Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,836 members, 7,798,816 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:49 AM

Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres (12645 Views)

Foreign Tabloids Mock Nigerian Movie "Spider Girl' In Hilarious Movie Review / Nigerian Movie "30 Days in Atlanta” Gets 10 Nominations In U.S. / Which Movie Makes U Feel Like Sleeping? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by Nobody: 8:31pm On Feb 19, 2013
A Nollywood movie titled `Dr Bello' will be making history as the first Nigerian movie to debut in the U.S. theatres on Feb. 22, its producer, Mr Tony Abulu, has said.

Abulu on Monday in Abuja said that the movie would be released in the U.S. theatres from Feb. 22 to Feb. 27.

He said the movie, worth N150 million, would explore the foreign exchange potentials that abound in the U.S. film industry.

The development, according to Abulu, will also create a platform for other Nigerian movies to sell in the U.S. market.

“This is the second largest theatre chain in America with over 5000 screens and this portends great opportunity for Nigeria, because apart from “Dr Bello” other movies can come through this same agreement.

“The only catch is that they have to be very well produced and they have to be targeted to an American audience, not all the Nigerian movies can do it; there will be a select group of Nigerian movies that can come through that channel.

“But I think, as time goes on, we can begin to see the millions of dollars of foreign exchange revenue that we have been hoping for from a place like the U.S.''

Abulu praised the performance of the Nigerian film industry in projecting the image of the country overseas, adding that the quality of movies currently produced in the country were encouraging.

“The kind of movies we are making now are the quality of movies that I believe can have the capabilities to disclaim in the US theatres, but one of the prerequisite is that Americans would normally like to see one or two of their own actors in the movies.

“So we have very good film makers in Nigeria and I can account for at least about 25 of them that I think have the capacity and capability to make such films. ''

The producer said that the production of the film was supported by Federal Government's $200 million intervention fund, adding that an endowment fund was still needed to boost activities of the entertainment industry.

According to him, the AMC agreed to expand the film to a wider release if there was a strong performance during the critical make-or-break first week of its release.

Abulu, who is also the writer and director of “Dr Bello'', said that the release of the move in U.S. would strengthen the Nigerian film industry.

He said that it would provide better opportunities for professionals in the industry as well as enable films get more elaborate in terms of their scope.

“Once the revenue begins to increase of the films, everybody benefits.

“The industry gets stronger because there is more funding in the industry, producers now can spend more money in making movies.

“Instead of making movies at an average of N5 million, now you are making movies at an average of N40 million.

“That means locations are paid for, actors and the entire crew are paid more for their work and they can bring in a lot more actors in the movies and the movies can get more elaborate in terms of their scope.

“So by extension, a lot of people will benefit just by distributing the Nollywood movies in the U.S. market.''

“The cure for cancer has been found in the sky mountains of Africa and an American oncologist will risk everything to find it.''

The movie, 'Dr Bello', will be starring Isaiah Washington, Vivica Fox, Jimmy Jean-Luis and Nigerian superstars Genevieve Nnaji and Stephanie Okereke.

The film will open at AMC theatres in New York, New Jersey Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston, Dallas, Miami and Jacksonville.

source: http://odili.net/news/source/2013/feb/19/300.html

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by manny4life(m): 9:08pm On Feb 19, 2013
Not bad, at least f they can get 100,000 people across the U.S. to view the movie, then they have at least covered their cost less royalties, fees, etc. It's time for the marketing efforts if it's gonna be a sell, if the movie was worth it, selling out on it won't be a problem particularly since it's a foreign movie... Something different on the screens.
Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by Acreate(m): 6:32am On Feb 20, 2013
gud to hear
Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by semid4lyfe(m): 11:16am On Feb 20, 2013
Indian movies have been showing in U.S theatres for eons and a "Nollywood" movie is just making it's debut? undecided

Anyway, there's always a first time. Hope the movie does well it's first week . . . .

