m): 10:59pm On Feb 18, 2013
@OP

I am proud Igbo man but Nigerian. I guess what you witnessed in Igbo land is more than forty years of federal government neglect of Igbo land coupled with effects of civil war. Things would have been different if Igbo land had been allowed the status of independent nation.
Re: Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? by Dede1(m): 11:07pm On Feb 18, 2013
dasparrow:

You are simply misguided. Every society has its natural defect and Nigerian society is not exception. As for your statement about chauvinistic statements by men, you could not be more wrong. In my experience, I have never seen a worse society with chauvinistic statements thrown around like water than USA’s society. The disparaging of women is incorporated into music.
Re: Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? by Nobody: 6:17am On Feb 19, 2013
[size=13pt]I went to Igboland a few years back for Christmas and it was the best Christmas I ever had. Granted, the basic amenities I'm used to weren't always present, but there was something about having my entire family around and the resilience of people who have faced what seems like eternal hardship. If Igbos and other Nigerians can live in such conditions and still have reasons to smile, then how can you go home for a short period of time and come out hating it? The UK certainly isn't a utopia.

I'll always be a proud Igbo and Nigerian regardless. Just as I can't change the color of my skin, I cannot change from where I come. Igbos and Nigerians should rally together and turn negative energy to positive energy, acknowledge the current situation for what it is, and come up with collective efforts to make our regions and nation better than what it is now.[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? by Emyogalanya: 7:09am On Feb 19, 2013
Yes very proud
Re: Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? by cocoduck: 7:17am On Feb 19, 2013
Proud Igbo but not proud Nigerian. Everything about Nigeria is a failure because they using all their energy to hold the igbos down instead of using the energy and resources to develop the nation.
Re: Are You A Proud Igbo / Nigerian? by Gbawe: 8:33am On Feb 19, 2013
@Op.

Your situation is not unique at all and whatever you meet on the ground should not make you negatively revise the pride you have for your ethnic group and Nation. Granted you can feel very disappointment but you must channel this in the right way or disown Nigeria completely and fully embrace the UK as your nation.

We have all been in your shoes. You are an adult now. The first thing to do is to calm down and ask yourself why things are the way they are. If you really love Nigeria, are willing to stay the course and perceive yourself to be part of change, rather than a bystander making demands on others, then you will make the obvious connection to note what has led to the underdevelopment you see and the reason some of us ended up here on Nairaland and in the politics sections specifically.

If you want to have answers for the underdevelopment you saw, begin by looking into how people are led and what your own part is/should be in the overall equation. For example, you can ponder whether your role is to be the leader who may bring the change you desire or you may prefer to get enlightened and be part of the process to produce the leaders who will change things for the better. You may even simply want to get involved online engaging other Nigerians to see if you can better your own understanding of the problem and contribute towards efforts to make Nigerians understand that they must demand more from leaders.

Smugness, inaction and the disengagement of yourself from the search for solutions should not be an option.

(1) (Reply)

Mobi Oparaku, Brutalized By Some Policemen / Prof. Wole Soyinka Deserves To Be In NL Hall Of Shame 2013 / Army surrounds Boko Haram Leader Shekau in Borno Hills

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.