Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,064 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:22 AM

How African Businesses Can Get Venture Capital - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How African Businesses Can Get Venture Capital (919 Views)

Top Venture Capital Firms For Raising Funds In Nigeria / List Of Venture Capital And Private Equity Firms Investing In Nigeria / Venture Capital Funding For Dotcom Startups In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How African Businesses Can Get Venture Capital by mambenanje(m): 9:15am On Mar 15, 2008
my last discussion was about "African business making it big, ", and in that post I realised one big problem affecting African IT Projects or businesses.
Venture Capital is the term making Silicon Valley and the Bangalore Area what it is today, so how can Africans also get this Venture Capital funding, or how can they get Angel Investors to help their businesses grow.
I have two proposals:
- You could get a job, or use your skills to get contracts and raise money or do some other business and raise funds then invest into your web project or business or firm
- Maybe a website could be setup where Africans can show their projects and others can comment, review, recommend, sponsor, buy or invest or partner with.
This post https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-68143.0.html has a great deal of info about VC, I saw stuff like whogobuy.com enownow.com https://www.legwork.com.ng afamite and some other concepts, I dont know why Afam didnt post Afamite when I asked for African businesses making it big.
I would like others to suggest so every body can learn how to get funds to setup a nice online business as big as facebook or google right here from Africa, why not wink
Re: How African Businesses Can Get Venture Capital by ThePhantom(m): 1:13pm On Mar 15, 2008
Give me an example of someone you know or have read about that made it big working a regular job without getting money from investors with big pockets. Facebook got funded, Digg got funded, Google got funded (I am talking of millions of $$$, not hundreds not thousands, Millions of $$$). African Businesses need Venture Capitalist and Angel Investors to get them to level of facebook. I agree with you about a site that will show case projects and idea to raise money, but how many Africans will just give money away to someone they don't know.

Question
Who in the forum is willing to invest/donate money to people who show case there projects and Idea?
Re: How African Businesses Can Get Venture Capital by Afam(m): 4:14pm On Mar 15, 2008
www.afamite.com was setup as a pet project and people started talking about buying the website. Of course it has not been sold because of the price.

While I believe that Nigerians can indeed develop applications that could rival even the best in the world today I must state that the market unfortunately still prefers websites owned by foreigners to those owned by Nigerians.

What is facebook doing? Allowing users to signup and create profiles that are searchable.

While I will still redesign www.afamite.com I believe one with a better potential will be www.justnigeriaentertainment.com as it intends to cover anything entertainment and all the codes for these sites were written from scratch which gives one 100% flexibility over what can be achieved.
Re: How African Businesses Can Get Venture Capital by mambenanje(m): 9:06pm On Mar 15, 2008
@Phantom
hey do u know what Phantom means in French
Ok now talking about getting Venture Capital, do you know you can setup a facebook application and get funding from Facebook Fund ??
how many guys have tried ??
if you dont know much about facebook fund just follow this link www.google.com/search?q=facebook+fund
Re: How African Businesses Can Get Venture Capital by ThePhantom(m): 9:11am On Mar 18, 2008
Who cares what it means in French, but I like this one "The Ghost Who Walks" and by the way it is "ThePhantom" not "Phantom"

I know about facebook funds and you said it yourself it is for developing Apps on Facebook platform only.
Re: How African Businesses Can Get Venture Capital by Abod(m): 8:51am On Apr 25, 2008
African business or foreign, business is business and once it can be proved to be profitable and commercially viable, it can attract capital. the key is knowing where to look. I consult for businesses to raise capital viz loans, equity, VC, Angel investors etc. see www.netcenterservices.com

(1) (Reply)

Exclusive: Make Money From Cake Decoration / Nigerdelta / We Need Genuine And Helpful Nigerians Who Reside In China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.