Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,280 members, 7,807,939 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:13 PM

Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa (5386 Views)

5 Things That Turn Christians Into Atheists / Why Is It Easier For Catholic Ladies To Marry Non Catholics And Not Vice Versa / Okay, The Religion Section Will Get A Christian Moderator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by Nobody: 1:46pm On Feb 19, 2013
Top 5 reasons why christians will always lose on Nairaland

5) God is beyond logic/science and therefore theists will always lose in a logical argument.
Remember that the christian God is omnipotent, omniscient, timeless, infinite, created from nothing and eternal. All characteristics which are paradoxical/contradictory from a logical standpoint

4)The bible is a difficult book for everyone (both christians and non-christians) and so arguing for it is a difficult task that normally results in failure
The bible has many interpretations and multiple meanings . It also has problems with science (miracles). It is also an old book written in a different time from our time and so, some history/context has to be known before arguing for it.

3) Christians often contradict each other while the atheists who should be less united are more in harmony on the fundamental issues.
Atheists have no book to follow or some uniting body. However, atheists are more or less very in sync with their criticism of religion. Atheist also tend to be liberal and even the conservative ones are moderate conservatives. Atheists have various opinions and styles but they are very precise and similar on the criticism of religion. Christians on the other hand cant even have the same theology. The disagree on who their messiah is. Is Jesus man or God?

2) The blatant hypocrisy of certain christians and their pastors.
There are christians on nairaland that condemn atheists while they themselves are immoral. There are christians who claim that atheists are evil while saying that they rather give pastors tithes than to feed poor people. Then there are the pastors who are tithe frauds and liars who decieve their members like sheep.

This creates sympathy for the atheists and honest christians are forced to question their religion.

1) Atheists are generally more intelligent than christians when it comes to religious knowledge
This has been proven by studies.
http://www.atheistmemebase.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/425-How-religious-groups-performed-on-the-US-religious-knowledge-survey.jpg
There is also a logical argument for this. Many atheists were formerly religious and left their religion. For one to leave their religion, it takes some bravery and deep thought. On the other hand christians might focus only on their religion since it is their salvation and also only look at their religion from a "christian" or "insider" perspective. An atheist ex-christian would have both the "insider" and "outsider" knowledge!

NB; This also applies to the other Abrahamic faiths.

2 Likes

Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by F00028: 1:52pm On Feb 19, 2013
hey logic!

am definitely following this one wink
Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by Nobody: 1:54pm On Feb 19, 2013
F00028: hey logic!

am definitely following this one wink

Cool but dont decieve yourself, this thread applies to the religion of peace as well smiley
Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by F00028: 3:32pm On Feb 19, 2013
Logicboy03:

Cool but dont decieve yourself, this thread applies to the religion of peace as well smiley

no, logicboy, it doesn't. but that's a whole new topic.
Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by Image123(m): 5:42pm On Feb 19, 2013
Ze life of ze average atheist revolves around Christianity and religion, who iz fooling who?

1 Like

Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by onetrack(m): 5:54pm On Feb 19, 2013
Image123: Ze life of ze average atheist revolves around Christianity and religion, who iz fooling who?

Don't be so quick to say that. I am living in a Muslim country and I spend a bit of time on one of their forums showing them the fallacies related to Islam. What is excellent to see is that I'm no longer the lonely atheist over there. The apostates have been showing themselves recently in larger numbers, like here on nairaland. Now every religious post is subject to challenge on that site cool

1 Like

Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by Nobody: 5:55pm On Feb 19, 2013
Image123: Ze life of ze average atheist revolves around Christianity and religion, who iz fooling who?

Maryam Namazie.

^^^

The name above shows that you're a fool
Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by Nobody: 5:56pm On Feb 19, 2013

Why not address the op? Why not address the fact that more people move from christianity to agnosticism/atheism on Nairaland?
Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by ooman(m): 8:04pm On Feb 19, 2013
@ OP very true
Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by rhymz(m): 8:10pm On Feb 19, 2013
onetrack:

Don't be so quick to say that. I am living in a Muslim country and I spend a bit of time on one of their forums showing them the fallacies related to Islam. What is excellent to see is that I'm no longer the lonely atheist over there. The apostates have been showing themselves recently in larger numbers, like here on nairaland. Now every religious post is subject to challenge on that site cool
you mind posting a link to that site. . .i have a lot I want to tell the murderous Mo
Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by Nobody: 8:10pm On Feb 19, 2013
ooman: @ OP very true

The christians know it and thats why they are missing from the thread. There is not one point they can disagree with here. My favourite is number 1
Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by poopli: 8:12pm On Feb 19, 2013
ooman: @ OP very true

very very
Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by Nobody: 8:25pm On Feb 19, 2013
poopli:

very very

Does that mean that christians will avoid this thread?
Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by poopli: 8:26pm On Feb 19, 2013
Logicboy03:

waiting for deepsight and co

2 Likes

Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by rhymz(m): 8:33pm On Feb 19, 2013
I do not agree with your submissions about the bible in no:5
The bible is not taken seriously by Atheists mostly because it largely contains fabricated hogwash with dizzying contradictions that defiles common sense.

