Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,462 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:19 PM

Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents (10097 Views)

Jesus Christ Is The Father Of My Baby, Pregnant Teen Claims / Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude / Pregnant Teen Murder's Mom Because She Didn’t Want To Abort Her Baby - (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by Nobody: 4:38am On Feb 20, 2013
A pregnant teen who sued her parents, claiming they were coercing her to have an abortion, will be able to give birth to her baby.

16-year-old girl's boyfriend and lawyer appeared outside of court on Monday.
(Image Credit: ABC News)

Attorneys representing the 16-year-old girl were granted a long-term injunction against the girl's parents in Texas family court on Monday, according to court documents.

The teen is 10 weeks pregnant and the injunction will last for the duration of her pregnancy.

As part of the order, the girl will be able to use her car to go to school, work and medical appointments. Her parents had taken away the use of the car as part of their effort to force an abortion, court papers stated.

The teen's parents will be liable for half of the hospital bill when she gives birth, unless she is married to the baby's 16-year-old father.

"We are extremely happy with the judge's decision today and we are very proud of our teenage client for being strong enough to stand against her parents to save her unborn child's life," Greg Terra, president of the Texas Center for Defense of Life, said in a blog post on the group's website.

Attorneys filed a lawsuit on the teen's behalf earlier this month arguing that her parents "are violating her federal constitutional rights to carry her child to term by coercing her to have an abortion with both verbal and physical threats and harassment."

The teen, identified in the lawsuit only as R.E.K. since she is a minor, was "beside herself" when she called the center for help, her lawyer Stephen Casey told ABCNews.com last week. The group claims it has previously represented teens in similar situations and won their cases.

"These girls are in a bind, particularly in a situation where their parents are forcing them to do something they don't want to do," Casey said. "Regardless of the [situation], that's her parents and she should expect support from them in this situation, not resentment and anger."

When the pregnancy was confirmed, the teenager's father allegedly "became extremely angry, was insistent that R.E.K. was not having the baby, and that the decision was not up to her, according to the lawsuit. He stated he was going to take her to have an abortion and that the decision was his, end of story."

The teen claimed in the lawsuit that her parents had taken away her phone, pulled her out of school, forced her to get two jobs and took away her car in an effort to "make her miserable so that she would give in to the coercion and have the abortion."'

SOURCE
Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by sugarcoatted(f): 4:58am On Feb 20, 2013
Good... The girl should be allowed to decide if she wants a baby or not
Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by baby124: 5:10am On Feb 20, 2013
This is some bullsh*it. Why are the parents having to pay for her hospital bills? She and the small boy here know how to do adult things, let them pay and take care of all the responsibility. The court has no right to force the parents to pay her hospital bills. They should drop her from their insurance. It is the states baby, let them pay for it. Where do we draw thw line, I mean really? These kids need to know having babies here and there is not ideal or a joke. Mtscheew!

18 Likes

Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by Nobody: 5:40am On Feb 20, 2013
This is a victory for morality........

2 Likes

Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by DJDOLA(m): 9:15am On Feb 20, 2013
how i which is nigeria...for now d girl can not walk free in d street for some guys will be mockin her

1 Like

Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by MadCow1: 9:15am On Feb 20, 2013
So the small ashawo f`ucked around and got pregnant, her father says abort, she says NO! Now the court is forcing him to take care of her?! WHY?!

He should kick her filthy behind out of his house jor!! angry

2 Likes

Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by Nwogbe: 9:15am On Feb 20, 2013
ok
Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by nekaa(f): 9:16am On Feb 20, 2013
Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by unnamed: 9:17am On Feb 20, 2013
brosss: This is a victory for morality........
i think you mean immorality grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by vanstanzy(m): 9:21am On Feb 20, 2013
See what modernization has caused. Battling ur blood-parents in the law court, sign of no respect at all.

Modernization don spoil things, i tell u. embarassed embarassed embarassed Couldnt they have sorted it outside the law court? But the parents

are crazy sha, supposing she die nko?

1 Like

Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by gerrardomendes(m): 9:21am On Feb 20, 2013
children playing with adult stuff.
Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by HectorTroy: 9:21am On Feb 20, 2013
Roe V Wade....

1 Like

Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by surveycash(m): 9:22am On Feb 20, 2013
unnamed: i think you mean immorality grin grin grin

Depends on the angle from which you view it. When abnormality re-occurs frequently, it tends to become normal..Abnormal normality..mtchew
Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by vanstanzy(m): 9:23am On Feb 20, 2013
These teens, they feel they know everything. Was like that too when i was a teen. Always too hasty!

Well good for the girl sha. Just remember to invite me for the babys' Christening and name him/ her after me, Chinedu.

1 Like

Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by drnoel: 9:23am On Feb 20, 2013
sugarcoatted: Good... The girl should be allowed to decide if she wants a baby or not
Is the that what u think? So she should decide, as she decided to open her ass 4 at d age of 16 for her 16 year old boyfriend. Well if u say so,...me I beg to defer..

1 Like

Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by Sisom(f): 9:26am On Feb 20, 2013
what is this world turning into
Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by warrikid(m): 9:27am On Feb 20, 2013
So if the girl had succumbed to the parents abbortion pressure,who do u think wud have paid for that? The Parents for sure.
So make dem pay as court cacth dem so. Abbortion is murder,e no get anoda name u won call am.
Victory for the more moral immorality if u ask me.
Two wrongs cnt make a right,buh 1 right can wrong a previous wrong.shikena.