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by Orikinla(m): 11:28am On Feb 20, 2013
I am happy for Tony.
Its all good for Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by Nobody: 11:29am On Feb 20, 2013
This calls for celebration !!!!!!!! Dancing lagos to sweto and sipping alomo and ogogoro now. Abeg who get cassaflakes aka garri shd borrow me one cup o
Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by Nobody: 11:31am On Feb 20, 2013
. [color=#000099][/color]Make i com dey dance abi wetin? Wen chinese and indian movies dey show there since___thumbs up to uncle ABULU all the same.
Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by devigblegble: 11:31am On Feb 20, 2013
Ok Boss I've heard but my paycheck won't change so not my bizness
Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by executinal(m): 11:31am On Feb 20, 2013
Good development in the right direction

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by infodollarman(m): 11:32am On Feb 20, 2013
CFCfan: A Nollywood movie titled `Dr Bello' will be making history as the first Nigerian movie to debut in the U.S. theatres on Feb. 22, its producer, Mr Tony Abulu, has said.

Abulu on Monday in Abuja said that the movie would be released in the U.S. theatres from Feb. 22 to Feb. 27.

He said the movie, worth N150 million, would explore the foreign exchange potentials that abound in the U.S. film industry.

The development, according to Abulu, will also create a platform for other Nigerian movies to sell in the U.S. market.

“This is the second largest theatre chain in America with over 5000 screens and this portends great opportunity for Nigeria, because apart from “Dr Bello” other movies can come through this same agreement.

“The only catch is that they have to be very well produced and they have to be targeted to an American audience, not all the Nigerian movies can do it; there will be a select group of Nigerian movies that can come through that channel.

“But I think, as time goes on, we can begin to see the millions of dollars of foreign exchange revenue that we have been hoping for from a place like the U.S.''

Abulu praised the performance of the Nigerian film industry in projecting the image of the country overseas, adding that the quality of movies currently produced in the country were encouraging.

“The kind of movies we are making now are the quality of movies that I believe can have the capabilities to disclaim in the US theatres, but one of the prerequisite is that Americans would normally like to see one or two of their own actors in the movies.

“So we have very good film makers in Nigeria and I can account for at least about 25 of them that I think have the capacity and capability to make such films. ''

The producer said that the production of the film was supported by Federal Government's $200 million intervention fund, adding that an endowment fund was still needed to boost activities of the entertainment industry.

According to him, the AMC agreed to expand the film to a wider release if there was a strong performance during the critical make-or-break first week of its release.

Abulu, who is also the writer and director of “Dr Bello'', said that the release of the move in U.S. would strengthen the Nigerian film industry.

He said that it would provide better opportunities for professionals in the industry as well as enable films get more elaborate in terms of their scope.

“Once the revenue begins to increase of the films, everybody benefits.

“The industry gets stronger because there is more funding in the industry, producers now can spend more money in making movies.

“Instead of making movies at an average of N5 million, now you are making movies at an average of N40 million.

“That means locations are paid for, actors and the entire crew are paid more for their work and they can bring in a lot more actors in the movies and the movies can get more elaborate in terms of their scope.

“So by extension, a lot of people will benefit just by distributing the Nollywood movies in the U.S. market.''

“The cure for cancer has been found in the sky mountains of Africa and an American oncologist will risk everything to find it.''

The movie, 'Dr Bello', will be starring Isaiah Washington, Vivica Fox, Jimmy Jean-Luis and Nigerian superstars Genevieve Nnaji and Stephanie Okereke.

The film will open at AMC theatres in New York, New Jersey Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston, Dallas, Miami and Jacksonville.

source: http://odili.net/news/source/2013/feb/19/300.html
congratulations Naija!
Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by Nobody: 11:33am On Feb 20, 2013
chiover: This calls for celebration !!!!!!!! Dancing lagos to sweto and sipping alomo and ogogoro now. Abeg who get cassaflakes aka garri shd borrow me one cup o
your own Don finish! angry
Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by kufre2010: 11:35am On Feb 20, 2013
Is easy to criticise that d Nigeria movie just entered us market, at least nobody stop d cretics frm taking the movie there themselves. Bravo to d producer for his creativity and foresightness

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by EkoAtlantic: 11:36am On Feb 20, 2013
semid4lyfe: Indian movies have been showing in U.S theatres for eons and a "Nollywood" movie is just making it's debut? undecided

Anyway, there's always a first time. Hope the movie does well it's first week . . . .

