Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:59 AM

He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice (11861 Views)

N800,000 Credit Alert From An Unknown Person - Please Advice / My Friend Says "No Going Back On His Decision" On Vegetable Farming / Atuche Refuses To Resign As BankPHB CEO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by oniwo(m): 10:42pm On Feb 19, 2013
My friend has HND accountancy and during his youth service he gained employed with a company that pays him less than #50000 a month. After working with the company for 5 years he now want to resign and ventures into vegetable farming. Though he had a fish pond where he lives & 1998 Toyota Hilux. He is planning to lease about 4 hectares of land in a village in Delta state.
Please members in the house advise him.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by targus: 8:27am On Feb 20, 2013
He will be making the best decision of his life, he can never go wrong as long as everything is properly planned and it require a lot of hard work as well.

4 Likes

Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by cunlebaale(m): 10:44am On Feb 20, 2013
Best wishes. Plz Dats a gud option 4 u bro. 'Invest in Agriculture'

1 Like

Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by Seun(m): 11:00am On Feb 20, 2013
How successful is his fish pond business? How detailed are his calculations for the vegetable farming business?
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by honeypiegirl(f): 12:11pm On Feb 20, 2013
dats gud bro,i did the same tin only mine was double,im an event planner and a farmer though study statistic,gud luck
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by Nobody: 7:15pm On Feb 20, 2013
if the fish pond is generating profits close to #30K profit and you think you know all there is to know about vegetable farming, then why not. everything is a gradual process. just dont dabble start into many things at same time frame sha.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by DorcasKaruana: 1:50pm On Feb 21, 2013
He only needs to have a good exit strategy which is well calculated knowing the risks involved and how to counter them. This is a good move if well thought of, sice if it picks up, he will never go wrong.

Agriculture is sustainable source of income for many and if the timing is right you get constant money. A simple but overlooked way to be successful. So go ahead.

www.careerpointkenya.com
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by Druss(m): 2:06pm On Feb 21, 2013
IT is not a bad idea. By the time he is fully into it .. He would earn more than 50000 per month. 50000 is just less than 2000 naira per day. Are you telling me you cant make 2000 naira profit per day?
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by olushowunm(m): 10:05pm On Feb 21, 2013
@OP... FARMING IS NOT FOR PPLE WHO ARE ACCUSTOMED TO FIXED INCOME, IF YOU ARE MARRIED, YOU ARE PUTTING YOUR FAMILY AT GREAT RISKS... WELL, I'M INTO FARMING TOO AND I THINK I DROPPED MY COMMENT ON YOUR FIRST POST!
I ADVISE YOU TO FIRST START WITH CASSAVA AND HAVE A PILOT SCHEME FOR YOUR VEGETABLES... THIS YOU CAN DEVOTE TIME TO ON SATURDAYS AND SUNDAYS AND OTHER FREE TIME... CASSAVA IS NOT THAT TIME CONSUMING LIKE VEGETABLES... YOU CAN CONTACT ME VIA OLUSHOWUNMI2@GMAIL.COM FOR MORE ADVICE...

2 Likes

Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by Curiouscity(m): 11:08pm On Feb 21, 2013
Vegetable farming, way to go!!
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by naijacutee(f): 11:26pm On Feb 26, 2013
Suggested for the front page

1 Like

Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by Nobody: 12:00am On Feb 27, 2013
Let him read this book by Robert Kiyosaki: Rich Dad's before you quit your job

1 Like

Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by kayjegs: 1:26am On Feb 27, 2013
If you want to go into vegetable farming, check this thread and you can buy my book which explained everything about it including the cost and profit analysis. There are some other agribusinesses you can do.

https://www.nairaland.com/1163912/funds-not-business-actually-need
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by Lakayana: 3:32pm On Feb 27, 2013
By the grace of God he will never regret it we have too many mouths that are always looking for food it is the best business now in 9ja.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by lagbaja(m): 3:35pm On Feb 27, 2013
Great decision. 4 things you must do to be successful as a vegetable farmer
1. make sure you have access to adequate water (you need at least 10,000 litres of water per day to irrigate 1 hectare)
2. Use a drip Irrigation system (buy emitter or drip tapes, that is what you will use to water the plants everyday and to also apply fertilizer straight to the roots. read about it)and a green house if you can afford one , it costs much but you wont regret the decision.
3. Get hybrid seeds. Tomatoes is the most lucrative. You can make over 50m on one hectare of land per annum if you do green house farming.
4. Use fertilizers, either organic or inorganic.

Best of luck

6 Likes

Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by RedLight1: 3:36pm On Feb 27, 2013
not bad
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by braxjay(m): 3:40pm On Feb 27, 2013
as the old people say " a bird in hand is worth more then two in the bush".

first, hold on with the resignation and try to make out time to see how profitable the new business would be. if you see it as something gainful, then resigning would be good OR

secondly and more importantly do both simultaneously, plan your time well and manage them to the best you can (if need be get some employees while u supervise and manage them) . trust me its always better to have more than one

source or revenue.