1 Like

Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by gerrardomendes(m): 9:27am On Feb 20, 2013
children playing with adult stuff. rememba wen my sis got pregnant,dad asked me to find someone and impregnate
Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by theripper2: 9:28am On Feb 20, 2013
The parents suppose bundle am go give him useless boyfriend.
Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by Nobody: 9:29am On Feb 20, 2013
I'm just glad she decided to keep the baby...but early marriages,not advisable.

1 Like

Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by Ruthnkem(f): 9:29am On Feb 20, 2013
Come try am for 9ja,u go never pack to meet who give u
Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by Emoticon: 9:29am On Feb 20, 2013
baby_123: This is some bullsh*it. Why are the parents having to pay for her hospital bills? She and the small boy here know how to do adult things, let them pay and take care of all the responsibility. The court has no right to force the parents to pay her hospital bills. They should drop her from their insurance. It is the states baby, let them pay for it. Where do we draw thw line, I mean really? These kids need to know having babies here and there is not ideal or a joke. Mtscheew!
I think I somehow agree with u.
Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by pedor(m): 9:33am On Feb 20, 2013
i so love Nigeria, it wont and will neva happen in 9ja...fu*k d whites and their stupid civilization
Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by jmoore(m): 9:36am On Feb 20, 2013
Yes she won the battle against terrorist abortionist.
Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by whealthy(m): 9:38am On Feb 20, 2013
an evil and an evil. premarital birth or abortion? religionists and moralists, which way?
Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by Nobody: 9:42am On Feb 20, 2013
[size=13pt]The parents have every right to be angry at their teenage daughter who decided to study her boyfriend rather than her books. They handled it very wrongly however. Seizing her phone and car can be justified as I'm assuming they're the ones who paid for them. However, making her work two jobs and trying to force her to have an abortion is wrong on so many levels. It is her first pregnancy and it's their grandchild. They were rather heartless. Two wrongs don't make a right. It doesn't sound like the topic was even up for discussion.

Ethics and personal beliefs aside, parents should not force their children to have a surgical procedure that is not recommended or necessary. It's because of this action they tried to take that the girl had the right to file a lawsuit in the first place. Cause and effect. The girl has every right to decide what to do with her pregnancy. That's the bottom line. As her parents were endangering her and the unborn, she had every reason to get lawyers involved.

With that said and as this girl now believes she's an adult woman, she needs to find a way to provide for her child, especially considering that her parents aren't too keen on getting involved. Her boyfriend seems supportive as the two of them fought this case. So, she should consider moving in with him and/or his family for support. If she wants to be treated like an adult, then she has to start acting like one. That includes finding a job, possibly selling her car and phone for baby expenses, etc.

Khaki no be leather. She's simply not ready, but it's her decision, so she has to face them head on. Sacrifices have to be made on her part.[/size]

6 Likes

Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by jimiphunmmy(f): 9:43am On Feb 20, 2013
Mad Cow: So the small ashawo f`ucked around and got pregnant, her father says abort, she says NO! Now the court is forcing him to take care of her?! WHY?!

He should kick her filthy behind out of his house jor!! angry

does having sex make u an ashawo....?...shit
Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by vanstanzy(m): 9:44am On Feb 20, 2013
sugarcoatted: Good... The girl should be allowed to decide if she wants a baby or not

Moreso, the pregnancy is 10 weeks (or was it the law proceedings that made it so?), abortion at this stage is very

risky. Her body is still very young and fragile, she may lose her life. The mistake has been done, and its done, nothing

can take it back now.
Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by Okworigeorge(m): 9:47am On Feb 20, 2013
beta no try am 4 9ja, xcept u wan pack out
Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by greatgod2012(f): 9:48am On Feb 20, 2013
Civilisation!
Child dragging parents to court, well, at least, im happy she didnt abort d baby sha.
Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by Parnassuss(m): 9:48am On Feb 20, 2013
warrikid: So if the girl had succumbed to the parents abbortion pressure,who do u think wud have paid for that? The Parents for sure.
So make dem pay as court cacth dem so. Abbortion is murder,e no get anoda name u won call am.
Victory for the more moral immorality if u ask me.
Two wrongs cnt make a right,buh 1 right can wrong a previous wrong.shikena.

Wisest words. She even brave enuf to carry the pikin, what I dont get is the court forcing the father to pay half her bills? Shey na she want the pikin!
Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents by hunkydory(m): 9:50am On Feb 20, 2013
baby_123: This is some bullsh*it. Why are the parents having to pay for her hospital bills? She and the small boy here know how to do adult things, let them pay and take care of all the responsibility. The court has no right to force the parents to pay her hospital bills. They should drop her from their insurance. It is the states baby, let them pay for it. Where do we draw thw line, I mean really? These kids need to know having babies here and there is not ideal or a joke. Mtscheew!
In your criticism of the court's decision,are you speaking with a knowledge of Texas laws or you are just saying your mind?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Are Men Natural Leaders? Are They More Intelligent Than Women? / I Need Help Handling My Son! / How Did You Prevent Your Parents' Toxic Marriage From Affecting Yours?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.