It has been demonstrated with well documented citations and references from respected sources, historians, history books, commentaries from experts in egyptology, astrotheology, Roman and Greek Pagan mythologies, that Jesus Christ the centre piece of the Christian faith in a "God" was a piously created fabled hogwash Myth created by early Church fathers and christian historians, drawing copiously from the works of other Godmen myths like Krishna, Horus, Mithra and so on. He was no different, he belongs in thesame category as other myths before him; unprovable hogwash.
That is why the bible is hard to defend or used as a basis to counter any argument about the christian faith. There is too much alteration and Pius fraud.
Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by Nobody: 8:35pm On Feb 19, 2013
rhymz: I do not agree with your submissions about the bible in no:5
The bible is not taken seriously by Atheists mostly because it largely contains fabricated hogwash with dizzying contradictions that defiles common sense.

It has been demonstrated with well documented citations and references from respected sources, historians, history books, commentaries from experts in egyptology, astrotheology, Roman and Greek Pagan mythologies, that Jesus Christ the centre piece of the Christian faith in a "God" was a piously created fabled hogwash Myth created by early Church fathers and christian historians, drawing copiously from the works of other Godmen myths like Krishna, Horus, Mithra and so on. He was no different, he belongs in thesame category as other myths before him; unprovable hogwash.
That is why the bible is hard to defend or used as a basis to counter any argument about the christian faith. There is too much alteration and Pius fraud.

We are saying the same thing. I agree with you
Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by scarred: 8:47pm On Feb 19, 2013
Your premise has no weight neither is your argument colorable. To stand behind such a statement you must first prove that which you have set out to defend. You must show evidence of the Christians (that you know) that have become Atheists in the Religion Section. Your talking points are void and do not merit individual scrutiny unless you can show NOT JUST a pattern of Christians on this Section becoming Atheists, but you must also demonstrate that the reason they have done so are the reasons that you've enunciated.

In the absence of the above all you've set out to do is honour your own intellect, but you would not have succeeded in setting up any meaningful discourse, which I think should be the point.

1 Like

Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by Image123(m): 8:51pm On Feb 19, 2013
Logicboy03:

I guess they should, as their posts might be hidden like mine was.
Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by rhymz(m): 9:34pm On Feb 19, 2013
scarred: Your premise has no weight neither is your argument colorable. To stand behind such a statement you must first prove that which you have set out to defend. You must show evidence of the Christians (that you know) that have become Atheists in the Religion Section. Your talking points are void and do not merit individual scrutiny unless you can show NOT JUST a pattern of Christians on this Section becoming Atheists, but you must also demonstrate that the reason they have done so are the reasons that you've enunciated.

In the absence of the above all you've set out to do is honour your own intellect, but you would not have succeeded in setting up any meaningful discourse, which I think should be the point.
Well, I was a Christian or at least before my peers and family members I am a christian but with the benefits of hindsight, knowledge and maturity, I have come to the conclusion that Christianity just like every other religion was man's creation. I am well versed with the christian religion so I don't see what you are going to tell me about that I have not heard or read about it. I am more concerned with the fact that in the face of serioius academic and historical scrutiny, the bible is always exposed as just another invented compilation from men who originally were not even christians but were influence by the prevalent pegan beliefs of their time. It is disturbing that a majority of christians have very vague knowledge of the historicity of the bible and the characters in it.
Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by scarred: 9:38pm On Feb 19, 2013
rhymz: Well, I was a Christian or at least before my peers and family members I am a christian but with the benefits of hindsight, knowledge and maturity, I have come to the conclusion that Christianity just like every other religion was man's creation. I am well versed with the christian religion so I don't see what you are going to tell me about that I have not heard or read about it. I am more concerned with the fact that in the face of serioius academic and historical scrutiny, the bible is always exposed as just another invented compilation from men who originally were not even christians but were influence by the prevalent pegan beliefs of their time. It is disturbing that a majority of christians have very vague knowledge of the historicity of the bible and the characters in it.

So would I be right in assuming that you are now devoid of any sort of belief. Would I also be correct in assuming that you gained this 'Hindsight, knowledge and maturity' from discussions on this Thread?
Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by onetrack(m): 9:50pm On Feb 19, 2013
scarred:

So would I be right in assuming that you are now devoid of any sort of belief. Would I also be correct in assuming that you gained this 'Hindsight, knowledge and maturity' from discussions on this Thread?

The internet is turning many people towards atheism, because now people with doubts can easily look up information about the contradictions, myths, and absurdities in the 'holy books'. Previously this information would have been hard to find without going to a university library in a western country. Now even someone in Maiduguri can instantly access many critiques of the Bible and Quran. Reddit seems to be particularly effective.
Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by scarred: 10:03pm On Feb 19, 2013
onetrack:

The internet is turning many people towards atheism, because now people with doubts can easily look up information about the contradictions, myths, and absurdities in the 'holy books'. Previously this information would have been hard to find without going to a university library in a western country. Now even someone in Maiduguri can instantly access many critiques of the Bible and Quran. Reddit seems to be particularly effective.