7 Likes

Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by iamswizz(m): 3:41pm On Feb 27, 2013
Up Barca grin
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by colombiana: 3:46pm On Feb 27, 2013
I think its the best decision, am sure he loves farming and he shud do wat he loves best, na 50k e wan use take marry raise children. Self employment is best. Yes boss yes sir for peanuts mtchewww

1 Like

Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by Nobody: 3:53pm On Feb 27, 2013
iamswizz: Up Barca grin
drogba dey ur head
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by healthcons: 3:55pm On Feb 27, 2013
To go into farming. You need a lot of money.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by Fhemmmy: 3:57pm On Feb 27, 2013
I am not sure if resignation would be a good idea for the following reasons:
He is going into a territory that he is yet to be sure of the outcome.
Always good to have something at hand while you explore something else.
Once you start and things are going well, then, you could let go of your employment, and also, that is not a kinda business that you have to stay there all day and all week, if it is about the farming, cos there is a lengthy period of time between when you plant and grown to be harvested and be processed into Oil

3 Likes

Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by ogb5(m): 4:01pm On Feb 27, 2013
might be the best decision and also the worst decision of his life. It depends on several factors.

Vegetable farming is more profitable when done close to a big city as the sales cost of the vegetable is higher in the city and cost of taking it to market will be less.
So lacation of the business is a big success factor.
However there are several issues he need to look at.

1st why does he want to go into farming. Is that is passion or thats what he can afford.

How will he manage with money between when he starts and when the vegetable will be ready for market.

What happens during the off season when he will not be raising any vegetable.
What does he know about vegetable farming
what does he know about running a business, being a small business owner means in most cases you will be jack of all trades.

Has he thought of all the risks involved, and how to manage them.
How much does he really think he can make from a 4 hectare farm to support him. Thats just a little above subsistence farming depending on what he is growing.

I once had a 20 hectare farm in delta state, Fulani heldsmen started grazing the cattle on my crops. If it was my only source of income, maybe I would have murdered someone then.
Your friend should look well before he leap and at thesame time it is very refreshing to be a successful enterpreneur.

3 Likes

Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by Fhemmmy: 4:03pm On Feb 27, 2013
ogb5: might be the best decision and also the worst decision of his life. It depends on several factors.

Vegetable farming is more profitable when done close to a big city as the sales cost of the vegetable is higher in the city and cost of taking it to market will be less.
So lacation of the business is a big success factor.
However there are several issues he need to look at.

1st why does he want to go into farming. Is that is passion or thats what he can afford.

How will he manage with money between when he starts and when the vegetable will be ready for market.

What happens during the off season when he will not be raising any vegetable.
What does he know about vegetable farming
what does he know about running a business, being a small business owner means in most cases you will be jack of all trades.

Has he thought of all the risks involved, and how to manage them.
How much does he really think he can make from a 4 hectare farm to support him. Thats just a little above subsistence farming depending on what he is growing.

I once had a 20 hectare farm in delta state, Fulani heldsmen started grazing the cattle on my crops. If it was my only source of income, maybe I would have murdered someone then.
Your friend should look well before he leap and at thesame time it is very refreshing to be a successful enterpreneur.

Nice advice . . .

1 Like

Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by donofdons: 4:06pm On Feb 27, 2013
[size=18pt]you must be a very big 400ل.you want to resign and farm vegetables....let me tell you something jar head.i have been farming cassava for 3 years now because i read a stupid
Motivational book called rich dad and poor dad and decided to leave my job and now i have become a poor dad.better keep your job or let me take it and maybe give you my farm[/size]

5 Likes

Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by ogb5(m): 4:10pm On Feb 27, 2013
donofdons: [size=18pt]you must be a very big 400ل.you want to resign and farm vegetables....let me tell you something jar head.i have been farming cassava for 3 years now because i read a stupid
Motivational book called rich dad and poor dad and decided to leave my job and now i have become a poor dad.better keep your job or let me take it and maybe give you my farm[/size]

Poor dad Kpele grin

Next time look before you leap
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by kissoflife: 4:12pm On Feb 27, 2013
donofdons: [size=18pt]you must be a very big 400ل.you want to resign and farm vegetables....let me tell you something jar head.i have been farming cassava for 3 years now because i read a stupid
lmao, very funny story, u'd do better as a comedian....
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by kamalo: 4:22pm On Feb 27, 2013
i hope he makes a good decision.he should consult b4 he ventures into it
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by dosibuch(m): 4:28pm On Feb 27, 2013
lagbaja: Great decision. 4 things you must do to be successful as a vegetable farmer
1. make sure you have access to adequate water (you need at least 10,000 litres of water per day to irrigate 1 hectare)
2. Use a drip Irrigation system (buy emitter or drip tapes, that is what you will use to water the plants everyday and to also apply fertilizer straight to the roots. read about it)and a green house if you can afford one , it costs much but you wont regret the decision.
3. Get hybrid seeds. Tomatoes is the most lucrative. You can make over 50m on one hectare of land per annum if you do green house farming.
4. Use fertilizers, either organic or in

if he has been earning less than 50k a month 4d last 5yrs, do u tnk he can afford these.

@OP, he should reach out 2veggie farmers in d area he is going 2, they will be of better aid.
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by MadCow1: 4:29pm On Feb 27, 2013
Has your friend considered Ogwu Ego business?!!

The profit margin is high and the capital is next to nothing!
Re: He Wants To Resign & Do Vegetable Farming - Please Advice by Fhemmmy: 4:30pm On Feb 27, 2013
dosibuch:

if he has been earning less than 50k a month 4d last 5yrs, do u tnk he can afford these.

@OP, he should reach out 2veggie farmers in d area he is going 2, they will be of better aid.

I am sure that the OP would probably look into how to get some kinda fund to make this happen, cos to lease lands aint cheap either and to get all needed to make it happen, so while he is putting the money together, might worth it to account for some stuff that could make him do it well and be successful

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Palm Oil Production By States In Nigeria / 1500 Liters Plastic Fish Tank For Sale / What You Stand To Gain When You Register Your Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.