Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,853 members, 7,802,731 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:12 PM

I Am A Bit Disillusioned. Help Please. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Am A Bit Disillusioned. Help Please. (893 Views)

I Work With A Dead Man's Certificate: I Need Help..please HELP A Nlder / I Need Help Please. / ************perfect Money And Bit-coin Adder************ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am A Bit Disillusioned. Help Please. by Nobody: 7:56am On Feb 19, 2013
Good morn fellas,
This is gon be a funny post but then I needed to be sure I am not fooling around.
I have been here before. After working for a few months after my nysc i decided to go the masters degree way. My reasons were cos higher institutions were sprouting up and I reasoned sooner than later there will be a shortage of manpower.
Oh by the way i read electrical eng. Graduted with a 2:1 and i am now rounding up my m.eng with a phd admissible grade.
I managed to apply for a non payying internship with the state government here and I have pockets of experiences to show for it.
Here is my dilemna, studying in nigeria is tough especially when you depend on stipends from people.
My dad wants me to go on and apply for the phd after i am through with these, i also love a lecturing job cos it affords me the luxury of concentrating and building my music school which is my dream.
From experience, what is the prospect of getting a job with a phd in view as a lecturer in nigeria ?
And especially in the field of electrical eng.
Is it worth working this hard or should i just go into engineering practice ?
I am 26 years old this year. Sometimes i just get really depressed. I just need to speak to a few guys. Just wanna be sure i am not on a white elephant project.
Sorry that my write up is a lil disjointed but i can't even think straight now.
Re: I Am A Bit Disillusioned. Help Please. by globechamp: 6:34am On Feb 20, 2013
I feel your dilemma.

Firstly, PRAY. Let God direct your footsteps.

Secondly, You have to focus on what you have to do. Life is in phases. You have to depend on people for stipends until you are able to stand on your own feet, whether you like it or not.

Thirdly, dont waste your energy on a PhD that you dont need. Do you really want to build a music school? Do you have the wherewithal to do that? Have you worked out how you need to start earning money to take care of yourself, so that you dont depend on people for too long.

Lastly, nothing is certain. Nobody can assure you a job or not. You just have to trust God and have primary, secondary and tertiary plans (I mean Plan A, Plan B and C).

Theres is no point wasting your time, DO WHAT YOU LOVE TO DO AND WHAT WILL GIVE YOU FULFILLMENT IN LIFE.

3 Likes

Re: I Am A Bit Disillusioned. Help Please. by Nobody: 7:53am On Feb 20, 2013
globechamp: I feel your dilemma.

Firstly, PRAY. Let God direct your footsteps.

Secondly, You have to focus on what you have to do. Life is in phases. You have to depend on people for stipends until you are able to stand on your own feet, whether you like it or not.

Thirdly, dont waste your energy on a PhD that you dont need. Do you really want to build a music school? Do you have the wherewithal to do that? Have you worked out how you need to start earning money to take care of yourself, so that you dont depend on people for too long.

Lastly, nothing is certain. Nobody can assure you a job or not. You just have to trust God and have primary, secondary and tertiary plans (I mean Plan A, Plan B and C).

Theres is no point wasting your time, DO WHAT YOU LOVE TO DO AND WHAT WILL GIVE YOU FULFILLMENT IN LIFE.
Thanks for taking your time to post. The reason I am pursuing further studies is to make me have a leverage and back up. You will agrer that an m.eng at twenty six reeks of a lot of hardwork. I don't wanna put all my eggs in one basket. sometimes it's just soothing sharing your dreams with people and especially those who believe in the thanks.
Re: I Am A Bit Disillusioned. Help Please. by Nobody: 7:59am On Feb 20, 2013
Guitarlife: Thanks for taking your time to post. The reason I am pursuing further studies is to make me have a leverage and back up. You will agrer that an m.eng at twenty six reeks of a lot of hardwork. I don't wanna put all my eggs in one basket. sometimes it's just soothing sharing your dreams with people and especially those who believe in the thanks.
I feel a phd will eventually get me a leverage when I launch out especially now that I can still afford to. sounds I agree.
Re: I Am A Bit Disillusioned. Help Please. by globechamp: 9:40am On Feb 20, 2013
Can I ask you a question?

What do you want to do with your lifetime? If you want to become a lecturer, then PhD is definitely indispensable.
Re: I Am A Bit Disillusioned. Help Please. by Nobody: 10:22am On Feb 20, 2013
globechamp:
Can I ask you a question?

What do you want to do with your lifetime? If you want to become a lecturer, then PhD is definitely indispensable.
Okay, the real thing that makes me happy is music. Playing and teaching people to play musical instruments that is what I wanna retire to but, I need a good leverage to launch out on and I feel lecturing will provide that in terms of funds to build the music school and set up a studio and all.
Also the recognition i will get as a lecturer is also a factor here and lecturing seems to be the only job that will give me time to grow a dream this big. You copy ?
Re: I Am A Bit Disillusioned. Help Please. by Nobody: 7:30pm On Feb 20, 2013
With M.Eng grade that is Ph.D admissible, i believe you can gain employment as an Assistant Lecturer or at least Graduate Assistant. Why not do this first before pursuing a Ph.D
It is very possible especially if you run your programme in a school close to that in which you are employed.

1 Like

Re: I Am A Bit Disillusioned. Help Please. by Nobody: 7:35pm On Feb 20, 2013
careytommy: With M.Eng grade that is Ph.D admissible, i believe you can gain employment as an Assistant Lecturer or at least Graduate Assistant. Why not do this first before pursuing a Ph.D
It is very possible especially if you run your programme in a school close to that in which you are employed.
Thanks but I just hope it were this easy. I will try sha thanks again.

(1) (Reply)

What are the Physiological Effects peculiar to your job? / How To Start Your Agric Business This Year / Immigration Recruitment Extended!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.