I do not doubt this neither do I doubt that spirituality evolves and is hardly static. What I doubt is the original premise of this thread. I doubt that this forum in and of itself is enough to make Atheists of Theists. Yes one can be led to such sites as Reddit and even Youtube to gain access to information that would make you question your faith. Yet that which can be questioned can always be re-examined.

1 Like

Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by Nobody: 10:06pm On Feb 19, 2013
scarred:

I do not doubt this neither do I doubt that spirituality evolves and is hardly static. What I doubt is the original premise of this thread. I doubt that this forum in and of itself is enough to make Atheists of Theists. Yes one can be led to such sites as Reddit and even Youtube to gain access to information that would make you question your faith. Yet that which can be questioned can always be re-examined.

Wrong! I he had at least 3 ex christians that have left their faith because of arguments here. They replied me on threads long ago. However one example is on the logicboy effect thread. Will look for it.

Read the op
https://www.nairaland.com/1028529/defence-logicboy
Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by ooman(m): 10:07pm On Feb 19, 2013
Logicboy03:

Wrong! I he had at least 3 ex christians that have left their faith because of arguments here. They replied me on threads long ago. However one example is on the logicboy effect thread. Will look for it.

great wink
Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by scarred: 10:13pm On Feb 19, 2013
Logicboy03:

Then I stand corrected.
Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by rhymz(m): 10:20pm On Feb 19, 2013
scarred:

You must be mistaken me for one wanna-be NL Kid. Long before I joined NL I have always had problems reconciling biblical stories with historical facts and logic. I have even had problems with youth leaders in my parish over the way I question the irrationality of some of the church doctrines. I once got into trouble for openly condemning the worship of Mary and other statues in school-I went to a catholic school by the way, St Finbarr's College Akoka. So I did not start anything here I only found out I could openly discuss these issues here without risking mob attack and lynching from anyone like I have had to experience many times even as recent as during my Service year. I stayed in family house NACC but had serious problem over religious beliefs and doctrines with almost everyone else since they were all die hard catholics. I am not your average follow follow commentator here. You can even look up threads that I have created in the past on NL is religious issues, they are not your usual let's fight christian threads. I am not into that but I will use every opportunity I have here to puncture the christian claim to truth and eternity.
I have read both christian history from the church and outside the church to know better and argue from an informed point. I don't believe in mental restriction in the name of faith, that is a boring excuse to hide the truth. Besides, I never said I was an atheist, I just don't believe the christian bullcrap and all most all other religious hogwash. Organized religion is not my thing. Stop assuming, if you have questions you wanna ask me go ahead.
Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by Nobody: 9:29am On Feb 20, 2013
Another point is that we find many christians repeating lies that make their beliefs sound logical due to pressure from atheists;

A great example is the student vs atheist professor lie;
https://www.nairaland.com/1038465/argument-between-professor-student
https://www.nairaland.com/978778/students-wins-atheist-proffesor
https://www.nairaland.com/787438/christain-student-shames-athest-professor
https://www.nairaland.com/259804/conversation-between-atheist-professor-student

This hoax of a story has been repeated so many times that we now expect some newbie christian to put it up once a month
Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by Nobody: 10:06am On Feb 20, 2013
6) Many atheists, few christians

We find here on Nairaland that most atheists here can argue and defend atheism on their own. However the average christian here can not face the deep philosophical questions- they have to leave it up to special apologists like Anony, Frosbel and co.
Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by cyrexx: 11:03am On Feb 20, 2013
Logicboy03:

Read the op
https://www.nairaland.com/1028529/defence-logicboy

Testimony Time.

I was a Christian before I joined nairaland, but now I am a fully convinced proud godless atheist. Thanks mainly to nairaland threads especially this one by Avicenna a while ago https://www.nairaland.com/914444/abandoned-religion-god-today-im

And I think Avicenna also claim he transitioned from Islam to atheism through one or more of Logicboy threads.
Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by Nobody: 11:12am On Feb 20, 2013
cyrexx:

Testimony Time.

I was a Christian before I joined nairaland, but now I am a fully convinced proud godless atheist. Thanks mainly to nairaland threads especially this one by Avicenna a while ago https://www.nairaland.com/914444/abandoned-religion-god-today-im

And I think Avicenna also claim he transitioned from Islam to atheism through one or more of Logicboy threads.

Cheers bro.

However, you suprised me when you said that you were married! Is it true?
Re: Why Religion Section Will Always Turn Christians Into Atheists, Not Vice Versa by cyrexx: 11:17am On Feb 20, 2013
Logicboy03:

Cheers bro.

However, you suprised me when you said that you were married! Is it true?

Yes, true. Happily married.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

There Is No Heaven Or Hell. This Is What Happens When We Die (Images & Videos) / A List Of Over 700 Inconsistencies In The Bible!!! / Buccaneers Confraternity Trades Words With The Pyrates Confraternity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.