You're right
We're always the third position worldwide in movie production(Quantity) behind the US and India.

We dominates in Africa and now to the global level.
It's a gradual step, be calm
Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by OkparaIgbo: 11:36am On Feb 20, 2013
Nice one Nollywood..Carry go.! R.I.P to the Founding fathers/actors of this great industry who may have left for the other side... cry
Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by Ivynwa(f): 11:38am On Feb 20, 2013
Alleluiah! We are good, ain't we? grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by Nuzo1(m): 11:38am On Feb 20, 2013
I won't celebrate until a movie with a Nigerian storyline, production crew and location are all sources from Nigeria....shows in US theatres.

I commend Abulu's effort tho'.
Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by Nobody: 11:39am On Feb 20, 2013
150m naira for a movie thats lyk $1m still small sha but the young shall grow
Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by Nobody: 11:41am On Feb 20, 2013
So??....
Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by kiiababs: 11:42am On Feb 20, 2013
Gud to know. П̥̥̲̣̣Ơ͡t surprised tho cos d highlights ȋ̝̊̅§ so interesting smiley
Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by EkoAtlantic: 11:44am On Feb 20, 2013
Q
semid4lyfe: Indian movies have been showing in U.S theatres for eons and a "Nollywood" movie is just making it's debut? undecided

You're right
We're always the third position worldwide in movie production(Quantity) behind the US and India.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by vizboy(m): 11:46am On Feb 20, 2013
nice

make i go my customer place go check if i go see the film since i no go fit go theatre
Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by tigonana: 11:46am On Feb 20, 2013
If u watch d movie now slip no go let u rxt, hmm nigeria movies..
Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by hollypagan: 11:53am On Feb 20, 2013
Nigeria is coming up, thanks be to God

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by OluEmmaAss: 11:58am On Feb 20, 2013
Naija is the best. I only hope we will support technology and entrepreneurship in much the same way.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by Afam4eva(m): 12:12pm On Feb 20, 2013
It might not even be recognized as a Nigerian movie because the lead actor is an American. We need a movie with 100% Nigerian Actors and content.
Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by klumsy: 12:16pm On Feb 20, 2013
Eko Atlantic:

You're right

with which concepts d one's we repeat? don't tink so
Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by Vlyrics: 12:19pm On Feb 20, 2013
I still tink wit piracy eradicated, nigerian movie industry can do grt in naija dan d U.S. We have d population, d talent and nw d reputable producers.. Y cant a movie sell 5million ORIGINAL copies in niger if piracy is eradicated. We have an untapped market here y go U.S
Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by Biggysmalls919(m): 12:20pm On Feb 20, 2013
Afam4eva: It might not even be recognized as a Nigerian movie because the lead actor is an American. We need a movie with 100% Nigerian Actors and content.
thats what is called marketing strategy. U need to capture some other group of audience. I still dont watch naija films; house boys dramas, witches and wizards, ur son will not marry my daughter and vice versa dramas etc., but i saw the snippets of this film. It wasnt bad as regards to nollywood.
Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by Afam4eva(m): 12:23pm On Feb 20, 2013
Biggysmalls919: thats what is called marketing strategy. U need to capture some other group of audience. I still dont watch naija films; house boys dramas, witches and wizards, ur son will not marry my daughter and vice versa dramas etc., but i saw the snippets of this film. It wasnt bad as regards to nollywood.
How come Bollywood did not use this strategy? Bollywood movies are usually 100% Indian yet they're popular the world over.
Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by Afam4eva(m): 12:25pm On Feb 20, 2013
Btw, what does the term "debut" mean? If it's what i think it means then several Nigerian movies have been debuted in the US. I can remember Genevieve went for one in Baltimore, Maryland. Can't remember the name of the movie now.
Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by Nobody: 12:26pm On Feb 20, 2013
Good for nollywood
Re: Nigerian Movie Makes History, Debuts In U.S. Theatres by Gentlegun(m): 12:37pm On Feb 20, 2013
Wish u success

(1) (2) (Reply)

Super Story - Because You Loved Me And Many Others Now Available On The Internet / 5 Ways To Make Money In The Film Industry / Celebrities At Nigerian Idols Premiere Episode Screening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.